Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

#94

Ratings: 16,989 |  Reviews: 3,907

I haven't been the biggest Stout fan but I have heard nothing but high praise so I decided to give it a whirl. And I must say I am very pleased that I did.

Appearance: Oil..thick, black motor oil with a very thin brownish colored head. My wife thought it looked gross, but to me there was something very appealing about this one. That dark, rich tones gave away that it is going to be packed with flavor.

Smell: Coffee, coffee, some more coffee and a slight hint of some alcohol. As it sat for a few minutes I was then able to pick up slight hints of chocolate, but coffee was the dominant scent.

Taste: COFFEE!!!! Like a nice, rich cup of iced coffee with just enough chocolate to make this feel like an after dinner drink or dessert. Absolutely delicious.

Mouthfeel: It was smooth and silky on the tongue. A velvety texture making it feel all the more like a dessert than an actual beer.

Overall: I can say I definitely see the hype behind this beer and it absolutely deserves all the praise. As I have said before I have tried a few stouts but was never truly a fan of any of them. But if I can find some more out there that fall along the lines of this my beer haul will most definitely include some stouts.

Hands down best oatmeal stout I've had. Perfectly balanced sweet milk and bitter chocolate flavors along with coffee and vanilla backbone.

Bottled 11/19/11
Mild carbonation after a year age in the cellar. Poured very dark very rich, thick. Really nice looking.
Smells like coffee with creamer with some nice cocoa.
Taste is just outstanding slight bitterness but a fresh coffee taste. I think that the bitterness is coming from the bittersweet cocoa tones i got in the smell. No alcohol burn at all.
Mouthfeel is just right, perfect richness. Creamy you can feel that this beer is loaded with flavor.
All in all, so worth the wait. Really seemed to bring alot of qualities out. I would age this one again for just a year.

One of the best beers that I've ever had. Period. Excellent! It's so good that I'm going to buy the rest of the inventory at the liquor store near me, so as I'll have some for the year, due to it being seasonal. Yes, it's that good! (I'm drinking one right now!)

Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company