Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,688 | Ratings: 15,954
4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black with a nice tan head. Chocolate and dark coffee smells dominate. There are several complex flavors going on in this beer. Upfront coffee and oatmeal flavors lead to a nice chocolate finish. Very nice! Heavy mouthfeel with a silk component. Overall a tasty beer.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Delicious

A: Black, or black-brown, good brown head, looks delicious.

S: I'm not let down here, my nose picks up where my eyes left off. Coffee fills my nose here. Alcohol too.

T: Wowzers! Coffee Coffee Cofee, after that I get well balanced hints of chocolate, and maltness. It's delicious.

M/D: Smooth, Perfect feel for a drink of this magnitude.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Black with a one-finger mocha head. Good retention, dies down to a carpet of fine bubbles that leaves a trail of lace. Aroma is full of black coffee, cocoa, sugar cookies, biscuits. The taste has an initial assault of dark roasted malts and loads of black coffee. Some sugar and only the faintest touch of dark fruit are detectable behind all of the coffee which comes close to overwhelming everything. Personally I can't really pick out the chocolate. This is a good stout that brings coffee in my in ridiculous quantities, but balances that with a sweet backbone and lots of roasty goodness. Long coffee and roast finish.

Sure I have had more coffee thrown in my face, but that can get undesirable, and this is fully desirable. Full body, but not thick, the slippery oatmeal quality comes out as it warms. Nice medium smooth carbonation level. The coffee makes me take my time drinking this, but it drinks well. A bottle can be done solo, or it could be shared, yet I am glad I do not have to drink a bomber of this by my lonesome. For me Breakfast Stout is worth drinking on occasion, but not something I would spend energy in seeking out. This costs me $8 a pop and the bottle I had before this one was infected. Too bad we don't get Founders distribution.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

served in flute

a: a quick tight dark brown head, body is black opaque

s: notes of good espresso, sweetness and ice cream

t: coffee and chocolate ice cream, nice bitterness not too over bearing.

m: full mouthfeel but still crisp

d: very nice finish, clean, does not coat the mouth like you would think. a truly outstanding example. cheers

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured onto Stone 12th Anniv. glass.

A: Pours jet black with a huge (for a stout) mocha brown head. Leaves great lacing all the way down.

S: Smells like coffee and a hint of alcohol.

T: Taste is pretty solid... better than the KBS I had at the BBE (since everyone else abbreviates everything, I'll leave you to figure out that one) tapping. Strong coffee flavor balanced well by milk chocolate. Not too bitter, really. Oaty, with just a hint of alcohol. I love that aftertaste, espresso?

M/D: The oats definitely make this one so smooth. Carbonation is nice. Very full bodied and a bit sticky/syrupy.

Pretty good, I'm still not sure if this is worth the price, though. But, I think I got somewhat of a steal at $3.99/bottle while I saw the 4-paks going for $17.99... that makes me feel better.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a great beer... Just had a great pizza and beer party with friends from my church and someone brought this and I was a little sad that I had to share after tasting. It was delicious. Poured pitch black with little head. Strong coffee smells and wonderful coffee and coco taste. I sure hope I can find some more of this soon cause it was just such a smooth and wonderful tasting beer. Whether breakfast, lunch, dinner, or anytime in between this beer is fantastic.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a my oversized wine glass. Pours a very smooth black color with a nice mocha colored head that fades quickly. Looks just a like a stout should.
Smells like COFFEE!!! with some chocolatey, roasted malts somewhere in the background.
Taste like a strong cup'o' joe, with some hints of chocolate. I can detect the oatmeal and it provides a nice background.
Nice and creamy with just a little too much carbonation. Absolutely love this beer Founder's owns the coffee stout category.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Just got a four pack, sending one off and cellaring two. Hoping I can discern between cellared and non-cellared. Poured into an oversized wine glass jet black with a brownish-maroon ring. No head with an extremely minimal amount of lacing that doesn't coat the glass. It's 8:25p.m. and the OVERPOWERING coffee nose has me thinking I'm late for work! Chocolate and malt play the role of The Pips to the Gladys Knight that is the coffee nose. Very complimentary and one I could spend all night only taking giant whiffs of this beer and be content. Just as the coffee dominates the smell, it takes over the taste as well. I love a good cup or two of coffee each morning, but I was expecting the chocolate to come out differently in this - possibly sweeter? Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is present, but it reminds me of a baker's chocolate - very sharp. The malts do play off of the coffee well, however. Being surprised, actually very surprised, at the taste doesn't degrade this in my book as I now view it in a different yet positive light than my expectations going in. Mouthfeel is light, not chewy but coats the throat and leaves a noticeable aftertaste. I am only halfway through my beer and just like every morning 12 hours from now with my first large coffee, I find myself involuntarily wanting another. Well done, Founders, and thank you very much for the surprise (at least to me).

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Wow, one of my all time favorites.

Pours deep dark brown. The greatness of this beer starts with the aroma of roasted malt, cofee, choclate, smoke.

Taste starts with strong roasted malts, cofee, chocolate, bitterness all in balance and harmony.

The flavors remain through the middle and ends with a nice dry bitterness.

The taste lingers and prompts me to take the next sip.

Drink it close to room temp 60 to 65 degrees to get all the flavors.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours deep brown.Good sized head and fading to a light,thin lace.

The aroma of coffee,roasted malt and a chocolate hint.

The taste begins bitter with a sweetness that follows hand in hand. Some alcohol warmth and taste of coffee and oatmeal.
The feel was full bodied with a well balanced carbonation. Syrup feel was not sticky and it was very easy to drink. Great balance overall.

Notes: Great way to start the day,but I had one with pumpkin pancakes and maple sausage lightly coated with maple syrup.

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a goblet

A - A black color with only the lightest amber hues around the edges. Opaque like motor oil. Little carbonation head forms, and only a film is retained.

S - A combination of roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. Certainly a lean towards the coffee side, from something that seems cold steeped - strong. A caramel sweetness starts to become more apparent as the beer is decanted more.

T - Starts with an immediate bitter, astringent, acidic coffee bite. Nothing sweet on the start. Bitterness is strong in the mid-stream, without a hop note. Finishes with a more mild coffee bite which lightens the more its on the tongue, resulting in an interesting chocolate aftertaste.

M - Moderate body - not as thick as I would have thought from the appearance. Is very clinging, oily, coating on the tongue. Leaves behind a well defined resin.

D - A one time beer to say the least. Almost like I'm drinking coffee, with alcohol. Flavors are awfully direct, and the abv is a bit over the top.

An interesting beer, worth trying, but I don't think I'd add this to my regular rotation.

3.82/5  rDev -14.5%

I drank this from a bottle into a tulip.

This stour poured very thick, no carbonation, and dirty motor oil black. Not even a hint of brown in the light. It has very tan head, but it isn't very high or last very long. Lacing is really strong.

The smells very strongly of black coffee, and bitter chocolate. Very strong smell.

The taste is strong and a big mouthful. You taste it all over your mouth and throat as you swallow. It tastes very bitter and my biggest thought is cold coffee the whole time. I think this is very good but its just one note through and through. Its not a complex flavor which is a little disappointing.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Normally I would talk about pouring the beer into my glass. Well this beer is so thick I placed in my glass not poured. It's like motor oil coming out of the gate. Black as night. A trace of head. No lacing. The aroma is wonderful. Dark chocolate and coffee. So spot on with those two scents it's freaky. The flavor is intense smoked malt with chocolate coffee. It's like a mocha malt was melted and put in a bottle. Obviously this full bodied and robust. It's like a meal in a glass. Breakfast to be exact.... wait maybe that's why they call it... oh you know. Great Imperial stout.

4.11/5  rDev -8.1%

Got this in a trade from Sonicdescent

Pours a 2 finger chocolate head, body is pitch black and opaque. Head retention is above average and lacing is good

Smell is of bittersweet chocolate and fresh coffee grounds. The coffee and chocolate really overpower anything else in this beer. Hops and alcohol aren't detected at all, this smells like desert!

Taste is pretty similar to smell, first there is the bitter chocolate, then the bitter cold coffee taste is there. Hops are also present in the after taste, not like IPA hoppy, but just that bitterness of IBUs

Mouth feel is good, carbonation is well balanced. Body isnt as thick and rich as I was hoping for. Thats about the only downside I see to this beer. There isnt that thick creamy head I love from Imperial Stouts. It goes down pretty smooth though.

Drink ability is good. The 8.3 ABV is barely detected and this beer isnt really session able but I could easily go through 2 of these at a time. Bitterness from coffee and chocolate was definitely the main flavor in this beer and I didnt mind it one bit. I only wish it was a little thicker and richer, still very good beer, worth trading again

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

A - poured like motor oil out of the bottle into my snifter. Jet black in appearance with a very minimal head.

S - the smell was kind of all over the place - there is a lot going on in it. Dark, roasted malts, a boat load of burnt malts/coffee, dark fruits, chocolate, and booze.

T - Taste of dark chocolates, which were followed by burnt malt that dominates the palate on the finish and leaves a lingering coffee taste. Usually stouts can get kind of watery throughout its taste - this was full of flavor and very interesting throughout.

M - decently full and smooth. The high abv is very well-masked. I smelt the booze but didn't taste it.

D - excellent stout. I have been wanting to try this for a while now and was glad that I finally got to try it. I have a couple more calling my name, and I am very much looking forward to indulging in them. With a description that says, "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout," how can one go wrong - especially when it is brewed by Founders.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Finally got a chance to try this, here goes.

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. At first the head is medium brown, almost toffee colored, but as it settles, it turns more of a beige color. The head, while unspectacular to begin with, shrinks to a small ring around the outside of the glass. There is some sticky lacing leaving patterns on the glass.

The nose is very strong towards the coffee. Bakers chocolate and bitterness take a back seat to the Espresso in this one, and it's mouthwatering. Roasted malts and almost a chocolate milk like sweetness.

Coffee and earthy bitter hops. Bakers chocolate and malts. The alcohol isn't noticeable, but there is a friendly warming presence hidden amongst the intense flavors. This stuff is the consistency of chocolate milk, with the bitterness of iced coffee, and the velvety smoothness of a malt.

Creamy and smooth. Thats it. There is a slight bitter aftertaste, but other than that, I can't imagine it being more velvety smooth and creamy. Drinkability is excellent.

Definitely deserving of the spot in the Top 100. Excellent brew.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I very much enjoyed this beer. I enjoy stouts, but often have to be in a particular frame of mind for them. This stout lived up to its "breakfast" moniker, with robust and sweet flavors of coffee and chocolate. The initial taste and feel is intense and crisp, laced with bitter hops and a hint of sweetness. This almost immediately gives way to a softer, more velvety feel, with huge flavors of chocolate. The warm aftertaste of chocolate and coffee makes this beer exceptionally drinkable, although it is definitely a sipping beer.

I would have given it nearer perfect marks, except that initially the overwhelming and overlapping flavors are a bit much for my palate. Others may enjoy this intensely.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

A - Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. This beer is as dark as dark gets! Opaque black with a thick frothy tan head that sticks around forever! Excellent lacing. A beautiful brew!

S - Coffee and roasted malts stand out above all. Also an undertone of bitter chocolate.

T - The taste mimics the nose. Roasted malts and coffee with some bitter chocolate on the swallow. The alcohol is superbly masked. Some hoppiness as well...this is a tasty little number!

M & D - Thick, almost viscous mouthfeel. Very smooth and drinkable. As hefty as this one is, I think I could drink it all night. Kudos to the brewmasters over at Founders...this is one to be proud of!

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Poured into a snifter... No head, black in color with no transparency. Leaves little lacing

S- Lots going on. Has a sweet malty caramel smell with strong chocolatey aroma and even stronger coffee overtones

T- Delicious. Slightly sweet malt start with the chocolate becoming more prominant as the beer hits your entire mouth. Finishes with great coffee overtones

M- Slightly chewy with very little carbonation. Leaves lots of linger flavor in your mouth after swallowing

D- Very. Would drink as many as there are available. I imagine the very undetectable high abv starts to catch up with you after a few

CHEERS!!

had on tap 7/18 at The Dirty Truth
I didn't think that one of my favorite beers could get any better... and then I had it on tap. Sweet baby jesus...
This beer poured an opaque black color with a thick, frothy, dark tan head. Great head retention with tons of thick sticky lacng that coated the glass. The coffee nose on this is far more intense on tap than in the bottle, some bitter chocolate and roasted malt notes dance in the background but it's all about the coffee with this one. The first go 'round I rated this beer as a 5 on the taste and having it on tap only solidifies the 5 stance. Insane coffee flavoring. It's prominent and in your face but not over the top. Roasted malt flavoring evens it out a bit in the middle and and creamy flavoring mixed with a deep bitter chocolate round this out at the end. The flavor on this baby was really, really intense. I you like coffee, you'll love this! Even though roasted coffee was the main flavor there was good balance here. I noticed some malts and some cream flavor and maybe some bittersweet chocolate in the finish. This is a full bodied, low carbonation, rich, silky and creamy body with a thick sticky finish to it. In this case, my 5 drinkability lends more to simply sitting and enjoying rather than sessionable. Though... in bottle form I've put a few back. I've always known draft was better but I didn't think FBS could be improved.

3.35/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviwed with the help of speedwayjim served out of a pint glass.

Appearance: 1/2 finger dark tan head dark and nearly opaque in color.

Smell: There are dark roast malts, coffee beans and burnt dark chocolate.

Taste: The opening of this brew nothing but ordinary. The taste of slightly charred chocolate and heavily roasted coffee beans are present throughout this brew, The sweet ness of the chocolate comes through towards the end as this brew warms up.

Mouthfeel: this brew is medium bodied but is in no way smooth. The bitterness from the roasted coffee really lingers long after my sip.

Drinkability: this brew is very complex yet my palate is unable appreciate the complexity of this concoction.For me this brew is one which I would not have again.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Thick appearance, it looks like molasses with a nice dark brown head standing about a half inch tall but it fades quick.

S - Perfect chocolate aroma with a super coffee accent. This is fixin' to be a winner.

T - An array of flavors cross my tongue in the first sip. So many in fact that I can't place them all. Let's see what I find in pull number two... it moves from a rich coffee start to a bitter hop-coffee middle. The finish is thick and chocolaty.

M - This is a super smooth stout that has a soft and silky feel.

~ I recommend to anyone that likes beer, they must have this. No question about it.

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured into a tumbler.

A: Poured a deep, dark brown color with a half finger dark tan head that I've come to expect from these types of beers. The head dissipated rather quickly to form a film around the side of the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate, roasted coffee beans and malts.

T: The taste of coffee was a little overpowering in this brew though I could definitely get the hints of chocolate.

M: Medium to heavy bodied and surprisingly dry. Mouthfeel was also rather course though I thought it would've been a bit silkier.

D: 3. Glad I had this though I probably wouldn't try it again. Drinkability is a little low compared to other chocolate and oatmeal stouts I've had.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Out of a bottle I stumbled across randomly in Myrtle Beach, SC, with the gorgeous Russian girl I was dating (*sigh*) this uber-famous beer was an opaque black color. The head was one finger of mocha-colored foam that displayed good retention and consistent bands of lacing. The aroma was rich and delicious, chocolate, pipe tobacco, roasted malt, molasses and alcohol. Totally on-point. The flavors were equally apropos to the style, lots of roasted malt and chocolate, both milk and dark along with some smoked notes and earth. The alcohol was surprisingly well-concealed yet the flavors still robust and rich - complex but dangerously drinkable! Oh my! The body was full, the carbonation perfect and the mouthfeel smooth. This one, in some ways, is easy to sum up. If you can find it, buy it.

4.45/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Boulevard Smokestack Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger thick/full mocha colored tan head. Doesn't last very long. Some very little lace manages to stick thinly to the glass. Color is a pure dark brown, basically black.
4-4.5

Aroma: Coffee, cocoa, chocolate. A big malt taste. Some type of nuts. Main smell is the coffee. Slight booze. I am loving the smell.

Taste: Coffee and coffee beans. Chocolate and cocoa. Some nuts. Taste is just like the smell. Big malt flavor, slight booze, earthy hops are a little present. A very great tasting beer.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy. Full bodied. Seems like a good amount of carbonation. Somewhat boozy. Leaves a a pretty dry, coffee taste of an aftertaste.

Overall, this is a very tasty beer. Very drinkable stout. Went fast from the start to the end, making me want more. I could easily drink another.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company