Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,785 | Ratings: 16,354
4.23/5  rDev -5.4%

12-oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Dense dark mahogany with a large thick medium reddish brown head, good retention, heavy lacing.

S = Coffee ground to an espresso fineness, some bitter dark cocoa powder, hints of pepper.

T = Fair amount of bitterness hits the tongue first and remains well into the taste, but by midpalate there is also a sweeter flavor of semisweet dark chocolate, other flavors include hints of molasses and treacle. Long finish.

M = Heavy body, very good mouthcoating, not overly aggressive carbonation, but definitely present

D = This is a very flavorful beer and I really enjoy drinking it, but it does perhaps coat the mouth too well and give just a bit too much flavor to really be of exceptional drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

At Pizzeria Paradiso yesterday.

As with all incarnations of the Breakfast Stout, this one's a stunner. Jet black, large creamy head that lasts for what seems to be an eternity, leaving tons of lace. On the nose, it's gorgeous, with a ton of chocolate and coffee. Not too sweet, and the coffee character is fantastic. On the palate, it opens up with a ton of chocolate and coffee, with the chocolate being more prominent than out of the bottle. The combination is just delectable. Some oatmeal flavor is present, adding to the wholesomeness of this beer. Medium bodied with an excellent finish with espresso and dark chocolate characteristics, it's awesome. The nitro-pour is a little disappointing, though - the first few sips are incredibly creamy, but as I wait for the beer to warm up, it turns to being a little flat and just a little watery. That said, I thoroughly enjoyed my glass, and I wasn't leaving immediately, I'd have had another.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a cervoise.

Appearance: Pours an opaque dark chocolate, coffee-like color, almost black, letting no light through whatsoever save for the head. The consistency of the pour reminds me of two percent milk. There is about a finger of head which quickly disappears, but leaves nice lacing behind.

Smell: heavy coffee scent, and hints of dark chocolate, as well as raspberries, and wheat bread. To me, the coffee scent almost overwhelms the others, but it also blends well with the chocolate until they seem almost indistinguishable. It also gives off a smoky, charcoal scent as well as notes of tobacco.

Taste: The coffee taste is not too overwhelming--from the smell I was worried that it might be--and blends well. The coffee taste provides a little bitterness, but there is almost no alcohol-related bitter taste. There is some slight warming, which is nice on a beer with flavors this complex and heavy, but not really an alcohol taste. In fact, when chilled, it tastes almost like drinking a slightly heavier, very dark roast of ice coffee.

Mouthfeel: A decent amount of carbonation, but it lifts up the flavors. I honestly thought that this would not be as smooth as it is given the pour. I'm not exactly sure I like the carbonation, but I think that it's probably the best possible level. As it warms, the beer becomes almost creamy, and a little thicker going down.

Drinkability--Very smooth, especially for a dark beer. Like I said earlier, it's a lot like having ice coffee--a really chocolately, complex, delicious, alcoholic ice coffee, but...well, you get my drift. Very well done for the style and the ABV. I'm impressed.

4.26/5  rDev -4.7%

Reviewed today from a bottle from last year's release. I can tell because, it is a twist off cap and Founders has smartly moved to pry off. No freshness date, but I would bet this baby would age for a year just fine.

When I twisted off the cap, there was a resounding release of CO2. This was only confirmed by an incredibly active head even with a ginger pour of the bottle into a deep Hennepin glass. The head that formed was incredibly billowy. So much so that I had to wait 5 minutes to pour a bit more, then another 2 minutes to finish off the bottle. Pours an incredibly black fluid with only a slight hint of mahogony around the very edges. The previously mentioned billowy head took on a nice light brown color and left quite a froth atop the beer long after I was done pouring.

S: A whiff over the glass reveals an incredibly roasty coffee smell with hints of dates, chocolate, and melted caramel. The coffee tinge is dominant but not excessive.

T: Initial tastes reveal a strong roasty backbone with low-bitterness coffee and dark chocolate. As it warms the background allows hints of figs, cocoa, and singed toffee to shine through. The roasty finish is over powering and lingers long after your last sip.

Mouthfeel is somewhat slick but with ample carbonation to keep the beer dancing in your mouth.

D: This is a tough category. This beer doesn't shy away from full-frontal flavor (alliteration!). It grabs your taste buds and drags them through a bitter bath of 85% raw coffee grounds and 15% dark-a$$ chocolate. Then leaves you bleeding bitterness on your tongue for a good 95 seconds after you swallowed. I dig it. Apparently BAs dig it.

This is an awesome brew!! Definitely worth trying.

Pours dark with a very small brown head, which I like to see on a dark beer, it lets me know the amount of coffee and chocolate in it.

Smells like lots coffee and chocolate.

Taste is amazing! Tons of coffee and bitter dark chocolate, good bit of bitterness too. Very complex beer. Taste absolutely no alcohol, I double checked to make sure it said 8.3%

Mouthfeel is suprisingly smooth for the amount of flavor and the intense smell of this beer. This is actually a very smooth beer in my mind.

Easy to drink one maybe two but definitely not too many with the 8% and the way the beer fills your stomach.

I see why this is in the top 20 beers on the planet.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just picked up some of the new batch at Lakeview Binny's. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - Three fingers of medium-dark mocha foam that dissipates very slowly and leaves some patchy lacing. Black body with the tiniest sliver of dark brown at the bottom of the glass.

S - Dark roast coffee, baker's chocolate, roasted malts, light floral hoppiness, hint of tobacco and smoke, a little bit of dark fruits and vanilla. Pretty complex - it's what a coffee stout should taste like!

T - The taste has some pretty intense coffee bitterness, with more of a dark chocolate vibe happening. It's nicely balanced by sweet dark malts, vanilla, and a hint of fruit. Not as complex as the amazing smell (the light tobacco/smoke element is gone).

M - Low carbonation, super smooth and oatmealy, with a medium-thick body that's actually a little thinner than I remembered. It's like a slightly melted milkshake. Roasty and dry finish that I really like.

D - Damn, I put down most of this one in record time. The intense roastiness and slight coffee acidity might prevent me from having more than a few bottles, but this is super drinkable stuff.

This is one of those beers that I totally take for granted. I actually like this and KBS a lot more the Canadian Breakfast Stout.

4.38/5  rDev -2%

A- oily pour, black in color with a cappucino head.

S- Espresso wafts up as you pour. Upon further inspection: Deep roasted malt, dark chocolate, black pepper, and a faint hoppiness.

T- Starts out with a touch of sweet chocolate before turning dark and bitter. Robust coffee and tobacco.

M- Soft and creamy up front, finishes dry.

D- Try one with bacon and eggs, life changing.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

This brew is black, and struggles valiantly to deny any light in. A brown head has nice retention and leaves lacing thinly on the glass.
There's definitely some coffee in here, including a roasted / smoky aroma, but what's really gripping is an oak-like, surprisingly strong aroma of wood. There's some bitter cocoa in there as well.
The first thing on the tongue is roasted coffee beans with a bit of an acrid, smoky edge complimented by rich dark chocolate with a woody undertone. Underneath are some hops that add a nice earthy, herbal flavor. Notes of cooked oatmeal are definitely in here, especially the finish. The ABV is very well hidden underneath the flavors.
This brew is a thick one, with a full, rich body and a smooth motuhfeel. Carbonation is light.
You know the annoying guy who's always saying "That's what I'm talkin' bout!"? This is what he's talkin' bout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Oh baby, this is a big beer. Appearance is very good- dark, dark black- no light coming through. Smell and taste are of toasted oats, java and other coffee beans, a slight alcohol burn and very bitter chocolate. Mouthfeel is good- nice and heavy with very little carbonation, beautiful. Drinkability is good given the style.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured into a 22 oz snifter from a 12 oz bottle. Bottled on 9/3/2009.

A - Black as a magic marker with a beige, foamy, yet silky head of about a pinky width that floated around as I agitated this beautiful bowl of deliciousness

S - Dark, rich, bold, roasted coffee and bitter chocolate notes rise up to tantalize your olfactory system

T - Starbucks coffee ice cream meets chocolate covered coffee beans meets who ate my porridge?

M - Smooth mouthfeel that becomes a bit thicker as it warms. Medium to full bodied and carbonation is right on

D - 8.3 is hidden well in the caverns of this dark, evil-looking stout. Could get carried away, but I like to drink this on a night when I plan to sit down and drink just one to make sure I take my time and appreciate all the splendor that is Breakfast Stout.

Overall, I honestly love this beer and I'm glad I was able to purchase enough this time around. I will make sure I have enough to enjoy through the dark winter season.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

Purchased from my local market. Poured into my Founders KBS snifter.

A: Pitch black. Like a moonless night in northern Michigan. Darker than a black coffee. Smokey looking dark tan head about an inch thick.

S: Can you say one of the best smelling stouts on the shelves? In my opinion at least. Smokey, dark roast coffee, espresso, what have you. If it involves coffee it's there. Sweet malty smell also. A hoppy and chocolaty delight. I still can't get over how good this stout smells.

T: Good thing the taste doesn't let up what so ever. Chocolate, bitter dark roast coffee, hops, smokey bitterness, and vanilla. This beer really reminds me of a straight shot of espresso. It starts smooth and finishes bitter. A creamy double imperial masterpiece.

M: Light medium to medium mouthfeel. Carbonation seems just right. Hell everything about this beer seems just right.

D: Oh can you say drinkability? For as bitter and bruising as this beer is, damn it goes down smooth. Absolutely perfect ABV in my opinion. Not too weak but not so high that you only drink one.

Overall, probably the best stout I've ever had in my life. Outside of its big brother of course, Mr. KBS. If I had Breakfast Stout on tap and available to me every waking second of every waking day...my life would be complete. I can't wait to attend my first Breakfast Stout Breakfast!

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Very dark opaque brown with a finger of dark tan head. Strong on the coffee aroma. I also got chocolate, vanilla, and alcohol. Coffee is also strong on the taste, but I can't seem to taste the chocolate that I smelled until the very end. I also get vanilla, smoke, and a bit of warming alcohol. Silky smooth feel. I'm not the biggest stout fan in the world, but this is very good.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A beer I've had many times when I lived in Boston both on tap and in a bottle, but it definitely wasn't as fresh as this now that I live in Chicago.

Appearance: Jet black, pours incredibly thick with a coffee/chocolate colored head that sticks around.

Smell: Roasted coffee, chocolate, malt, with a slight bitterness throughout.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Coffee. If you don't like coffee this beer probably isn't for you. The chocolate and oatmeal help to mellow the bitterness out a bit and also add a lot to the thick, creamy texture. As it warms the mouthfeel gets thicker, creamier, and definitely more enjoyable. A reason in itself to get this beer out of the fridge and let it get to that 50-55 before you drink it.

Drinkability: Nothing resembling the 8.3% abv in the taste, but still its full bodied and the overwhelming coffee flavor often relegates it to an after dinner beer for me.

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Here we go, my first FBS that is just a week or so old. A "Malt beverage brewed with chocolate and coffee", 60 IBUs, 8.3% alcohol. Comes in a stubby-ish 12 oz bottle with a pop off cap.

Pours into my american pint glass. Looks like syrup as it pours and forms a thick 2 finger burnt caramel sandy looking head that sticks around before receding and leaving behind some fine lacing. A thick layer of head stays on top. The beer it self is pitch black, and I mean 100% opacity even on the fringes.

Smell is heavy on coffee with that thick, fresh, bitter roasted coffee shoppe scent. Also hints of dark chocolate, dark fruit, and brown sugar. Coffee and malt madness for the most part.

Smell carries into taste in a massive way. Huge coffee bitterness up front with the decadent chocolate in the middle, finishing with coffee infused hop IBU's. Im not a coffee drinker but the taste of this one doesn't put me off one bit, especially with the huge sweet and roasty malt backbone. The subtle lemon hops can be found in the background with a concentrated taste and subtly accent the coffee superbly. Burps reveal more hops which mix beautifully with the bitter coffee.

Mouthfeel is decadent and super full bodied. There is a great amount of carbonation and a coffee-like smoothness that caresses the tongue.

The drinkablility suffers simply because this is such a big brew. The alcohol isn't completely hidden though it doesn't hinder the drinkablility, rather it accents the flavors and warms. I can't wait to try this again in winter. That being said the massiveness of this one gets you full with one bottle.

Overall one of my favorite stouts, for my personal tastes it doesn't make the top 20 but there is true quality in this stuff that isn't hidden even to someone like me who isn't into the big coffee flavor as much. The addition of hops and chocolate really help this one be more palatable for non coffee drinkers.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked up a growler of Breakfast Stout at Party Town in Florence, KY. Poured into a snifter.

Pours black, with a light creamy tan head.

Smells of coffee, bitter chocolate, molasses...some super dark malty notes here...and very coffee-like. Sweet on the nose, but not overly sweet smelling.

Taste is amazing...dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee. The alcohol is coming through, but not overpowering. Some hints of vanilla, pepper, and some other spices...

Overall, this stout is incredible. It's dry, but not too dry. It has some sweet notes, and the coffee flavor lingers for a long time. The mouthfeel is a little light...but is incredibly drinkable and remarkably balanced.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottle poured into a chalice.. dark dark brown and black colors with tan lacing. There's a lot going on with the smell: semisweet dark chocolate, vanilla, molasses, oak, a subtle smokiness, and loads of rich black coffee. The taste is similar.. it is very sweet with a lot of vanilla and a little nuttiness. Mouthfeel is not as creamy as I was expecting, very carbonated and a little on the fizzy end. This isn't over the top extreme and sports awesome drinkability.

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Opaque with a rich, two-finger dark brown cap that leaves tree ring-like lacing. Fantastic.

S - Smells like Starbucks does in the morning.

T - Mocha Java! Splendid roasted malts that aren't burnt with some nice hoppiness; no scorched tree bark with this creamy delight.

M - No ABV-inspired heat for this dense and creamy delight.

D - Yup.

4.51/5  rDev +0.9%

Finally, the acclaimed Breakfast Stout makes its way to my glass. Let's do it!

Poured into my Stone imperial pint kinda lazily. Thin head, requisite darkness.

I give it a few sniffs. Hell yeah. This is what I'm talking about. F'ing chocolate, hazelnut and of course coffee, with a minimum of roastiness.

Every now and again, it's great to have an imperial stout that isn't roasty to all hell. Indeed, the dark roast coffee flavors are at a minimum...hell, it's like drinking slightly less-sweetened coffee ice cream. Whatever coffee they use for this, it seems like a light, bright roast...dare I say it, a breakfast blend. OK, obviously there is a shitload of coffee in here, but the underlying beer isn't half bad either. Very smooth drinking, kinda creamy yet with a reasonably lively mouthfeel.

Name be damned, I honestly don't think I want this with my oatmeal at 7AM. It is 8%, after all. That said, for an 8% stout, I don't think you can get much better drinkability, as long as you like coffee. Reminds me of the Terrapin Wake N Bake. I have become a coffee stout fan, actually....yeah, Mr. Farmhouse Ale likes to cross over to the dark side every now and again, for sure.

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A-Dark brown, or I suppose it's pretty much black beer, quite opaque. Topped with a couple cm of dark brwon head off the pour. The head receded relatively quickly to a thick collar.

S-Roasted coffee beans, chocolate, fresh-pressed coffee. The aroma was rich and inviting, but perhaps a bit one-dimensional.

T-Rich, heavy-roasted coffee *SMACK* right off the bat, and it keeps flying for the whole flavor. It doesn't give up. Earthiness appears in the middle and lingers into the finish. Roasty astringency pairs with a firm hop bitterness to keep things in line. Sweet, dar fruitiness emerges near the finish, providing some additional depth. The chocolate seemed absent in the flavor.

M-Medium to medium-full body, making a good presence on my palate. Medium-low carbonation is smooth, appropriate. Nothing spectacular, but surely above average.

D-For its size and ABV, this beer seems to be surprisingly drinkable. I'm glad that Founders is now in the Twin Cities, and that I have the opportunity to drink this scrumptious brew. Could be dangerous as a viable replacement to my morning coffee :D

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.
A - 1 finger tan head with good retention. Black as any other stout.
S - COFFEE, hiding behind the coffee I got roasted malt and a hint of alcohol.
T - COFFEE, tasted same as smell.
M - Needed more carbonation IMO. Very creamy smoothness that I did enjoy. Very silky going down like an oatmeal stout, but didn't have a whole lot of chewiness to it.
D - One is fine for me thank you.

4.41/5  rDev -1.3%

12 oz bottle.

Appearance: Completely opaque. Beautiful thick, thick foamy brown head. Careful or it will escape. The head never leaves except for the part that sticks to you glass.

Smell: It smells very strongly of old-coffee-pot coffee. Bitter and roasty. Lots of dark roated malt and some chocolate hints. I could go for more chocolate and less coffee, but thats being too picky. It smells intense and delicious.

Taste: Like the smell, dominated by bitter coffee. If you really like the bitterness of plain iced coffee like I do, this is for you. The chocolate is again more subtle than I'd like, and I miss it more in the taste than I did in the smell. On the other hand, this is breakfast stout, not dessert stout. There's also some spiciness and some real hoppiness too. The finish is practically eternal and some nice sweetness comes through here too.

Mouthfeel: Quite full and smooth. A little foamy in your mouth. Almost chewy. It could be fuller, I guess, but not much.

Drinkability: This is awesome stuff. Intense coffee flavor. At 8%, you can still get away with having 2 for yourself when you're in the mood. Would be good after dinner too.

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

fresh 12 oz bottle from this year's brewing
a: pours a dark black with nice tan head
s: smells of dark roasted coffee, perhaps a faint note of alcohol as well
t: taste is rich with roast coffee, roasted malts , and some chocolate as the beer warms. a nice bitter finish.
m: very creamy, full, mouth coating mouthfeel. light carbonation
d: not bad considering the alcohol content i could drink a couple of these

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Pours practically solid black with a menacingly dark tan head. Even with a vigorous pour the head doesn't amount to much and fades quickly but the lacing really sticks to the glass and doesn't budge.

S: very smoky, if I was into cigars or "fine tobacco" products I think I could be more descriptive....I have friends that are...I should have them take a whiff of this...dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, hint of dark fruits

T: This really does taste like breakfast...I'm a coffee drinker...and I could totally imagine me replacing this with my morning cup-a-joe...I've had a few coffee stouts and it seems a lot either have just a hint of coffee or they taste like they have artificial coffee flavors added...this beer hits the mark for me...other than coffee...bitter dark chocolate and smokiness again...as the beer warms up the flavors start to take over my mouth...nice bitter finish

M: medium carbonation...slick, but not quite as thick as I'd like it...but it still carries the richness very well...it does get better as it warms

D: for how rich this beer is...it's very drinkable...and it gets better and better as it warms...

Overall very excellent...I figured the name "breakfast stout" was just a gimmick...but I really wouldn't be surprised if I'm craving one of these in the morning..

4.74/5  rDev +6%

Best part of theis wonderful beer is the strong, strong coffee smell. I have some bottles from last year and that part is gone, so drink fresh. Pours black as night. Thick mouth feel, with a bitter coffee taste. This is my favorite of all the coffee beers and I am trying to taste them all, so i have had a few.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Bottle via trade, twice. Need to keep track of my trades better so I'll know who to attribute these beers to.

A - Pours black with a nice tan head.

S - Real nice coffee aroma, along with roast and cocoa.

T - Somewhat bitter with lots of coffee, roasted malt, oats, and chocolate. This really would be a nice breakfast beer, and I'd drink it every morning if I didn't mind being a raging alcoholic.

M - Nice and full but a little more astringent and less over-the-top syrupy than something like Dark Lord or whatnot. Some hop/coffee bitterness lasts on the palate.

D - High for an imperial stout.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company