Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,745 | Ratings: 16,182
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

On draft at Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont Circle.

A: Black with brownish edges. Tan head slowly fades but leaves an absolute ton of lacing.

S: Coffee, coffee, coffee. All about coffee. In a good way.

T: Even more coffee. A hint of chocolate, which I kind of struggle to detect. Finishes fairly dry.

M: Thick and creamy.

D: Amazing. I'd have this for breakfast any time. Not to mention lunch, dinner, and dessert.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours black with a nice frothy tan head with great lacing. Just the faintest amount of light makes it through when held up to a light. Big roasted malt and coffee smell and just a hint of chocolate. Big coffee up front followed by sweet roasted malt and chocolate. If you were going to taste the hops its at the end and in the after taste. This beer goes down like butta, perfect carbonation makes for easy drinking. At a little bit over 8% this beers hides it well and i could definitely drink more than one. I so happy Founders is available near me now one less awesome beer I have to trade for. As usual, well done Founders.

4.56/5  rDev +2%

Saw this one on tap at the fantastic new Pizza-P's in Dupont Circle and couldn't possibly pass it by. Pours a pitch black color with a beautiful tan foamy head that sits around for ever. Excellent lacing as it drains. Basically looks perfect. Nose is very nice, if a little milder than expected. Coffee (more than just about any other beer I've smelt), roasted malt, chocolate dominate. Maybe a touch of dried fruit in there. Taste is excellent - like the nose, but stronger. Chocolate all over the place, mixing with a dirty roasted malt and a quite but continual mix of coffee as well. Really an excellent flavor. Body is perfect, creamy and thick. Overall, a fantastic beer that, despite it's thickness and heaviness, I could legitimately drink all night.

Pizzeria Paradiso/$7/10 oz

4.25/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance- Very dark black in color, pitch black for sure, nice bubbles stream nicely up the side of the glass, Nice tan foam head sits beautifully, very nice appearance

Smell- Strong coffee just dominates the nose, slight dark chocolate, but really just more then anything on the nose a strong blast of coffee, could easily fool someone that they were about to sip a nice warm coffee, smell is just so powerful,

Taste- overwhelmingly coffee flavors just destroy your palate up front, then your hit with a very slight chocolate finish but its short, then you taste a wallop of hops in the back end which provide a very nice balance to the initial up front coffee explosion, very extremely long finish that goes on and on, very little at least to me notice of alcohol on the finish, mostly just coffee and bitter hops, its a very tasty beer with a nice finish, i think it really does open up well to as it gets warmer

Mouthfeel- The mouthfeel on this beer is very unique and special, very thick almost feel like you could chew this beer down and a nice touch of carbonation on your tongue,

Drinkability- Extremely drinkable even though I am not truely a real big coffee lover though have become one more and more through enjoying the flavors of the stouts, funny I didnt come the other way came from beer to coffee not other way, Enjoyable but not sure i could ever have more then one of these in a single sitting and I gotta mark down a touch for that just too much coffee for me to drink more then one, One to try and seek out and probably one if your an absolute coffee lover you would love even more then i do,

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

This bottle has been sitting for a while. There isn't a date on the bottle but it's at least 6 months to a year old.

A: Opaque black color. Even while pouring, light isn't penetrating the stream as it falls into my glass. There's a brief mocha head that fades fairly quickly to a ring.

S: Chocolate is the first things coming through in the aroma. Dark rich cocoa. Very faint coffee just in the background and some underlying roasted malt.

T: Ahhh that's the stuff. Rich chocolate and malt characteristics, balanced out by bitter coffee roast. This beer tastes like chocolate cake and espresso.

MF/D: Very rich and slick on the palate, with the oatmeal helping keep the mouthfeel very smooth. Carbonation and body are right where they should; heavy on the body, low on the carbonation. The 8% ABV is well masked, I only get the faintest hint of booze on the finish. Again, this is balanced perfectly.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Very dark brown, though not the darkest I've seen. When I tilt my snifter to the side, the color lightens up a bit to a warm medium brown on the sides. I didn't get too much head out of the pour.

S: Perhaps the strongest-smelling beer I've ever had. Wonderful rich, dark coffee smell, as if I just opened a bag of coffee beans. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I spent about a minute just smelling the beer. A bit of chocolate and oatmeal as well, but coffee dominates.

T: Big notes of coffee right at the start, but it quickly recedes. Right after there is some milk chocolate, with a touch of sweetness. Towards the middle the oatmeal comes out, with a bit of coffee appearing again. The coffee flavor appears at the end again, with a bit more acidity this time. A little bitterness lingers as a not-unpleasant after taste, but doesn't stick around too long. I think that if I liked coffee more, I would have given taste a 5.

M: Fairly chewy and full, though not as thick and viscous as I was preparing for.

D: At only 8.3% and with a non-overwhelming mouthfeel, it's pretty drinkable, but the intense coffee flavor makes this one a beer I wouldn't have all the time.

All in all a quite impressive brew, and if I liked coffee more, would probably be my new favorite stout. With the acidity from the coffee bean flavors, it also seems like it would be an excellent beer to have a cigar with, if you are partial to those.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks CDKrenz...
Poured into a pint glass this brew was as thick as chocolate milk and silky smooth. A nice thick and creamy head slowly builds and leaves this nice foamy cap 1/4 inch thick. The smell is of roasted coffee and malts. There is a chocolate presence and some hazelnut. The taste is nice and creamy with a little burnt malt after taste. There is a nice slight bitter hop balance as you drink this and the lacing leaves a map of where you last sips were. This is a fantastic example of a stout and I do not think I have had anything better.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured into a snifter from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer poured a dark brown, almost black, forming a 1/4 inch mocha head. Light spots of lace stick to the glass.

S - Very complex strong aroma of roasted malt, oatmeal, and chocolate. Just a taste of whats to come. Very inviting.

T - Strong coffee mocha flavor coats the palate, followed by a noticeable oatmeal flavor. The taste finishes with a nice cocoa finish. Very complex and highly delicious!

M - Somewhere between medium and heavy bodied. Low amount of carbonation and very very smooth.

D - The only thing that would keep me from having too many of these at one time is the ABV. The flavor is amazing and the mouthfeel incredibly smooth. Overall, just an amazing beer. I can see why there is so much hype over this beer. Next, I cant wait to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout!!!

4.72/5  rDev +5.6%

Pours black with a nice tan head. Chocolate and dark coffee smells dominate. There are several complex flavors going on in this beer. Upfront coffee and oatmeal flavors lead to a nice chocolate finish. Very nice! Heavy mouthfeel with a silk component. Overall a tasty beer.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Delicious

A: Black, or black-brown, good brown head, looks delicious.

S: I'm not let down here, my nose picks up where my eyes left off. Coffee fills my nose here. Alcohol too.

T: Wowzers! Coffee Coffee Cofee, after that I get well balanced hints of chocolate, and maltness. It's delicious.

M/D: Smooth, Perfect feel for a drink of this magnitude.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Black with a one-finger mocha head. Good retention, dies down to a carpet of fine bubbles that leaves a trail of lace. Aroma is full of black coffee, cocoa, sugar cookies, biscuits. The taste has an initial assault of dark roasted malts and loads of black coffee. Some sugar and only the faintest touch of dark fruit are detectable behind all of the coffee which comes close to overwhelming everything. Personally I can't really pick out the chocolate. This is a good stout that brings coffee in my in ridiculous quantities, but balances that with a sweet backbone and lots of roasty goodness. Long coffee and roast finish.

Sure I have had more coffee thrown in my face, but that can get undesirable, and this is fully desirable. Full body, but not thick, the slippery oatmeal quality comes out as it warms. Nice medium smooth carbonation level. The coffee makes me take my time drinking this, but it drinks well. A bottle can be done solo, or it could be shared, yet I am glad I do not have to drink a bomber of this by my lonesome. For me Breakfast Stout is worth drinking on occasion, but not something I would spend energy in seeking out. This costs me $8 a pop and the bottle I had before this one was infected. Too bad we don't get Founders distribution.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

served in flute

a: a quick tight dark brown head, body is black opaque

s: notes of good espresso, sweetness and ice cream

t: coffee and chocolate ice cream, nice bitterness not too over bearing.

m: full mouthfeel but still crisp

d: very nice finish, clean, does not coat the mouth like you would think. a truly outstanding example. cheers

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured onto Stone 12th Anniv. glass.

A: Pours jet black with a huge (for a stout) mocha brown head. Leaves great lacing all the way down.

S: Smells like coffee and a hint of alcohol.

T: Taste is pretty solid... better than the KBS I had at the BBE (since everyone else abbreviates everything, I'll leave you to figure out that one) tapping. Strong coffee flavor balanced well by milk chocolate. Not too bitter, really. Oaty, with just a hint of alcohol. I love that aftertaste, espresso?

M/D: The oats definitely make this one so smooth. Carbonation is nice. Very full bodied and a bit sticky/syrupy.

Pretty good, I'm still not sure if this is worth the price, though. But, I think I got somewhat of a steal at $3.99/bottle while I saw the 4-paks going for $17.99... that makes me feel better.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a great beer... Just had a great pizza and beer party with friends from my church and someone brought this and I was a little sad that I had to share after tasting. It was delicious. Poured pitch black with little head. Strong coffee smells and wonderful coffee and coco taste. I sure hope I can find some more of this soon cause it was just such a smooth and wonderful tasting beer. Whether breakfast, lunch, dinner, or anytime in between this beer is fantastic.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a my oversized wine glass. Pours a very smooth black color with a nice mocha colored head that fades quickly. Looks just a like a stout should.
Smells like COFFEE!!! with some chocolatey, roasted malts somewhere in the background.
Taste like a strong cup'o' joe, with some hints of chocolate. I can detect the oatmeal and it provides a nice background.
Nice and creamy with just a little too much carbonation. Absolutely love this beer Founder's owns the coffee stout category.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

Just got a four pack, sending one off and cellaring two. Hoping I can discern between cellared and non-cellared. Poured into an oversized wine glass jet black with a brownish-maroon ring. No head with an extremely minimal amount of lacing that doesn't coat the glass. It's 8:25p.m. and the OVERPOWERING coffee nose has me thinking I'm late for work! Chocolate and malt play the role of The Pips to the Gladys Knight that is the coffee nose. Very complimentary and one I could spend all night only taking giant whiffs of this beer and be content. Just as the coffee dominates the smell, it takes over the taste as well. I love a good cup or two of coffee each morning, but I was expecting the chocolate to come out differently in this - possibly sweeter? Don't get me wrong, the chocolate is present, but it reminds me of a baker's chocolate - very sharp. The malts do play off of the coffee well, however. Being surprised, actually very surprised, at the taste doesn't degrade this in my book as I now view it in a different yet positive light than my expectations going in. Mouthfeel is light, not chewy but coats the throat and leaves a noticeable aftertaste. I am only halfway through my beer and just like every morning 12 hours from now with my first large coffee, I find myself involuntarily wanting another. Well done, Founders, and thank you very much for the surprise (at least to me).

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Wow, one of my all time favorites.

Pours deep dark brown. The greatness of this beer starts with the aroma of roasted malt, cofee, choclate, smoke.

Taste starts with strong roasted malts, cofee, chocolate, bitterness all in balance and harmony.

The flavors remain through the middle and ends with a nice dry bitterness.

The taste lingers and prompts me to take the next sip.

Drink it close to room temp 60 to 65 degrees to get all the flavors.

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours deep brown.Good sized head and fading to a light,thin lace.

The aroma of coffee,roasted malt and a chocolate hint.

The taste begins bitter with a sweetness that follows hand in hand. Some alcohol warmth and taste of coffee and oatmeal.
The feel was full bodied with a well balanced carbonation. Syrup feel was not sticky and it was very easy to drink. Great balance overall.

Notes: Great way to start the day,but I had one with pumpkin pancakes and maple sausage lightly coated with maple syrup.

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle into a goblet

A - A black color with only the lightest amber hues around the edges. Opaque like motor oil. Little carbonation head forms, and only a film is retained.

S - A combination of roasted barley, coffee, and chocolate on the nose. Certainly a lean towards the coffee side, from something that seems cold steeped - strong. A caramel sweetness starts to become more apparent as the beer is decanted more.

T - Starts with an immediate bitter, astringent, acidic coffee bite. Nothing sweet on the start. Bitterness is strong in the mid-stream, without a hop note. Finishes with a more mild coffee bite which lightens the more its on the tongue, resulting in an interesting chocolate aftertaste.

M - Moderate body - not as thick as I would have thought from the appearance. Is very clinging, oily, coating on the tongue. Leaves behind a well defined resin.

D - A one time beer to say the least. Almost like I'm drinking coffee, with alcohol. Flavors are awfully direct, and the abv is a bit over the top.

An interesting beer, worth trying, but I don't think I'd add this to my regular rotation.

3.82/5  rDev -14.5%

I drank this from a bottle into a tulip.

This stour poured very thick, no carbonation, and dirty motor oil black. Not even a hint of brown in the light. It has very tan head, but it isn't very high or last very long. Lacing is really strong.

The smells very strongly of black coffee, and bitter chocolate. Very strong smell.

The taste is strong and a big mouthful. You taste it all over your mouth and throat as you swallow. It tastes very bitter and my biggest thought is cold coffee the whole time. I think this is very good but its just one note through and through. Its not a complex flavor which is a little disappointing.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Normally I would talk about pouring the beer into my glass. Well this beer is so thick I placed in my glass not poured. It's like motor oil coming out of the gate. Black as night. A trace of head. No lacing. The aroma is wonderful. Dark chocolate and coffee. So spot on with those two scents it's freaky. The flavor is intense smoked malt with chocolate coffee. It's like a mocha malt was melted and put in a bottle. Obviously this full bodied and robust. It's like a meal in a glass. Breakfast to be exact.... wait maybe that's why they call it... oh you know. Great Imperial stout.

4.11/5  rDev -8.1%

Got this in a trade from Sonicdescent

Pours a 2 finger chocolate head, body is pitch black and opaque. Head retention is above average and lacing is good

Smell is of bittersweet chocolate and fresh coffee grounds. The coffee and chocolate really overpower anything else in this beer. Hops and alcohol aren't detected at all, this smells like desert!

Taste is pretty similar to smell, first there is the bitter chocolate, then the bitter cold coffee taste is there. Hops are also present in the after taste, not like IPA hoppy, but just that bitterness of IBUs

Mouth feel is good, carbonation is well balanced. Body isnt as thick and rich as I was hoping for. Thats about the only downside I see to this beer. There isnt that thick creamy head I love from Imperial Stouts. It goes down pretty smooth though.

Drink ability is good. The 8.3 ABV is barely detected and this beer isnt really session able but I could easily go through 2 of these at a time. Bitterness from coffee and chocolate was definitely the main flavor in this beer and I didnt mind it one bit. I only wish it was a little thicker and richer, still very good beer, worth trading again

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

A - poured like motor oil out of the bottle into my snifter. Jet black in appearance with a very minimal head.

S - the smell was kind of all over the place - there is a lot going on in it. Dark, roasted malts, a boat load of burnt malts/coffee, dark fruits, chocolate, and booze.

T - Taste of dark chocolates, which were followed by burnt malt that dominates the palate on the finish and leaves a lingering coffee taste. Usually stouts can get kind of watery throughout its taste - this was full of flavor and very interesting throughout.

M - decently full and smooth. The high abv is very well-masked. I smelt the booze but didn't taste it.

D - excellent stout. I have been wanting to try this for a while now and was glad that I finally got to try it. I have a couple more calling my name, and I am very much looking forward to indulging in them. With a description that says, "double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout," how can one go wrong - especially when it is brewed by Founders.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Finally got a chance to try this, here goes.

Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. At first the head is medium brown, almost toffee colored, but as it settles, it turns more of a beige color. The head, while unspectacular to begin with, shrinks to a small ring around the outside of the glass. There is some sticky lacing leaving patterns on the glass.

The nose is very strong towards the coffee. Bakers chocolate and bitterness take a back seat to the Espresso in this one, and it's mouthwatering. Roasted malts and almost a chocolate milk like sweetness.

Coffee and earthy bitter hops. Bakers chocolate and malts. The alcohol isn't noticeable, but there is a friendly warming presence hidden amongst the intense flavors. This stuff is the consistency of chocolate milk, with the bitterness of iced coffee, and the velvety smoothness of a malt.

Creamy and smooth. Thats it. There is a slight bitter aftertaste, but other than that, I can't imagine it being more velvety smooth and creamy. Drinkability is excellent.

Definitely deserving of the spot in the Top 100. Excellent brew.

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I very much enjoyed this beer. I enjoy stouts, but often have to be in a particular frame of mind for them. This stout lived up to its "breakfast" moniker, with robust and sweet flavors of coffee and chocolate. The initial taste and feel is intense and crisp, laced with bitter hops and a hint of sweetness. This almost immediately gives way to a softer, more velvety feel, with huge flavors of chocolate. The warm aftertaste of chocolate and coffee makes this beer exceptionally drinkable, although it is definitely a sipping beer.

I would have given it nearer perfect marks, except that initially the overwhelming and overlapping flavors are a bit much for my palate. Others may enjoy this intensely.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company