Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,744 | Ratings: 16,179
3.54/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance- Pours jet black with about 3/4 a finger worth of head. Some lacing.

Smell- Intensely smokey/roasted to the point where it's almost overwhelming. Very dark and very rich chocolate similar to devil's foodcake. Strong, black coffee.

Taste- Intense roasted malts that are very rich, strong, and smokey. Sweetness is balanced by coffee bitterness first, followed by hop bitterness. Oatmeal shows up around mid sip but is mostly covered up by the other huge flavors going on. The finish is wood-like and a bit dry.

Mouthfeel- Thick yes, but not as thick as I was expecting based on the smell and taste. Low carbonation level works for this style.

Drinkability/Conclusion- I'm a little surprised that this one ranks as high as it does. That's not to say that this isn't good beer... it is. I just don't think it's "A-worthy." The balance for me is a bit off and the coffee too intense. About mid-bottle it hit me that this tastes nearly EXACTLY like one of my homebrews (muck and mire version #2, batch #12). I've still got a bunch of it because I just don't care for it too much. It hits the spot once in a while, but for the most part it's just not what I would normally go for. I like my big stouts to have more residual sweetness, and a little less bitter coffee flavor.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Thanks to mschroeder7713 for the bottle (my bro)

A: Pours like motor oil...pitch black color (this is the darkest beer I have ever seen)...no highlights when held to light, just blackness. No head either, just a tiny bit of tan potential. Perfect score.

S: Roasted malts, espresso, coffee, toffee, molasses, caramel, and hops!! Glad to see such a nice stout with a whole bunch of hops. Also, bitter-sweet chocolate is present and quite upfront

T: Roasted coffee beans, roasted malts, espresso, molasses, hops! Very nicely balanced (although the roastedness is definitely the strong arm here)...truly remarkable...the chocolate and coffee/espresso combination is amazing. The finish is a little twangy (bitter and chocolaty), but very very enjoyable

MF/D: Very viscous body, smooth and creamy feel, exceptional in general. Coffee finish

Notes: Soo glad Founders is back in SC, and really worth the $11 per 4-pack price

MF/D: Chewy as hell, you might need a fork and knife...The motor oil consistency is very nice. Oily and velvety, finishes roasty and medium dry. Full body for sure

Awesome beer, a true gem.

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Tried this at a beer tasting at a local bar. An amazing stout. Color is pitch black with a beautiful light brown head that never goes away. The coffee and chocolates give it a taste i've never had in a stout. The oats give it an oatmeal stout feel. Highly reccommended.

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours very dark with a little dark brown head. Tried my best to get a good head on this one but it didn't really develop. Nice darkness and thickness though.

Aroma is very ester fruity from the malts. Dark cherries and chocolate with a bit of coffee.

Taste is sweet and fruity with hints of cocoa. Coffee comes out a bit more here than in the nose. Little bits of burnt notes.

Body is full and round but not as thick as the KBS or as I'd prefer. Acrid coffee on the tongue lasts a while giving this a pretty long finish.

Great stout but not my favorite.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured bottle into glass.

Appearance: Poured practically black, and had a small, light brown head that lingered with some lacing. Simply put, it looks delicious.

Smell: Had a chocolate aroma with some coffee in the background.

Taste: The smell of coffee in the background really comes to the forefront in the taste. The chocolate is able to hold its own as well. It almost tasted like a carbonated mocha.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and rich. Quite robust.

Drinkability: Now, don't get me wrong...based on the taste alone, I could drink this beer non-stop. However, I found it to be so filling that I don't think I could drink more than two (or at most three) in one sitting. It is so good, though, that I could see myself keeping a pack on hand to have one for desert or something as it's that good.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to shuajw for another really great beer!

A: This beer pours almost jet black- opaque, with a nice tan head that formed very slowly. It was nice to watch.

S: It smells heavily of chocolate and flaked oats- it smells goood for a stout, that's all I can really say here. Maybe a little bit more subdued than I'd like but it's quite nice, really.

T: I've been drinking this over the past ten minutes or so and one thing I'll make note of- the alcohol notes in this brew start to come through as it warms. Those alcohol flavors only materialize as an afterthought, so they're very bearable and provide some depth here. The flavors that really show with this one are an amazing bittersweet chocolate flavor the I'm falling in love with and some notes of coffee and flaked oats.

M&D: The mouthfeel is a somewhat light for what I'm used to with stouts but I'm really loving it. It's lightly carbonated and, as a result, goes down very easily- drinkability is just about perfect. I may crack open the second bottle when I wake up in the morning (that's really not going to happen as I have to crawl out of bed into the shower and to the car lately but if I were half the morning person I used to be I might...). I'm really looking forward to getting myself on the Canadian and Kentucky Breakfast Stouts--from what I've heard they're a whole lot better than this one and isn't that exciting.

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Appearance Outstanding Appearance, Jet Black with Amber head about 1-2 fingers thick. Sticky lacing left behind throughout session.

Smell - Initial is coffee / toffee with a hint of spice. As it warmed the smell just kept getting better. Finally after about 30 minutes it leveled off with a nice coffee with a hint of liquor smell. The spices were more prominent when it warmed as well. This is a good smelling beer!

Taste - Coffee, roasted Oats, and just a hint of a alcohol in the back end to give it a nice warming flavor. As it warms the carbonation really brings out the alcohol flavor more. It brings out more flavors, now I am not tasting the oats anymore and it is giving way to a creamy, but dark, chocolate. All in all a great tasting beer. I like the hint of alcohol in this one. Much better than beers that just dump it in to increase the ABV.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is more than I would like for a stout, but for some reason it works with the tastes in this beer. I usually server beer cool, and let the room naturally warm it as I drink. This beer has a better mouthfeel cool than warm. The warmer it gets the more the carbonation is released it seems, So I would recommend drinking this one cold / cool if you are not a fan of the carbonation. While cool it coats well, as a stout should, but warmer the carbonation takes over and does not do so well for me, but I am far from disappointed. Slight warming as you drink it down.

Drinkability - Kind of a strong beer, but definitely could have a couple of these in a sitting. There are some better stouts in general out there, but this one is a good one, and is something I like to keep on hand. (as long as it is available)

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to mikereaser for providing me with this in a trade.

A: The deepest jet black with a creamy dark mocha colored head. Decent retention and lacing, but nothing especially impressive.

S: Rich chocolate and coffee aromas. Fudge brownies, some vanilla/butterscotch, rich coffee and espresso. Excellent aroma--bold, complex, rich.

T&M: Explosive and complex flavors of dark chocolate, coffee, some light citrusy hop flavor to keep things interesting. There's a slightly dry cereal flavor from the oats, as well. Body is full and the feel is incredibly creamy and velvety. If it was a tad bigger it'd merit a 5, but still no complaints here. Well done, a delicious beer.

D: Very drinkable for such a big stout. I've taken this one down rather quickly. It's a bit filling obviously, but it drinks easily and the 8% ABV is totally hidden.

3.73/5  rDev -16.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a globe glass.

A-thick, almost tar-like, very dark.
S- very nice sn=mell, primarily that of the coffee, but some toasted malt as well.
T- Very little of the malt comes through, but strong on the coffee. Basically a fermented and fizy cup of coffee.
M- Feels almost like a syrup.
D- A hearty beer, good for a few at a time.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Big thanks to GREGER for hooking me up with a bottle of this.

A- Poured a thick 3 inch head into weizen glass. Head took about 4 minutes to dissipate, leaving some nice lacing on the glass. Very frothy for any type of beer, but especially a stout.

S- Smelled like a cup of black coffee. Was hard to detect any chocolate in the head, likely due to the very strong coffee aroma.

T- Of all the stouts I have had, this was the best tasting to me. Chocolate covered coffee beans. Very rich, but definitely lacking that smokey, woody flavor that many stouts have (speedway). I liked the sweet, but not smokey flavor. However, some stout lovers might miss the true smokey flavor typical of stouts.

M-Mouthfeel was incredible. The oatmeal stout characteristics really came through, making it velvety smooth and creamy

D- I could drink this all day. The smoothness from the flaked oats makes this beer just slide right down your throat.

Overall this beer is excellent, I am officially depressed that I cannot get this on the west coast. If you have access to this you will have to try it for sure.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked up a bottle of this and after rating it wished I had bought more. The aroma had components of chocolate, coffee, and licorice. The color was very black. There was a nice coffee bitterness in the taste that comes on gradually and intensifies in the finish which is a combination of coffee and chocolate with an alcohol warmth.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

Nice, rich, stout coffee aroma. I was anxious to taste this beer after picking up its nose.

Good mouthfeel. Possibly a little thin, but not enough to detract from the overall impression

Breakfast Stout is the perfect moniker. The dark roasted coffee maltiness was evident without being overwhelming.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours thin brown head. The beer is darkers than cola in the glass...black.

Only a hint of chocolate in a nose that's dominated by coffee.

The taste is very complex with notes of coffee, chocolate and oatmeal before giving way to a slight bitter.

Actually feels like coffee in the mouth, though it's a bit creamy.

Even the finish is complex as the warming of the alcohol takes place well into the aftertaste.

You have to have a taste for coffee to like this beer. All the flavors worked nicely together and made this highly drinkable, even with its high ABV.

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours a thick black color with a big tan colored head leaving pretty decent lacing down the glass. Just the way an Imperial Stout should look. Smells really great. Lots of chocolate, and lots of coffee! Pretty much exactly what I was expecting, very nice. Taste, wow! Coffee, coffee, and more coffee. Roasted malts, and some chocolate pierce through the strong coffee taste as well. Mouthfeel is thick and full. Great beer. Not a high ABV but not low either, but it's very drinkable. I really enjoy this one, I would love to start my day off with this one everyday.

4.52/5  rDev +1.1%

*Note: I am not a huge Imperial Stout fan but I have been wanting to try this one for a while...

A- Pours a jet black motor oil style body with a creamy coffee colored foam head that leaves some good lacing.

S- Wow...this is one of the best/most aromatic coffee noses that I have ever come across. Roasted coffee (java or mocha?) and sweet chocolate scents completely dominate the nose. A light toasted malt and oatmeal can be detected as well. I could sit here smelling this all day. I wonder if Founders and Glade would team up to make a Breakfast Stout air freshener?

T- A huge rush of coffee taste initially with a roasted/burnt flavor of cocoa and bittersweet chocolate. A sweet malt backbone helps to balance the bitterness of the cocoa and coffee (definitely not a hoppy bitterness). Toasted flavors of grain and oatmeal are more apparent with warming. A fairly substantial alcohol presence can be detected as well.

M- Big and bold with a full body and velvety smooth feel. Medium/low carbonation but it works well with the style.

D- This is a palate smasher of a stout with tons of roasted coffee and chocolate flavors. The alcohol is fairly noticeable and turns this into a sipping beer. A fantastic brew that won't easily turn into a session.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

A - Pours medium thick with a dark black color. A half inch toffee colored head appears that looks very inviting.

S - First thing I notice is obviously coffee. As an avid coffee drinker this makes me very happy. There is also a subtle sweet oatmeal smell in the back. As the name implies, all I can think of is breakfast.

T - Coffee. Nice black coffee, the way it should be drank. As it sits for a while it becomes sweeter. The oatmeal makes a presence, not that is a bad thing by any means. Again, breakfast comes to mind.

M - Nice and creamy.

D - A great beer to drink. Plan on having more than one. I drank it at noon; not quite breakfast. Would have no problem waking up to this stout for breakfast any day.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Continuing the Third Unorganized Invitational is a beer I have longed for for a long time: Founders Breakfast Stout. It's not sold in SoCal, but I know a special store which carried a few bottles. And yes, I've going to have this beer with breakfast, so on to the beer:

It pours thick and black into a pint glass, where an espresso tanned head a 1/2 inch thick sits on top. Needless to say, the body is darker than night. The aroma is a good one, but very dominant in coffee. Lots of coffee with a little bit of chocolate and lactose.

This is damn tasty, it tastes like breakfast. Like the aroma, the taste is coffee dominantat first, but it slowly sweetened up, tasting like mocha. It certainly doesn't feel like it's advertised ABV of 8.3, pretty mellow if you ask me. Being a little light on the malt is the only thing that keeps this beer out of a higher score. The bitter coffee and chocolate linger long into the aftertaste.

This is a very good double coffee stout, but it's no Péché Mortel. Those who like coffee stouts will no doubt love Founders Breakfast Stout. Try it for breakfast like I am right now, trust me.

Anyway, that's another beer out of the queue in the T.U.I. More to come later.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

Aquired via trade from heliosphann. A strong beer with a lot of following so here is my review.

A - Dark with a tan head

S - Dark Chocolate, with dark chocolate coffe notes

T - Coffe dark, chocolate very good.

M - Low carbination, frothy chocalety

D - Very drinkable yet not dinkable as this is stong. Looking at the big picture if some one offered me one I would drink it !!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - real real dark one here, no mistaking it. The head on my lightish pour isn't too large but it is dense and the carbonation leaves bubble marks on it that look like craters on the moon. I'm holding this one up to the light and there's not a whole lot coming through! It sticks nicely to the sides of the glass too.

S - a bit nutty, with that toast, mild coffee and chocolate smell that I love so much.

T/M/D - thick and dense after a few swirls around the gullet, with tastes of toasty and bitter chocolate and coffee (like biting a coffee bean or cocoa bit). It hides the alcohol well though. I can taste just a hint of oatmeal as the beer warms up a bit, but subtle.

After leaving the beer to sit for a few minutes and warm up, its character really comes out, and the subtle tastes become more noticeable yet the blend well, and the bitterness backs off a bit. A darn good beer.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours with a small one finger head.

Dark Brown, so dark that light cannot pass through it. The darkest brown can be before it becomes black. Very interesting, when the glass is tilted slowly back and forth, the bubbles cascade up and down the glass like shimmering gold dust. This beer is alive and unlike any other beer I have seen (appearance).

Nose is of roasted supreme coffee. It smells like a very complex coffee/chocolate stout. I can separately smell the oatmeal, chocolate, and coffee. Very powerful aroma. The kind that made me look weird because i continued to smell the beer before each sip.

Taste is of chocolate coffee, almonds, cocoa nibs, fudge and vanilla oatmeal. The oatmeal was a very nice touch and definitely helps complete the beer. Imagine a carbonated Triple Bock with Oatmeal and coffee at a 8.3 abv. No sediment of course.

Mouthfeel is silky-not chewy-hence the 4.5. (nitpicking a little)
Bold bodied.

The alcohol isn't covered very well but I appreciate the way it comes together in the finish.

This came in the mail so it may not have been tasted under the best circumstances. Still gets high marks and even though i drank as a nightcap I can see how it would go well with a breakfast. Very tasty, complex and unique. Really everything I look for in a beer.

Highly recommended.

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz bottle shared by photomike. Coffee stouts scare me because they can go so wrong depending on the quality of the coffee. This one definitely delivered. The darkest (almost) dark brown color with a small tan head. The aroma is a blast of coffee and dark chocolate, with some oats and roasted malt underneath, but mostly coffee goodness. Less sweet than many big stouts, with lots of coffee, light roasted malt, chocolate, and mild hops. Medium-full body with smooth texture. Nice balance of coffee and chocolate that isn't sticky or sweet. Very drinkable for an imperial stout. Great stuff.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Appearance: Being released from a twelve ounce bottle is a black as night nicely opaque. With a dark caramel color head that is about one finger thick. The color alone looks evil that's so wonderful.

Aroma: Massive dark chocolate notes. Incredible dark roasted coffee and big wonderfully maltiness. The aromas from this beast attack the nostrils with lethal force.

Taste: The mouthfeel is remarkably silky. Huge dark roasted malts and dark roasted hops. The chocolate notes have a very big presence. The espreso and coffee flavors caress the palate so very well it's like a coating.

Notes: Wow what a stunning beer dark, sinister it's incredible. Cheers

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked this beer up at the Piggly Wiggly at Common Market in Myrtle Beach, SC!! Great Store and will be back.

Poured from bottle in to my Portsmouth Tulip glass. The brew pours a motor oil black with no light penetrating the brew when held up to the light. The head is very minimal and I had to pour straight in to the glass and slap it around to get it. The aroma is good and carries strong coffe flavors with roast as well. The taste I had to say for me was mainly a roasted something flavor...I really could not put my finger on what it was. I could taste the Coffe easily and the sweet malt but to me there was something off a bit. Had this beer with my breakfast this morning and it complimented it very well. Drinkability was good for me as after breakfast I felt like I could keep drinking..evil.
I enjoyed this brew but would probably pass on purchasing this in the future for my self. I will probably stick with the KBS for personal use.

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

On tap at Capone's on 5/23/09. Served in a shaker pint.

A - Deep, dark coffee brown body with thick, one-finger burnt mocha head that retained fantastically and laced up extremely well.

S - Fresh ground coffee aroma with bittersweet chocolate notes. Some sweet caramel and toffee notes emerge eventually, as well as some subtle earthy hop notes. Simple yet effective, but one of the best coffee stout aromas ever.

T - Wonderful blend of fresh coffee, semi-sweet chocolate and subtle earthy hop notes that gain momentum as the liquid warmed up a bit. Alcohol is virtually undetectable.

M - Thick and luscious body with a smooth, creamy texture and subtle carbonation. Pretty assertive bitter finish with a touch of residual sweetness on the palate.

S - Possibly the best coffee stout out there. I can't imagine anything topping this phenominal beer. Breakfast Stout is definitely my benchmark for the style.

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on-tap at TND

Pours a jet black with a tan head of frothy delight.

A front of chocolate and roasted coffee and malt in the nose with a hop note intertwined.

A subtle mixture of roasted malts, thick but not too thick, a creamy feel that is extended with a good carbonation - more than a typical stout.

Dry coffee roast in the finish. A delightful beer.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company