Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,784 | Ratings: 16,349
4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Finally got one of these in a glass. I might of had expectations to high, due to hype and just my love of a good oatmeal stout. Overall, if it was available in Oregon, I'd pick it up sometime, but having had the KBS and Backwoods Bastard....I'd say this is less dynamic. I am fortunate to have a few more, so I will revise if I find that the problem is me.

4.69/5  rDev +4.9%

Got my bottle as a trade with Quasimodo! Thanks!!

Poured vigorously and still produced virtually no head only some slight caramel colored lacing on the edges. Color is deep dark brown, like an espresso.

Smells all coffee-y and chocolate malts. I want to dive right in!

This is very drinkable and the alcohol is just a small bite at the back of the throat. Very delicious. The taste is full of slighty burnt coffee....it's perfect, chocolately malts, slight oatmeal (but none in the nose). This beer is just fantastic.

3.31/5  rDev -26%

12 oz bottle courtesy of Tangfoot, no freshness info.

A: Holy motor oil! Super dark and viscous. Looks like a glass of super dark brown ink. No bubbles, no head, even with a generous pour.

S: Roasted coffee beans. And more coffee beans. And-- you get it.

T: Lots of black coffee (see above). Melds right into hops. I'm looking for something in the middle (malt? chocolate?), and I can't find it. I know there's alcohol in here somewhere but I'll be damned if I can taste it.

M: Slippery smooth. Goes down easy, hops linger. The slight bit of carbonation helps.

D: Well, I certainly don't think I can drink this for breakfast... I think if I enjoyed black coffee I would enjoy this more. Alas...a well-made beer, for sure, just not up my alley.

Apperance: Opaque black motor oil. Thick although not as thick as the Imperial Stout.. Foam is several inches thick (poured at close to 60 degrees) and very dense. It lingers for several minutes, giving way to nice lacing.

Aroma: Dark chocolate and toasted pale malts. Slight sourness of like over-ripe yet very tart cherries or plums. Slight fusel alcohol that develops more as the beer warms.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Strong coffee bitterness. A mild sweetness that is quickly suppressed by the bitterness. Black malts and a slight taste of raw grainy character (maybe from the oatmeal). Carbonation is not as full as the Imperial Stout. Slightly thinner body but very similar carbonation.

Drinkability: Excellent beer. I can't really see having this with or as breakfast however, it would be a nice mid-morning hair of the dog. I can't imagine having more than one in any one week. Its a nice change of pace

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a bottle into my favorite glass about 3 hours after removing it from the fridge. Nice dark brown head on this black colored beer. Average head retention. Smelled coffee first, then chocolate. No real hop aroma. Really didn't care for the first taste, as I prefer a stout with a little less hop character. However, after a few drinks it began to grow on me. I preferred the taste in my mouth to the taste at the back of my tongue while swallowing, which was when the hops really presented themselves. Medium/full body with moderate carbonation.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug

A: Very dark, with thin dark tan head that dissipates quickly

S: Coffee (a lot of it), dark chocolate, plum/dark fruit

T: Again, a lot of coffee, some chocolate notes, malty sweetness, finishes with a nice bitterness

M: Medium body, not a whole lot of carbonation, a bit slick

D: Given its intense flavor, and its style, all and all I would say its pretty drinkable

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Received this in a great trade with BA 'spacecoyote'. Split it with fellow BA and good friend 'macktbone'. Served into a lowball glass at about 55°F.

Pours a deep dark brown with a dark tan head. Not a whole lot of head retention going on. Minimal lacing. A bit less viscous than I was expecting.

Smells like seriously strong coffee... the kind they serve at all-night diners that cater to truckers. Coffee, and a bit of roasted malt.

The first thing that comes to mind upon the first sip is cold coffee without cream and maybe a single cube of sugar. It toes the line of being an unbalanced beer, but somehow... it just works. What an absolutely delicious brew. There is a hint of dark chocolate and oatmeal, but you almost have to look for it amongst all that coffee.

I didn't think this was as full-bodied as some of the other reviewers, but this may be due to some of the beers I've been drinking lately. Carbonation is right in the middle, and right where it should be. Finish is slightly bitter, much like that cold coffee mentioned earlier. Despite this, drinkability does not suffer at all. I immediately wanted another.

I can see why these fly off the shelves in the areas where they are available. This would probably be one of my 'go-tos' if it were available here in Northern California.

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Pours jet black with thick, creamy, 1/2 finger brown head. Impressive retention. Minimal lacing

S - Coffee jumps out in front. Notes of chocolate, but coffee smell is huge.

T - Sweet taste of chocolate with bitterness of hops, followed by a coffee-like aftertaste. Another flavor that I can't really put a finger on...going to guess oatmeal? Very complex and very interesting. Definitely can taste the alcohol in this one as well.

M - Very lightly carbonated, very creamy.

D - Very good. Incredible taste and smoothness is a great combo...could certainly see this going great as dessert, or even with breakfast as the name suggests.

A great stout, highly recommended - especially if you love the flavor of coffee!

4.18/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip stout glass.

Appearance is great, big fluffy mocha head that just sits on top like whipped cream. Lasted the entire glass.

Aroma was surprisingly not that strong, but there is roasted grains and chocolate, I am surprised to not get more coffee.

Taste is great. Big roasty/coffee flavor up front, dry chocolate in the middle and finish. Doesn't have that mouth puckering roastiness of some big stouts, but does finish very dry and balanced.

Mouthfeel is creamy, good carbonation for a stout. Velvety, full bodied mouthfeel.

Drinkability is amazing for a 8.3% stout. Due to the balance in the finish, I definitely could have more than one. Nice and chocolately, not a huge aftertaste, clean for a stout.

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

This is an excellent beer. This beer pours jet black with very little head. It smells of coffee concentrate and dark chocolate. The carbonation is unobtrusive. This beer was less creamy then I expected, although one could not exactly call it thin either. Coffee dominates the taste, although chocolate notes creep in the finish, especially as the beer warms. Good stuff, and I would drink it more often if I could.

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%

I knew nothing about this beforehand but I love this beer. I've been out and started drinking before noon and this would be the perfect starter to any such session.

Nice big pour of black as night goodness into a snifter with a solid finger of foam.

Tons of coffee, true to the "Breakfast" motif. Like your morning cup o' joe this one cuts through the haze. Nice strong coffee flavor with slight cream notes through the swallow. Coffee and chocolate sit on the tongue between sips. Again, like coffee at times the bitterness can just cut through everything but that isn't bad. As you get further down the glass it all settles nicely on your palette and again like your morning coffee you're ready for another.

Great beer and in my opinion better than the somewhat comparable Bell's Java Stout.

4.13/5  rDev -7.6%

Tasted with KBS...

A - Pretty much the same as KBS with slightly paler head. The brew is completely black with no translucency. 1/4" tan/off-white head with moderate retention.

S - Unlike the KBS in which chocolate and bourbon dominate, coffee and slight chocolate undertones are at work here.

T - Very smooth for a stout. Similar to the aroma, coffee beans and dark chocolate are the stars of the show. Slight sweetness is present, but it is overwhelmed by the coffee and hoppy bitterness.

M - Uh...feels great in my mouth! The coffee and chocolate really soothe and coat the tongue in a way that most stouts don't. The aftertaste fades pretty fast making you all the more eager for more.

O - A fantastic stout and definitely one of the best I've had. Side-by-side with KBS...I prefer the KBS, but with no intention of belittling this solid brew.

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

What can I say besides what's been said already. It is my go to cigar stout. I also love that I can get it in most places. I have been on the search for their KBS version, but Ithe has thus far alluded me.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a deep deep brown, probably the darkest beer I've ever seen, with a deep brown/tan head that doesn't last very long but while its there it looks amazing.

The nose on this one is roasted COFFEE, COFFEE, and MORE COFFEE as well as rich dark chocolate.

The taste is a total in your face coffee outburst with dark chocolate in there finishing off with a slight bitterness.

The mouthfeel on this sucker while on tap is so velvety smooth its like chocolate milk. Hardly any carbonation noticed in this monster.

This is one beer that improves as it warms up so if served very cold make sure to let this sucker warm up. The first one was so good I had to have another and pissed off my girlfriend in the process having to make her wait another 1/2 hour to finish my "mini-beer" as she called it (10 oz snifter, lol).

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Pours think and black, with a small brown head that dissipates quickly leaving some nice lacing. Aroma filled with roasted coffee beans, oatmeal, bitter chocolate. Great roasted malt aroma. Perfection for the style. Taste follows the nice precisely, bitter coffee and chocolate and a nice roastedness. A touch of hop bitterness keeps the malt nicely in check. Very chewy, sticky mouthfeel, with a dry finish. A notch below full-bodied for an imperial stout. An insatiable desire to luck your lips after each sip to pickup the residual flavors. Alcohol is perfectly positioned, giving you a warmth and umph, but not affecting the taste. To be a touch critical, i'd say a slight bump up in alcohol wouldnt hurt.

There has been some discussion that there should be a category for "Coffee Stouts" rather than lumping these in with Imperial Stouts. I tend to agree. And this is the best I've had.

4.15/5  rDev -7.2%

On tap at The Pizza Peel. This review isn't going to be the greatest: In my beer nerd-dom, I seem to have misplaced the napkin that I wrote down all the particulars about this beer on.

I will say, I've had this brew out of the bottle, and the difference between the bottle and the tap version are night and day--or should I say night and night, given the color of this brew: As dark as midnight, without a single ray of penetration. Granted, it's dark in the Peel, but even as I held it up to the lamp on my table, I couldn't get anything. Sweeet.

Smells delicious, like a fresh cup of iced coffee mixed with some melted chocolate and then spiked with a little bit of Wild Turkey. I love the aroma.

Taste is (dare I say it) slightly underwhelming. Definitely better than it was in the bottle, and fresh as can be. But...I'm not sure. I've had KBS, and I guess that'll permanently ruin a man if he tries to downgrade from there.

Nonetheless, a very solid brew for a winter evening. It's the perfect time of year for a breakfast stout. Wind down the day with it...or top off your glass in the morning before heading out to the daily grind. Either way, you'll definitely enjoy this one.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

This is the second year I have had this beer so I figured it was time to review it.

Served a little bit too cold (out of the fridge 15-20 minutes) so a strong poor did not give much head. 1/2 inch light brown head on top of the blackest beer I have had; no light gets through even on the edge.

Smells like a coffee stout should--fresh coffee and roasted malt. No alcohol on the nose.

As a huge coffee fan, the taste makes me very happy. Rich coffee flavor dominates. Some roasted malt taste but this can't keep pace...and I don't care. Hard to pick up any hops, although the roasted flavors give a nice bitterness on the back of the tongue. Chocolate is picked up as sweetness, but is not a prominent flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium and very smooth. Some stickiness as well. This is how a stout should be.

Despite >8% ABV, this is fairly easy to drink. For me, I could drink this all day except for the $16 price tag for a 4 pack. Last year's purchase lasted nearly the whole year, and the beer only got better with cellaring. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers and a treat every time I have it.

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a thick, solid black. No light getting through it. Creamy, powdered cocoa colored head.

The aroma has a nice roasted malt odor. Not too overpowering.

Semi-sweet chocolate, mixed with bitter day old coffee - this doesn't make it sound good - but somehow it is. There is a lot more going on for this brew than I am qualified to describe, but the mouthfeel is near perfect, the taste is truly unique, and the drinkabilty is dangerous.

I was afraid all the talk about this brew would leave me feeling underwhelmed, but it certainly is worth all the fuss.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Twelve ounce bottle poured somewhat aggressively into a pint glass.

A- Pours out black like coffee with a frothy tan head. This beer looks thick and creamy.
S- Smells like a hearty breakfast! Coffee, chocolate, oats, some vanilla-cinnamon type smell in the background, too. If it were porridge, this would be Goldilocks' perfect, "just right" bowl.
T- Coffee and cocoa dominate the palate at first, to be deliciously followed by the dry oat presence. Appropriately called a breakfast stout!
M- Mmm, thick, creamy and chewy. The baby on the label has it right, you could serve this beer on a spoon. Pint glass suffices just fine for me though.
D- Like a good and rich breakfast, just the right amount will satisfy perfectly.
When the day comes for me to have a breakfast beer, I'll plan accordingly and have this be that very beer. I can see it now, bacon, eggs, hashbrowns... and a Founders Breakfast Stout!

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

This bottle has been sitting for a while. There isn't a date on the bottle but it's at least 6 months to a year old.

A: Opaque black color. Even while pouring, light isn't penetrating the stream as it falls into my glass. There's a brief mocha head that fades fairly quickly to a ring.

S: Chocolate is the first things coming through in the aroma. Dark rich cocoa. Very faint coffee just in the background and some underlying roasted malt.

T: Ahhh that's the stuff. Rich chocolate and malt characteristics, balanced out by bitter coffee roast. This beer tastes like chocolate cake and espresso.

MF/D: Very rich and slick on the palate, with the oatmeal helping keep the mouthfeel very smooth. Carbonation and body are right where they should; heavy on the body, low on the carbonation. The 8% ABV is well masked, I only get the faintest hint of booze on the finish. Again, this is balanced perfectly.

4.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured into Darkness snifter last night at cellar temp from last years release.

A - very dark black with a roasty tan .5 inch head. lacing was present after a few sips and clung till it was gone.

S - Coffee, espresso, cocoa powder.

T - A great blend of rich coffee, chocolate milkshake with just a slight bite of hops on the finish

M - Was still thin in my opinion - doesnt have the same body of the KBS or most other imp stouts

D - Awesome.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

12Oz into a tulip. Very thin head but you get good carbonation when you give it a swirl. Love the smell of this, malty and a little chocolaty but not sweet smelling. Tastes like a big stout with a good balance of chocolate bitterness and a surprise dose of hops.

Glad to have founders in CT. Looking forward to many a pint of Breakfast Stout.

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

First had 11/17/13 at home. One of my go-to beers, as its on tap almost everywhere. Dark. malty, choco, coffee fantasticalness all wrapped up in a year round offering from a verifiable front runner!

3.95/5  rDev -11.6%

dark dark brown body with a light tan head. large bubbles collect apart from really tiny ones, heterogeneously, as if bubbling for different reasons.

roasted to burnt coffee dominates the aroma.

taste is charry, like scraping a grill, ashy and bitter coffee. the hops may play into the bitterness, but not in an obviously hoppy way. could be coffee bitterness, could be hop bitterness, its really unclear to me. i dont remember it having these qualities last year. suffice to say, 2.5 months from the bottling date might be too soon to drink this. the coffee and hops are too fresh and apparent for my taste. ill be forgiving, though, since ive experienced it better than this.

lightly carbonated, becomes very smooth as it warms.

drinkability is not so high fresh. kind of unusual and disappointing. the rest will need to sit for a while.

4.06/5  rDev -9.2%

Very amusing beer to pour. Tall, thick, smooth brown head over a viscous opaque black body. The head persists for some time, clinging to the glass.

The smell is heavy coffee with noticeable hops, and a dark fruit kind of punch.

It's an outstandingly thick beer with some complexity. It has coffee, of course, and velvety dark chocolate (presumably smoothed by the oats), there are noticeable hops rounding it out as well, although the bitterness comes through heavy roasted notes.

Feels thick and satisfying in the mouth--about as thick as they come--but too rich for me to drink more than one of them.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company