Founders Breakfast Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Availability: Sep - Dec

Added by marburg on 07-26-2003

Reviews: 3,706 | Ratings: 16,015
4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- A VERY dark black color. Looks like black coffee in a glass. A whipped chocolate color on the head which does not last long.

S- Strong scents of coffee & some chocolate.

T- The taste is of coffee with a strong whipped chocolate cream after taste.

M- Great full body

O- After just 1 bottle of this Stout it automatically jumped to the top of my list of favorite beers. Its a great beer during the mid Fall all thru the winter.

3.78/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: midnight black. Caramel colored head. Lingers for a long while. 4.25

S: smells strong of milk chocolate. 3.75

T: hints of chocolate, coffee. 3.75

M: leaves a nice taste. Pretty standard for a stout. A lasting feel of milk. Not as thick as I expected it to be, though. 3.75

O: not as good as the imperial stout, but better than the backwoods. I got all three in one go, and tried them all on different nights. I will be seeking out more imperial stout. The breakfast stout isn't something I will look for, although it would be a great standard if it was available in California. 3.75

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From backlog. 12 oz bottle, October 2014.

Pours like a glass of espresso, with a thin brown ring of head.
Fulfills all promises made on the bottle. Roasty oats, coffee, dark chocolate and a little sweetness, warming spike of booziness that pulls it all together. Delicious!

4.4/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

One of the best stouts on planet earth. Pours black with a tan head that hangs on all the way through. The mouthfeel is sublime: silky and full bodied. And with an aroma and tasting notes of coffee and milk chocolate, the high alcohol content hides until the very end. Truly one of a kind!

3.7/5  rDev -17.2%

I don't review based soley on my taste for something. This was a super-hyped brew for which I had high expectations. I tried it, reviewed it and then kept trying it to see if my thoughts might change.
It pours a very thick near black with a full, well retained tan head that laces the entire glass. The aroma is rich coffee. A hint of chocolate but mostly freshly ground coffee beans. The flavor again is mostly coffee. Strong, slightly bitter and even smokey. Chocolate does come through near the end. The oatmeal adds a thickness and sweetens it slightly but doesn't quite balance it. Alcohol is not present even as the beer warms. Not a big deal because this is a very thick brew that is best sipped and enjoyed over time to allow flavors to develop. Some vanilla comes thru as it warms but the predominant aftertaste is a smokey, bitter turkish coffee flavor.
Very smooth and thick in the mouth with low carbonation. Full bodied flavor that clings all the way down. A sipping beer not meant to be consumed quickly or in large quantitities.
I understand why the Kentucky version of this is so highly sought.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip at 58 degrees.

This one is pitch black with a light cocoa colored head. The nose is huge with fresh coffee and dark chocolate. Tons of espresso and rich gooey chocolate on the palate. A hit of hops at the end. Really long finish. The body is big, but not huge. Very smooth, very creamy. Really delicous. I could see trying this for breakfast at some point, too. Will intend on picking up a 4-pack each year - great stuff!

4.12/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Pours the deepest of browns with a decent mocha colored head

S - Rich chocolately, mocha nose

T - I want juiceboxes of this, like instead of chocolate milk. Smooth roasted coffee taste laced with chocolate. I want to add it to hot cocoa and drink it on a blustery day.

M - medium bodied, lightly carbonated

Oh, this will keep me warm through the winter.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Black as night with a thin, khaki head that was quick to recede. Wish it had stuck around longer. Looks delicious!

Smell: The coffee is definitely upfront, with the chocolate working its magic in the background. Definitely one of the best-smelling beers I've had.

Taste: Stays true to the smell. The chocolate comes more into play here, but as the beer warms, it is balanced nicely by the hops, which add to the bitter coffee flavor. Though I love big malty flavors in a stout, I think this brew stays true to its concept of being a coffee/espresso stout.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat creamy (could've used a bit more), but with just the right amount of carbonation. The alcohol is hidden very well.

Overall: I was skeptical about all the hype surrounding this beer, but I was definitely blown out of the water with this one. It's by far the best stout I've had, and I hope to get my hands on Founders CBS and KBS soon.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a large Bordeaux wine glass (similar to a brandy snifter) with a longer stem.

Appearance - dark used motor oil with a coco cream foam ring that dissipates quickly. This is a leggy beer leaving traces of lacy foam on the side of the glass.

Smell - burnt malt, fresh ground coffee beans, caramel, semi sweet chocolate.

Taste: Finest chocolate stout I've ever tasted. Dark chocolatey deliciousness with coffee bean undertones and a hint of caramel and oatmeal. Medium hop finish and aftertaste.

Mouth feel - slightly carbonated, balanced, tickles the tongue with a dry finish.

Overall - This is perhaps the finest stout I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. A great winter-time bear.

2.78/5  rDev -37.8%

The pour is nearly black with a head that looks like a cola (thin ring around the edge of the glass). There is a bit of a roasted malt, maybe oatmeal, smell but it is subtle. The taste starts oatmeal, goes to a roasted dark chocolate bar, peaks briefly with a bit of alcohol, with a long roasted chocolate finish. The feel is thick, but doesn't coat; it is smooth, but not nitro smooth. I've tried this a few times now and it just doesn't float my boat. The FBS is just a little too middle of the road for me. It is definitely more subtle than the Young's Chocolate Stout, but if you are to make a chocolate stout, I say make a chocolate stout!

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

2009 vintage, poured from a bottle & sampled at home - 6/1/2010.

Deep dark brown in color with a thin (at least in my pour) sandy brown head. Smells richly of mocha, more chocolate than coffee. Impressive dark chocolate, roasty malt and smooth coffee bitterness in the flavor. Has a thick, viscous & oily body. Slightly warming on the finish. Truly a wonderful beer & one of my favorites!

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Pours an oily black with about half an inch of frothy looking head, the color of which is exactly like espresso. Pretty wispy lacing.

S - Big coffee. Like a morning brew ought to smell like.

T - Warm chocolate and java fight for superiority. First the coffee, then surprisingly sweet, not to bitter chocolate, then coffee again. Creamy oatmeal texture throughout. Simply amazing.

M - Creamy, and it had me smacking my lips a lot. Definitely has some presence.

O - If I could, I would drink this whenever I could or maybe even continuously without stopping. The best stout I have ever had. End of story.

4.71/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Black with a cafe au lait head of about an inch. Smells of rich dark chocolate and coffee. Slightly sweet but tart molasses up front followed by waves of bitter dark chocolate and hints of coffee. Oatmeal comes through on the chewy, full mouth feel. An awesome beer. So much better than the RIS because it isn't nearly as sweet. Too bad the coffee wires me or I would drink this every night.

4.16/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottle Served in Snifter

Appearance: very dark, black, no light goes through the glass. Surprisingly has a thin brownish head, but that may be due to how it was poured.

Aroma: dark roasted malts, sweet chocolate, sweet dark roasted coffee. It has a balanced aroma you get both the bitterness of the malt and the spices and the sweetness of the coffee and the chocolate. The biggest aroma would have to be the dark chocolate.

Taste: bitter on the front end and the complexity of the beer changes in the middle leaving you with a sweet wet finish. The chocolate definitely cuts through towards the end. The spices are the first thing to hit the palate. It's not really bitter but its not really sweet. I can't taste the alcohol at all.

Mouthfeel: Its moderate for a stout. It's not really thick, which is what I expected, but it still is syrupy. leaves a sweet wet finish.

Overall: This is a great Imperial stout. Definitely not what I expected, I guess I had a pre conceived notion on how this beer would taste. Honestly, It's nothing special. It goes down fairly smooth and it doesn't have a chocolate/coffee explosion, but it does have a unique taste. I would definitely buy this again. I will take some time to drink it again and re-review it since my sinus aren't up to par, this re-view may be a little biased since I cant taste the full effect.

3.64/5  rDev -18.6%

This beer didn't match the hype for me. You HAVE to drink it warmer or you won't be able to get much of the flavors. The oatmeal presence was strong and but much of the other flavors were extremely muted. For an 8% beer I think they could've packed more flavor here. Good stout but didn't match the hype

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Bottle poured into snifter.

A- Thick and dark black. Looks heavy. Tiny khaki head the dissipates quickly. Not a whole lot of lacing and little carbonation present.

S- Coffee forward stout. I've had these after storing away as well as fresh and when fresh, the coffee is noticeably strong in a very good way. Coffee is followed by mocha and cocoa. A good amount of dark roasted malts and a little but if leather in the back.

T- Creamy coffee and chocolate goodness. Tastes just like it smells. Lots of roasted coffee, malts, and oats. Very rich and strong flavor with a nice bite. Leaves the mouth a tad dry and wanting more so the next sip is never too far off.

M- Very thick and full bodied. With that said, there is also a smooth silkiness that makes this stout roll down easy. Leaves a small bite and a little dryness, as good stouts most often do.

O- A true pioneer in the stout category. This was the first mind-blowing stout I tasted and has been a favorite and a staple of mine for many years. Its a great base to compare other stouts to, although 9 times out of 10 they cant compare to this great one. Perfect on a winter's day, near the fireplace, or sipping a nightcap. The only thing to make this any better would be to barrel age it, but thats what KBS is for.

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pallet notes of rich coffee with dark chocolate slowly making an appearance. Delicious oatmeal coming into play well after the swallow. All in all a very good beer. Recommend!

3.93/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Sum more than the parts on this one. Interesting aroma consisting of jalapeños and coffee. Perfect medium to heavy mouthfeel with a chocolate and spicy finish. The alcohol is hidden in the finish.

4.03/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours black, with a hazy, coffee-colored one and a half inch, dense foam head. The head only lasted a couple of minutes before fading to a trace on the glass and very light skim on my beer. Very appealing.

Smell is coffee with hints of chocolate, smoke and fruit. Taste is very nice....chocolate, oatmeal, coffee, wood? Mouthfeel is fairly thick but pleasing. It leaves a nice coating on the tongue, even after the finish.

Drinkability is nice. I'll have to continue with this one and perhaps a second, just to make sure I haven't made any mistakes. ;-)

A- Next to black with a dark tan head. Almost impossible to see through. Uh-mazing.

S- Dark chocolate, like the kind my friends brought back from Germany. Coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, oats, almost chocolate milkshake-like. So, so inviting.

T- Everything in the nose plus more. So much that my tongue can't even decipher them all. A bit of an alcohol kick in the end. Unbelievable.

M- Thick, with a perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is hearty enough that it could be breakfast in and of itself. And I don't mean a bowl of Cheerios in the morning. This is hearty like biscuits and gravy, an omelet, bacon, sausage, toast, a muffin, cornbread, quiche, orange juice, and a big glass of milk. A beer that truly lives up to its name.

D- What else can I say? I can't believe I'm giving this all 5's, but I honestly can't find a single thing that could improve with this beer. This is definitely the best stout I've ever tried, if not the best beer. Excellent.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Jet black with a small dark-brown head that sticks around a little. The aroma is pretty much all coffee with touches of sweet malt and a daaaash of chocolate. The flavor is way upfront coffee with dark chocolate notes garnished with the delicious sweet and sour malty notes we all know to be a high-gravity stout! The luscious creamy mouthfeel is just the icing on the... oatmeal!

4.21/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a viscous black and creates a textbook appearance for the style. Nice 1 inch vanilla and mocha head with some carbonation visible. Smell is of coffee and chocolate, as well as dark roasted malts. Up front the taste is coffee followed by a large dose of roasted malt. It is drinkable for a bigger stout and just incredibly well done. Complex and almost perfectly blended. A go to for sure. I would like to see this beer at 9%abv though.

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Traded some Pliny for the chance to try these.

A: Dark dark brown, pours kinda of creamy. Little bit of foam when poured by I wouldn't say it had any head though. Small amount of lacing.

S: Strong, Dark Barley, Maple

T: Coffee is more subtle than I was expecting which was nice. Malty at first giving way to the chocolate and coffee flavor later. Really complex flavor as I let it sit and as a swallow.

M: Not as Creamy as the pour suggested. Smooth

O: Great beer, I would regularly drink it if it was local don't think I'll be trading for more right away though.

3.06/5  rDev -31.5%

A: Dark brown coloring with tan-colored head.

S: All coffee on the nose

T: Coffee is definitely the primary flavor here. Also, this is a bit too sweet for my liking.

M: Average

D: I honestly was shocked that I did not care too much for this beer. Everyone on this site has such a hard-on for FBS, I was expecting to love it as well. I love oatmeal and imperial stouts, but this just did not measure up for me.

3.83/5  rDev -14.3%

Dark. Tastes like coffee that's been in the sun for too long then washed with bourbon and hops. Really dark and very bitter. Should wake you up. Not as good as KBS, imo. Just too dark and not enough complexity. I want more than dark tastes and textures. Yeah I know everyone loves this beer.

Founders Breakfast Stout from Founders Brewing Company