Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Ratings: 5,228 |  Reviews: 1,667

2.02/5  rDev -51.8%

Orange-copper hazy body with a half-finger of head that stays.

Rye spice initially, a lot of fruit and hot alcohol after that.

Huge amount of oxidation overwhelms everything here. There are rye notes and some hop bitterness at the end, but all in all, very hard to swallow.

Moderate carbonation and pretty drying.

This tastes like someone's third batch of homebrew. I've heard a lot of great things about Founders and being a MI native I was very excited to see it in NC. I really hope this was just a bad batch, but it makes me wary of blowing another $10 on their beer.

2.05/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This brew offers lots of malt, hops, rye, and some grapefruit, but just a little too much bitterness especially on the after taste. The bitterness almost leaves a flavor that makes the beer unenjoyble and I am a big IPA drinker so I am usually used to this... This one just doesn't do it for me like the other Founders IPAs do.

2.49/5  rDev -40.6%

First of all, I don't know if Founders decided to change the recipe of Red's Rye beer into Red's Rye P.A., or if it is just a name change. But I searched for Red's Rye P.A. and didn't find it, so I'm adding it now. The label reads, "Hopped-up Ale brewed with Rye."

Poured a dark-reddish amber with an off white head. I couldn't smell any aroma when I tried this beer. Medium bodied, caramel malt flavor and no distinguishable hop aftertaste, not good for something that is supposed to have an IPA characteristic. It was not balanced, malts dominated and there was a strong alcohol taste. Overall this one missed the mark.

2.51/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Medium mouth feel with malty hints. Very strong bitter notes that leave a not so enjoyable after taste. Has a very welcoming appearance and smell but was very thrown off by the flavor. Not my favorite beer to taste, but a decent IPA for what it's worth. Doesn't leave an enjoyable mouth feel and the bitter taste lacks enthusiasm.

2.52/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Consumed on 03/02/08.

Pours a hazy medium orange/copper. Lots of bubbles rising through the suspended particulate matter of this cloudy beer. A head a finger high was formed quickly, and just as fast dissapated into a thin foamy skin.

Aroma is full of grapefruit and pine aromas. A metallic tang crept in as the glass warmed a bit.

First sip: Maltier than I expected, with a sweet caramel flavor. Some mild wood notes as well. Then a surge of wet cardboard sort of ruins things for a second before the substantial bitter finish with some sweet oranges furtively appearing.

Luckily, the cardboard disappeared after the first sip. Unluckily, so did the malt character, leaving a glass full of bitter hop juice. A hint of rye flavor appeared later, right before I poured this stuff down the drain.

Ack!

Mildly tingly on the tongue and a little chewy.

Sorry, but to me, this was a drain pour and was dealt with accordingly. Bitter wood isn't the way I like a beer to taste.

2.57/5  rDev -38.7%

Just not an IPA fan, though I can take it in rye form. I see this gets high marks, but just not for my taste.

2.58/5  rDev -38.4%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. The beer was gasoline colored and did have a pretty nice head. The color of the head was a light tan. The beer had a truly hoppy smell to it. And The beer had a truly hoppy taste to it also. It reminded me of eating a cypress tree. I will not buy again

2.65/5  rDev -36.8%

As a fan of rye beers and separately IPAs, I wanted to like this, but the beer has a sort of whacky, out-of-balance characteristic. The Michigan hop-head aesthetic is in full bloom here. Bell's Brewery has been setting the pace on these over-blown hop styles. The problem with this Rye PA is that the hops get masked by the rye grain charateristic. Sort of a train-wreck. Malty sweetness isn't evidenced by intent, but the result of this combination is sort of a sharp mush of bitterness. Over many beers this would escalate with growing fatigue on the palate. I've tried this on two occasions- once in the tap room at Founders and once at a bar in Ann Arbor. I did not finish either pint. Exceptionally poor label art too for Founders on this as well.

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%

A big thanks to Redboot for sending a bottle my way. Thanks buddy.

On to the review.

A - Ok. Thicker than I was expecting. A red brown color. Very little head. Was served around 44 degrees so right there on temperature. Huge chunks of yeast and material floating all around the beer even after it was poured very carefully into my glass. Never really settled to the bottom. Just kind of "weird" in my book. Reminded me of fresh maple syrup in color and consistency. Just average.

S - Hops are very present. I was wishing there was more of a Rye presence being picked up but there wasn't. I love Rye....that is why I was a little disappointed. Doesn't smell bad, once again different that I was expecting.

T - Average. Wish there was more of a Rye taste but instead loaded with hops. A milder bitter taste...almost sweet as the ale slides down the throat. Still can't get past the HUGE chunks of "stuff" that won't settle to the bottom. White to yellow mustard in color. Just not what I was again expecting. Nothing to write home about if that is what you are wondering.

M - Thick. Coating. Not Impressed. Covers the entire mouth and won't let go. Have to swallow several times to get everything to go down. Yeah....not so much to my liking. Sorry.

D - Nope. Not impressed. Thick. When I want a thick beer, get me a stout or a porter. Not a clean crisp rye beer. Won't search this one out again....unless I know that it is fresh.

Maybe I should go visit my buddy Karl and we could have one of these at Founders. Would probably taste much different.

2.73/5  rDev -34.8%

Pours a five-finger light tan head that fades quickly leaving a good lace. Clear red/amber color. Hoppy/malty nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Starts hoppy and the hops dominate and leave a lingering bitter aftertaste. Expecting something a little more mellow. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, Ma.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company