Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Ratings: 5,269 |  Reviews: 1,673
4.22/5  rDev +1%

Medium brown, cloudy, even cream head. Lots of lacing. Smells nice and hoppy - citrus and grapefruit and mango and pineapple. Resinous hop flavor with a medium malt balance. The rye comes through subtly but pleasant. Nice lingering bitterness and hoppy aftertaste. Great pale ale overall - rye balances the hop bitterness really nicely.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Dark amber in color with some ruby red tones when held up to the light. About 1 finger of off what head that has moderate retention and great lacing.

S: The beer itself is not overly fragrant, and right of the pour it is difficult to discern all the elements of the smell. After it warms, things become more clear. I get notes of caramel and rye bread on the surface, and deeper down get notes of floral hops with a tad bit of earthiness.

T: The balance of the hops in this beer at the finish, the malt backbone, and the rye throughout is done perfectly. The taste is complex, interesting, and smooth. I particularly like the contrast of the sweetness up front, the big dose of rye in the middle, and the hops at the finish. All parts taste equally great.

M: Suprisingly creamy and smooth for the style. A perfect amount of carbonation (enough so that the head doesn't disappear, but not too much where it feels like a pop rocks on your tongue).

D: I had a lot of this beer at one of my best friend's rehearsal dinner. I thought it was excellent then, and love it still. For the price and the ease of availability in the Midwest, this is a go-to beer for me. Plus, it's a nice one to share with those who are new and or skeptical of craft beer as it is not all that extreme or overwhelming. It goes down easy, is smooth, and delicious.

side note: my bottle said 6.6% ABV vs. the 6.8% listed on this site.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Deep red with a nice off-white head with decent lacing, good retention.

S: Very grainy, sticky, sugary, lots of hops, really good.

T: Nice strong toasted grainy rye flavor, backed up with tasty citrus hops. A real good one for the grain lover. Super bitter. Sweet enough to take the edge off though. Tastes a bit like honey after swallowing - a nice touch.

M: Astringent like mad. Good carbonation. Medium-heavy body. Oily. Full.

D: Goes down pretty well, but it's really heavy - a meal in itself.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

I thought I wouldn't have a beer this week that would rate above a B, but this one is really good. I might be a bit partial, seeing this beer comes from my hometown, (I did not know it until I tasted it and got curious about where it was brewed), but that withstanding, this is a good, unique beer. This is about to be my favorite style. This brew gave me about a one finger head of light brown suds and finally faded after about two minutes, the color is a rich dark amber-red rating a 26 on the SRM chart. The smell of apple, grapefruit, currant, rye, caramel, sweet malt, and raspberry are the strongest smells, with a hint of clover. This is a wonderful flavor far from your run of the mill brew. This beer has the flavor of grapefruit, berries, apple, malt, and finishes with a great bitter flavor of hops. The more I drink of this the better I like it. I am so glad I have access to this in the south. Feels like cream in my mouth, nice tingle and buzz as it passes over my tongue and down my throat. I only bought one bottle of this, but it sure won't be my last, and next time it will be in bigger quantities. For sure I will share this with my friends, I am sure some will not like it as much as I, but that is why we are all individuals.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A-Pours a ruddy brown color with a two finger off white head.

S-Smells like big grapefruit, with some pine and some light caramel notes with a bit of rye.

T-Bitter grapefruit and pine upfront with a light malt and a bit of bready rye notes and finishes dry and bitter pine.

M- A little thin in the mouth for my taste with a medium amount of prickly carbonation.

D-A pretty easy drinking beer but the drying qualities and lack of mildly chewier mouthfeel hurt my enjoyment of this one.

3.08/5  rDev -26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip

A- pours a deep dark reddish brown, very hazy, a half finger white head appears and dissipates fairly quickly, spotty lacing

S- kinda spicy smelling, piney hops noticeable as well, sweet caramel notes sneak through, im not really picking up on any rye

T- this is a pretty bitter beer, im not picking up on any of the sweet flavor that i smelled, bitter hops, spicy and dry, im actually a fan of rye bread and i am not getting any rye flavor in this, this isn't even enjoyable

M- smooth medium body, decent balance of carbonation, dry finish, not bad but nothing special

D- im having a hard time finishing this one, it tastes like im sucking on bitter hops that have a bit of spice to it, not for me

3.72/5  rDev -11%

A strong and full flavored bitter beer that goes down easily as well.

Some citrus smells, and of course the hops are present too. The pun-name, as cute as it is, betrays the seriousness that is obviously going on here.

The taste is an extreme mixture of many powers: grapefruit, rye, hops, some malt. The taste dies fairly quickly with nothing but a bit of bitterness in the end.

Goes down like swimming in your esophagus, although the 6.6 abv maybe is a bit low.

3.74/5  rDev -10.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Red tinted - amber body with a small white head on top

S - Piney-citrusy hop aroma. Smells a bit spicy.

T - A big pine and citrus hop flavor up front before finishing a bit smoother. Not much lingering bitterness. A spicy rye flavor lingers as well.

M - medium body, average carbonation, very slight stickiness

D - Pretty drinkable. The rye gives it a spicy tinge but this beer doesn't have a lingering bitterness. A solid beer worth trying but I don't see how it is in the top 100.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A straight, slow pour results in a deep reddish-brown body topped by an inch of creamy tan foam that even looks a little pinkish itself. Strong retention and plenty of lacing make this a great looking beer all around.

S: Spicy, piney hops really jump out right away, and remain the dominant aroma throughout. There's also some caramel malt and a nice dose of distinctive rye sharpness. Quite nice.

T: The hops and rye really join forces to create a powerful wave of spicy bitterness. A little bit of malt sweetness tries to make an inroad halfway through, but the hops close it out with an intensely bitter finish. It's both intense and enjoyable, but there's a rather pronounced alcohol note on the aftertaste - far, far more than I'd expect from a beer under 7%. It's really, really tasty up to a point, but the finish just keeps bugging me.

M: Slick medium body with moderate, sharp, late-arriving carbonation. Not bad at all, but not as smooth as I'd like.

D: Not bad for the style, I suppose, but I really wish there were less noticeable booze.

Notes: This is a beer with lots of great things going on, but it just doesn't come together IMO. I'd never turn one down, but I certainly don't think it fits in well with most of the other Top 100 brews. If I didn't know it was the strength of a single IPA, I'd think it was just a thin American Barleywine - it's that hot. Founders makes a bunch of world class beers, but this isn't quite one of them.

Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on-tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: Amber with an inch and a half of off-white head. Lacing throughout.
S: Hops in the nose. Surprising for the style.
T: Wow! The hops are definitely apparent; citrus. This tastes more like an IPA than a Rye Beer (I like the play on words in the name: Rye PA). The grainy rye flavor finally shows up in the aftertaste.
M: Medium-bodied and good level of carbonation. Smooth.
D: This is a great session beer. Easy to drink and quite enjoyable. One of my go-to six packs.

This is great for anyone. I would recommend this to my friends who are just getting into craft beer, and my BA friends alike. This is a versatile brew!

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance- pours amber to orange in color, with a 1 inch bubbly white head. Great lacing.

Smell- citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, rye, doughy

Taste- Taste just like a balanced amarillo hopped ipa, plus the edition of rye.

Mouthfeel- medium carbonation/body

Overall- no need for a long review here, you get what you hope for and expect. This is excellent!

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to GABF which starts tonight. I may not be able to attend but I can still have a great beer!

I picked up a sixer of this while in Ohio for my friend's wedding and brought a couple home to Colorado.

Specs on the 12oz. stubby bottle are a little different from the BA page: 70 IBUs and 6.6% ABV.

Served cool into my Buckeyes pint glass. Red's Rye P.A. is a hazy, not quite murky, redish brown beer with a thick cap of head that sticks around a nice long time.

Aroma is big on hops, as it should be, but definately with an East coast tilt to it. It smells both caramel sweet and barleywine bitter.

The flavor of this beer is fantastic. There's so much going on between the toasty, caramel malt backbone that just about has enough in it to stand up to the hops. Some nice spice from the rye but not too much. A great combination of earthy, grass, spicy hops along with a good amount of citrus and pine. Very well made beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-plus in body with low to medium carbonation. It has a pretty decent balance but leans towards the hoppy side. Starts sweet but finishes with a nice bitter kick.

Overall a pretty good IPA and great rye beer.
Founders, Bells, Great Lakes - If you're listening, we want you in Colorado!

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

My thanks to a really generous Mike Thorpe. I owe him.

Pours a ruddy (surprising, I know) amber-ish orange. About two inches of foam.

Smells like an IPA. Hmm....no rye in the aroma, just delicously saucy pine and grapefruit hops, and maybe a splash of caramel lurking through.

Taste is very solid. It grows on you. No rye apparent, again, unless it's that slightly grain-y sweet malt aftertaste that lingers. Boldly hoppy with tons of juicy grapefruit, a bit of bittering pine (definitely more pine in the nose), and a solid malt-y caramel-y base.

Surprisingly good. I really liked it. Immensely drinkable. Mouthfeel is juicy, chewy, and fluffy, all at once.

3.01/5  rDev -28%

I love rye beer, but was very disappointed by this one. If I wanted an overhopped IPA I would have ordered one (given the name I suppose I did).

A - Looks very good, at least. Beautiful red color, clear, moderate lacing.

S - Hop crazy, mainly pine and spice, maybe a hint of rye in there somewhere.

T - NO RYE! One of my favorite beers was the Rye Bock from Grumpy Troll, so I wanted to give this a try, but all it is is extremely hopped with a lot of pine, citrus, and mouth drying qualities. Rye in name only.

M - The hops are so much that they practically leave your throat feeling dehydrated--never a good thing.

D - Even if this was just marked as an IPA I'd find the hops too intense for my personal tastes, but if that's your style then you might like it. Just don't expect any rye.

3.68/5  rDev -12%

Finally tried my first Founder's and it ain't no flounder....beer came in a bottle with no freshness date. Pours a deep translucent, unfiltered, reddish copper color, with a thick frothy head. The beer didn't quite smack me with the smell of fresh hops I was suspecting when I cracked it, and I think this beer is fairly fresh, and I can smell a sweet malty backbone. The taste is of grapefruity hops, you can tell it was dry hopped, has that extra-deep pungent layer of hops in there you get from the process, that extra pucker at the end in the aftertaste. But I don't pick up much rye in there, yet there is a maltiness to round out the hoppiness going on here. The label mentions rye, and belgium malts, but honestly, and it could all be due to a slight lack of freshness (please start date stamping these!?), I am a little disappointed with the lack of complexity in the taste of this brew. I love Amarillo hops too! I think it was fresh cause I bought it from a decent store with good turnaround, etc. I know what hoppy beers taste like when they fade....but overall, this is a pretty good beer that I found pretty darn drinkable, despite my complaints. But where is the rye (hell, even always watery Goose Island Mild Winter has way more rye than this)? Oh wait, I taste it, hmm, or did I...and those belgian malts, really?

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Reddish hue and cloudy, dark tan head that sticks to the glass

S - Fruit and pine hops up front with a hint of rye. Not as much rye as Summits Rye PA, much more balanced.

T - Huge hop pine forefront with a touch of dry rye malt. A touch of sweetness lingers on the toungue

M - Nice high carbonation and chewy mouthfeel

D - Nice hoppy beer but approachable. The sweetness blends well with the rye malt and hops to make this beer extremely drinkable. Great session beer for a hop head

Overall this is fantastic session beer that balances sweet malts, bitter hops and a dry characteristic. Very nice

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a red-grape ruby with a couple fingers of oily dark tan head that faded into a thin collar around the glass leaving some lines of lace.
S: Smells of ruby red grapefruit and caramel malts. Not picking up very much rye over all the hops, but there are grainy spicy notes to the beer.
T: The bitter hops still have the most dominant presence, but as the initial kick fades in your mouth, the finish is full of spicy and slightly sour flavors. Aftertaste is bitter and lightly peppery but has a touch of sweet caramel to it.
M: Mouth is full of bubbly prickly carbonation that, after foaming up on your palate, melts into a smooth and rich mouthfeel. Medium-full bodied with no trace of alcohol. As the beer warms the carb fades.
D: I'm a huge IPA fan and a pretty big fan of rye so I was expecting great things from this beer, and I wasn't let down. The rye was a little outshined by the hops, but overall a very good beer that I'd have again if it was local.

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Deep rich amber color with a small amount of fine, just barely visible particulates floating throughout. A rich foamy off-white head with good retention and moderate lacing.

S - Rather hoppy aroma with a hint of rye malt. Slight woodiness towards the end.

T - The hops are outstanding in this beer, and balanced just enough to bring out the just the rye in the malt.

M - Very smooth and crisp, but leaves a slight hop resin in the mouth, in a good way.

D - Super drinkable: I could barely finish writing this before I was done! Very easy to drink all day. Perfect for fall and summer. Heck, it would be good in the spring and winter too!

Overall, I am impressed. This is only my second time trying the beer, but I will be returning soon!

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

The look is primo,a reddish amber,textbook 2 finger head with good froth and lacing.

Aroma Good. Interesting hops blend with a bit of fruit,grain.

Flavor, Hops have a bit more nip than expected,a familiar hop taste not unlike Sierra PA I am otherwise not noticing a lot of flavors from malts or Rye Holding it in the mouth I can find a touch of pale and caramel malts but from Founders,I kind of expected more,more complexity,more zip. As a "Hoppy" this can't match recent brew's I had from Victory or Bell's

Odd...I drank it mostly from a mug, took the last inch from the bottle and that final sip seemed to have the missing malts and flavors. Was I supposed to shake well before serving?

Mouth....Density + sparkle are about right Hops linger but are not complex,not evolving much. Tasty but below expectations

Drinkable? Yes It's a pretty good beer but there's many PA's equal or better in the price range. Yesterday..had my first KBS and....OMG.
I expected Founders to bring a top PA,but gimme a Sierra, A Mirror Pond,a Burning River,or better yet a Yakima Twilight.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

355ml bottle bought online from Beermerchants.com

Poured a light mahogany red colour with a brown tinge... Creamy tan head poured thick and foamy and faded to a nice thin layer...

Aroma - Nice bready malts, some roastiness, light caramel sweetness, figs, brown sugar, faint trace of rye, slight floral notes, citrusy hops, grapefruit fruitiness, some pine...

Taste - Lightly toasted malts followed by nice spicy rye notes, fresh bread, toffee, citrus fruits (oranges and grapefruits), piney and grassy hops, marmalade, slightly nutty, bitter aftertaste...

Feel - Quite smooth with only a slight sharpness. Medium body. Incredibly drinkable for 6.8%....

Overall - An excellent and supremely well balance brew... definitely recommended...

4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

This beer pours a nice ruby red with a thick kaki head.

It smells like freshly baked rye bread. It has some caramel and fruity esters with some sweetness coming through.

The flavor has a wonderful rye spicyness with a tongue coating sweetnes. I taste caramel, rye and a little citrus.

The mouthfeel is a strange and wonderful spicy sweet mouth coating syrup like feel. The syrupiness was off set by the spicy and citrus notes leaving a great beer behind.

Not the most drinkable but pretty good for the sweetness.

4.38/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap @ Dewey's Pizza (from notes)

A- very nice deep ruby red color, head settled by the time it got to my table.

S- Lots of "pizzeria" smells in this place, so difficult to place a review here, but what I could tell, I liked.

T- Tasted very nice, I'm a little leary of rye beers, but this one was very well balanced.

M- nice, well balanced carbonation that left a nice tingle in the back of the mouth.

D- Very drinkable, very surprising beer, really loved it and would have it again.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

A- A very dark cloudy amber look.

S- Hop and Spices are present.

T- Strong hop taste and a bold spice taste at the finish. Filling like a rye bread.

M- Very dry and light to the mouth. Hop and spice are present though out the sip.

D- This is a good beer. This is my first for this style of beer and looking forward in trying some more.

4.57/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at Trappeze in Athens. Poured into a pint glass. Off- white fluffy head, nice retention. Amber body. Aroma is grapefruity orange hoppiness and some mild malt sweetness. Smooth tasting, nice hop bite, caramel notes on the malt and juicy fruit salad goodness. Lovely.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled May 31, 2010

A- pours a semi-clear beautiful dark brownish-red color as the name would apply like aged whiskey; a nice off white head with minimal lacing

S- a bit faint on the aroma; there is definitely a spicy element from the rye and a pine aroma from the hops; a nice dose of caramel and toasted flavors

T- the spicy rye kicks in at the end with caramel and toasted flavors making an appearance; it's 70 ibus I think but it's more spicy than bitter very interesting taste...spicy peanuts might be a good way to explain

M- great mouth feel with nice carbonation level; the lingering aftertaste is very reminiscent of whiskey

D- as it warms the flavors get more intense and spicier and for me one or two is enough because it becomes a little overwhelming...still a great beer but not exactly sessionable

Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company