Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Ratings: 5,254 |  Reviews: 1,669
4.16/5  rDev -0.5%

Picked up a single 12 oz. bottle of this to give it a try. Have loved everything I've had from Founder's so far.

Poured it into a standard pint glass. A good amount of thick head. I Let the beer sit while I ironed a shirt, when I came back to it, there was still some head left with a good amount of thick lacing. The smell is strong of rye but at the same time crisp and almost citrusy. The taste is exactly what I expected. It's an IPA with a good malt backbone, but with a powerful rye taste to it. Didn't know if these two flavors would blend well, but the taste is exceptional. I get a bit of caramel in the taste too, a lot of complexity. The mouthfeel it thick with a bit of sediment that you can sense. Substantial but smooth. I could only see me drinking a couple of these because they are thick and filling.

2.86/5  rDev -31.6%

I must be missing something on this beer. It was my first rye beer so maybe that could explain it. I need to give this beer another try at some point. It looked very good, but the taste didn't do much for me. I found it to be much more bitter than I was expecting. I didn't find the smell of this beer to be to appetizing either. I'm way off all the other ratings, so I will need to try this again.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

Thanks for the opportunity cmurren25.

Poured into a tulip. A nice ruby copper color with a frothy head that falls slowly. Nice sheeting lace.
Aroma is bready, spicy, earthy with a bit of citrus in the back. I'm not getting the kick of Amarillo I expected. Taste follows, with a nice bitter kick at the end.
Not as dry as I would like. It sticks around a little in the mouth.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

2/17/10

Founders
Red Rye P.A.
ABV 6.6%
IBU 70

L= 4.5 Deep blood orange with a 2 finger off-white, sustaining, creamy, frothy head with good lacing

S= 4.5 Big citrus, Pineapple, and light hints of rye

T= 4.0 upfront tart sweetness the citrus bite then dissipates to light rye. Light on the cream with a bit of ester in the middle of the profile. Really tasty

F= 4.0 Lingering Tart bitterness with a hint of fruit that leads to a dry crisp finish.

D= 4.0 Great beer from founders. They make some amazing world class brews. I don't know if I'd call this one world class but it's an amazing beer and world class in it's own style. Great job founders.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Drank on: 2/12/10

70 IBU's 6.6% ABV
12 oz. in pint glass

A= Beautiful 1/4" off-white head covering a slightly hazy copper-red colored brew. Continuous streams of CO2 bubbles. Nice lacey halo around rim.

S= Wonderful Grainy (granola) aroma, with a nice shot of piney citrus hops. Slight hint of sweetness on the nose.

T= Rye malt is definitely present and hints of toasted malt make it through the pine and citrus hop flavors. Great hop kick.

MF= Good weight in your mouth which leaves a nice coating on your tongue. Good sustained bitterness from those wonderful hops.

D= Great, leaves a nice aftertaste which brings you back agian and agian.

Overall, another delicious offering from Founder's. Love that bit of rye flavor and good hoppy bite.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

More Founder's from Julio's. Haven't had a beer yet from this brewery that was anything less than great.

Aggressively poured into my Sam Adams Boston Lager glass, got a half inch of head that dissipated quickly.

Smells like hops first, then rye and a bit of medium caramel malt. Beautiful nose. I'd go crazy if I smelled this but couldn't drink it. Luckily...

A lot of bitterness from start to finish. There's a rye bite in there, but it doesn't register as much as all the hops around it. Some toasty malts, too. I don't love it as much as another popular hoppy rye beer, but I could see myself making a night of drinking these.

A little sweetness cuts through all that bitterness, and the rye gives it a good, smooth body so it goes down easy.

This is a good beer. I don't love it, but I had a craving for rye and it hit the spot.

4.12/5  rDev -1.4%

a: a very red amber with a few bubbles on top

s: pungeant sweet syrupy hops; some bitter floral hops; very fragrant with som elight sweet malts in the background

t: first taste is a light hint of sweet bread followed by tons of appley and fruity hops and finishing off with some lingering bitter herby hops

m: syrupy and thick; very light carb

d: a very good beer; absolutely worth a try; very sweet and very falvorful

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a deep, hazy amber-bronze color. The tall, tan-tinted head has a thick, frothy texture and strong retention. A plastering of soapy lacing adheres to the glass rather attractively.

S: A double dose of malts - some caramel along with an unmistakably spicy rye character. A firm citric (orange oil) hoppiness is complemented by some less noticeable herbal/floral hints.

T: A robust caramel malty sweetness is well balanced by a firm dose of spicy rye flavor. IPA-like hoppiness here. Vibrant citrus flavors with some lingering floral notes. Bitterness is fairly high.

M: Medium-full bodied. Carbonation is mild, lending a pleasantly creamy feel overall. A dry, spicy finish.

D: Another very nice beer from Founders. I've said it before, but rye works wonderfully in this style of beer, matched with some caramel maltiness and a big kiss of American hops. It's no Hop Rod Rye, but it's a most acceptable runner-up.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this on tap at Williams bar in uptown Mpls.

Beer pours a brick red color with an ecru head, beautiful pour with a finger+ head that explodes with the scent of citrusy hops.

The taste is hard to describe, it almost transcends category.
-a completely amped up ESB
-a maltier, fuller IPA
-a perfectly hoppy red ale, with a citrus tang

Best way to describe it is delicious. Kind of on the same lines as the Lagunitas Red Ale.

wonderful beer, wish I'd taken my friend's recommendation sooner. won't even doubt him again.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours out a very dark red, almost brown with a two finger head that is very foamy/creamy with amazing retention. The head doesn't wanna go away and leaves off-white, thick lacing behind. The lacing itself comes off the glass about a millimeter or two! By my standards this is pretty much as good as it gets for apperance. Smell is of great, fresh hops and some pale malts with a hint of caramel. The malts remind me of homebrewing. The hops come through with earthy, fruity and herbal notes. The strength of the nose is good and the hop aroma stays throughout the whole experience. The hop aroma of this bad boy could rival almost any IPA I have had. Taste is like the nose but does not fade. The hops are great in flavor and bitterness. Piney and earthy hops dominate and the fruity ones take a back seat. The malts are very pleasant and the rye likewise. Malts are have some caramel hints and balance the hops very nicely. The rye creates a flavor I am not used to but I enjoy, I am not very familiar with rye beer. Overall the flavor is great and well balanced. Mouthfeel is nice for this beer. The body is moderate. The carbonation is right where I want it and medium in strength. The only thing I would want is a bit more creaminess. There is a huge warmth which I did not expect but it adds to the experience since I cannot taste the alcohol creating this feeling. Drinkability... I have been searching for a sessionable Founders beer that is great. This is it. The price is on the higher end for a session beer but it is worth it. After a six pack of these I would be in a perfect place. This is now my go to beer due to the great hop aroma and balanced flavor. What a nice surprise.

Smells of orange peel and tangerines. Tastes of caramel and hops up front and finishes with a big citrus punch. Pours a light amber with decent head. An excellent Pale Ale.. very reminiscent of Dale's Pale Ale with more caramel tones. I do not pick up on the Rye much.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Amber-red, slightly hazy body with a thick off-white head of a good few fingers, which leaves a respectable cap.

S: Great fresh, herbal and grassy hops with the rye, along with some chocolatey malts, and light yeast as it opens up.

T: Much like the smell, but the hops show more variety, with some nice citrusy tones. The yeast isn't as aggressive.

M/D: Full body, with an excellently long finish. It's brilliantly spicy and sweet, with the hop bitterness rounding it out extremely well. I wish New York had Founders.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into nonic pint...

A: dark orange-amber brew with an egg-white color head that stands about 1 1/2 finger-widths tall. leaves rings and blotches of lacing, and keeps a fair cap as the drink is consumed.

S: grapefruit peel, oranges, pine, and white pepper, with a buttery, caramel, and nutty background

T: very sweet citrus fruit and spicy pine flavors up front, with a caramel malt background. finishes sweet and spicey, with a grainy, cereal-like flavor(most likely from the rye), more citrus fruit, and caramel malt.

M: medium-full body with a smooth entry but quickly becomes crisp with a citrus astringency. finishes dry and resiny. 70 IBUs indeed.

Overall, a pretty damn good beer. I didn't think it was that great the first time I tried this, but I'm glad I gave it another shot. I love the sweet, citric juice flavor that dominates this one. Also a great spiciness from the dry hopping and the rye adds a unique characteristic that I like. Definitely worth checkin' out.

A - Pours a hazy ruby copper with a large tan head that stays for quite a while, only to slowly recede to a collar

S - Grapefruit, pine, and some lemon. Many of the same floral characteristics as some of the best DIPA's out there. Very impressive

T - Pine and hops at the front, heading towards a strong rye element in the back. Alot more complex than I was expecting, with very well integrated undercurrents of roasty caramel. Bit of an alcoholic bite at the end, but a clean one.

M - Neither too thin to be unenjoyable, nor too thick to be unsessionable.

D - I really wish I could get this more often, as it would surely jump to the top of my regular brews.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

again, thanks to eliott who shared with me over a couple snifters

-the look was the best aspect. big fluffy cloud like head, probably 2 fingers tall. good amber in color

-lots of orange hop smell to it. a touch of malt come in too

-that orange hops again through the start and middle. malt seeps in there towards the back end

-a different style of carb bite to it, but was kind of good in a different way. a bit on the dry end as well

-unlike most of the rye stuff i have had before, but good. would definitely enjoy another

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer was wonderful. One of the best pale ales on the market IMO. There is grapefruit zest in the aroma and the flavor imparts grapefruit juice. Can't say I taste rye as an ingredient but there was a mineral after taste in the drying finish I could not put my finger on that may have been to rye. Slightly thick/chewy mouthfeel. This beats out Sierra Nevada pale ale any day of the week.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

(12oz bottle poured into pint glass)

A - Deep red with some brown-amber tones, and a bit on the cloudy side. Moderately carbonated but poured well with a 1/2 inch off-white-cream-like head. Pretty poor on the retention front and the lacing was on the patchy side, but sat consistently throughout the session.

S - Picked up on some "nutty" aromas which were more of an undertone to the major hop sensation my nose was getting. Grapefruit anyone?

T - Well-hopped and heavy malt essence made for a really enticing experience. A considerable amount of crisp hoppy bitterness as the rye played notes and hinted at the initial yeast pitch in each swig.

M - almost had my mouth feeling a little dry from the big bite of the hops.

I initially had this at a bar a while back and thought it was great. I like it even more now.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

12 ounce bottle gifted from piscator34. Pours a light brown/ruby with moderate clarity. Big fluffy offwhite head and sticky soapy lacing. Nose- soapy hops, caramel. Taste- spicy, peppery rye mingles with piney hops and a solid bready caramel backbone. Medium body with a perfect level of prickly carbonation. I could session the shit of this beer. Finishes with a perfume like hop bitterness and some lingering sweetness. A rock solid brew.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow, this is some good stuff.

Red-brown hue with a thick, sticky, creamy head. Spicy hop aroma with a hint of rye. Dry malt flavor with a touch of black pepper, dominant grapefruit and tart berry on the back of the tongue is just about perfect. Can't imagine what they could do differently to make me enjoy the flavor more.

Somewhat thin, but not overly fizzy. A bit strong to session, perhaps. Think I won't let that stop me this time.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a clear, dark coppery amber, almost mahogany, with a fine-bubbled beige head. Aroma is strongly hoppy with a firm evergreen overtone. Flavor is richly hoppy and evergreen, just slightly bitter and subtly different from a traditional IPA. Texture is ragged, edgy and quite tingly.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

700 reviews, what's to say that hasn't already been said? I'll be brief.

Brilliant ruby-red on the pour, head billows up annoyingly, delaying my enjoyment of the liquid beneath; but the color is lovely. Smell is striaghtforward citrus hops w/only a minor undercurrent of rye.

The first word that comes to mind after a sip of Red's Rye is "clean". I like my rye a little earthier, with some tang to it. This is tame & toned down, quiet, with only the barest hint of allspice coming through. The hops are present but also on mute, but they carry the rye through to a slightly bitter finish.

Good beer. I have to say I was expecting more, being a big fan of rye & Founders, & hoping for a blow-outta-the-water kind of rye. And looking at the bottling date, I wonder if MN got a few old shipments. I'll give this another shot with a bottle that's fresher with, I hope, even better results.

4.28/5  rDev +2.4%

Love Founders, and despite this is available around here, it came as an extra from msulinski in a great trade, so who can knock extras, especially Founders!

A: Pours frothy 1 finger fluffy head that sticks around for a while, over a very clear dark rye-ish orange toasty amber color.

N: Mostly just hops! Some fresh strong hop aromas, perhaps Simcoe style with high alpha. Some rye goodness (I'm a big rye whisky fan so this is great!) A slight crystal malt.

T: Rye right away! The rye is pretty present. There is also some darker malts, crystal perhaps. Some more bitter hops, but not too heavy, adds some spicy chewy hop characteristics. A nice bitterness from the combination of rye and hops.

M: Semi thick with good carbonation.

F: Finishes dry and bitter, both accent each other. The rye flavor also lingers for a bit and seems to lead to this fruit punch like flavor as it fades. It has a spicy almost quality as well, like spicy spicy. Bitterness lingers but it's nice. This is actually a really enjoyable beer for a rye whisky fan, and it has a lot of great qualities.

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Pour is reddish amber with two fingers of foam that clings to the glass as it recedes. Thick bubbles of foam remain on the surface.

Smell is fantastic, overwhelmingly hoppy, bitter grapefruit.

Hops dominate the flavor of this beer, both up front and with a strong, lingering hoppy bitterness. There is a solid malt backbone, but this is in no way sweet - the hops really overpower the malt (in a good way).

The mouthfeel is viscous with a long lingering bitterness. This is a very good beer - I wish I had purchased more than a single bottle.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

I poured this in my Duvel glass and the head started off good and retained some small patchy lacing on the glass. The nose was very spicy like fresh cracked pepper with a candied sugar tone on the fade. The taste starts with a bold hop presence that quickly goes to a yeasty dark toasted bread flavor. The second wave of flavor seems to be a dark cherry fruit mixed with a touch of black liquorish. The finish is dry and spicy making your taste buds yearn for more. This would go great with Hot Wings. Cheers....

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

12oz bottled Dec 15, 2009. Pours amber with red highlights, one-finger off-white head that retains a cap and leaves some sticky lacing.

Aroma is quite hoppy citrus, pine, and an earthiness with some caramel malt underneath.

Flavor starts with pine, earthy hops, great malt balance in the middle, I can really taste the rye here, with a finish that starts dry but has some lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is a bit oily, moderate to high carbonation.

Quite tasty, recommended.

Finished my last of my first 6-pack last night and bumped the score up a bit. This is really a fantastic Rye Pale Ale, the best I've had outside of Terrapin Rye-Squared. Hop heads would love this one, very hoppy and man that rye malt works really well here to balance things out.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company