Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Reviews: 1,662 | Ratings: 5,199
3.69/5  rDev -11.9%

A- Pours into the pint glass a dark ruby red with 2 fingers of head (okay so I screwed up the pouring, so sue me). That dissipates into a thin layer on top of the beer and draws sinuey lacing over the glass.

S- I'm mildly stuffed up, but not that much, and this beer is really not giving me much in the nose. There's some darker orange/ sweet grapefruit hops but not more.

T- Hops hits the table first with a slightly sweet citrus twang, along with a touch of floral evergreen. There is some malt sweetness, slightly biscuity, more carmely, but not overly so. Even more fruit begins to reveal itself upon further inspection of the taste- strawberries, raspberries, and perhaps a hint of peach. There is also some hints of spice, cinnimon the strongest. Hopefully this doesn't sound too forced, but this taste, especially the fruit, strongly resembles the Jim Rye I've been drinking lately.

M- Mild bitterness all around my mouth and a great lingering taste, but not quite the mouthcoater of a thicker beer. On the otherhand it's only a red ale.

D- This is a good tasting beer and worth inspection. Is it complex enough to warrent continued inspection? I'm not sure, perhaps when my sinuses are 100% clear, but I'm not convinced it would present much more.

3.69/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz. bottle.

A - Poured copperish, light red color. Clear with nice one finger head.

S - Citrus hops with caramel malts. The hops came through a little more than the malts, but not by much.

T - Tough to tell what stands out more. The citrus hops, tasted pineapple or the bready malts. There was a good balance between the two, which made a nice drink. I was expecting more hop flavor.

M - Medium body with nice carbonation. A little bitter towards the end.

D - A good beer. For a rye beer, which I'm not a fan of, it tasted ok. I would pick a IPA or PA which has a little more flavor to it. Still though I wouldn't be opposed to drinking this.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Had on-tap March 2010. Was the 'keep the glass' draft special at Winking Lizard that month. Served in a really cool hops bud-laden glass with Red's logo on it. Review from notes..

A 'dark' IPA, pours with an instantly sticky head. Very unique color, sort of a tarnished ruby. Taste is round and dense. Elegant, mega-hoppy front with a finish that unfortunately hits a dry brick wall. Well worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Finally tried my first Founder's and it ain't no flounder....beer came in a bottle with no freshness date. Pours a deep translucent, unfiltered, reddish copper color, with a thick frothy head. The beer didn't quite smack me with the smell of fresh hops I was suspecting when I cracked it, and I think this beer is fairly fresh, and I can smell a sweet malty backbone. The taste is of grapefruity hops, you can tell it was dry hopped, has that extra-deep pungent layer of hops in there you get from the process, that extra pucker at the end in the aftertaste. But I don't pick up much rye in there, yet there is a maltiness to round out the hoppiness going on here. The label mentions rye, and belgium malts, but honestly, and it could all be due to a slight lack of freshness (please start date stamping these!?), I am a little disappointed with the lack of complexity in the taste of this brew. I love Amarillo hops too! I think it was fresh cause I bought it from a decent store with good turnaround, etc. I know what hoppy beers taste like when they fade....but overall, this is a pretty good beer that I found pretty darn drinkable, despite my complaints. But where is the rye (hell, even always watery Goose Island Mild Winter has way more rye than this)? Oh wait, I taste it, hmm, or did I...and those belgian malts, really?

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a hazy red-orange color with a beige colored 2 finger fine frothed head that hung around forever and left some glorious lacing.

Aroma is potently piney with a musty yeastiness. Taste isn't as piney as I would have thought. Bitter rye flavor dominates the pine and subtle grapefruit flavor. As i drink more the rye bitterness mellows out but its still there.

Medium bodied, slick with good carbonation. Good for a rye beer, but it really dominates.

12 oz bottle.

High carbonation leads to overly huge, foamy head that does have good retention and a light tan color. Beer is clear with an orange/amber/red color.

Aroma is malty, spicy and has clear rye notes.

Taste is smooth and malty sweet and the start with nice character. Fairly light, but has some depth and balance. A bit of fruitiness in the middle. Blends into a spicy finish of hops and rye with a sour aftertaste.

Medium bodied. Clean, dry finish. Very drinkable, though a bit on the bitter finish side.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

On tap at the Founders event at the Cloverleaf Tavern. It was served in a Palm tulip.

Red's Rye Pale Ale arrives ruby red in the glass, with a bit of clarity and some lighter red highlights. Almost two fingers of foam crowns the beer, and while it fades quickly at first, the last third or so hangs on for a while. There's definitely some lacing left clinging to the glass, but I'd classify it as spotty. The nose is disappointingly mild, but a bit of caramel plays off spicy grapefruit notes as aromas from the hops and rye meld together. The beer's a little more robust once it hits my palate. A prominent caramel note greets me, before a mild bitterness segues nicely into the spicy touch from the rye. The hoppy finish has some citrus, but also a more dank, pine-y aspect to it. The body is just too chewy for my taste, and as a result the carbonation struggles to cut through it all and make an impression. Red's Rye PA is a decent offering, but doesn't quite measure up to the quality of most Founders brews.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a bright reddish copper with a nice dense off-white head. Strong citrus/pine hop aroma with a healthy touch of rye and caramel malt. Flavor has lots of pine and citrus, biscuit and caramel maltiness, a touch of dark fruit, a bit floral, and a dry bitter finish. Kind of tastes like a heavily American hopped ESB. Medium to full body that has a nice creamy texture to it.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

A real cool twist on one of my favorite styles. This is my first review but I have been with BA for awhile and figured I would start rating, so here it goes! No I have not read a single review on this yet, I may be off but it's how I see it.

Appearance: Pours a dark amber with a creamy 1/4" head that stays with it longer than you might expect.

Smell: Not the most pungent of beers I have ever tried but I think I detect some piney overtones, similar to a Scotch Ale.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Dry and balanced, it realy is quite good with hints of pine and some faint citrus that quickly is balanced with the rye.

Drinkability: Very good, this being not an overly complex beer and so balanced you can hardly notice that it has 6.8% alcohol. I could drink more than a few of these at a time. I will definitely try this one again.

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

12 fl oz/355 ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. This is me first Founders beer ever. I'm really excited to say the least. Acquired at Ramirez Liquor in Los Angeles a few days ago. I was surprised to see Founders offered here, and I knew I had to pick one up. Cost was something ridiculous like $6.00, but I'd never seen Founders in California (or Colorado, for that matter). Bottled 01/17/2012. No best before date.

Not paired with food.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Expectations are through the roof given Founders' reputation and this beer's current ratings.

A: Pours a half finger head of dark white (...) colour, nice cream, nice thickness, and above average (~3 minute) retention. Pretty good lacing as it recedes. Colour is a semitransparent caramel-copper. Non-opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Appealing for the style.

Sm: Marvelous hops: floral more than bittering, with slight hints of piney, oily, and citrusy hops. Caramel and cream are present. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Clean malts. Very fresh and pleasant. Quite inviting, though rye doesn't come through even when I really search for it. I suppose rye isn't all that aromatic anyway. A mild strength aroma, and quite a nice one. I'm excited to try it.

T: Everything the aroma promised in terms of hops is here on the open and through the midpoint, and it's quite a nice greeting indeed. The hop bitterness is mitigated nicely by the floral hop character alongside the clean malts and caramelization. Rye underlies but isn't dominant. Indeed, malts rather than rye seem to comprise the foundation. For a beer based on rye, the rye is surprisingly subtle and doesn't coarsen the mouthfeel or dry it out hardly at all. Impressive indeed, though I'd be interested to see the grain bill. Certainly some barley or oats has to be present to smoothen it out. Red apple adds a well-executed extra dimension to the flavour profile. A tasty little beer. Nice subtlety, though I wouldn't call it complex. The hop and malt layering is rather impressive. No yeast or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Delightfully smooth and wet for a rye beer. A touch too thin. Too smooth on the finish; it should be a touch dryer to coax out the next sip. Slightly heavy on the palate; I prefer pale ales to be a bit lighter, but this one has a higher ABV.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV and style. Hides its above average ABV well. It's rare a rye beer is so drinkable - to the point where I doubt the grain bill is honestly dominated by rye. In any case it's a tasty flavourful brew that really works as a pale ale. So far, Founders is living up to its reputation. If this is one of their normal offerings, I can't wait to try their more hyped brews.

B

3.67/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearence: pours a dark amber brown with an average tan head.

Scent: at first I detected some lemon and lime. then some honey and oats, then came the rather distinct rye presence.

Taste: a bit of stout caramel at the jump but not to be outdone by the even sweeter malt,honey and strawberriess. there was also a nice earthy pine taste mixed with the rye and citrus that I realy liked...and made it so much more complex than what I am used too.

Mouthfeel: crisp and delightful for such medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I felt this was a remarkable first venture into the "Rye" beer category, score another win for Founders and me!!!

3.66/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The Dorm Room Review

Blessed with a cornucopia of Founders' beers at my disposal, Red's Rye PA never found its way into my shopping cart. Now, it's been poured and ready to be scored.
This review was written while listening to: a live Melvins Lite live concert.

Poured into a blue solo cup (definitely planning on buying a snifter or a pint glass soon).

Appearance: Slightly reddish, mostly amber. Great frothy head.

Smell: Nice rye beer smell. The permeating rye scents coupled with some fruity additions really entice the drinker.

Taste: Imagine a craft beer-nerd scientist places a rye beer and an IPA in the Large Hadron Collider. In my mind, after a long period of pseudo-cosmic tribulation, Red's Rye PA starts dripping from the ceiling, at which point, Founders' flies all the way from Michigan to bottle the Higgs-Boson runoff. As amazing as that sounds, RRPA is sort of generic. The hoppy bitterness is there, and rye flavors certainly show up; however, I'm not blown away by either. Unfortunately, the pleasant tropical fruit aromas aren't apparent in the taste. Unlike Lagunitas' Brown Suggah, which had excellent fruity notes, Red's Rye PA wallows in mediocrity.

Mouthfeel: Light remnants of rye linger. Slight (and I mean SLIGHT) hop bitterness. Not bad.

Overall: I really wanted to like Red's Rye PA, and I certainly found enjoyment in the rye IPA; however, I feel that RRPA could be so much more, in terms of flavor. It looks nice, it smells great, but the taste leaves me expecting more. I would toss a few more tropical fruits into the mix. Since I'm only an hour or so away from the Founders' Brewhaus, breaking and entering doesn't seem half bad.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours an redish orange with a white head. Smell was good with a nice hop aroma mixed with some fruityness in there. This had a bitter bite with plenty of hop and citrus notes. The rye came through but not as powerful as one would think. A decent balance, the mouthfeel was good, but had plenty of bite and kick to it. A long lingering aftertaste mixed of many flavors. A good offering from founders, but rated lower consider I had this one after trying other founders beers.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A- dark brown red. red tinted white head. lacing very nice.

S- hops, and more and more hops. Followed by a peppery smell with rye.

T- taste is hop front and a strong pepper hop finish. The middle is a wet rye bomb.

M- wet damp carbonated alright.

O- it's alright. maybe rye beers aren't my thing. it's ok, won't drink it again though

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into dimple glass from bottle. Pours a cloudy ruby color with some floaties. The decent size beige head is mostly lasting. Aroma is caramel with pine and citrus hops. Flavor begins with sweet malts but finishes with a well balanced bitterness from the pine/citrus hops. medium bodied. The finish is rather dry.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

Founder's is one of my if not favorite breweries. I got this orphan at whole foods in a Double Trouble 4 pack, there was only one bottle, and against my better judgment I slipped it into the 4 pack just out of curiousity. The problem I think is that it was bottled 10/25 10010 and it is almost march. Not ancient, but for a hoppy beer I think it suffered from lack of freshness.

A: Nice deep red pour, ample head, lacing as beer goes down. Nice.

S: Caramel, mollasses and citrus at the close.

T: Ok, I think it is because this is not at the peak of freshness, but I am not crazy about the way this tastes. I have Hop Rod Rye and Nugget Nectar in the fridge, and this bottle doesn't taste in the same league as those hoppy red ales. All I taste is a thin bitter sourness with a semi sweet fruity caramel finish.

M: A bit thin for a red ale, especially the closing sip, bitter on the sides of my mouth.

D: With the taste being off, I don't want to drink another one of these. However, I bet if it were fresh it would be much more drinkable.

Knowing how amazing Founder's is, I am going to give this the benefit of the doubt that this just isn't right because of freshness issues. I'd love to rer-eview this from tap or a fresher bottle.

3.65/5  rDev -12.9%

A - Pours with a finger and a half of off-white foam that collapses quickly and degenerates into a this film of loose bubbles. The body is a slightly hazy, amber-brown color and the beer leaves light rings of lace on the glass as it is consumed.

S - Sweaty pine hop aromas blend with dark, bready malt and a strong dose of caramel.

T - Caramel and toffee malt up front with pine and grapefruit hops. More thick malt in the middle with lots of dark sugar and pithy grapefruit. The finish has a swelling hop bitterness that pushes back against the sweet malt and seems to actually become a bit harsh in the aftertaste.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - A pretty standard hoppy red ale. The aroma is very nice with lots of green, pungent hops and enough malt to to hint at the thick sugary character of the flavor profile. The caramel and toffee that dominate the malt character work nicely with the pine and grapefruit hops but never become excessive. My only complaint is the way the bitterness becomes sharp and almost overwhelming in the finish, to the point that some soapy notes linger on the palate after everything else fades away. This last impression kind of ruins the drinkability of an otherwise very nice beer.

3.64/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a deep bronze color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, rye. Taste is somewhat bitter, spicy, hops, rye, a bit of citrus, very dry at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a solid beer.

3.64/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Great color: dark, redish amber color. White head thats moderately thin. Scents of hops came through right away. It definitely has some fruit notes as well. It has a light earthy taste as well. Almost more like grass as opposed to those heavy earth tones. The hops taste lingers yet it finishes off nicely. Very flavorful and a great overall IPA.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Reddish amber beer that has a uniform haze to it. Egg-shell head rose up a finger and dissipated to a cresent of cap/ring on one side. Thick and chaotic stings left on the sides giving this a somewhat gothic look in the low light.

S - Amarillo hops, caramel, crystalized malts and some rye. A hop forward rye beer, and it's a good combination.

T - Sweet crystal malt and caramel backbone. Typically soft citrus amarillo is soured and bittered with the combination of the rye. Rye really comes through stong on the end, souring and resiny on the end.

M - Medium bodied with a little bit of a syrupy feel. Carbonation is a little harsh.

O - Not a bad beer, interesting flavor and easy to get down. Would drink again.

3.62/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Finger of white-ish head. Muddy light brown with some orange and gold in it.

S: Lots of citrus hops -grapefruit. Faintly sweet. Pleasant enough.

T: Very hoppy. More grapefruit. Bitter and drying. Maybe a tiny hint of grain - rye? So little I can't really tell if it's there.

M: Carbonated and a little dry finish. Alright; nothing to get excited about.

O: Not a bad beer. It tastes ok, but it's just not doing it for me right now. Can't really recommend.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A 355ml bottle with a bottled-on date of June 2010 - unbelievable! I bought this a few months back from a UK web-shop, and am not impressed by the age of this beer. More than 2 years old! I'll think twice before I give them my money in the future. With that caveat stated I'm still going to review this, as I don't think I'll be coming across it again soon.

Poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle conditioned. A hazy reddish-amber hue with plentiful carbonation. Produces a massive head of creamy off-white foam with superb retention; this slowly reduces to a thick surface layer. Aroma of grainy caramel malt with notes of earthy yeast, mild rye, seeds, bread and stewed hops. Decent complexity, but little hop character to be discerned.

Tastes of caramel malt with a yeasty character and a bitter finish. Notes of caramel, grain, rye bread, earthy yeast, faint citrus and stewed hops. Slightly sweet and mildy spicy. A dry bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth, dry and tingly, with decent body. Rather astringent, with an aftertaste of sweet, grainy malt, yeast and bitter hops.

Tasty, though almost certainly too old to be in tip-top condition. The rye comes through well, lending a grainy, bready character to the beer. Plenty of yeast presence (presumably due to age). Hops are rather muted, although a considerable bitterness remains. A rather nice brew, but I'm sure a fresh example would be even better. Well worth trying, and I'll grab another if I get the chance.

3.61/5  rDev -13.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.Served at about 45 degrees.

A. Nice clear burnt orange body with 1 inch off white head. Very little carbonation.Good lacing.

S. Grapefruit is the first thing I smell, followed by bread and grains.Smell is not very strong or complex.

T. Taste is like the smell very bitter all the way through on this one.

M. Mouth is nice medium feel that stings the tounge a bit, pretty smooth.

D. At 6.6 ABV I could drink a sixer no problem.Very bitter.

Overall I enjoyed this beer don't think I would buy a case but definatly another 6er. This is my first rye beer, alot like an IPA. I would recommend this brew. Another good offering from founders

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I am excited to try this since I haven't had a rye since Mild Winter. Pours a rich copper/amber with specks and a sizable tan head that leaves great lacing. The smell is strong on the hops, grapefruity, mingled with a sweet malt aroma, with a soft wave of rye following. Nice and bitter but I have a hard time detecting the rye amongst the very strong hopping. Smooth body amongst crisp carbonation, refreshing in it's own. This beer is great, can satisfy many a hophead, but I want more rye.

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Albert Einstein's deranged brother peering from the label.

Really nice dark reddish amber with a persistent tan head, leaves lots of lacing along the glass.

Aroma is a surprising hop wallop, giant grapefruits rolling through a pine forest.

Lots of bitter aromatic hops start to finish, with a toasty, dry, tangy malt. IMO this is too much a super hoppy IPA made with rye, I would like to enjoy the rye more with perhaps less of a hopslam. As an IPA the malt is too dry. Nevertheless this is enjoyable to drink.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company