Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Ratings: 5,228 |  Reviews: 1,667

2.75/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

8/31/2012
Rye, Hops Cloudy Red Pour. A disquieting amount of sediment.Nice Grainy Rye and hop Flavor once everything settled down. Touch of Strawberry?Light on carbonation. Odd Beer, maybe I got a bad batch. Bottle exploded upon opening though it had just sat perfectly still in my fridge for over 48 hours. As a result the beer was very flat.
09/15/2012
RE-RATED LATER: Upped ratings after 2nd-6th beers were better, still a lot of sediment and low carbonation, but smoother feel when the experience doesn't start with a bang and a face full of foam.

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

A - Medium copper color with a thick head which settled quickly.

S - Grapefruit and Fir bud resin hops smells dominate.

T - Citric hops dominate the flavor, pushing all else aside. I was looking forward to rye flavors, but none were apparent.

M - Thick and slighly viscous, oily hoppiness.

2.83/5  rDev -32.5%

Served on draft at canary in Jamaica plain. Served in a pint glass. Cool.

A. Off white head and a murky amber body.

S. Sweet candy and floral hop.

T. Nice piney hope front and a nice sweetbgrain finish. Good rye bread flavor.

M. Medium

D. Very hoppy for style. Kind of drowns out the malt.

2.86/5  rDev -31.7%

I must be missing something on this beer. It was my first rye beer so maybe that could explain it. I need to give this beer another try at some point. It looked very good, but the taste didn't do much for me. I found it to be much more bitter than I was expecting. I didn't find the smell of this beer to be to appetizing either. I'm way off all the other ratings, so I will need to try this again.

2.87/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.92/5  rDev -30.3%

A: Ruddy red. Pours with just a small topping of foam, dissipates within a few seconds to just a ring and some large bubbles.

S: Citrus hops, nice sweetness underneath, and a little dank pine on a swirl

T: Dominated by the malts here. Bready, with a heavy note almost like pumpernickel. Not what I usually think of in a rye beer, but it's interesting. Not getting much of the usual rye spiciness. Balanced bitterness in the finish, but not a lot of hops flavor.

M: Medium body, medium-high carbonation. A little heavy in the finish.

O: Seems like a fairly middle of the road beer to me. A bit too malt dominated, and the hops don't seem to compliment it all that well. Among the rest of Founder's offerings, I wouldn't particularly go after this one again.

2.96/5  rDev -29.4%

I poured the bottle into a glass. A nice dark red color. Plenty of head to the beer. I did not notice the spiciness that other reviewers mention. For me, the hops dominated, with a slight sourness to it. The hops dominating is what hurt the beer for me. I did not notice the alcohol and the only problem with drinking the beer was due to the hops.

A litter sweeter than a normal IPA

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company