Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Reviews: 1,662 | Ratings: 5,189
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy reddish with a decent head.

Citrus hops in the aroma, with rye.

Citrus and rye are the dominant flavors as well. Nearly an IPA, but balanced with rye and caramel malt flavors. Flavorful.

Mouth felll full and carbonated.

Worth seeking out. I think I prefer Double Trouble to this, but this is interesting and a quality beer.

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz bottle i've had in the fridge for about 3 months.

a-poured a beautiful, rich, clear dark red into a brooklyn brewery tulip but produced almost no standing head and quickly retreated to a thin layer of foam

s-the beer's smell is pleasant, crisp/piny, but not over powering

t-the taste is rich, surprisingly strong alcohol flavor (i find most founders brews dont taste as strong as they are), with a good bit of the spicyness that comes from the rye

m- similar to a typical pale ale, maybe a bit thicker, but not as much as i would expect from most rye ales

d- drinking the bottle is clearly not an issue, but not sure i would want to line a bunch of these up in a row for one sitting.

4.42/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle picked up at Table and Vine in Springfield, Bottled 01/03/12, Enjoyed 01/26/12
A: Clear ruby-red color, nice off-white head that leaves very nice lacing.
S: Sweet grapefruit jumps off this thing. While I love tropical hop flavors and they are so hot right now, this thing really makes me realize how beautiful just simple grapefruit can be. It really smells both juicy and bitter and epitomizes American C hops. I know this is amarillo dry-hopped, but I throw amarillo in there with cascade and centennial. After I calm down from the grapefruit the rye is certainly there as is an herbal edge to the hops.
T: This beer offers a legit hop onslaught. Sweet hop flavors pound the palate. Grapefruit and a little hop funk kick in. The rye is there but is subdued by the hops. The rye is most prevalent on the finish and lingers with the citrusy hop oils. The beer stays very dry through-ought. I certainly taste the rye but not really any other malt characteristics. It finishes very dry but not overly bitter.
M: Mouth feel is beautiful. I would say it is on the fuller side for a 6.6% IPA/ Rye Beer. The malt backbone gives it lots of body but is not that present in the taste. Just the way I like my hoppy beers.
O: Overall, insane beer. Loaded with hops but not overly bitter. The rye plays second fiddle to the hops perfectly. One of the most drinkable really hoppy beers I have ever had.

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

Founders is a dangerous brewery out here. There are a few of their beers that are collectable; like their Canadian and their Kentucky Breakfast Stouts. Things where people will line up for hours and they will run out in half an hour. I hate this kind of thing with beer, however, that is another rant for another day. This makes me want to hate their beers and them for turning something which should be enjoyed into a pretentious fight. However, their core beers are really good. They have fought to take convention and turn the beers on their heads. There is a complex thought process that goes on here. The Rye Pale Ale is much more complicated than it sounds. The beer is ruby red and the maltiness is replaced with the sour spiciness of the Rye. The hops are bitter and the beer melds into unique perfection.

Enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This is a very unique beer that is excellent on occasion. This is certainly not a heavy beer, but for me it is difficult to drink a lot of these in one sitting. It is a very nice change in pace having a rye beer every once in while because of the flavor that it brings the table.

4.69/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a hazy brown. Not sure if this is usual for this style. Not bad, but not as appealing to me as a transparent amber would have been.

Ah, but the nose is fantastic. Sweet floral hops. A beautiful aroma that reminds me of my favorite IPAs.

The first taste is a perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness. Just the right dryness to make it refreshing. The rye gives it a slightly unique taste that sets it apart from the canonical west coast taste.

I really like this beer. It is very drinkable. At the same time it is complex and beautifully crafted.

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a dark hazy reddish color, small 1 finger white head that doesnt stick around very long (probably due to an unusually slow pour.) Great oily lacings all around my cup as I drink. Smells of sweet citrus hops, very overpowering thats really I can smell. Taste of grapefruit all the way on this one, impressive. Medium bodied with a great mouthfeel, low carbonation, and a nice tart pine aftertaste. The balance is superb in this brew, not too sweet not too bitter, great overall, exceptionally smooth. I could definetely have a few of these.

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Tops out as one of the best beers I have ever had! Dark chocalate brown with a small head, smells of bourbon, a dash of malt, chocalaty for sure, making me very hoppy! Smooth rich and goes down fast! I'ld write a review about its taste but all the ground has been covered on this one. Outstanding!!! I need not say more!

4.91/5  rDev +17.2%

Appearance: amber in color, extremely thin head

Smell: such a great scent! very fruity - grapefruit and hints of peach. The smell of the hops is also very dominant.

Taste: I thought this beer was definitely going to be one of the fruitier beers I've had, but I was pleasantly surprised. The fruitiness I smelled was not over-powering at all - in fact it was adequately matched with dryness of the rye, evening out the flavor very nicely.

Mouthfeel: Smooth & dry

Overall: LOVE IT. Finally, I have found a beer that my husband and I love equally! Thank you Founders for one less argument in the beer isle! Red's Rye PA was very easy to drink - I know this is produced year round, but I could see myself craving this beer in the Spring and Fall, in particular.

Collage girls drink GOOD beer:
www.brewreviewboston.blogspot.com

4.15/5  rDev -1%

This is a great beer! Deep amber color, grainy sweet carmelized malty smell, and tastes of earthy grains, slightly citrus with a hint of dry hops. Very enjoyable, improves dramatically as it warms. Continues to reveal new subtle flavors with each drink.

4.04/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance: Amber color, slight head-less than 1 inch, not crystal clear-not super very cloudy however

Smell: Caramel, malty, nutty

Taste: Malty, carmel, sweet, hop's

Mouthfeel: Filling, not overwhelming-not over carbonated, somewhat heavy but still delicate

Overall: Enjoyable with a lot of great qualities, well balanced, sweet but still has some bitter elements

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

note: I had this side by side with the Founders Centennial IPA, so my review may be skewed (I favor the IPA over the Rye PA).

A: Similar to the founders Centennial, with an avg. head. Amber in color with minor lacing.

S: More hop presence than expected. Toasty malts with intense citrus and grapefruit aroma. No yeast smell, very crisp.

T: Does not taste as hoppy as it smells. Rye is not to prominent. Very well balanced with perfect carbonation.

0verall: Easy to drink, very sessionable beer. For the money, I'd stick with the Founders Centennial.

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Deep caramel color with two-finger head which leaves thick lacing around the glass

S - Rye, hops, malts, and citrus

T - Hoppy taste, but nicely balanced by the rye and roasted malts.

M - Medium-bodied, flavorful and well-carbonated.

D - Very impressed with this beer. Flavorful and not too heavy. Makes me want more!

3.81/5  rDev -9.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a DFH tulip.

A- Literally my favorite color of beer- Deep reddish-copper. Solid 1+ inch head that laces well.

S- SO crisp. I get super-fresh pine and orange with a hint of dry malt at the end of each sniff. Smells like a very solid IPA.

T- Less rye than I would have expected... Excellent balance of malt and hops. Lacking the rye "zing" I was hoping for. Otherwise, again, VERY solid (I)PA.

M- Medium-bodied yet (again) SO crisp. Effervescence is almost too much. I almost wish it were more flat and syrupy.

D- I really enjoy this one. However, the rye factor only seems to give an otherwise solid IPA a crispness it otherwise might not have. That is, I was hoping for a rich, spicy character that I didn't find. That said, I'll certainly seek it out in the future.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Fresh bottle poured into pint glass.

Pours copper red with beige head that leaves thick lacing and nice cover throughout.

As soon as I cracked the bottle citrus floral hop aromas burst out of the bottle, this was a very good sign. Nose has some big citrus notes with malt and spicy earthy rye right behind it.

Taste is all sorts of awesome. Big hop citrus and bitterness, with red ale malt toastiness and rye earthy spice. Alcohol is nearly hidden. I'm in love with this beer.

Mouthfeel is full creamy and sticky. Drinkability is at an extreme level, dangerous.

Overall this an incredible beer. An instant favorite. I will always pick some of this up if it's fresh. I hope to find this on draft.

4.84/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Invested in a full 1/2 barrel for my home tap. Love this stuff. Great balance of bitter, body and unique flavor of rye. Nice maroon color and head that creates a nice lacing. Avoid if you don't like rye. But if that is good for you, it is a great alternative to super hoppy west coast ipas.

3.06/5  rDev -27%

This is a beer caramel in color. Once you bring it up to your nose you can smell hints of citrus. Once you taste this beer you can taste the hops as well as some slight citrus flavors. This also has a good amount of hops, but does have a very strong aftertaste.

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color is as expected, a "reddish" amber. Rye adds a pleasant "sour taste", but the main taste is bitterness from start to finish. Body is medium; could be a touch fuller. An excellent ale for those willing to try something different!

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Wonderful red-amber with a thick creamy off white head. Initially the lacing that was left was pretty substantial and sticky, but I really like to swirl which reinvigorates the head, but removes the lace. I could just smell, sniff sniff, this beer. Grapefruit. Really intoxicatingly crisp citrusy grapefruit with a side of pine. On the palate, the rye adds a great spicy quality to the subtly sweet malt flavors. The hop bitterness helps to create a clean finish, and then lingers quite nicely. "Red's Rye" has a very nice mouthfeel that is at the same time smooth and a bit prickly from the carbonation. If the beer didn't smell so good, and have such a nice bitter aftertaste, I would have drank it faster.

4.01/5  rDev -4.3%

Had on nitro-tap at the Harvest Party in my Founders Harvest Pint Glass.

Served with about an inch of dark tan nitro-smooth foam with considerable staying power on top of a dark coppery beer itself. Unfortunately the head somehow seemed to limit the hop smell I was expecting. Nothing wrong or off, it just seemed tame. However, Nitro-tap makes it much smoother and creamier than I've had it before and definitely let the flavors blend more. As I said above, this was not a smack you in the face with hops beer, followed by a rye aftertaste. Instead they blended and grew as I enjoyed it. This is a beer to savor over a long time, not pour down.

4.23/5  rDev +1%

Appearance - Pours a deep copper red color with two fingers of foam. Foam hangs around for a while, leaves no lacing

Smell - A floral hoppy aroma, lacking the sticky pine hop nose. The nose is overall light with a slight spiciness coming onto the scene late.

Taste/Mouthfeel - Full bodied, and it seems as if the rye is present right from the beginning both in the heavier body weight and the spiciness that attacks the tongue. The hops don't come on for a second or two and make their presence known on the mid pallet, but when they come they are well balanced and linger pleasantness. I detect a slight graininess in this beer that is perhaps is the presence of the rye.

Overall - This beer is a little too strong, and probably slightly too complex, to be a session beer. That being said it is a wonderfully balanced rendition of an increasing segment of pale ales. I would definitely buy another six pack of this and drink it with dinner.

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a gem from Founders. I've had it both from bottle and on tap, and I prefer on tap. I could drink this beer every day and be happy. It goes perfectly with anything cheesy.

A- A beautiful deep amber red with an off-white head that fades fairly quickly. Hold it up to the light and bask in its clarity. I'd love to paint my walls this color

S- Very hoppy, as it is a pale ale, with some fruity grapefruit undertones, and, of course, spicy rye

T- You're first hit by the bitter hops but it quickly smoothens out as the alcohol warms you. The rye leaves a spicy after taste that beckons you for another sip

M- Has a very dry aftertaste and the spicy rye slightly tingles the palate. Very smooth all-around

D- Highly drinkable and enjoyable. Goes well with virtually any situation. The best balance between rye and hops I've ever had in any beer.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass and boy did it look beautiful! Gorgeous copper in color with some brightness and a nice head. Smelled like heaven. Tons of hops in the nose, pine... grapefruit... caramel... rye. Awesome. Tasted pretty darn amazing as well--a beer crafted for me it seems as I love rye beers and all their spiciness, and yet I crave the hop assault of the DIPA. This was both, and yet strangely drinkable. I wouldn't want to drink them all night, but I'd like to have two or three a night pretty much every night of the week! Hops hops hops and rye (obviously) with just enough countering malt character to go down real smooth. Nice carbonation. Give me more! Love this one even more than the Centennial, and you can't compare it at all to the Breakfast Stout (the other Founders' I've tried), but everything I've had from them is phenomenal. Tastes a lot like Bear Republic's Hop Rod Rye, which is a great thing and each are one of my favorite brews. Wish there were more "RyePA"s out there as good as these ones. Awesome stuff.

A= Poored a deep burnt orange with red-brown edges and a tan head with tight bubbles and light lacing.
S= Hops up front. A bit of spice-nutmeg, allspice.
T= Hoppy pine and floral notes. A hint of rye and malty sweetness, but the sweetness vanishes immediatley and is dominated by the hops. Surprising amount of lingering hops considering it is rated at 70IBUs.
M= Prickly carbonation with puckering tannins and a dry after taste.
O= A tasty "rye P.A." but not particularly memorable. I am a hop head, but the hops are lingering long after the last swallow. Again, surprising for 70IBUs.

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I can see why this beer has such a high rating..bought it in a 12oz bottle and poured it into a pint glass. Great head on the beer that retained all the way through creating a great lacing on the glass. Not an overly hoppy beer but you know it is an IPA and a good one at that. Great balance of the flavors creates a high drinkable beer that I would definitely buy again.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company