Founders Red's Rye IPA | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Red's Rye IPAFounders Red's Rye IPA

Founders Brewing Company

Style: Rye Beer

Availability: Fall

Brewed with four varieties of Belgian caramel malts and 100% Amarillo hops.

Formerly called "Founders Red's Rye PA"

Added by Todd on 02-22-2004

Reviews: 1,662 | Ratings: 5,197
4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

I can see why this beer has such a high rating..bought it in a 12oz bottle and poured it into a pint glass. Great head on the beer that retained all the way through creating a great lacing on the glass. Not an overly hoppy beer but you know it is an IPA and a good one at that. Great balance of the flavors creates a high drinkable beer that I would definitely buy again.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

I've had this beer plenty. I most recently had a bottle at a beer fest in G.R. MI.

A = It has a great caramel red color and pours to a real rich reddish head. Beer laces the glass everytime wether from a bottle or had on tap.

S = Smell is one of the best red grapefruit aromas anywhere this side of a good sauvignon blanc. Great bittering aromas, floral notes with hints of dry grass.

T = This beer tastes amazing! Red Grapefruit, grassy, earthy hop flavors, a bit of caramel and a long lingering rye/hop finish.

M = The mouthfel is real good but wish it were a bit dryer.

O = Overall one of the best beers anywhere! I go back to this beer often because it's just exceptional. I will buy again, and again...

3.96/5  rDev -5.5%

Deep red in colour. Thin, white head. This beer was once called a Rye Pale Ale. As much as I like IPA's, I wish it had remained as such. I feel it's a bit too bitter to be able to appreciate the rye in the recipe. I've had others that are more subtle. Maybe our friends south of the border are, in fact, too into their bitter beers. Still a very good beer, nonetheless. Good mouthfeel, just overpowered by the 70 IBU's.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%

I've become a big fan of Founders and have enjoyed Red's Rye on several occasions.

The beer has a good head and pours reddish in color. There is a light haze and it looks good.

Aroma is slightly sweet.

Big rye flavor and nice sweetness. But, the hoppiness is what makes the Red's Rye a great beer in my opinion. Great finish.

Overall, a really great beer.

4.26/5  rDev +1.7%

Can't stand rye. why, why, why put rye in a beer. So , I was wrong. Wonderful beer. Might be my favorite beer from Founder. Really the best rye beer I'v every had.

Had this in a bar that didn't seem like they would have a micro but they had Red's Rye so boy was I happy when I found this.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

Great appearance. The head-to-beer contrast is quite beautiful with nice lacing. First thing you smell is grapefruit and slightly burnt caramel. To me, the taste is in-line with the aroma - very citrusy, fruity and crisp, with that backing of malt. This beer is very smooth with a nice hit of hoppy bitterness at the top of your mouth as it goes down.

3.84/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

In terms of India Pale Ale's this beer is not overly bitter. A very nice red color lives up to the name and its welcoming aroma of peaches leads to an easy drink, especially for fans of bitter beers. For those trying to delve into the IPA world this is a good place to start.

3.47/5  rDev -17.2%

It took me about 10 minutes to pour the entire bottle into the glass because the head was overflowing everywhere. Once I got it out the bottle the head lasted until I finished drinking the beer, leaving small pieces of tan foam on the sides of the glass. Beer had a strange appearance where it was darker at the top than at the bottom.

Had a strong hop scent to it with a hint of the rye. Was a bit heavy on the carbonation which was not surprising considering the head on this one. Overall had a good flavor. Would consider trying one again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A bit dated from my notes...
A: Dark amber, brownish....poured with an off white head.
S: A citrus hoppy aroma, full of rye over the top, very inviting!
T: Piney-spruce, with the rye taste right behind it, then the bitterness hits. Sweet with a tart/bitter finish.
M: Light mouthfeel...excellent carbonabtion
O: A great combination of flavors that come together in this brew.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

Creamy, awesome mouthfeel, with a thick, tenacious head. Pleasing amber color, although I personally prefer a much darker-looking beer. Smooth, subtle, hoppy taste, colored primarily with hints of nut and citrus. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, but it doesn't quite have me jumping out of my chair. Definitely worth trying.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured into a Saint Arnold pint glass
Enjoyed with Tribepride
App - Beautiful red color
Smell - I wish they made a candle out of this. It smells of citrus and malt.
Taste - Delicious! I really like how smooth this beer tastes. The finish is superb.
Mouth - Enjoying that malt.
Drink - I like this beer; nonetheless, I could only do one of these at a sitting. I will be buying some more of this in the future.

I have nothing bad to say about this beer. After pouring from bottle to glass it looked beautiful and rich and smelled powerfully good. There was plenty of good flavor and a fantastic after taste. I could easily drink this beer all night and not get sick of it or have any desire to switch it up. This beer cannot be recommended enough!

3.94/5  rDev -6%

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle.

A: Poured a nice amber color that was opaque. Loved the look of it with a light shining through it.

S: Not much here other than a bit of rye and citrusy hop background and some sweet malty goodness..

T: A smooth and flavorful beer with a nice hop undertone. The rye grain gives it a spiciness that really adds to this beer. And,a citrus blend in there works really well with caramel malt flavors. I wouldn't call this a complex beer necessarily, but it really melds several flavors together very well. Typical easy to drink,yet flavorful Founder's offering.

M: Oily.

O: Again, a smooth and easy to drink, yet quite flavorful IPA. The rye grain lends a spiciness to the profile that is really works well with the citrusy hops. Not the best rye ipa offering out there, but I still like it alot.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer was poured from my growler into a regular pint glass. Pour was amber color with a little lightness to it, very nice. My pour had a fairly small white head. Smell as happy with some grapefruit and a little lemony. Taste was similar to that as it was flavorful and happy with a citrus kick but decently balanced. This was my first time having this beer and I was very happy with it. When available on tap, I will definitely get again. Solid brew from founders

4.29/5  rDev +2.4%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a barley wine glass.

A six pack of any Founder’s beer is a night or three of pure pleasure I am finding.

Appearance: On the brown side of red. For a purported red beer this beer is actually pretty brown with red in its deepest hollows. Has a medium head that sticks around pretty well.

Aroma: Pure perfect hop/malt bliss. Something about rye beers really seems to facilitate a great balance between hops and malt, perhaps I am just drinking the right rye beers.

Taste: More of the same with a great combination of malt and hops. The finish is a little watery, but has a kick of hop bitterness to end.

Mouth Feel: Somewhat watery in mouth feel as well as flavor. Not as creamy as I suppose I would prefer, although its slight wateriness adds to its drinkability.

Drinkability: As I alluded to in the mouth feel section, this beer is pretty damn drinkable. It has everything I would want in a session beer, lots of flavor, great balance, and a mouth feel that is not too heavy.

4.17/5  rDev -0.5%

Beautiful reddish copper brew with caramel malt fruity sweet bread on the nose. Well balanced grapefruit with a kiss of pine on the buds. Malt came through first and foremost and bitter hoppy aspect devolved over a few sips. Mouthfeel is dusty and dry, but I mean that in a good way. Very nice! Yes, very nice!

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow, what a nice pleasant beer that has no flaws to speak of. I will never be able to review a beer in the same professional manner as some of you but I can tell you this. Try this one and it will speak for itself.

Founders is simply an amazing brewery that has mastered their craft. This beer is no exception. From the nose to the lacing and down the hatch this one has it all.

Red ruby grapefruit with hints of cut grass and lemon zest dominate the nose. The pallet is clean and crisp.

The first thing I did after trying this is jump on the PC to see if this was seasonal or year round. Thankfully this is a year round beer.

I will leave it to the pro's to break it down structurally and simply say, this jewel is beautiful.

4.02/5  rDev -4.1%

A - Amber colored with light head. The head shows up late but quickly recedes. A nice display.

S - Caramel and hops. You can really smell the pale ale part of this drink.

T - Bread like notes with caramel. A generous amount of hops with a sweet bitter ending.

M - High carbonation with a light body.

D - Founders got it right with this mixture. A lot of taste, but you can easily down 1-3 of these to relax. A beer I will look foward to having many times in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured into a true Guinness pint.

Poured a two-fingered, billowing head that reminds one of grandma's lemon meringue. Consistent lacing throughout, of which, the thought of stickiness excites the hopes of mouthfeel. The color is of liquid grapefruit...deep and hazy w/ active carbonation. Jimi are you with me? Grapefruit haze all in my brain...

A picnic in a glass! Bready and fruity...oops, I had to sneak a sip (I'm such a sinner)... the citrus aroma peeks over the maltiness, but, wait, THE HOPS! I've just been sucker-punched in the olfactory! This will be a treat.

Lucy in the Sky! This is what bong water should taste like. Sweet and Resinous, with a citrus and hop-packed, round-house kick to the "buds". Always at the forefront, the rye, you spicy devil, is king.

A medium carbonation keeps those dancing bears moving on your tongue. A gentle chewiness with silky smooth syrupy goodness brings me "love and happiness"... bount, chicka, bount bount...

This make me want to do the Humpty Hump. Can I have a case delivered to my doorstep ever other week?

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

12oz bottle poured into snifter

A - Deep dark amber in color. Almost a carmel color. Two finger white-tannish head

S - Citrusy hops. Getting some grapefruit and pine notes. Start to get hints of the rye aroma as well. As the beer warmed up, I started get some some sweeter notes as well

T - Just an abundance of different tastes that are dancing joyously across my palate. Almost starts out with a faint sweet caramelly malt. The hops take over and combine with a nice rye flavor to give it nice bitterness. Very Light citrusy, grapefruit notes

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation. Left with a very pleasant dry bitterness

O - Really enjoyed this offering from Founders. Disappointed in myself for waiting this long to try this one.

3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Deep, rich amber color with a big, pillowy head. Great lacing.

S: Citrus, a hint of sweet bread and caramel.

T: A terrific blend of sweet malt and citric hops. Neither seems to dominate - they stay wonderfully balanced throughout.

M: Rich, thick mouthfeel.

D: I could have a few of these. Full-flavored, yet smooth.

4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

(12oz bottle poured into pint glass)

A - Deep red with some brown-amber tones, and a bit on the cloudy side. Moderately carbonated but poured well with a 1/2 inch off-white-cream-like head. Pretty poor on the retention front and the lacing was on the patchy side, but sat consistently throughout the session.

S - Picked up on some "nutty" aromas which were more of an undertone to the major hop sensation my nose was getting. Grapefruit anyone?

T - Well-hopped and heavy malt essence made for a really enticing experience. A considerable amount of crisp hoppy bitterness as the rye played notes and hinted at the initial yeast pitch in each swig.

M - almost had my mouth feeling a little dry from the big bite of the hops.

I initially had this at a bar a while back and thought it was great. I like it even more now.

4.32/5  rDev +3.1%

This is my first taste of Founders Brewing and I must say I am impressed. I am usually bound to buy the typical Belgium Trippel's and Quad's, but this bottle struck my eye at Total Wine. The beer pours a nice red color, and it tastes fantastic. The carbonation is not overpowering and you can taste the Rye and hops. A well balanced beer that I see myself buying in the future. I definitely recommend this beer to anyone.

This is such a uniquely delicious beer. I've not had many rye beers and have also not been terribly impressed with blended style beers but this is great.

It pours a golden red with good head that hung around for a little bit, and was back with a few quick swirls. The aroma is a powerful kick of citrus and grapefruit, can't say enough about the aroma that carries through the whole pint. The bitter component is very well balanced with the body of the beer, great finish a little spice to add to the powerful aroma.

This beer is well worth checking out especially if you typically gravitate to hoppy brews.

Wow, WOW. I had know idea what to expect from this beer. I picked it out randomly believe it or not, cause I had never seen it before. It sat in my fridge for over a month before I finally tried it. I was nervous as I had never had a "rye" beer. This beer goes down like cool-aid. Its got a smooth but very flavorful sweet taste. Its like a tamed down IPA but packed full with taste. This is my favorite beer so far.

Founders Red's Rye IPA from Founders Brewing Company