Founders Oatmeal Stout | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

A Founders take on a classic style, brewed with a generous amount of flaked oats, chocolate malt, roasted barley and a healthy helping of Nugget hops, Founders Oatmeal Stout is nitrogen-infused to give it an extra smooth and creamy mouthfeel. An attractive cascade effect gives this beer its forthright visual appeal—and the body and clean flavor deliver on that initial promise.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-22-2004

2.23/5  rDev -42.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Very dark. Head stays. Some coffee notes but very acidic. Not a strong aroma. Not on the top of my oatmeal stout list.

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.56/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Reviewed on 6/27/2010. On nitro tap at Founders. Pours black with a thick nitro head. Aroma of sweet roasted malt and an odd skunk-like aroma (odd in a tap beer, but it was there). Flavor of sweet roasted malt plus the odd skunk (less apparent but still there). It was very bland tasting -- not bad just bland. I was disappointed, as I had expected better from Founders but this is not one of their winners.

2.63/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.64/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

On nitro, not going to review the nitro listing cause these are the same beer. You don't need a different listing for every type of serving.

A: Pours dark black, that is not quite opaque. Some ruby brown around the edges. A tan head that rises with that cascading look that all nitro taps give.
S: Bland. Just a bit of bitter roast. Day old, cold coffee. Nothing is really here.
T: Again, bland as can be. Except for a bitter roasted finish. More, bad old coffee than anything.
M/D: What feel? Lifeless, artificial, thin. Blah. I did not enjoy this at all. The nitro has done a wonderful job of killing any kind of oatmeal stout that might be here.

I had to do it...give it a try. Who knows if one of my favorite breweries could change my mind or not? If nothing else to reaffirm that nitro is such a waist of good beer. Maybe there is an actual oatmeal stout lingering somewhere? I can't tell however, cause there is no character at all.

2.66/5  rDev -31.3%

I'm big on Founders beers and their specialty stouts are among my favorites. Maybe I had high expectations when I finally made the trip up to grand rapids but that hasn't stopped me from being impressed by good beer at other brewery's. That being said I found this to be a very pretty yet bland beer. It had everything going for it but it tasted like a stout for the masses. And, the feel I got from the crowed and some other brewery only offerings was that they were trying to appeal to the masses. Not a lot of flavor I'm sure anyone who's favorite beer is Guinness Draught would think it's great but I'd take a Samuel Smith oatmeal stout any day over this.

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Too bitter and smoky.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

2.98/5  rDev -23%

Tastes like Guiness, but not in a good way.

2.98/5  rDev -23%

On nitro at World of Beer Tioga (Gainesville, FL). Pours pitch black with a beautiful creamy espresso head on top. Aroma of next to nothing here, maybe some lightly roasted malts, water, that’s it. Flavor follows incredibly bland, watered down roast with very little else going on. Thin mouthfeel even for nitro--which always comes off thin to me, despite the silkiness--and low carbonation. Overall, I would take this over Guinness, but it’s just not my style. What’s the point? I’d just rather drink water and save the liver.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3