Founders Black Rye | Founders Brewing Company

Added by maxpower on 09-17-2004

Ratings: 1,592 |  Reviews: 455
1.4/5  rDev -65.3%

1.94/5  rDev -52%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

2.18/5  rDev -46%

I'm afraid I might have an infected bottle. Got this in a trade, so I cant try the review again, I only have 1 bottle.

Popped the cap to a powerful blasting hiss. Poured into a pint glass only yo reveal a huge overflowing 4+ inches of geyser like borwn head. Once settles it leaves sea foam like half inch retention and the weirdest looking lace I've ever seen. I dont even have a word for it. Its like amoldy seafoam of brown foam.
The beer itself is black with a mild glowing red hue when held to light.

Aromas of cocoa powder, sweet maltyness and a bit of rye along with some bitter chocolate grain.

Taste? Well, I cant say I got that far. Its bad, the bottle is bad. Once the liquid was in my mouth, WAMO! some kind of scientific reaction, the liquid turns to foam and lots of it, carbonations stinging the hell out of my mouth. Spit it out and am dissapointed, the bottle is infected....

Drainpour.

2.44/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Did not enjoy the smokey taste in this one.

2.94/5  rDev -27.2%

Pretty tasty for a black rye worth a try at least once

2.94/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bought this one from a singles rack. Not one I will be likely to try again.

2.96/5  rDev -26.7%

Thanks to ahatch78 for this extra.

12oz. stubby brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. Screw Founders dating system.

A: Pours nearly straight black with some small brown hues that creep through when back lit. 2 1/2 fingers of mocha head that hangs out for quite a bit. Nice clumps of lacing on the side at first.

S: Rye phenols and nice citrus resiny oils. Some burnt grains that aren't as pleasant.

T/M: Dry to the point of being chalky. Dry coffee. Hoppy grapefruit with plenty of bitterness and large rye phenols. Medium body with enough carbonation.

D: Not a bad brew, but the mouthfeel really hurts it. I'll try it again to see if I like it better.

Yup, Yep. Yum yum bubbles

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%

01.31.15: brief impressions below. Full review to follow.

Served chilled, not cold. Bottled 12/30/14.

HEAD: Healthy and long-lasting. Apt khaki colour. Not much lacing. Good consistency overall.

BODY: Opaque dark black with cola-brown ridges.

Looks decent, but it's not unique or special.

AROMA: Heavy on chocolate malt, with rye's signature spiciness shining through as well. The dry hopping is evident.

TASTE/TEXTURE: The roasty malt characteristics don't play well with the dry hopping. There's a dragging bitter harshness at the heart of this beer, which I'm not big on. The harshness that accompanies its burnt sugar characteristics is equally off-putting. Molasses. Cream. Dark malts. Schwarz malts. The chocolate malts lend it a chocolatey sweetness that feels out of place, and rye's spiciness isn't well showcased. Its scratchy unrefreshing feel doesn't help, and it suffers from slight astringency; this has a tannic husky feel to it, with subsidiary notes of starch. This is pretty disappointing.

OVERALL: Drinkable but underwhelming and overpriced for its quality. A forgettable rye beer from Founders, Black Rye won't be appearing on my receipts ever again. I hoped for better considering the quality of the brewery behind this, but I suppose it's above average.

C+

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

I got this because I found it marked down ridiculous. My local shop had a 4-pack for $5, and while I know rye beers and black beers each aren't usually my forte, I decided to get it anyways, because how can you pass up a deal like that? Well, it's certainly a black rye. That's for sure. For the style, especially considering the ratings on this site, obviously it is amazing. For me however, it was just too much. Too strong on the rye / spice for me personally and has a strong black malt taste as well.

If you like rye beers, you'll probably dig this beer. For me however, it's not one I plan to purchase again.

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%

A let down, very odd to me

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The rye was lacking. Neither an excellent black IPA nor an excellent rye ale. A mediocre beer trying to do too much.

3.16/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

very dark, bitter but with less hops and rye than I would like

3.19/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle. Poirs a dark black color with tannish brown head. This one is okay but one of my least favorites from Founders.

3.21/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Enjoyed the pepper from the rye, but it did not have much aroma and to me it was too bitter.

3.23/5  rDev -20%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Founders Black Rye has a thin, beige head, a black (with ruby highlights, under direct sunlight) appearance, and splotchy lacing left on the glass. The aroma is of piney & citrusy hop resin, and that’s about it. Taste is of standard hop resin, some char, and a bit of sweet malt. Bitterness might be rated at 78 IBU, but this beer is NOT particularly bitter. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Founders Black Rye finishes semi-dry and drinkable. No alcohol showing up in the aroma or flavor. If I did not know this beer contained rye, I’d never think of it. This beer is similar to many other run-of-the mill, hop-resin ales of the last four or five years. I would not pick this one to introduce a Coors Light drinker to craft beers, since Coors Light is arguably better than this. Yes, I think it is better, on second thought.

RJT