Lizard Of Koz | Founders Brewing Company

Lizard Of KozLizard Of Koz

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This one is near and dear to our hearts. Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki wanted to make the birthday of his little sister, Liz, a special one. So he did what he does best and brewed a stout using a few of her favorite ingredients: fresh Michigan blueberries, rich chocolate and vanilla aged in bourbon barrels to round out those beautiful flavors. Liz was floored and we think you will be too.

Added by Bung on 04-18-2015

Reviews: 221 | Ratings: 677

Poured at the Black Party at Founders April 16, 2016. While Founders make some amazing dark beers, this is one of the highlights of several Black Parties for me. This is a tar black, viscous stout that smells like rich sweet chocolate with hints of anise, vanilla and black cherries. It is a perfect chocolate dessert in a glass with light carbonation, thick and rich mouthfeel and the flavor profile of amazingly rich, deep and luscious chocolate. I'm actually not a chocolate person and this is one of the best liquids I've ever put in my mouth.

Wow! This is absolutely amazing!! Poured into a tulip glass and let it warm a little. This was so great I went out and picked up a bunch more bottles. I love this one!!

S: The smell alone is astonishing great. I find myself sniffing it over and over. It has a really strong vanilla smell, with bourbon more faint.

T: The taste is loaded with everything promised on the label. I get a nice stout with chocolate, vanilla, blueberry, and bourbon.

Thanks to my lovely wife for finding this. She said "this looks so like you". She was right (as always :-)

4.99/5  rDev +30.3%

My first 5!!!! I think it is anyways. My tastebuds tell me so. The blueberry just brings out everything so well! It's a sweet blueberry taste, not the tart or sour taste you might associate with blueberries. This is one that everyone should try and few, if any, will disagree with my praise!

4.89/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L: dark black, large head that lasts. Some lacing.
S: sweet and tasty smell. Mouth watering.
T: very sweet, blueberry first, then strong chocolate taste. Finishes very nice.
F: full bodied stout.
O: I usually like sweet stouts and this one was amazing. Tastes exactly like the bottle describes.

4.75/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: deep, dark brown-purple, nearly opaque. Big fluffy mocha head on the pour that recedes to a respectable coating. Messy, lingering lacing.
Smell: sweet vanilla, blueberry bourbon with nicely contrasting light mocha roastiness.
Taste: sweet vanilla blueberry pie up front. A nice bourbon slightly tart finish.
Overall: magnificent brew. If ya like sweet and strong impy stouts this is it. If not, please leave more for the rest of us!

4.74/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A very good imperial stout from Founders. The taste definitely reminds me of those chocolates with berries which a touch of vanilla. It will cost you an arm and a leg for one bottle but it is definitely worth it.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

split between me and my buddy into two founders snifters.
First poured jet black with 2 finger head. At first sip, the blueberry hits you in the face, then mellows out with the chocolate, then finishes with blueberry pie. The only thing bourbon barrel about the beer is a hint in the smell. But this beer is a delicate mess. In the best way possible. Maybe too sweet for some but I am loving every sip.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on draft at Brash Brewing in Houston, TX.

Appearance: Black motor oil with 1 finger of mocha head

Aroma: Roasted malt and java

Taste: This is where this stands out, decadent layers of blueberries, with vanilla and the oak and bourbon flavors are subdued but tie everything together from it being too sweet

Mouthfeel: Full body

Overall: A decadent stout that is a real treat for me. The bourbon keeps the beer from getting too sweet and really make this an enjoyable desert beer that could really be enjoyed anytime.

4.7/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from bottle into snifter.
L: Near black color with a weak foam head.
S: Cake, vanilla, blueberry.
T: Blueberry, bourbon, sweets.
F: Tight body and medium carbonated.
O: On of the best imperial stout that I've tasted.

4.64/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours opaque, dark black in color with 1/4 inch head. Taste is big blueberry, bourbon, vanilla, and oak. Heavy bodied, moderate carbonation, and sweet. Makes for an excellent dessert beer. One of the better Founders beers I have had. One of the better blueberry beers I have had as well. Well worth seeking out and sipping.

4.63/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Into a tulip glass: thick two+ fingers of caramel foam. Immediate scent of blueberry and vanilla, coffee-dusted chocolate at the back. The nose alone is a treat. First big sip is blueberry, vanilla dominates second, chocolate appears at the swallow. Have to say right here quite a few people are saying this is too sweet; I disagree. In fact, the tartness in the blueberry cuts the sweet, and in conjunction with the malty coffee-choco stout, first gulp/impressions say this is near-perfectly constructed.

Getting into this pour, I'm almost afraid I'm drinking this too fast. Alcohol is for me extremely well hidden, dangerously so. Low carbonation adds to the smooth mouthfeel. As it's warming up, the vanilla is almost gently blanketing the blueberry; the chocolate is coming through more. I'm very impressed!

I was wary of spending $17.99 for each of my two bottles; reading some initial quick reviews were scaring me (the sweetness factor). As my first glass gets ready for a refill, the only thing I'm scared about now is wondering if I'm going to be able to score a couple more bottles. This is spectacular IMO right now and I think some age on this could make this a 5. (When I pause to write, I can taste in my cheeks the gentle tingle of those blueberries and vanilla. Love it!) Grand slam for me!

4.54/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Founders Lizard of Okoz
750mL bottle into a snifter

A: Jet black, 1.5 fingers width of light mocha head is dense appearing and dissipates very slowly. Lots of lacing sticks to the side of the glass. 4.5

S: Aroma is roasty, very big blueberry notes, significant vanilla, charred oak, chocolate. It's very unique but I absolutely love the aroma. 4.75

T: This is delicious. It's very sweet, lots of blueberry and lots of vanilla. Big chocolate characters too. Barrel notes are fairly subtle, although there are some nice charred oak flavors; perhaps bigger barrel characters could make this one even better, but as is I still love it. 4.5

M/D: Full bodied, almost thick. Carbonation moderate but appropriate, ABV is very well masked and drinkability is very good. 4.25

O: Overall, I am loving this beer. My suspicion is this is going to be very hit or miss for folks, because it is quite unique and I'm guessing not for everyone. But as someone who loves blueberries and is generally a bigger fan of fruited stouts than most, I have to say that this one was a big hit for me. 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smell: vanilla blueberry milk chocolate coffee.

Taste: upfront you get a tart blueberry flavor but then in the mid palate it turns completely to sweet blueberry almost like blueberry pie vanilla and milk chocolate also come through in the finish you get a hint of coffee but then it's just sweet dark berries. That blueberry flavor turns into a dark chocolate covered cherry.

Feel: full body Rich and creamy.

Overall: Fair Warning this beer is really sweet. It's probably best too split a bottle between three people. But in saying that this is one of the most decadent complex tasting beers I've ever had. If there was a little more roast or coffee to balance out the sweetness this might be the best barrel aged Stout I've ever tasted. A world class beer for sure. Great work founders!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bomber,into a Cigar City snifter.

Thick,creamy,dark khaki colored,1 finger head,with large to small bubbles.After the head dissipates,it leaves a beautiful lacing,and patches in the glass. Jet black in color with no light showing through the glass.Very light carbonation.

On the nose I get chocolate,vanilla,blueberry,and a little bit of bourbon.I also get some hints of caramel.

On the palate I get a full on blast of sweet blueberries up front,the bourbon does a nice job of balancing it out,so it isn't TOO sweet.I get chocolate and vanilla on the back end,but the palate is definitely dominated by blueberry all the way through.Also getting some roasted caramel on the back end,with a little bit of smoke.Dark fruits as well.After further review,the taste is a little over the border sweet...But still a good beer.

The body is FULL, thick, and syrupy.

This is a very good imperial stout,and hard to beat when it comes to desert beers.Not something I would drink all the time....Too heavy,and too expensive.But it is something I will definitely look forward to drinking again.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving: 750mL bottle poured into a Founder's taproom snifter. No bottled on date, but this is roughly 2 months old at this point.

A: Pours a slick black with a purple hue. Light brown, bubbly head that floats on top and scatters. Very sticky up the glass.

S: At first, I surprisingly get a ton of vanilla, then maybe a bit of blueberry in the background. On a deep whiff, I get wet bourbon barrels, but you really have to pull it out.

T: Woah, baby. Huge vanilla and blueberry up front, almost equal amounts. Finish isn't tart, but very sweet and full of blueberries and cake. Some caramel, honey, maple glaze. Not a lot of chocolate to be honest, and literally no bourbon notes in the flavor.

M: Nice and full, slick, rich. Can be a bit sweet and decadent near the finish, but if you're in the mood for a dessert, it's quite pleasant.

O: So far, this has been a very polarizing beer. I've heard it's a standard Founder's fruit beer that's rich and dessert-like, and then I've heard that it's cloying and too sweet and even undrinkable. My first impression of this beer was back when it was a pilot beer at a Black Party. Back then, I was in love. I remember perfectly balanced blueberry, chocolate and bourbon. It was almost like a Blueberry Bourbon County. But after mass-production and bottling, I feel the beer has changed a bit. It's no longer a stunner, but rather just an average sweet stout. It's still very tasty, and I constantly find myself reaching for a sip, but that could just be because I have a sweet tooth. Disappointed that there's very little barrel character, only coming in the nose. Missing chocolate almost completely. It's really a blueberry-vanilla bomb. It's a very niche beer, that if brought out during the right time, can be very, very good. But bring it out at the wrong time, and you're gonna be disappointed.

Recommendation: Anything Founder's puts in a barrel has to be tried, but be warned that this is strictly a sweet dessert beer and should be consumed as such.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Only had a sample of this on tap. Really excellent though, some tarte blueberry goes well with sweet notes of vanilla, caramel, chocolate, subtle touch of bourbon. Very little boozieness. Solid mouthfeel, velvety smooth.

Based on other reviews I can't understand the knock for being overly sweet... but perhaps that's due to the small serving size I enjoyed. Still, I think there is a place for a very sweet, decadent stout - a true desert stout. However maybe I have a bit of a bias as some of my favourite stouts are extremely sweet, such as Apple brandy barrel noir, kbs & bcbs.

4.52/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Jet black pour with deep tan and fluffy head. The head lasted and laced down the entire glass. I love the laces. Lots of chocolate syrup and vanilla beans, and blueberry pie. I'm getting marshmallow fluff too. Initial tastes are sweet chocolate, vanilla, blueberries. I will say that the blueberry starts out low key, then sweet, then finishes tart. If you've ever had a just not ripe enough blueberry-that's how it finishes. Good depth of the blueberry. Lighter bourbon barrel peeks it's head in right before the tart finish. My only minor complaint is it could use a bit more silky body but this probably adds to it's drinkability. Another winner from Founder's!

4.51/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pitch black from the bomber. Tan suds and thick lace.

Aroma: Chocolate, fruit, roasty cocoa and char. Nice!

Taste: Sweet blueberry up front, with plenty of chocolate and bittersweet cocoa. Finishes with a little heat and warmth from the bourbon barrels. Wow, this is a heavy-duty, rich, and complex stout and a brilliantly wonderful sipper. Would love to have again.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a chalice.

Appearance: Pours midnight black. Moderate amount of bubbles and a big three finger tan head that quickly settles into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: A rich, sweet, and roasty dark malt driven aroma with a scent of chocolate, vanilla, and blueberries. Big upfront scent of sweet blueberries. Dark roasted malt with a scent of sweet chocolate, fudge, coffee, caramel, toffee, biscuit, and toast with some yeast. The bourbon scent is subtle but there is a noticeable scent of vanilla. Also some sweet hints of lactose, maple syrup, and brown sugar. A pretty nice rich aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a rich, roasty, and pretty sweet dark malt driven taste with notes of blueberries, chocolate, and vanilla. Upfront sweet taste of blueberries. Dark roasted malt with notes of dark chocolate, fudge, caramel, toffee, coffee, toast, and biscuit along with some yeast. Sweet taste of vanilla, lactose milk, maple syrup, and brown sugar. Barrel notes of bourbon and oak that come through more with warming. A pretty good sweet taste.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with a moderate level of carbonation. Rich, syrupy, and fairly sticky. Alcohol heat is hidden well.

Overall: A pretty good twist on a big Stout. Very sweet but not to the level of sickly to me. Nice blueberry and chocolate flavor. Could of used a little more barrel presence.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Very well done complex beer. The smell, as well as the taste, brings out notes of chocolate, vanilla and blueberries. The beer is very silky but packs a punch!

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

I don't see a bottle date.

Appearance: Black body with a dark khaki head that rides low across the surface with a creamy and frothy texture. It fades out slowly to a thick ring.

Aroma: There is a light woody bourbon aroma and a nice chocolate scent. The chocolate scent really stands out and gives the aroma a great presence. While it isn't a strong aroma the chocolate scent smells similar to the aroma that is picked up when walking into a chocolatier.

Taste: Oh man the flavor! I am hit by this huge chocolate liqueur flavor. Then there is a great light woody bourbon undertone to the chocolate. There is this big bold tartness that is joined by a blueberry flavor that is more dark and heavy than what you would find in a bright fresh blueberry. It works well with the chocolate flavor and it tastes a lot like a blueberry bonbon. The aftertaste is just pure decadence and wonderful desert. After the beer warms up a bit there is this wonderful big vanilla flavor that makes it through in the aftertaste. It is literally perfect tasting.

Mouthfeel: It is a nice thick, a bit syrupy, beer with a nice smooth texture and good carbonation. It feels a lot like drinking a liqueur at times.

Overall: There are very few beers that actually deliver what they advertise on the label. This beer advertises an "imperial stout brewed with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla aged in bourbon barrels." Literally every flavor advertised was in the beer and as a bonus they were done well. I was absolutely surprised at how good this beer is and now it is on my radar for good. I will be looking for this beer when it becomes available again and I would highly recommend seeking out this beer, even at length.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Folks this is an Imperial Stout brewed with blueberries, chocolate and vanilla aged in bourbon barrels. Come on, Its near perfect. Pours an opaque dark brown with a nice healthy head and lacing. Tastes & smells just like an imperial stout should taste & smell with great blueberry, chocolate & vanilla flavors (you can taste all 3). A fantastic "desert beer." Excellent recipe Founders!

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lots of chocolate and vanilla on the nose; a touch medicinal over time. Strange flattening of the aroma due to the blueberries. Evolves into a root beer aroma.

Immediately a lovely beer on the palate. The blueberries add a tart, sweet kick, fairly evenly balanced with the vanilla. The bourbon influence is noticeable but extremely well integrated. Very sweet, but not too sweet. Brown sugar and berries.

This is an absolutely delightful beer, and shockingly so.

4.49/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft pour into a snifter. Pours black with light tan head that disapates quickly. Smells of blueberry cobler with some bourbon. Taste is tart chocolate covered blueberry up front that give way to a sweet blueberries and bourbon.

4.48/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is certainly a polarizing beer in reviews, I wonder if it had anything to do with different batches. I had this beer for the first time and it was outstanding - look is great, smell awesome, taste was off the chart. I've always felt that your feelings prior to something really impact the outcome. As an example if someone tells you to see this movie because it's the best ever...probably going to be let down. The opposite also happens, so many bad reviews I thought this may be terrible - it wasn't for sure. So I ended up buying two more bottles from two other stores and opened the second one - awesome. So far so good - looking forward for the 3rd in a few months time. Fun beer that really has the crowd split.

Lizard Of Koz from Founders Brewing Company