Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Lizard Of KozLizard Of Koz

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

This one is near and dear to our hearts. Brewmaster Jeremy Kosmicki wanted to make the birthday of his little sister, Liz, a special one. So he did what he does best and brewed a stout using a few of her favorite ingredients: fresh Michigan blueberries, rich chocolate and vanilla aged in bourbon barrels to round out those beautiful flavors. Liz was floored and we think you will be too.

Added by Bung on 04-18-2015

1.4/5  rDev -63.7%

Jazzed to find this on tap at the Boulder Tap House in Mankato, MN. 10 oz. pour with dinner.

Every see “A Night at the Roxbury?” Trying to drink this is like having that noxious movie in your mouth. It’s black. It’s full of tart, under-ripe blueberry that clashes with a sharp, unpleasant bitterness & the fullness of the malts. Zero bourbon presence. Nothing about this is good, & the ingredients seem determined to fight tooth & nail.

I left 5 of 10 ounces behind – couldn’t finish it. I’m the guy who’ll eat my way through any blueberry patch I come across – it once took me almost an hour to finish a 50 foot portage with my canoe because of these little buggers – but I don’t eat the nasty, green, bitter ones. That’s what it tastes like they used in this beer. Truly bloody awful.

1.45/5  rDev -62.4%

I absolutely hate this beer. Sorry founders, you usually do a good job but this is a total miss. Way too strong on the blueberries. Not enough traditional stout flavors such as chocolate or coffee or toasted malt. It's waaaaay too sweet. It's waaaaay too blueberry. I get where they were going but they screwed it up big time. I cannot stand this beer. It was a struggle to finish the bottle, but I refuse to waste a $20 bottle of beer.

1.5/5  rDev -61.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.65/5  rDev -57.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

A beer that tastes like chocolate covered blueberries is not my thing. It literally tasted exactly like those. Pretty un-drinkable imo. If you like chocolate berry flavored beer then go for this guy but it was way too much for me.

1.69/5  rDev -56.2%

Look: fantastic. Smell: berries, cough syrup, childhood illness. Taste: a mixture of robitussin, keflex, and augmentin. Feel: see previous. In the spirit of antibiotic stewardship, it feels like this is too much, too strong, a more narrow agent would do. More likely something viral, promoted by friends, amped up to be more than what it is, self limiting but weak at its heart. Feel: I feel like I want my money back. Seriously this is one of the worst beers I have ever had. It gives credence to InBev poking fun at craft brewers. Just stop.

1.7/5  rDev -56%

I'll just get right to this one. Yes good looking beer from a good brewery.

The nose is sweet with blue berries shockingly there and not just there but they're sweet? Yes some chocolate and vanilla and bourbon along with roasted malts.

The flavor is insanely sweet, to the point I can't really understand it. It was as if they were going for some kind of fruit beer with a stout malt. Blue berries in nature are very sour, they aren't super sweet. A good stout is balanced by dark roast and bitter hops. Even chocolate is bitter. Vanilla should add a bit of sweet but not this much. This isn't the worst beer but they should have called it something other than a stout or said it was a "sweet stout". Just way over the top on the sugars.

The mouth feel was good and got most of the bigger stout notes right. Still the sugars leave it a bit off in my mind.

I'm sorry but at this price point (18-19) this is horrible. The score reflects that price as well as the bad description. This is becoming a theme form founders where they over sugar and artificially (tasting at least) enhance the sweetness of these releases. The end result is beer that varies from interesting to horrible. They are just not even coming close to making great beer these days. This is a HUGE pass.

1.75/5  rDev -54.7%

Awful. Just awful. If you like pop (soda), then maybe you'll like this beer because it tastes nothing like a beer should. This is probably the worst Founders beer I have ever had.
This beer smells and looks like a imperial stout should but it all ends there. The taste is overwhelmingly sweet, almost like artificial blueberry syrup. Cloying doesn't cover it; it is sweeter than Rubaeus. Truly a waste of bourbon barreling because there is no hint of bourbon behind all that tart sugar.
Truly wish I had read BeerAdvocate before I ordered it. :(

1.78/5  rDev -53.9%

Nice aroma of blueberry, chocolate, vanilla and Bourbon. Taste is nowhere close to the aroma, as all it tastes like is exceedingly sweet, mildly tart, blueberries. I enjoyed the Miller Golden Draft Light I had last night more. And I just drain poured a $20 beer. Fuck

1.86/5  rDev -51.8%

I love blueberries. I love chocolate. I love beer. But this is a syrupy (as in cough syrupy), cloying mess. A rare (as in, practically never - see the part about loving beer) drain pour after about 8 nauseating ounces at which point all my hope for this beer vanished and I switched to a mid-price port for the evening. And the port isn't as sweet as this miserable beer! It's all sweetness and berry up front, no detectable vanilla, or barrel, and only a hint of chocolate.

A confession: in days of yore when my palate was less (Ahem...) refined (end pretentiousness... now! sorry...) and my beer budget was smaller I would buy Trader Joe's Stockyard Oatmeal Stout and spike it with a shot of Chambourd (did I mention that I love berries and beer?) and even that poor man's beer cocktail was way better than this mess of a beer! And cheaper too.

I've been impressed by Founders as they start to turn up more and more in CA, but this beer is a massive misfire.

1.9/5  rDev -50.8%

This is one of the worst beers I've ever had and I love porters and stouts

L: dark and rich with a nice head
S: Good sweet aroma
T: OMG I want to throw up. The blue berry is overwhelming. Completely ruins this beer. It be fine if we were talking maple syrup to go over my pancakes but this is God awful
F: I want to throw up
O: What a fucking disappointment. Founders I now know that I can trust a beer just because it has your name on it. I bought a bomber and drank 8oz the rest went down the drain. Though I have some concern about polluting our water supply with such a tragic beer. If you enjoy imperial stouts DO NOT BUY THIS BEER

1.94/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

Pours a near pitch black color with a finger of bubbly tan head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing as it dissipates. Has a faint tinge of red hue that makes this a treat to look at under the light.

The aroma brings notes of chocolate syrup and candied blueberries. Has a faint hint of roastiness and char. Very medicinal.

The flavor is unfortunately not as forgiving as the nose. Some chocolate, maybe a hint of vanilla. Then comes the medicinal, Robitussin flavor. It's sickly sweet, cloying, and nearly undrinkable.

The mouth is full bodied, with nearly non-existent carbonation. Syrupy, sticky, and full of alcohol. Not dissimilar to cough syrup. Actually, it's pretty much exactly cough syrup.

Overall, I wasn't sure what I was expecting. Fortunately, I didn't purchase the bottle myself as it was shared with me by a friend. It's overly sweet and artificial, and the alcohol plays far too significant a role. It's sticky, medicinal, and legitimately reminds me of cough syrup. Thank God I didn't pay $20 for this.

1.96/5  rDev -49.2%

It did not taste like a beer. Overall too sweet. Unidentified flavor on the front smokey distilled taste on the back end.

1.96/5  rDev -49.2%

1.97/5  rDev -49%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.5

750ml bottle - $18.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a black body with an inch of slowly receding, brownish foam.

Smell: Blueberry chocolate sauce, melted table sugar and a side shot glass of booze. Hmm.

Taste: Blueberry pancake syrup blended with semi-sweet chocolate for a rippling onsalught of cloying sweetness. It's like sipping on chilled simple syrup. Even the meager vanilla and barrel hints get totally overwhelmed by the burgeoning sweetness. The alcohol presence does little to cut or curb the sweetness, leaving this perhaps one of the most undrinkably cloying beers I've ever had.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-light carbonation.

Overall: Water, please! While usually fairly reliable, this was a straight-up repulsive offering from Founders, and, given the steep price-tag, just a real slap in the face.

1.98/5  rDev -48.7%

2.04/5  rDev -47.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

This beer tastes like the blueberry girl from Willy Wonka took a s**t into a barrel which they aged with the childhood cough syrup that haunts your nightmares. Disaster.

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

This is the absolutely the worst beer I've ever had.
Give me a Bud before this. Yes it's that bad.

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

blueberry syrup mixed with Guinness

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

I'm not sure what was going on here.
L: looked about as good as Breakfast/Imperial stout.
S: Great aroma, hints of blueberry.
T: Throw some blueberry jelly into the Imperial Stout, (IMHO, an almost sacred beer,) and see what happens.
F: Mouthfeel was smack dab between the Imperial Stout and Breakfast Stout.
O: Something went seriously wrong here.

2.32/5  rDev -39.9%

Looks the part. Black as night. Creamy dark brown head. Lacing is spotty in nature and moderate in quantity. Nose is thick and rich. Bourbon, roast,blueberry, vanilla. The flavor brings with it something that was not very prevalent on the nose and that is sweetness....and a LOT of it. It's really surprising in a way how sugary and sweet this beer is. Cough syrup comes to mind. Not exactly what I look for in a bourbon imperial stout, (Yeah, I know the blueberry/vanilla/chocolate were advertised as well, but it's all too much in this one.) It's actually a bit of a turnoff, Cloying even. It's dominant. And it's a bit of a mess when blended with a little roasted bitterness, alcohol and bourbon. Sweetness is derived from blueberry and vanilla. Syrupy taste and feel. Not my kind of impy stout. Too sweet, syrupy and cloying.

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

2.33/5  rDev -39.6%