Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Reviews: 1,471 | Ratings: 4,965
4.73/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance - pours a dirty, reddish amber. A thin creamy head holds up for just a bit before dropping back to a partial cover. A ring of thin lace at the high water mark.

Aroma - huge, raisiny, boozy malts. For a DIPA (Or TIPA...TrIPA??), the citrus is there but lost in the heavy fruit and syrup.

Taste - big, sweet, warm and malty with caramel and a great roasty component. Coffee notes on the swallow, quite delicious, and a mellow abv presence that is unbelievably well-hidden for this 13% brew. Ends just as warm, the hops finally displaying a bitter edge.

Mouthfeel - full, heavy smoothness. Big body as expected and a muted carbonation.

Drinkability - an awesome bottle of beer; better still with a few years of age on it, IMO.

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%

Just picked up a 12 oz of this guy at my local spot. Founders is steadily becoming my favorite brewery currently and this does nothing to tarnish that. Pours cleanly into a mug, big fluffy head that sticks around 'till the end. Color is a deep devilish red, great color for the name. The taste is out of this world. The hops aren't overwhelming but definitely contains notes of grapefruit and thick grass. Bit of a bite on the tongue, whether that is the alcohol or not it doesn't detract from the taste. Couldn't recommend this beer more.

4.72/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

How the consensus on this beer is only "good," is beyond me. This beer is tremendous, and well worth seeking out. Beautifully clear, reddish in color, appropriately pleasant smell, and perfectly blended taste and abv. Just killer.

4.71/5  rDev +19.8%

I had Founder's Double Trouble last night. Overall I think that this is a better beer.

Look: No head, but at 12.0% ABV what do you expect? It is darker than the Double Trouble, I think there may be a different grain composition.

Smell: Sweet, just like Double Trouble. Though the hops come through a bit more. I sense orange blossoms and citrus smells.

Taste: Very sweet for an IPA. Has more of a caramel flavor compared to the Double Trouble. Darker flavor profile. Hops are not as piney as the Double Trouble. I would say its more orange blossom like it smells, citrus, and a touch of the piney flavors. Very pleasant.

Feel: Like most well-done high ABV beers, it is deceiving. Just a touch touch sticky-sweet, but I like it. Of course it has a little burn.

Overall: Awesome Triple IPA. I like this more than the Double Trouble. Seems like I am in a minority.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

a- dark amber, slight haze, deep and burnished orange with red highlights... very little head dissipating to the slightest ringing

n- a bit alcoholic and fruity in a chemical sort of way with tropical and caramel/butterscotch tones

t- pure wow... earty, piney, fruity, and full bodied... woody and resinous, vanilla, cedar, and fig... caramel, butterscotch, and molasses a bit floral and yeasty with a bright citrus twang

m- full bodied and heavy on the palete, reminds me of swimming in heavy water... this is a beer that pulls you in

d- it took me more then an hour to finish, the weigh and depth tickling my brain... i could drink this beer until my eyes closed... absolutely dreamy!

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

A - Coppery red with a very thin eggshell head.

S - Sweet caramel malt dominates the nose. Some piny hops in the background.

T - Oh wow. The malt and hops mix so well it's amazing. Caramel and piny, citrus. There's a wonderful bitter hop punch in the finish. This is just a fantastic beer.

M - Outstandingly syrupy and sticky. Not much in carbonation but I wouldn't expect that out of such a big beer.

D - I would never have thought that this was 12%. It goes down way too smooth.

I've had this aged and it is amazing. Fresh is just as good. This beer holds a special place in my heart. Well worth the price tag and I will be getting another 4.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma of very ripe ruby red grapefruit.
THis is deep red with hints of brown. Very slick and thick looking. there is little head, but it seems like it would have needed to work pretty hard to form one from this liquid.
The hop barrage here is bitter from the get go. But, also, super fruity. Muskmelon is a big one. Pear, apricot, rhubarb, tangelo, dried plums, ashes, and assorted spice all contribute to what my tongue sees. The alcohol is a bit hot, but I read the 13% on the bottle so was prepared.
Mouthfeel is surprisingly alive and more refreshing than anticipated.
this drinks like a hop-bomb barleywine. But really, where is the line between American barleywine and triple IPA? Not my call to make. But if I see this anytime, anywhere, I'm getting it.
Thanks to MoeSizlak for sharing one of these.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%

Pours out a nice amber hue.

The smell is sweet and sticky. Some pine, resin, and citrus.

The taste goes down with big sticky hops and a smooth, crisp, and bitter finish. The 12% booze is there but blended really well to make it really well balanced. No sloppiness here like some booze bombs. Really pleasant and satisfying.

12oz bottle poured into snifter

Pours a beautiful cloudy sunset orange with a reddish tint. Features a thick frothy light tan head that took a good while to disappear and leaves wonderful lacing.

Has an overwhelming aroma of various hops. The smell is so strong that it nearly fills up the whole room. With the incredible number of hops there is still a bit of caramel malt present.

The first thing I notice in tasting this beer is the amount of caramel malt which is rather high given this is a triple IPA. Now that does not mean the hops are less than they should be as they carry from start to finish in a sip.

Medium body from the ABV which is in no way surprising at 12%.

This beer is nearly flawless and wonderful. Likely worth the high price tag if you enjoy plenty of hops.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass. Bottle reads 06/02/11 as the date bottled, this one is fresh.

A- Yields a 1 finger off-white head on a normal pour. The head lingers for a few minutes then dissipates into a thin ring, though it revives to a thin layer with a quick swirl or two of the glass. Not much lacing to speak of. Deep amber copper-like color with good clarity.

S- Wow. This smells great. The nose is very hop-forward, with a dank citrus and pine aroma dominating with a floral hop backing. The malt is there, but it is masked by the excessive hop odors coming off this one. As it warms I can smell the warmth of the alcohol as well.

T- Here is where this beer shines. The taste starts out with a sharp grapefruit hop bitterness that develops into an almost grassy flavor with a sharp bite of sweetness from the malt before finishing dry with a lingering pleasant hop bitter taste. No shortage of hops here.

M- My mouth still tingles with the bitterness from the last sip. It has a slightly sticky mouthfeel that is permeated with resinous hop bitterness that coats the tongue. Medium amount carbonation adds to the splendor. Warmth from the high ABV is present and it feels good on the way down.

O- I am glad to have found this sold as a single from Tippin's Market in Ann Arbor. The price is kinda steep, but hey this is a Triple IPA and $5.75 is less than I paid for some other bottles of premium IPAs (Brewdog/Mikkeller) I will probably buy this again while it is in season. All around an excellent brew.

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange red color with a cream colored head that is leaving nice lacing and sticking around nicely.

S: I could smell this beer all day. Grapefruit hoppyness, a syrupy sweetness, and just a touch of alcohol in the nose.

T: Tastes like a ripe sweet ruby red grapefruit and caramel. Not too sweet and not too bitter. A taste of strawberry jam as the beer warms in my mouth.

M: Mouthfeel is creamy and full; very enjoyable.

D: This beer is very well balanced for a 12% abv TIPA. Incredibly drinkable.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Devil Dancer opens with almost exactly the kind of aroma that one could expect from a triple IPA: bursting with hops, bringing swaths of pine resin, grapefruit rind, and dandelion stem, and a nice supporting citrus blend of pink grapefruit and lemon, as well as touches of mint and eucalyptus. In addition, the beer sports a full range of sugars, including orange liqueurs, berry and nectarine fruit esters, and shovelfuls of sticky brown sugars. And all this lies atop a frame of biscuit and toast crust, though the bready notes are admittedly hard to locate against the sugar and hop blast. As a whole, the nose is excellent, being nicely balanced between bitter and sweet, with just enough of each aroma to nicely play off of the next one. A touch more bread would have been nice, as the sugary notes do lend the beer a candy-like overtone.

On the tongue, the beer blasts away with all of the expected palate-wrecking bitterness brought by 112 IBUs: huge intercontinental ballistic pine resin and dandelion stem hop missiles shred the taste buds, with only slightly smaller grapefruit rind and eucalyptus SCUDs removing virtually all that is left. Against this massive bitter blast other notes are rather difficult to locate, but there is still a good bit of lemon and mint from the hops, as well as orange, berry, and nectarine fruits, and plenty of brown sugars. Only a slight rim of bread and toast crust translates to the tongue, the rest lost against the hop onslaught. Subsequent sips reveal a slightly larger candy sugar base, with increasing orange liqueur and berry flavors. The 12% ABV does leave a heavy fog of alcohol vapors in the mouth and nasal cavities, but this blends well with the sugars and hops, much like a good cocktail. The aftertaste is, no surprise, mainly hops, with lingering sugars and toast crust, and sticks to the tongue for a long time. Mouthfeel is a thick, sticky, oily medium to medium-heavy, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is excellent fare, and while the overpowering nature of the hops will make this undrinkable to anyone who can’t even take a simpler IPA, it should definitely be on the list for any serious hophead. The hops in here are well chosen to present a variety of flavors, and balanced slightly toward the more bitter of those flavors, but with just enough citrus left to prevent the drinker from feeling like they’re chewing on pine sap. Simultaneously, the huge sugars in here play nicely off of the hops, bursting on the tongue in sweet goodness. In fact, it’s hard to imagine more flavor being crammed into a bottle. A must-try.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

appearance: A slightly hazy peach with a big foamy head that recedes fairly quickly. No surprise with a 12%'er. Beautiful.
smell: Oh man, this Dancer smells more like a buttery barleywine or an old ale, but there's definitely a muscle bound IPA in there too. So this is a TIPA? I want more.
taste: Damn...ok the muscle bound IPA makes it's move, a haymaker to the kisser. In a good way.
mouthfeel: velveteey cream. A can't imagine a more luxurious way to deliver an explosion.
drinkability: Amazingly drinkable for a beer that is far more subtle as you can get....well I guess there are more radical beers, but this is so unique at least in my experience, a high class barleywine and a hop bomb that somehow works together.
Can Founders make a bad beer?

July 7 2012
Back to previous glory. The 2011 I drank fresh was awful. Thought I had a bottle infected with garlic and onions until I saw similar responses from many ba'ers. To be fair it settled down and was a fine beer after a few months. This year is great fresh.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

The beer pours a rusted orange/amber hue with a thin tan head. There is no lacing to speak of during the beer. The nose on this beer is about as complex as you will find in a beer. I think this smells more like a barleywine than an IIPA. The heaviest scents include the very rich maltiness with heavy tropical fruit, resinous pine, and sweet caramel. There is also a cognac like booze smell coming from this beer. Each time I put my nose into it I get something new! The nose is really well done on this one. The flavor profile is equally as intense. For an IIPA the taste is more malt based on this beer. The malt is the heavy hitter here with flavors of caramel and brown sugar and rum soaked raisins. The hop profile comes in after a few seconds but plays second to the malt profile. The hop profile tastes of fresh grapefruit rind and sticky pine. There is some sharp alcohol flavor as well, but in no ways takes away from this beer but adds another unique quality to this beer. This beer will challenge your palate. I don't think this beer crosses the "boozy" line on the mouthfeel, but I personally don't mind the alcohol on the mouthfeel. This beer is full-bodied and has a velvety texture. I will stop praising this beer when it comes to drinkability though. At 13% you wouldn't last very long with many of these. I had one 12 ounce bottle and that was enough for me for a while.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

As a personal rule of thumb, I make it a fact to NEVER review beers twice. That rule is now broken.

A: Dense and thick reddish orange color with a storm of haze brewing inside the glass. Immature foamy head is a mask for what lays below. An odd sediment appears in the bottom of the glass, a quality that I didn't see in my first review. Looks like fruit flies passed over the glass and were inebriated with the sheer power and density beneath them, and plunged to their pleasurable and enjoyable deaths.

S: Hops. A plethora of citrus hell and overpopulated pine. Wow. Must experience to properly know what I'm describing. Nearly 4th dementional.

T: Heavy alcohol. Heavier hops. A strong sweet citrus quickly gives way to a powerful note of bitterness and baseline malt. The palate is nearly overwhelmed. Sweetness, bitterness, alcohol, warmth. It's the devil's pleasure in a brown glass bottle.

M: Dense. Thick. Neary syrupy. A smoothing quality allows this beer to be drank far to easily. This brew truely beckons the drinker to go for more. A dangerous wager...

D: Far too good. I'd have another immediately if it weren't for my 12 step "beat the hops" program. Truely satisfies all cravings for hops, IPA's and DIPA's, and extreme beer nuts all in one serving. This is the end all be all for those looking for hops. This beer is to hop heads what cocaine and heroin mixed is to Nikki Sixx from Motley Crue. Heaven. Hell. Call it what you will. This creation is beyond words.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a nice burnt copper, almost red, it is clear with a small amount of small steady bubbles. About one finger of off white head, falls to a ring with some spotty lacing.

It has the aroma of the forbidden fruit. I smell citrus, pine, and a candy like sweetness, it reminds me of a orange scone. The aromas tickle my nose and beg me to have a dance.

The flavors follow the nose with a peppery bite. The balance between hops and malt are artfully done.

The mouthfeel is warm. There is the right amount of body and carbonation to support the big flavors. The alcohol goes unnoticed, untill I stood up.

Beware when you dance with the devil; her kiss is warm, intoxicating, and addictive.

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pour - Beautiful coppery brown color that is unbelievably inviting with a 2" head
S. Carmel, fruits hits you from the poor
M. Thick more so than most imperials you will see it on the pour
T. Damn its good, very smooth, doesn't taste like 12% and I cant believe its 112ibu

Overall; DONT BELIEVE THE BAD REVIEWS. I almost didn't buy this because of some of the reviews glad I bought it and yes its worth the price$. That said, this is not for everyone this is a Kickass IPA, if you want hops, ABV and dig the 2x and triples get it while you can!

VERDICT: B,T OR P

BUY IT

Dont hesitate to buy this! I'm going back for more

4.67/5  rDev +18.8%

2011 Devil Dancer, bottled on 6/2/11 so it is exactly one month old. I haven't been on the scene a full year so this is really my first crack at getting Devil Dancer. I have been looking forward to this one for a while and I was lucky enough to score two bottles today at my local beer shop.

I poured the 12oz bottle into my DHF snifter glass to find a nice amber colored body with little white head that left a little lacing. Now I have to talk about the aroma and taste combined for a minute here. One could say that say the aroma and taste fall along the lines of wet pine. I am going to take it a step further and say that both the aroma and taste seriously remind me of weed.

The taste just blew my mind. I was expecting this super strong wave of bitterness to take over my mouth and make this drink unbearable. I had the exact opposite experience, this beer was strong yet a pure joy to drink. It completely destroys your pallet (in a good way) leaving you to only want to drink more and more to try to get back to that explosion of your first taste.

Lets not forget about the alcohol either, its listed at 12% and how accurate that statement is can be debated (living here in Ohio with the current 12% cap I think the number is fudged to get it here in the state :) ) You notice a bit of the alcohol in the aroma and the taste but its not as dominating as I feared it would be. In fact its balanced in very well, its not hidden by any means but its the perfect balance with the carbonation and flavors.

I can't say enough great things about this beer, it completely blew me away and I enjoyed it to the last drop. I am very close to saying that this is the best IPA I have ever had but I'm not there yet. When it comes time to drink the second bottle I am going to grab my headphones and but on The Grateful Dead's "Friend Of The Devil" because this beer is defiantly a friend of mine!

Now the challenge is to find more or wait until next July!

4.66/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a deep brown with some amber. Good head on top for this ABV. Webbed lacing - really complex.

S: Over the top hops. Very piney.

T: Hop bomb. So bitter it's sweet. Obvious malting bringing a nice sweetening.

M: ABV hidden well. Medium to heavy.

O: Outstanding brew. Hope to see this one again.

From notes (on tap at Capone's Black Friday 2010):

A: A very nice rusty, dark orange with a egg-white head.

S: Like pine extract. A bit of malt sweetness on the nose, but the beer smells downright sticky - remarkable stuff, really.

T: The taste of this beer, like most Founders brews, is an achievement that should be studied by other brewers. I would like someone at Founders to explain to me how they can make the taste begin so bitter, with almost harsh notes of pine, lemon rind, and grapefruit. The middle of the taste invites a toffee sweetness to the party that just makes things more complex, but the end of the taste is a creamsickle-y vanilla smoothness that absolutely astounds me every time I take a sip. If Good Humor made hop flavored creamsickles (rather than orange, or whathaveyou), this would be the liquid equivalent.

M: Lovely carbonation, though I suppose it is quite bitter.

D: A great sipper, because the bitterness is always well taken care of by the end of the taste and invites you to take another.

Marry me, Devil Dancer.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. The liquid is a dark caramel, with nice carbonation, The head is outstanding! 2 big thick fingers of Carmel fluffy goodness Very thick and slow to fade. Leavening a very nice lace.

The Smell is sharp pine blast followed by a Big Malty Body.

The taste is just that, yes the typical hopy notes but this beer is not a faddy soda pop. This is a Big Malt Beverage, so big is cover perfectly a huge alcohol presents. Yes this beer delivers, on ageing required.

The mouthfeel is great, big full body, I want of eat it with a fork buy will like out the glass to get every drop of goodness.

The drinkability is Top Shelf, this is an expertly put together beer. Prosit und Zum Wohl. MK

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer poured a clear red into my pint glass, and had under a half finger head. The alcohol must be restraining the head, I suppose.

Aroma was citrus and pine hops, very intense. There were also hints of caramel over a slightly sweet malt core. But the hops took center stage.

Taste was INTENSE citrus hops, some caramel malts, and a light roasted character that disappeared after the first couple of sips. This was one VERY flavorful beer.

Mouthfeel was syrupy, chewy, and it coated the tongue well. Damn, this was one full-bodied brew. But I SWEAR it did not taste like it was 13%.

Drinkability I have to put way up there... although I couldn't drink this beer too fast, I can easily see myself pacing two or three out over an entire night and not getting sick of it.

I think "Triple IPA" is a bit much... but very easily a double. And I am not going to get drawn into the Double IPA/Barleywine debate.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Bottle received in trade. Good gracious this is fantastic! Pours thick with a dark orange-amber burst color. The flavor is huge and complex. Alot of stuff going on here; malts, hops, tropical fruit. For 13%, it's well hidden. I love my strong IPA's and this is up there with the best I have had, simply and utterly fantastic! Crap I wish Founders was available in this area, I'd certainly be a regular supporter.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

This is my first beer review and I must say this is quite the beer to be the first. So here we go and bear with me:

A- This is a very nice golden color. There wasn't much of a head when poured, but still got some and it was a gentle pour.

S- You can smell the hops right up from almost like grapefruit and citrus, but not overbearing that the malt flavor can come through as well. And on the end you get a slight hint of alcohol.

T- This is what made me give it the rating I did. It was so nice to drink this. I got the bitterness that I love, but it wasn't a bad bitterness and it was balance very well with the malt. You can taste a bit of alcohol on the back end, but I like this if done right.

M- At first I gave it a 5, but after drinking more my mouth started to get that bitter after taste which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This was my only dig on the mouth feel other than that I would have given it a 5, but it gets a 4.

O- Overall, this is a great beer and I can't wait to get my hands on some more. I got two and stuck one in the cellar to see what it taste like after a year. It was bottled in June so this will be nice to have on a hot summer day this coming summer.

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Finally, Devil Dancer on tap at Capones in Norristown. Nice an fresh too! Poured into a snifter glass.

A: A clear dark orange and almost light brown color with a minimal slight white head. No glass lacing.

S: Wow, just popping with earthy piney hops. Some slight citrus on the nose and a deep sweet bready caramel malt. This is a hop bomb waiting to happen.

T: Hops assault the tongue immediately. Huge hop flavors of pine, earth, a bit of floral tones and a bit of citrus. The bitterness jumps in right away. The huge caramel malt tries to subdue the hops but they have no part in this. The massive bitter hops dominate the end and finish with a punching blow to the mouth. Wow, this beer if freaking incredible from tap when fresh. Bitterness pounds the mouth long after the beer is gone. Wow, just wow.

M: Full, massive, prickly, sweet, bitter. Did I say bitter? Yes! Alcohol is very noticeable but not overly intrusive. Crazy good.

D: For 12%? Insanely good. Get this straight though, this is a beer to be enjoyed over a good period of time, not a beer to pound down.

Overall I can't believe the difference in this beer from tap (fresh) to bottle. The tap version just pops so much more with flavor and raw hops bitterness. The beer is crazy good and I have become even a bigger fan of it. I am still shaking my head as to how good this was. If you like it from bottle, I beg of you to get it on tap. Incredible. Mindblowing.

I bow to Founders once again.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company