Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Ratings: 5,048 |  Reviews: 1,486

1.12/5  rDev -71.5%

Shared 2 bottles with a friend on two separate occasions.

Poured a nice golden amber into a snifter. Very attractive beer with nice head that did not hang around too long.

Smell, well this is where it went downhill for me. It smelled like a mix between mildew, old garbage and a skunk.

The taste resembles the smells listed above. It tasted like a skunk smells.

Overall I thought this beer was one of the worst beer experiences of my life. I know that it is best fresh and that the hops fade with time. However, with this one the hop pressense was still there, it just tasted awful. Not sure really why it tasted so bad.

1.25/5  rDev -68.2%

1.41/5  rDev -64.1%

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep, clear copper with about one finger of off white head that does not last. Leaves a wisp of foam and some lacing.

Aromas of minty, citric, grassy, and earthy hops. Some malt sweetness, but this is mostly hops. As it warms, some garlic and oniony notes come through. Uh Oh. Summit.

Flavors of... wow. This definitely has summit hops. I hate summit hops. Garlicy, oniony flavors dominate. I can't taste anything but garlic and onions. Not pleasant. This really pisses me off. I guess I should have researched this beer first.

Mouthfeel, I'm sorry, but I can't get past the summit hops.

Overall, this is not to my liking. I know they put a lot of effort into this and some people really like it. But this is one of the worst beers I've tasted in a long time. If you don't like summit, avoid this beer.

1.46/5  rDev -62.8%

Off the bat: I love Founders. Pretty much everything they do has been just dandy with me.

But ... What *exactly* is this beer supposed to be? I'm not keen on high abv brews, so that skewed my taste buds right from the very start.

I can't even pinpoint why I dislike this beer so much. It reminds me of carbonated DayQuil or something along the lines of a cheap bum wine.

Mouth feel is horrible. Grips the tongue and won't let go. Greasy, slick, relentless.

My first and only drain-pour from Founders.

1.48/5  rDev -62.3%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

The beer pours a murky red, with a thick head.

The aroma is of marijuana: pungent, musky, earthy, and fungal. The aroma is strong, and potent. If someone decided to make a pot beer, this is what it would smell like.

The taste is obliterated by the aroma. It's strong, pungent, vaguely unpleasant, and I can't pick out any specifics because the smell is completely clouding my taste perception. The whole time, I'm thinking "is this what a pot beer tastes like?" Regardless, this is one of the worst beers I've ever tasted.

Overall, I think this beer is terrible. It smells like weed, it tastes vaguely foul, kind of how I imagine a pot beer would taste. My taste buds are generally in-sync with the Founders brewers, and I tend to really like their beer, but this brew is awful. I'm going to cellar the other bottle and hope that age managed to work some miracle and redeem this concoction.

1.64/5  rDev -58.3%

Founders Devil Dancer

For whatever reason I've wanted this beer for quite some time. Usually higher abv ipas do me pretty well. At $7 a single this shit better be good or I'm gonna take a dump on the store owners doorstep and maybe light it on fire. Anyway, enough of my lacking creativity, I just don't care much for writing reviews anymore. But, here goes.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep, dark ruby with a monster slightly off white head that takes up a majority of the glass. The head is exceptionally bubbly and starts leaving stick the second it starts dying down from the top of the glass. Not seeing any noticable carbonation. Clarity is moderate.

Smell - Satan blessed onion from the depths of oniony hell does this thing smell like a fucking onion that was satan blessed and from the depths of oniony hell. This is the most oniony forward nose I have ever gotten out of a beer. As I've gone on, I know it isn't really onions, instead smells like some super dirty hops pulled straight from the ground. Whew.

Taste - The onions never end. Holy fucking shit does this thing taste like onions. I wouldnt mind if they were deep fried and ringed, but wow this is some dank ass onion death. Onion in the front, onion in the back, onion in the middle, and onion up the ass. I guess...I guess it tastes like biting into a raw onion...is what I'm trying to get to here.

Feel - The body is very light and highly creamy due to the well retained head. Sits nicely though it once again tastes like eating a raw onion pulled fresh from the dirt. Can I be done with this beer yet?.

Overall - It was like being in a horror movie. This beer is terrible. Founders is my second favorite brewery but I mean...what the fuck is this even supposed to be? Maybe it was old, maybe it was this, maybe it was that, but overall the worst $7 i've ever spent on a single bottle of beer. PASS.

1.75/5  rDev -55.5%

1.81/5  rDev -53.9%

1.83/5  rDev -53.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. A generous extra from Alen. Thanks man!

A: Pours a murky, unfiltered amber color with an inch of off-white head and fairly short retention. The remnant is a collar around the brew, which leaves register marks as I sip.

S: Way better than last year's, which was very solventy (at least the bottle that I had was). Caramel, toffee: sweet dark crystal malts remind me of a barleywine. It's still hoppy, with a nice grapefruit aroma, some herbs and grass. It also seems to have some English hops in there; I'd recognize that stale, sweaty towel aroma anywhere.

T: A citrus salad of pineapple, orange, tangerine, and lemon. A pine and grassy herbal note are found in the mid-taste, giving way to old towel hops in the finish. There is an undercurrent of toffee throughout with some caramel, reminding me of a barleywine -- but the hops definitely dominate. A drying finish (could just be the alcohol burn) with some lingering resiny bitterness and chalk.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied. While the ABV is not burning, you definitely feel its warmth, and it forces you to slow down. The carbonation is moderate, and it cleanses the palate decently well. Points off for the chalky aftertaste though.

D: I told myself last year that I should try it again before writing it off for good. I did, and I have. I don't know what people like about this beer, but it's not for me.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company