Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Reviews: 1,475 | Ratings: 4,999
4.62/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12oz bottle born on 6/18/12 into a big snifter.

Appearance: a slightly hazy light amber deep golden color with a thin film of white head that leaves little traces of lacing.

Smells: a heavy earthy hop note. I pick out a pine and grassy like hops that have a scent on some alcohol.

Tastes: A huge spicy bitter hop kick. There is a sweet amber like malt that comes through in the middle, but there is a pleasant pungent earth like hop punch that lasts to the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: I pick up the higher Abv. but the intense hop bill bites just as much as the burn and both are very unique and enjoyable.

Overall: I have to say I love Double Trouble, but this brew is complex and yummy. I paid just under $6 for a 12 oz bottle of this and believe it was worth every last cent, thankful I grabbed a few.

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer reminds me of a homebrew I did a while back, where I boiled too much water off and ended up with a highly condensed IPA (which already had aggressive hopping). The aroma and flavor are dominated by a sherry, alcoholic, malty backbone. The hops are over indulged: the effect is an amorphous bitterness which obscures any of the underlying hop complexity. Overall not a bad beer but a little overdone.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

wow. triple IPA is a perfect description. This is a big beer.

looks light orange. white foamy head. not that much head. too much flavor to be released in bubbles, right?

smell is the citrusy piney vibe I would expect. nothing less. not overwhelming, but appropriate.

taste is pungent hops, intense, thick (yes, even the taste is thick). as advertised. nothing other than what you'd expect. but what you'd expect in spades. Citrus pine sap concentrate with some carbonation and heavy malts to "balance." Directions should say "just add water" if you wanted something more reasonable. But who buys a Triple IPA (Founders style) hoping for something reasonable? Not I.

very full, think mouthfeel ,complements the taste.

everything I thought it should be. barleywine style IPA that packs a TON of flavor. Over the top, but it works for those seeking the flavors present here. Good luck drinking more than one at a time.

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

Appearance: Deep orange/amber, slightly cloudy, with a foamy light tan head

Smell: Sweet and malty

Taste: Not much to it... Flavor is similar to a barley wine. It's complex, malty, and grainy.

Mouthfeel: A bit thick. You can definitely taste the alcohol throughout the beer. It has a lingering bitter finish.

Drinkability: Not one of Founder's strongest, but definitely sippable. I would prefer a triple IPA to have more hop character..

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Pours a dark copper with a fine white head leaves a crinkly white lace as I consume the beer. The beer smells of thick hops, piney, green & resinous. Also, there sneaks in some caramel malt notes. The beer is smooth across the tongue with lots of malt viscosity. Then the hops kick in, grassy and fresh hay like green meadows, then moving to darker, woodsy pine hops that stick to your gums and teeth. The hops stick around well after the beer is down the gullet leaving a resinous and dry tart feeling in th emouth. This beer is big, and packs a wallop. A bottle full of tasty beer, can't see me putting away more that 1 of these in an evening though.

4.14/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer was darker than I expected. There was not much of a head, but it is a nice, clear, copper color.

The aroma is amazing. Lots of sweet, sweet hops. Mostly floral.

The taste is very hoppy and very malty. Not real bitter, just a lot of hops. Finish is dry and slightly bitter. Well balanced right on the edge, one false move either way and this thing would be undrinkable.

(Already burping up hops after a few sips.)

For what it is, the drinkability is good. But I would suggest splitting the first bottle with someone before opening one up alone.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

MANY thanks to Gaisgeil for this in a great BiF box!

Pours a slightly golden red, slightly hazy, and no head. Not surprising considering the ABV on this beast.

Smell is rich, malty and full of caramel, with a pop of grapefruit.

Taste is *intensely* hoppy. They weren't kidding when they labeled this as a "Triple IPA." Grapefruit just absolutely dominates from start to finish, with a hint of bourbon, raisins, and grapes that wash in just after the initial blast of citrus bite, and fade out to pine and more grapefruit.

As much as the alcohol works to thin the mouthfeel, this bad boy has a large bite, and just destroys your tastebuds with bitter. Definitely my style of beer!

Basically a condensate of essence of IPA extract. You might even need to split a 12oz bottle. But man, I'm keeping this one all to myself.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz into snifter

A: Pours a brilliant deep orange/red color. Almost non-existent head, with a faint ring of lace around the edges. As strange as it sounds, it looks almost like a tawny port.

S: It smells very sweet. Much sweeter than I would have thought for this beer. Definite notes of sticky molasses. There are some resinous hop aromas, but not nearly as many as I would've expected from a beer that boasts "Triple IPA" status.

T: Surprisingly malty. The dominant flavors are molasses and a pumpkin-ish sweetness that I've noticed in barleywines. Maybe a little orange rind action in there for good measure. It's fairly tasty, and it's almost scary how well that 13% ABV is hidden in there. It doesn't taste a bit over 8%. But what I really want to know is: where are the hops?! The only hop taste I'm getting is some bittering hops on the finish.

M: Almost still. The nearly complete absence of carbonation is sort of a relief, considering the ABV. It's thick, it's sticky, it's still.

D: Considering this has three times as much alcohol in it as some beers on the market, the drinkability is the one area in which Devil Dancer really excels.

I was expecting a hop-bomb. This hardly fits that description. It's not a bad beer by any stretch, but I think I would like it better if it were called a barleywine, rather than a "triple IPA." I mean hell, it isn't even a single IPA, let alone a double or triple.

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into snifter

Pours a beautiful cloudy sunset orange with a reddish tint. Features a thick frothy light tan head that took a good while to disappear and leaves wonderful lacing.

Has an overwhelming aroma of various hops. The smell is so strong that it nearly fills up the whole room. With the incredible number of hops there is still a bit of caramel malt present.

The first thing I notice in tasting this beer is the amount of caramel malt which is rather high given this is a triple IPA. Now that does not mean the hops are less than they should be as they carry from start to finish in a sip.

Medium body from the ABV which is in no way surprising at 12%.

This beer is nearly flawless and wonderful. Likely worth the high price tag if you enjoy plenty of hops.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass

A - light ruby orange, slightly hazy; small off white head, bit of long strands of lac

S - caramel, vanilla mixed with broiled/brown sugar coated grapefruit

T - malt heavy up front much like a DIPA but with the dry, crisp, yeasty-ness of a triple, dryness continues but it is from strong hop presence, bitter aftertaste - piney, citrusy

M - medium bodied, good carbonation that keeps a tiny ring of head fed, a bit sticky

D - interesting combo, alcohol is never hot or overrides any of the flavor, more felt in the chest, takes belgian style ipas to another and might i say better level

4.4/5  rDev +12%

DO NOT DRINK THIS BEER IF YOU'RE NOT READY FOR IT. Ok now that I got that out of the way, Founders Devil Dancer is a very heavy, very hoppy, very delicious beer. But if you're going to eat or drink anything else in the same night as Devil Dancer, make sure you have Devil Dancer last. It will fry your taste-buds for hours. This is one of the hoppiest beers I've ever had and that says alot if you know me. I like the hops.
Alright down to the details, Devil Dancer poured a slightly hazy reddish-amber with very little head. There was not a very complex portfolio of flavors because the spicy hops flavor smacks you in the face. If anything I tasted some pepper but that faint due to the overwhelming hops.

Recommendation: I'd suggest that you don't try this beer until you are about 3 years into your craft beer experience. It's just too hoppy and sampling this earlier in your beer career might scare you away from craft beer. This is a good beer for a once a year sampling and 8oz. may have been a bit too much. If you happen to have a bottle of this I'd split it between at least 2 people.

2.45/5  rDev -37.7%

$7 for 8oz at midway pub. served in a tulip. Tasted on 2/23/12. Here is what I wrote down while reviewing this at my table:

a- reddish amber color, little head, specks of lacing.

s- like a barley wine almost, with malts/vanilla-y scents and dark fruit...but weird...there's weird garlic smells. i'm not sure about this beer.

t- cherries, some wine. slightly hoppy. very boozy. what made me really dislike this beer is that it tastes slightly meaty, like sausages, and straight up onion soup. not pleasant. at all. awful.

m: med-carb med-full body, a bit cloying/syrupy.

o- i was really excited to try this, but i wish had saved myself the $7 and gotten something else. I'm not sure what went wrong here. i'd be afraid to try this again

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Garnet and slightly hazy. Thick two finger head that slowly recedes to a ring with islands of foam. Good lacing patterns. Very impressive for a beer of this ABV.

Aroma is a strong mix of grass, floral, citrus, malt, and dark fruit. A slight hint of alcohol.

The taste is citrus, faint sweetness, floral, slightly fruity, some bitterness. Aftertaste is lingering bitterness and slightly drying.

Very thick and creamy.

Almost too drinkable. I don't think I could have another right now. but I'd like another tomorrow.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%

Very dark ruby, decent head sitting on top. Leaves some nice lacing on the way down.

The smell is pretty one dimensional. I suppose that its intentional since its a triple IPA. This is 90% citrus and 10% pine. Awesome for the hophead inside of me.

Oh man, this is powerful. Its so strong! The bitterness makes my face pucker. This is what a triple IPA should be in my mind. The alcohol makes it pretty rough on the palate too. I wouldn't say that this is average by any means, but the this is such a bomb on my tongue I can't rate it higher than I did.

Feels very sticky and super dry on the tongue. I could only drink one of these because during the night since it kinda ruined my taste buds. Insane beer though.

4.52/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A very beautiful copper color, with a 1 finger head right off the bat. Goes away after first drink. Definitely some lacing on this beer. Looks great in the glass!

S: THANK YOU FOUNDERS. Finally I found a beer that just hits me in the face with extreme hops. Hops, hops, and more hops. A good mix too, not overly citrus and not overly floral. Perfect.

T: Goes with the smell, a bunch of hops right up front and to the back. You get a small but good backbone of malt but a very very good hop taste to this beer.

M: Goes down pretty smooth, although you get hit with the alcohol at the end. The only reason I docked this is because the alcohol on the tongue and throat. But its 12% what you do expect.

4.74/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark for an India Pale! This got me excited. Then the smell got me excited - smells like some of the best IPAs I've had... Pliny, Double Jack... this one's up there. The taste meets and/or exceeds expectations. Maybe a little on the sweeter side, but if that were adjusted more to my taste she'd be getting a perfect 5. Can't be just handing those out to anyone. Still can't believe this beer doesn't score higher. Very creamy mouthfeel with a tickling carb. Awesome brew. Try it if you get the chance.

4.19/5  rDev +6.6%

Served my ice cold TIPA in a tulip glass.

A - Hazy orange / amber glow, with the slightest white head dissipating quickly.

S- Not overpowering here: Caramel, pine, citrus scent (mainly orange)

T- Wow! This a malt & hop bomb! Almost a barrel-aged quality. First hit by fresh and tasty hops, followed by delicious malts (caramel & honey notes) and ending in a bitter dryness. As it warms, similar to a dark ale/ stout, the flavors become more prevalent. Tastes more malty and sweet than Curmudgeon w/ the freshness of hops. No alcohol present for me- very well hidden!

M- Thick, almost syrupy, but not sticky. Very smooth indeed. Good carbonation for this style.

O- Incredible! This is a Founder's IPA here. Refreshing, yet a sipper. I enjoyed this much better than Double Trouble, due to the malt load. Impressive...relax and enjoy this one!!!

3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

The beer was had on tap and was a red beer with a white head. The aroma was very citrussy hoppiness with a hint of pineiness. Very hoppy with a bit of malt, too. You could definitely taste the Amarillo (or very similar) hops in there. I thought this beer was similar to Southern Tier IPA, but I'm really not sure it merits the "triple" label. I recognize that double and triple IPA's are a bit arbitrary but even so I expected a little more power, a little more hops and a bit more stickiness. However, an admirable beer on it's own, and was a tasty drink!

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

Bottle dated 6/5/11 poured into a Russian River Belgian glass

Poured a hazy dark orange color with a ring of white head that leaves surprising lacing.

Even at 7 months old, there is huge, juicy hop aroma. Lots of citrus, grapefruit, pine needle, and onion.

Taste is different from any IPA I've had. There are tons of spices here. Onion and garlic are as prominent as the citrus and grapefruit. Also, there is a serious caramel malt backbone that provides an odd balance given how strong the flavors are. Long lingering hop aftertaste mixed with alcohol.

Big chewy body that sticks to your tongue for what seems like forever.

I really hope I have the chance to try this fresh one day. Even with the age on it, I enjoyed the beer, although the taste still has me puzzled.

3.57/5  rDev -9.2%

I've been wanting to try Devil Dancer for quite some time, the beer was good, but not great. This 'triple' IPA poured a deep copperish red. I tried to get a decent head each pour but was left with sparce thin caps. Moderate lacing from such a sparce head. Smell was pungent sweetness and hot alcohol hops. Taste was a nice balance of caramel malt and piney resiny hops. The alcohol heat makes it hard to discern much of anything, but thats not a bad thing in my book. Mouthfeel was blasted to death by alcohol and hops. Perhaps the sweetness lasted too long. I drank two of these brews in a sitting and found it to be quite enough.

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

I was really excited when I found out this was going to be available in NJ, and even more excited when I got my hands on two bottles. I just had the feeling that this beer just wouldn't make it here any time soon. I kept it in the fridge to chill a bit, and opened at about 50 degrees and it warmed up as I was drinking.

I didn't even know Triple IPAs 'really' existed, but this is some damn bold American ass-kickin' ingenuity.

Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep ruby red, whose semi-opaque color dances and enhances in the light yielding some additional blood-orange hues . I was expecting a large, big fluffy head, however that wasn't the case. It was an eggshell white color, about 2 fingers thick and robust, which slowly dissipated and left some moderate lacing. The pour was as still as a morning, mountain like with carbonation not very evident.

As I eagerly cracked open the bottle, the nose was evident, which is always a great sign for me--because I swear I have the world's worst sense of smell. Big, bold hops were immediately evident, with a bit of light citrus and/or lemon-grass. The alcohol tinge in the nose alone foreshadowed that I'd be in for a after-dinner liqour-esque tasting.

Bam! I was slapped in the face with hops, but I loved it and it each sip led to more and more flavors being evident. I picked up a distinct grapefruit flavor, with hints of hoppy-pine. But all this was built on a massive foundation of oily, but sweet malts, which flirted with flavors of sweet caramel and even some smoky burnt brown sugar. None of the flavors overwhelm the other, and the balance is perfect and each minuet flavor is on fully display.

The beer is certainly a mouthful, but on a humid, hot summer day, the hop crispness was greatly appreciated and was incredibly drinkable for being a massive 12% ABV.

This has become my favorite IPA/DIPA/TIPA or whatever you want to call it. I am going to seek out more bottles immediately.

4.39/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from bottle to flute.

Appearance - Amber red, lots of brown. See through. 1 finger head that receded quickly and left no lacing.

Smell - This one has a hell of a nose. Tons of resiny citrus pine hops coming through. All kinds of hop varieties being smelled. Very nice fruity finish to the scent and cannot detect an ounce of alcohol.

Taste - Very fruity up front, bits of pear and apple, chased by tons of hop finish, just like it smells, pine, tangerine, orange and honey. Really really tasty, no alcohol detected. Really nice bitter bite to it.

Mouthfeel - Feels heavy and syrupy but its too be expected for a beer of its stature.

Drinkability - Decent for its abv but one a night will do it for me, this is a beer to savor.

Really great offering from Founders.

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

didnt quite know what to expect going into this brew, but here goes nothing.

a-pours hazy dark orange/amber. very little head is white and disappears quickly.

s-some caramel malt then taken over by huge bitter hops. something spicy and peppery at the end as well

t-intensely hoppy and bitter. pine, grapefruit, orange zest and some more of that odd pepper flavor. seems unbalanced, but i suppose thats what it is supposed to be. a bit boozy as well. definitely a slow sipper.

m-again, alcohol is present. slightly oily feel, but enough carbonation to balance it out.

overall, I guess it is what it is...an out of balance hop-bomb. would be interesting to see what it was like with some age on it. seems a bit hot now and I dont know if i would necessarily seek it out again, but tasty no less.

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%

A- very little head, not really much lacing, reddish orange color, semi-transparent
S- very floral, boozy and sweet smelling
T- a little bitter, and sweet tasting, its warm as it goes down
M- it feels a little light, unexpectedly
D-very strong, probably wouldn't have more than 2

A great beer, I wish it wasn't so expensive. I love DIPAs- but what makes this a triple IPA?

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a nice, ruddy, clear mix of brown, red, and caramel. The smell is very malty, and has a nose almost like a barleywine. It has a massive alcohol hit, and it's so smooth that it invites you to pound it, even though you know it's going to kick your ass. It says it's an IPA, but there's so much malt to get it to 12% that it totally dominates the hops. You don't get a bourbon -style alcohol burn, but it lets you know that it's a high ABV beer. It there going down, and if you swallow some air along with it, that alcohol gives a reminder on the way back up. This is not a summertime IPA (unless you plan on being unconscious as your summertime hobby). The depth of flavor allows it to pair with a lot of different foods.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company