Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Ratings: 5,042 |  Reviews: 1,485

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

Had a bottle (from my son for my birthday) and...WOW. Though the ABV is super high, it could not overpower the extreme delicious maltiness of this beauty. The hop finish was intense as well, but due to the tremendous malty beauty that this beer delivers in droves, the balance was awesome. Intense all the way around, it was definitely a party in the mouth experience, and one of my favorite beers ever. Thank you Founders, I look forward to sampling this beauty at your brewpub. Cheers :)

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle from the fridge, poured into standard pint glass.

First triple IPA, love Founders, so where better to start.

Lovely coloring, coppery red, clear, small head which retained well

smelled delicious too, hops to be sure, but some sweet maltiness as well

Taste was, in a word, BITTER! Very bitter indeed. Though oddly, to me, the bitterness did not stay on the tongue too long, and that makes it quite drinkable. Which can be dangerous for a 12.0.

Mouth was much thinner than you would think, and didn't really have much of the boozy taste associated with high abv's of other styles.

Overall, I can recommend trying this beer, though personally I doubt I will be out getting a 4-pack of it every week. It is a strange beer, taste-wise, but I'm certainly up for trying some other breweries offerings for comparison.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on-tap at One-Eyed Betty's in Ferndale, Michigan as part of a paddle. I've wanted to have Devil Dancer for awhile now, but I never wanted to pay full-price for a bottle, since I read it described as something I really didn't want to bother paying for.

Appearance: Copper. Basically no haze at all. A ring floats on top, but there's no actual head.. maybe quarter of a finger. Lacing is actually exceptional given the ABV of this beer.

Smell: Definitely a huge amount of hops. Not so much citrus, but just a lot of earthy, pine sorts of hops that really "dance" in your nostrils. Devil Dancer is definitely pungent, and it stood out among my sampler.

Taste/feel: Interesting. Weird. Unusual. I think there definitely has to be summit hops used in this one -- the flavor has that somewhat burning (thanks to the alcohol, no doubt) with the dirty/earthy onion sorts of flavors. If I were to drink a tea made of poison ivy, I imagine it tasting something like this.

Overall, a strange, strange beer. As many have said, it really is a pretty extreme beer that, to me, is distinctively Devil Dancer. It drinks pretty well and it tastes solid, but I don't think I'd pay whatever the cost is for a four-pack of this stuff. I tend to love Founders offerings, but I just like this one.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company