Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Ratings: 5,046 |  Reviews: 1,486

3.85/5  rDev -2%

eyes
it's the one that says bad mother f*r
light brown with an amber glow, the head rises to maybe one finger and then runs like gump... right out of the stadium, the ABV leaves legs for sure and the head that remains evaporates along the glass at a tremendous pace, it literally melts away in a fraction of a moment, carbonation is apparent but the bubbles are quite small, on a quick glance this reminds me of a british pub hand draft except I know the dragon that stirs underneath the seemingly calm exterior

nose...
candied hops, brown hops, caramel malt, raw alcohol, pine resin, orange peel, all mixed together... I can't say I love it, it has some nice character but I am not swooning

taste etc...
medium bodied, I was bracing for real harshness but this was not as crazy as some of the things I heard about this satanic jig, that said this is no walk in the park... the alcohol teeters on the edge of being too hot but just holds back before it pushes you off the cliff, this is not overly bitter to this mouth... considering the IBUs I suppose that is strange but there is enough of everything else to keep this from puckering up, each mouthful runs a full gamut, you get the sweet malt, the various bitter flavors (which seem to be on the sides of my tongue rather than the back), the carbonation is perfectly sublime.. a nice little prickly sensation, this is rather easy drinking considering the weight (and boy does it warm the stomach)

verdict?
damn tasty, maybe one bottle is a bit much... can this be a desert IPA ? or something along that line? the various differentiation in the bitter flavors is really interesting, a really nice beer. not something I would reach for often but something to perhaps have a bottle with friends once in a moon

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Founders Devil Dancer

Look - Poured into a Dogfish Head IPA glass this pours a clear ruby amber with a small soapy head, spotty lacing.

Smell - Sweet malt and deep citrus hops with a dash of alcohol, quite mouth watering here but you can tell it is going to be trouble.

Taste - A ballsy rich malt with a bitter piney and citrus (hyper bitter) hop resonation. Some alcohol is definitely detectable.

Mouthfeel - Sits bitter and boozy. Decent drinkability but I did not want another for sure. Medium-bodied and somewhat sticky. Throat hot boozy, super face hot boozy.

Overall - Not bad, a little boozy and there are hoppier "TIPAs" out there which I would likely reach for before choosing this one. Would still recommend though because it is a powerhouse.

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into Spiegelau IPA glass
A: 3.75 Dark copper/auburn color. Pours with little head that reduces quickly to a thin ring around the edge of the glass.
S: 4.0 Piney. Hops forward, not much else noticeable on the nose.
T: 3.75 For 12% this is very well balanced. Loads of hops with a good blend combo of malt and more hops.
M: 4.0 Smooth. Surprisingly high carb level for 12% - not too high, just surprised.
O: 3.75 When I think IPA, I don't think of pine. When I think DIPA, I lean more towards sweet, citrus, and stron malt bills. This is the first TIPA I've had, and I am pleasantly surprised overall at how dominant all of the characteristics are throughout the beer. Once my pallet was nicely destroyed I was able to pick up on the subleties that make this beer delicious.

***edit. I was able to enjoy this on tap on 7/22/13. I would rate on tap quite a bit higher than bottled. More of a well balanced blend vs pine forward on tap. Overall closer to 4.25.

Founders Devil Dancer from Founders Brewing Company