Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

Ratings: 5,048 |  Reviews: 1,486

3.84/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into Spiegelau IPA glass
A: 3.75 Dark copper/auburn color. Pours with little head that reduces quickly to a thin ring around the edge of the glass.
S: 4.0 Piney. Hops forward, not much else noticeable on the nose.
T: 3.75 For 12% this is very well balanced. Loads of hops with a good blend combo of malt and more hops.
M: 4.0 Smooth. Surprisingly high carb level for 12% - not too high, just surprised.
O: 3.75 When I think IPA, I don't think of pine. When I think DIPA, I lean more towards sweet, citrus, and stron malt bills. This is the first TIPA I've had, and I am pleasantly surprised overall at how dominant all of the characteristics are throughout the beer. Once my pallet was nicely destroyed I was able to pick up on the subleties that make this beer delicious.

***edit. I was able to enjoy this on tap on 7/22/13. I would rate on tap quite a bit higher than bottled. More of a well balanced blend vs pine forward on tap. Overall closer to 4.25.

3.47/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Just arrived at the store (Quality Liquors, Salem, MA) bottled in May. Served in a 14oz water goblet.

A - Pretty lively movement of foam considering there isn't much of a head. Reddish dark amber/maple syrup color. Filtered.

S - Alcohol and cough syrup with loads of piney hops.

T - Super bitter with a candy malt. Not sure this is what I was expecting but it grows on you for sure. Brown sugar and pine tar.

M - A bit thin, but for the alcohol content it holds it's own. Palate is pleasantly wrecked.

O - Not to many Triple IPAs out there so it's tough to judge based on style with a limited control group. Sugar in the beer allow the yeast to create loads of alcohol. Tries to seek balance on a super hoppy beer so it is very sweet and very bitter. Get past the bitterness and you can enjoy this sipper.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

bottle dated 5/30/2013. $21 and change for a 4-pack @ Manchester Beer and Wine.

A: a darker, amber color, pretty clear. A small white head but great lacing. A lot of legs which is a testament to the 12.0 ABV. Looks tasty to me.

s: Sweet, piney, a little citrus. The warmer it gets the more alcohol I get. Smells how i'd expect. Can't pick up on any specific hops.

t: extremely flavorful. The hops definitely linger on for several minutes. A similar profile to Hoptimum, except i like this more. the warmer it gets the more alcohol i get. I like the flavor profile. I don't get the aggressive summit hop profile people have suggested in past batches.

m: slick, like a barley wine.

I like this beer. I believe this beer is intended to be "unbalanced" to ensure the hops are front and center. Any maltier and i think this would taste more like an american strong ale. I like this beer and anyone with the balance sheet to afford it at $22 a 4-pack must try it. A great treat for the hop head in the best of us.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.74/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured a very nice dark orange to red grapefruit coloring with a reasonably thick bubbly head.

I get huge piney resin and floral scent here. No fruit to speak of but an underlining of malty, tea leaves.

I get alcohol, piney, floral alcohol. If you sip it slow it mitigates a piney, metallic alcohol taste but can't fight the burn. As I drink it slower, it begins to grow on me. The initial shock is gone and the taste is piney hops but it has a certain sweetness and a certain character.

This beer gives the feel of over the top, in your face, Bam...hops! It succeeds but the alcohol taste and burn ruins it a bit for me.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%