Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders Devil Dancer | Founders Brewing Company

Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer
3.9/5
Very Good
Founders Devil DancerFounders Devil Dancer

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Triple IPA. Dry-hopped for twenty-six days straight with a combination of 10 hop varieties. 112 actual IBU; although it calculates to over 200!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-17-2004

3.7

Ratings: 5,062 |  Reviews: 1,487

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

1/12 Review:
What the shit is this? haha. Thanks dragomni, for burning my taste buds right off.

I could only handle a few drinks of this, and the last one gave me the shivers. I'm not a hop head, and this is pretty much straight hops, with some draino thrown in? Seriously, though, it's extremely bitter, very citrusy (normally I like that! not here!), and extremely bitter. Did I say it's bitter? Holy hell. If you want to have a beer just for bitterness sake, here it is.

2013 Update - My tastebuds are now more acclimated to the hops and extreme DIPAs and Imperials so I re-reviewed. Plus the 2013 vintage is just better than 2012 was.

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

Review adapted from notes taken 7/27/11

Appearance: Pours thick, dark orange/amber - thin white head that doesn't leave much lacing - could look much more appealing

Smell: Absolutely bizarre and a little disturbing, like some kind of cross between weed and spaghetti sauce - dank, with onions and garlic - some serious citrus under this, as well as more herbal and floral notes - some oily pine, too - syrupy malts underneath

Taste: Indescribably bitter and over the top - extremely harsh and volatile - flavors are chaotic and borderline insane (and not really in a delicious way) - tons of citrus, citrus rind, oily pine, resin, pine cones - tons of malt, too - toasted, caramelized - the malts are so heavy and there is so much booze that this kind of tastes like a liqueur or something

Mouthfeel: Heavy, syrupy - thick with a serious alcohol bite - needs more carbonation

Overall: More of an experience than a beer

This is one of the most bizarre creations I have encountered. I expected it to be intense, but Devil Dancer is just absurd. The problem with this level of absurdity is that it inspires curiosity... While I didn't love this, I am curious to try it again.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

This is my first beer review and I must say this is quite the beer to be the first. So here we go and bear with me:

A- This is a very nice golden color. There wasn't much of a head when poured, but still got some and it was a gentle pour.

S- You can smell the hops right up from almost like grapefruit and citrus, but not overbearing that the malt flavor can come through as well. And on the end you get a slight hint of alcohol.

T- This is what made me give it the rating I did. It was so nice to drink this. I got the bitterness that I love, but it wasn't a bad bitterness and it was balance very well with the malt. You can taste a bit of alcohol on the back end, but I like this if done right.

M- At first I gave it a 5, but after drinking more my mouth started to get that bitter after taste which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This was my only dig on the mouth feel other than that I would have given it a 5, but it gets a 4.

O- Overall, this is a great beer and I can't wait to get my hands on some more. I got two and stuck one in the cellar to see what it taste like after a year. It was bottled in June so this will be nice to have on a hot summer day this coming summer.

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%