Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,049 | Ratings: 11,928
4.41/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle thanks to Rene. Pours out black and oily, small tan head. Big, bold aroma of coffee and chocolate. Sweet chocolate bar, more coffee, roast grains, bourbon notes and vanilla. This one stands up to its reputation.

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks @newbeeraday for this elusive beer.

Inky black pour, quite the same as their Imperial Double Stout around Christmas time. The head is minimal, to be expected for a 12% beer. A beige ring manages to form, and of course the body is just a blackout.

Aromas are hot, sticky, and mouth-watering. Lots of boozy bourbon, some milk chocolate, Hershey's syrup, torched/fried bananas, and sweet molasses.

The flavors just soak into the palate as you let it rest there. Chocolate, chocolate syrup, oatmeal, top-shelf bourbon, honey, sticky figs, and honey. The tip of the tongue samples coffee, but washing it to the back mutes that and reveals all of the above. The hotness of the bourbon wraps over the profile and gets stronger as the beer warms.

The feel is total exhuberance. Just thick. Viscous. Not palate-wrecking, not like the Speedway Stout; but rather it coats the palate completely and soaks in like a fine red wine.

Overall, world-class is right. This beer is absolutely fantastic. I'm a frugal guy, but $22 for a 4 pack is an outright steal for this kind of beer. I'll stand in line next year to buy my limit. Absolutely mind blown.

Further analysis : Compared to a standard FBS, aged at 1 year (which in my opinion is optimal as the coffee fades and the chocolate and oats pop up), the FBS drinks more like a porter and is prominently coffee forward, with little dashes of oats here and there. The KBS destroys it. Both good beers, but KBS is an obvious notch or three above.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Service: Bottle
Bottled: 2015

A:
Thick opaque black with tight finger of brown velvet-bubbled head, settles to a film; some speckled lacing. (4)

S:
A rich melange of sweet roast flavors and bourbon. Chocolate, leather, vanilla, bourbon, old wood, smoke. (4.5)

T:
Smooth rich chocolaty roast flavors, coffee, nuts, oak with a splash of bourbon character and warmth with a soft vanilla/cocoa flavor at the end. (4.5)

M:
Smooth and creamy, full bodied, low carbonation, alcohol warmth in the finish. (4.25)

O:
Really nice BA Stout.
This one is a tasty, boozy beer that is very smooth and strikes a good balance between all the characteristics at work. The aromas are a smooth stream of chocolatey tones with a roasty, oily coffee backbone and some sweet roast notes. The flavor follows suit. The bourbon is at a nice level for my tastes. It is definitely there and can even be felt going down, but I don't feel like I am drinking whiskey like I do with some BA stouts. Based on it's heat, maybe this is cause the base beer is so crammed full of flavor that it overpowers the sharpness or maybe it's cause it's a year old? Either way, it is a smooth velvety beer, that is way too drinkable and manages to be straightforward and complex at once. Really nice. Hopefully I get to try it again at some point. (4.5)

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

One of the most unbelievable things to cross my lips. Pours really dark, lots of pungent bourbon in the nose. Honestly, I love this stuff. A great beer for aging if that's what you're into. If you get a chance to try it, try it.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle pour into tulip. 2016 bottling.

Man, this is so close to perfect!! Obviously had high expectations for this one given the esteem in which it is held. I admit I was a little boozy before I cracked this as I was saving it for the end of a Saturday night tasting session. Must try again with a clear head. The first smell and sip were mind blowing but I struggled a little with the alcohol burn as I kept drinking. Will cellar a few of these and retry. Overall, I think I prefer the Founders Imperial Stout? A head to head definitely on the cards! Cheers!!

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Super delicious Breakfast Stout with a big presence of the bourbon barrel and coffee. Founders did very well with this beer. Definitely one you want to try!

4.46/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle dated 02/16/16. Pours jet black, with a brown head that dissipates, leaving some lacing. Smell is of bourbon, roasted coffee - don't smell much chocolate. Taste is bourbony at first, complemented by the coffee and chocolate (which I can taste more than smell). Very smooth for a 12% abv. As it warms, a little bit more alcohol heat on the tongue but not in a bad way.
A great BA stout.

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Black as night with no light penetration. There's a fingernail of beige on top. I smell chocolate, coffee, and dark roasted barley. I taste dark chocolate,coffee, and sweet bourbon in a beautiful melody. The mouth is silky and creamy smooth.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

It pours like oil, little not no head, and the smell wafts from the glass to your nose. Coffee, chocolate, roastiness, it's all there. Then it tastes like it smells. It's thick, some background bitterness, but it's smooth at the same time. This one can't be served too cold or it tastes "closed up". Pour it in the glass, wait until your gut says to drink it, then wait 5-10 more minutes.

Perhaps it was the let down from the hype or the fact it isn't as good as other BA stouts, I'm not sure. However, it was a good beer, just didn't knock my socks off as being leaps and bound better then most other BA Stouts.

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

"What we've got here is an imperial stout brewed with a massive amount of coffee and chocolates, then cave-aged on oak bourbon barrels for an entire year to make sure wonderful bourbon undertone come through in the finish. Makes your taste buds squeal with delight." Brewed in.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a snifter glass.

(Appearance) Pours a creamy foam head of a pale tan complexion over a near black body. Retention is good and lacing is light and spotty. 4

(Smell) Moderate roasted grains, bitter cocoa nibs, moderate roasted coffee bean character, vanilla and bourbon notes. 3.75

(Taste) Subdued chocolate and coffee notes with a moderate earthy bitterness, finishes with a pinch of bourbon alcohol. 4

(Mouthfeel) Smooth, silky, lightly chewy, finishes mildly dry. Carbonation is moderate, generating a moderate and a moderately crisp finish. Body is moderate for the style, short of heavy overall. Balance is evenly sweet to bitter to boozy. Alcohol presence is mild for the style, mild overall. 4.25

(Overall) Fairly lighter bodied than expected, but very well balanced with loads of flavor in the coffee, chocolate and bourbon character environments. Highly recommended. 4.25

Founders Brewing Company's
KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.02/5.00

Vertical Notes:

2015 (1 Year, 4 months Aged): Pour is identical to the fresh vintage, wispy tan head, identical hued body. More revealed bourbon nose, less chocolate and coffee. A little more grainy, exposed booziness, still very solid.

2014 (2 Years, 4 months Aged): Oxidation creeping in, entirely faded coffee and chocolate flavors, trace graininess. Little chocolate, no coffee, dark fruit esters gaining. Less enjoyable at this stage.

2013 (3 Years, 4 months Aged): Really incredibly boozy up front, slightly more coffee and chocolate preserved, inky, rich and viscous. Still nicely balanced, a bit richer with a lot of preserved syrupy chocolate and roasted barley flavors, with a rich bourbon bite on the back end. Very enjoyable.

2011 (5 Years, 4 months Aged): Pours very silky smooth, jet black appearance. Not as much bourbon aroma, roasted character, chocolate, very pale aroma overall, some slight oxidation and fruit characters incoming. Flavorwise, there is a remaining trace of dark chocolate, some viscosity, dark fruit and oxidation. A bit down from 2013, but still decent.

2010 (6 Years, 4 months Aged): Earthy roast characteristics, dark chocolate aromas, dark fruit notes, light graininess. Rich earthiness and chocolate notes, faded coffee and balanced bourbon. Probably my second favorite vintage (after '13)

2008 (8 Years aged): Super earthy, rich and roasty. Flavor is roasty, softly grainy, chocolatey. Very enjoyable overall, quite incredible. One of the best vintages.

Overall impressions: I found that although aging these beers resulted in varying degrees of enjoyment, I found the older vintages to be overall excellent, very well primed for aging and held up outstandingly well. I can only ponder if Founders changed the recipe in the past few years, as the 2015 and 2014 were not enjoyable overall.

Recommended Vintage: Drink 3 bottles, leave one bottle. It was a neat vertical and I think more people should try it.

Note: This was my 1,000th review! Thanks to my support for cheering me on through this process, and I'll try to get to 2,000 much quicker!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

5 oz. pour at the brewery (and that was plenty for me!) Pitch black with a beautiful tan head. Aroma of coffee and bourbon, little else. My server said I was lucky to have caught this on at this time of year (July 2). As I drank/sipped it I couldn't help thinking "they couldn't have put a shot of whiskey in a Breakfast Stout, could they?". Just seems like way to much bourbon flavor to have come from barrel aging...unless someone didn't empty some barrels very well. I would bet my life that this has bourbon added to the beer. Very strong alcohol flavor but delicious. It took me a while to finish it but it was a definite experience for a Texas boy who was wondering if I would ever get the chance! BTW, I had probably the worst food pairing possible because I was sharing a pizza with my wife.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's always fun to review beers with so much hype. Founders KBS has been on my list for a while. Finally got my hands on some. Pours very dark brown, almost black, with a tan head and little carbonation. Aroma is coffee, chocolate, and bourbon. A slight bit of vanilla if you work hard for it. Taste is more coffee and bourbon with less chocolate. Alcohol is definitely present which isn't surprising for 12.4% ABV. Mouthfeel isn't as creamy as I would have liked for a big stout like this.

Overall, I really like this beer, but I wanted to really love this beer. I think I would've preferred a little less bourbon flavor as I think it overpowers the chocolate and vanilla. Would also have preferred a more creamy mouthfeel with less alcohol burn. I'm glad I finally got to try it, but I'm not sure I'll go through the pain of seeking it out next year.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from bottle to a chilled glass. Paired with a ribeye topped with blue cheese. Pours pitch black, with little head and carbonation. Smells of whiskey and oak. Tastes of whiskey followed by chocolate with spices and wood on the tail end. You definitely taste the alcohol, but is very smooth a refined like a fine Bourbon. The mouth feel is thick and rich, with an almost syrup like texture that is very pleaseant. Overall a phenomenal beer that is not for the faint of heart. IPA lovers beware, this about as unhoppy as you can get.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Really good. It's mostly what you expect from the other reviews, but you do taste the alcohol. Look, this is a really powerful beer, not a milkshake or a cafe latte. The first time I had it I either hadn't had the right beers or food before it and found it harsh and disappointing. Then I tried it again and it was really good and blew away some other stouts I was tasting next to it. It does have all the chocolate, coffee, barrel, stout flavor that you'd expect from the other reviews and is delicious, but it doesn't go down easy. It's a complex sipper that you know you're drinking. Will grow on you and become better and better.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draft at City Tap Room in DC. Pours nearly pitch black. Nose is all coffee with subtle bourbon notes. Taste is similar. All rich coffee and cocoa with hints of bourbon. Feel isn't thick as I expected. A touch on the thin side. Overall, a very good coffee forward BBA stout. Wasn't blown away though. I wish the bourbon was more prominent. Perhaps previous years releases were better?

A Beast of a Beer
Is it the hit of vanilla / whisky on the nose?
Is it the massively complex palate with all sorts of competing yet complementary elements?
Or is it just Damn Good Beer?

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite brews. KBS is almost always good. It pours a dark brown and reeks of coffee. It tastes like coffee with boozy undertones. The 2016 version seems to have less of a boozy taste than previous years. It also seems to be a little thinner boddied. I remember KBS being thick. When I've found it on tap, it drinks more like an imperial porter. Its one of the best bourbon barrel aged imperial stouts there is. compared to something like a Bourbon County, this absolutely kills it ever single time.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L -- Jet black with a nice mocha colored head, which was not very large as I didn't pour too aggressively.

S -- Bourbon hits quickly and hard, but quickly falls in line with chocolate, milk coffee, and other sweet roasted malts. Later on I get certain notes of plum, very very ripe plum, but only with my mouth open.

T -- Follows the smell very closely, with the addition of a strong bitter chocolate flavor. I think I started drinking a little early as I took it outside in the afternoon sun and as it warmed the bourbon become more pronounced, in a good way, as it slipped into the sweetness and the two created a very nice balance. There's a definite note of hop bitterness to account for all the malts, but they sit nicely in the flavor profile. The more and more I drank this, the higher I rated it -- the balance becomes more pronounced with time.

F -- Not the thickest beer ever, and I think I was expecting a bit more based on the pour, but very nicely viscous. Same as in the taste, warmth brought on a better experience as the beer got to that viscosity that I expected when watching it pour.

O -- A great bourbon barrel aged stout. It is one of the best I've had, ranking just a bit below CBS and BCBS, as it seems to be missing just that bit of thickness and, in my mind, a little sweetness to counter the bourbon bite and the bitterness of the hops. That's very nitpicky as it's a great beer and one I would never turn down if offered.

4.91/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours fairly thick, and pitch black. The head is thick, and frothy. It lasts. The nose is very pleasing. It's got coffee notes, and chocolate. The taste is amazing. It's rich with coffee flavor. It has some barrel flavor. It's smooth. Very delicious.

4.31/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The reason I rated maybe lower then others is, I have had so many great Barreled Aged Stouts that just taste better. I have had a few each year and they do age very well. Looking forward to a 5 year vertical aging

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle, 2013 version, 11.2% ABV, enjoyed 6/23/16. Pours jet black with a small sized dark khaki head. Smells of cocoa, bourbon, oak, roasted malt, and oxidization/sherry; good intensity. The taste follows exactly with cocoa, bourbon, oak, roasted malt, and oxidization; extremely smooth. Some moderate bitterness and light sweetness. Above average body and lower carbonation. Overall, the flavors have really mellowed out and lost all harshness. Seems to have held up alright with cellaring, but might be a little past it's prime.

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This is an magnificent experience. The dark, rich, thick appearance is unmistakable in your glass. The deep and bold flavors linger in your mouth. The perfect beer to sip on!

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L - Dark, creamy pour into a pint glass (I like pint glasses)

S - Coffee & bourbon, couldn't wait to try

T - Again, coffee w/ chocolate & some nice booze!

F - Nice bite from the bourbon (could be under taste), but smooth in it's own way

O - Solid frickin' stout. Try it if you get your hands on it

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2015 bottle. Poured into a sniffer. Jet black color with a toffee colored fingernail head that doesn't leave lacing. The lack of head might have something to do with my pouring. Nose of bourbon, vanilla, and roasted malts. It's a nose with lots of fine details. Taste follows the nose with roasted malt, subdued coffee, sweetness from vanilla and chocolate, and oak. Full, creamy body and low carbonation with no alcohol sneaking through.
I broke this out to split with my dad for Father's Day and kinda wish I had the whole bottle to myself. It has a wonderfully complex nose and layered, balanced body that isn't too boozey, oakey, or sweet. This year lived up to the hype. It makes me look forward to the 2016 bottles.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company