Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,600 |  Reviews: 3,220

I can't say anything more than has already been said about this brew. Exceptional in every way, it is well worth knocking off early from work to be sure you get this before it's gone. And it will be...soon.

At least if I and any of my 4 friends here have anything to say about it.

#BOTG 67! A pretty special one...2012 KBS! My triple header ending of tonight, something to sip on for sure. Poured from bottle into my CBS snifter. Pours a pitch black motor oil thickness, brown tan head that bubbles up like a tarpit from the glass. Beautiful. A tan ring settles around the circumference of the glass. Smell- amazing. Sweet molasses, caramel, honey, chocolate. Just absolutely decadent. Maybe a little bit of cinnamon. Taste- buttery caramel, molasses, spicy tobacco reminds me of Red Man from my HS baseball days. Sweet bourbon, espresso roast finishes the end. Wow. This is absolutely mind boggling good. This is so smooth, the bourbon flavor is absolutely present, but this shows no booze at all. I'm glad to have had the chance to taste this (thanks Eric!), and will seek it out again. World class, lives up to the hype. This is a home run, a perfect 5.0.

Many, MANY thanks to AlohaC for making my tasting of this beer possible.
Hmmm...where to begin.
Pours a deep used motor oil black with a creamy tan head that melts to thick glass-sticking lacing.
Aroma is unbelievable chocolate, espresso coffee and cream, followed with vanilla and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging with definate oak scents.
Mouthfeel is oh so buttery smooth and creamy with just a tingle of hops/carbonation.
Taste is also unbelievable. Coffee...lots of vanilla....light boubon....chocolate...almost a cream chocolate...more vanilla. WOW.
This could be the inside of a cream sees candy...or better a Beligium chocolate..a handmade Belgium chocolate.
Aftertaste is again sudden vanilla...chocolate, bourbon vanilla.
This is more than a desert...more than a meal....more like a sin.
I know that all 5's are not often supposed to happen and I have only given them to one other beer. 5's mean you cannot improve anymore.
For this beer, I do not think there could be anything better.
Thanks again, AlohaC

I will tell you the truth. With all the hype surrounding this beer I was sure this was going to be a HUGE let down. As I was not too impressed with the regular breakfest stout. Now I have this to say, I dont think the Lord our God would let a beer get any better.

Appearance: Thick, as black as the night, not too far from used 5w30. A thin brown head that collects around the sides of the glass. This head looks like a cloudy sattelite photo of the earth.

Smell: Oh man, like those sweet vanilla cigars old men smoke, like a fresh bottle of vanilla, leather, good coffee, a pleasent alcohol sweetness with nothing offensive detected.

Taste: I drank this at room temp. Who could do this beer justice and describe its taste? This is like creamy vanilla ice cream and port wine. Its not too sweet though I would say on a scale of 1-10 its about a 6. But once you get that initial sweetness the hops come in to keep it in check.

Mouthfeel: Its thick. Like vitamin D milk. Subtle carbonation, I love its touch and how it sets my mind at ease. No fizziness.

Drinkability: When it comes to high alcohol beers you expect them to be a bit harsh and kind of tough to get down. This is an exception, its super smooth. I would like to drink this all the time.

This is the best beer I have had thus far. For me it has surpassed the hype. I imagine only the Saints in Heaven are drinking anything better.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company