Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#27

Ratings: 12,726 |  Reviews: 3,246

3.04/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

Love the depth Of this beer

3.06/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Very overrated. Very thin mouth feel. Tastes like backwoods bastard. The barrel is definitely the same. Shocked at how high the rating is

3.07/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I was excited wife scored a four pack for me. Not gonna go through a full review. I had it smelled like coffee and alcohol. But the taste I just couldn't take it. It taste like bourbon spiked cold coffee. And I don't like coffee. Don't take this wrong I know coffee notes are part of having a stout but usually chocolate is too and didn't get that anywhere in this beer. If ever have again it would be one and done, then go onto another beer. Sorry but this beer is overrated, Or maybe not just to my liking.

3.08/5  rDev -33.2%

Was really looking forward to this, but i hate coffee so didnt enjoy this, too heavy on the coffee.

3.09/5  rDev -33%

Overrated. Plenty of better barrel aged stouts around. The normal Breakfast Stout is much better.

3.09/5  rDev -33%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Very thin. Was let down. Maybe got fake bottles. So bad.

3.09/5  rDev -33%

Not my style but I went for it. It's alright.

3.1/5  rDev -32.8%

This is my first review for Beeradvocate. I've been in the booze biz for about 7 years now. I am currently a wine consultant but, I have several years of beer tasting experience. I guess that I have tried well over 100 beers, not including macro brews. The hype in the beer world is no different than the hype in the wine world so, I have to rip on this fairly overrated beer:

A: pours a slightly oily black stew with no head.

S: smells like mesquite wood, fresh ground coffee and dark chocolate. No bourbon aromas to be found.

T: Bitter sweet espresso shot cold. Long finish. Hate to say it but, it tastes just like a can of Starbucks Double Shot Espresso with less sugar and no cream. Not as boozy as a Bourbon County Stout as I thought it would be. Where's the bourbon?

M: Not as cloying as I thought it would be. Palate is on the medium body side and dryer than I thought it would be which is good.

D: One in the morning or one at night. Good with smoked cheese.

Both beer and movies have their "fan boys" (you know, the kind that love eye candy movies like The Matrix and Star Wars and will give movies like that a high rating simply because they are supposed to like it), and this beer will be praised by biased drinkers and will try to tell you it is the best thing ever. I disagree, this is truly an overrated beer but, it's not bad. For the price, Yeti and Storm King are a much better value and you don't have to wait for them to be released.

3.1/5  rDev -32.8%

I had a lot of expectations regarding this beer, and I think I may have enjoyed this more without the expectations. The beer pours a very dark brown, with little head. The smell is of bourbon with some vanilla and roasted coffee. The taste is over the top bourbon, with burnt coffee. The taste just didnt do it for me, it was a little too overboard and tasted like a cold coffee and bourbon mixed drink. Given the hype around this beer, I will someday probably come into possession of another bottle and see if my first impressions were off.

3.1/5  rDev -32.8%

This has to be the most overrated beer I've ever had. I've been waiting a long time to try try this beer. I was very disappointed. I asked the bartender to check the keg to make sure it was KBS. He knew exactly what I was talking about and agreed with me. Zero bourbon flavor. If this beer was aged in bourbon barrels, then it wasn't for long or the barrel had been used several times. This beer tasted like an iced coffee. The mouth feel was thin. If you think this is a great beer, I suggest you try a goose island bourbon county stout. Everyone around me said the same thing. I enjoyed the beer, just did not live up to the hype.

3.1/5  rDev -32.8%

2011 bottle poured into a Southampton snifter, served at cellar temp.

This beer pours nearly pitch black With a very thin mocha colored head that quickly dissipates. The smell is heavy on the bourbon with hints of vanilla and a hint of coffee, there is also a strong roasted malt character to the nose. The flavor is bourbon and slightly boozy a lot of roasty bitterness too barely a hint of vanilla a little more coffee and no residual sweetness. The mouthfeel is thin and lightly carbonated. Overall I was not as impressed by this beer as I thought i would be, the body was too thin there was no residual sweetness and to me it felt like the bourbon and roasted malts were just butting heads.

3.12/5  rDev -32.3%

1/2 pint on tap, oily and shiny body with a wisp of head that recedes to a bubbly ring. A bit of lacing.

Whoa, right from the first sniff loads more bourbon than I remember from the bottled version. Roasted malt and coffee are no match. Come sippin' time, the bourbon once again drops the hammer. Coffee's actually pretty strong as well. Dark fruit and chocolate are overwhelmed by the bourbon/coffee 1-2 combo, and roasted malts are mostly an afterthought. Holy mackerel this is boozy. Kinda like Bourbon County Stout randalized through chocolate chips and espresso beans. An intense experience, but not something I'd seek out.

3.16/5  rDev -31.5%

3.17/5  rDev -31.2%

A big thanks out to "WhoKnew" for throwing in a bonus bottle for me!

It poured a dark black with a minimal wispy tan-colored head that quickly disappeared. Remnants of the head sticks to glass and leaves a trace as I drink it down.

As I swirl it about the carbonation rises and surprises me with more flavor hinting at coffee, chocolate fudge, something burnt/roasted, maybe some vanilla(?) until I finish it off. The flavor continues into the aftertaste which turns into a subtle hint of bourbon that's just the perfect balance.

This is very balanced and extremely smooth. The mouthfeel is very full-bodied yet light and made for an easy drinkability but it's bursting potency commands your respect hence the sippability.

This is a world-class stout, deserving of it's rank on BA.

3.18/5  rDev -31%

Tried it a second time out of concern that I got the wrong beer the first time. Looks nice in the glass, dark body with a thick dark head rare in beers this strong. Aroma is mostly booze with some stale coffee and splintery wood once it wams up. Tastes confused, like an imperial stout with bourbon poured in, and a fair amount of acid. Finishes syrupy and acidic.

Can't understand the obsession with this, I'd suggest you could add a shot of bourbon to an FBS, but I like FBS too much to waste it.

3.19/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.2/5  rDev -30.6%

Had this in a bottle at Black and Blue in Easton

A-deep dark black with no light shining through and zero head.

S-lots of coffee, bourbon and chocolate. Some Anise in the background and has a booziness to it too.

T-very similiar to the smell. coffee, bourbon and chocolate, thick chewy stout.

M-very thick and chewy. great stout.

overall, not worth the price, not worth anything for the hype this gets at all. Would have thought much higher of it if it wasn't such a WHALE!!

WHALE ALERT!!