Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
World-Class
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#26

Ratings: 12,767 |  Reviews: 3,251
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is definitely best fresh, I never age these anymore, seems to fall off after 6-9 months

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Fremont small snifter. I was gifted this bottle on my retirement, and I'm very excited to try this legendary stout. Pours pitch black, with the consistancy of 30 weight, with a thin, light brown head with good retention and lacing. Aroma of dark toasted malt with a hint of char, drip coffee, hints of vanilla and nuts; no noteable bourbon. Flavor of toasted, charred malt, boiled down coffee, vanilla, bitter chocolate, hints of bourbon and oak. Malty to start, with coffee flavors developing to finish with the more light acidic flavor of coffee and oak. Nice medium to heavy bodied with light creaminess. A well made coffee stout with a good balance between the coffee and malt, with perhaps a bit more coffee than expected, but the fresh coffee flavors have faded in the barrel, which left surprisingly light bourbon flavors. ABV well covered. Glad I got the chance to try this classic.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

This is an update to my 09 review a 5.
Not the same beer from 09. The taste is unbalanced and not what it once was. So sad this is not as much of a disapointment as Hopslam( a complete letdown the last three years)
Enjoy perfection when you notice.

Big thanks to Howard (wearing the green kilt) for being a beer angel and directly us to where we could buy KBS. Brewery ran out of 150 cases in less than 2 hours.

OK...I am fortunate to have had the 09 KBS on Nitro-tap & on tap at the brewery. Have not cracked the 09 bottles yet.

This review is for the nitro. $6 for 8 ounces. Not a cheap date.

Great looking, black & mysterious, but there are alot of hotties in the craft world these days.

Wonderful aroma and fun to go sniffing for vanilla & bourbon.

Taste of the nitro is relaxed. It goes down so easy it is truly dangerous. Flavors dance. Bourbon flavor seemed somewhat subdued compared to the draft & the 08 bottle.

Mouthfeel is pure velvet with less slick.

Drinkability- I could drink 4 of these easy. Not a cheap date. Would definetly need a taxi or a sleepover.

If you are within a days drive....hope to see you and Howard there in 2010.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 3/23/2014

Bottle into a tulip. Black with a thin head of khaki bubbles. Big aroma of coffee, chocolate, and bourbon, but not a whole lot else. Maybe some faint notes of vanilla. Thankfully the taste is better. Bourbon and chocolate, vanilla, caramel malt, and coffee/expresso. Lighter than I expected, though far from thin. Decent alcohol burn on the finish.

Pretty underwhelming given the hype. Maybe this one was aged too much, but I was expecting a lot more. Just seemed pretty one-dimensional to me.

EDIT: Got a mason jar of a fresh batch, and I have to say - MUCH better. Same aromas and taste, only amplified. Very robust coffee notes and sweet, vanilla borurbon. Drink this baby fresh. Numbers adjusted.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Pours pitch dark chocolate black. Little to no head which concerned me. Not even a finger of head. I see other reviews speaking of head so I am worried I have a bad bottle. Let it warm up for 10 minutes before drinking. You can smell dark roasted malts - almost burnt, strong espresso or dark italian coffee, hint of vanila with a slight aroma of bourbon. I do smell oak. It is thick in the mouth much the way it appears. Medium body though - would have thought it would be heavier. Tastes are all above with coffee underlying most of them. I tasted more dark chocolate and coffee than anything else. ABV is very well concealed. However, this beer has been so hyped to me it was doomed to disappoint. Hoping I just had a bad bottle. I will try it again. This particular bottle was above average but nothing outstanding. No Surly Darkness, 3 Brothers Resolute, etc. 4/16/15 update. Drank this year's version. Much the same. Really good but if I miss it next year I won't need therapy. For the money, Stone RIS is nearly as good (aged especially), readily available and a fraction of the cost.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

03/27/07- Received via trade with Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a notch system of freshness. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Black colored pour with a dirty brown head, approx 1/2 inch. Settles at a very light rim. Lacing is spotty and streaky.

Smell- Kind of a cross between some burnt wet cardboard and wet cigarette ashes. Some chocolate and deep malt is also found underneath.

Taste- Taste is spot on. The first sip is very much reminescent of the scent. A swig of cigarette ashes that only lasts for a split second. Then you get a wonderful thick coating of deep dark chocolate in your mouth. Very mild hops are present. Mostly deep chocolaty goodness with a hint of bourbon.

Mouthfeel- Pretty creamy and very coating. Carbonation level is a bit higher than I would like for a stout.

Drinkability- Had hopes this would be my first "5" beer, but the scent totally turned me off. But then the taste turned me on again. A very solid brew worth drinking many a time and not smelling.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

From the first pour it was dark and had strong aromatics of coffee.

The fist sip reminded me of eating pancakes and drinking a large mug of coffee.

It was served to me in a snifter and had a nice tan head to it, I liked the complexity to the beer the different flavors that start to come out as it changed temperature. This is a beer I enjoyed but I am not sure I would want to enjoy more than one of at a time.

2013
Poured into snifter

Appearance - Pours like old motor oil. No light getting through. 1/2 finger of dark caramel colored head hangs for a minute and fades away into the night. Very little lacing.

Smell - Oaky Bourbon scents dominate, with hints of vanilla, milk chocolate and coffee.

Taste - Dominant dark chocolate and coffee. Bold bourbon accents are there as well. Surprisingly, a pretty easy drinker at 11.2%.

Mouthfeel - Heavy body, light carbonation, sticky & semi-dry finish.

Overall - A solid, enjoyable beer. Well worth the $19 for a 4-pack that Founders charges. But I can't say it's worth the massive upcharge that most local liquor stores in the Chicago area are charging. This bottle cost me $7.99 + tax. I can get 4 regular Breakfast Stouts for just a few bucks more. That's a no-brainer. If you can find a single bottle for $6 or so, it's well worth it!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On draft at City Tap Room in DC. Pours nearly pitch black. Nose is all coffee with subtle bourbon notes. Taste is similar. All rich coffee and cocoa with hints of bourbon. Feel isn't thick as I expected. A touch on the thin side. Overall, a very good coffee forward BBA stout. Wasn't blown away though. I wish the bourbon was more prominent. Perhaps previous years releases were better?

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

Oil can black color with a thin tan head. High ABV keeps the head down and there is no lace. Smell of bourbon with some coffee and burnt malt in the background. Taste hits you up front with the bourbon and then the coffee and burnt malts slip in. Some dark fruits and raisin flavors slip in there too. Very full mouth with very litle carbonation. Some major burn in the finish. Overall this one is exactly what you would expect. Big, in your face, full of alcohol. Well done Founders.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

Good, not great. A little too sweet -- the coffee and chocolate are stronger than the bourbon-barrel taste. Founders is incapable of making a bad beer, but considering that this is 11.2% abv, I would go with the Breakfast Stout, which is edgier-tasting and easier on the blood system.

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle for ~$5. Enjoyed from a Founders pint glass.

Pours like molasses and a hard pour produces very little head. Thick and oily.

Smell is dominated by sweet coffee. Bourbon is present but not overpowering.

Taste starts with coffee, with bourbon as the second fiddle again. Becomes more prevalent as it warms. A nice change from some BA's that are like taking a shot of Maker's every sip. However, the bourbon adds a sourness that I wasn't expecting. So, a little taken off for that. Mouthful was thick and rich, no carbonation here.

Very good beer, but not top 10 in the world.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at RFD DC Chinatown. 6 oz for $10. I got two back-2-back. Drank this with my good friend Dan. He wasn't as impressed as I was, going in knowing the hype. He preferred BCBCS.

I liked this more as a vanilla bomb. I don't get the coffee as much. I get the malt. I get the chocolate. The classic bourbony/ vanilla flavor i love so much. Black, smooth, creamy. No charring. No bitterness. I probably prefer the regular BCBCS, but this is still phenomenal. Definitely worth a try, even if it is $10 for 6 oz.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company