Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,595 |  Reviews: 3,219

2.04/5  rDev -55.3%

2.06/5  rDev -54.8%

I am in disbelief, this beer fell flat on it's face! Drinkable is the nicest description I'm willing to grant this failure. I would take a backwoods bastard over a KBS evey time. If you want a great bourbon barrel aged beer, do yourself a favor and try anything from 50/50 in Truckee, CA

2.08/5  rDev -54.4%

2.12/5  rDev -53.5%

Tried a 2011 bottle on May 15 with two of my friends on our "Epic Beer Tasting Day". The line-up consisted of 2010 Darklord, Rare Bourbon County Stout, , 2011 Hanahpu, 2011 KBS, 2010 Abyss.

Appearance - It pours a very dark brown, almost black in appearance. Had a very thin mocha colored head that quickly disappears.

Smell - Bourbon? Nope I didn't smell any of that. I smelled mostly burnt coffee/caramel and nothing else. Disappointing to say the least.

Taste - The alcohol is just too overwhelming in this. I couldn't taste anything but alcohol. I thought it would have a wonderful balanced flavor of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon, but got nothing of it.

Mouthfeel - Very thick as it coats your whole mouth and burns your throat as it goes down. Not a pleasant experience at all.

Overall - Overrated! Very disappointed.

2.12/5  rDev -53.5%

This beer was wasted on me.
I do no not typically like stouts, and not a fan of the whole "barrel aged" thing because I don't do whiskey or bourbon.
I was glad I got to try it.
Don't worry, no drain pour, my good buddy Mikey got to benefit from it.

2.15/5  rDev -52.9%

Bottle poured into a snifter. I was excited to try this one and vastly disappointed by the results.

A - dark as night as one would expect, but even a rough pour left a small, short-lived head.

S - bourbon, coffee (but not good coffee, we're talking bad gas station coffee here)

T - bourbon, bourbon, bourbon, and more bourbon, coffee, a little chocolate, and roasted malt. I couldn't enjoy the chocolate maltiness because the bourbon flavor was so overpowering. In spite of all that bourbon taste, I do give it credit for concealing its 11.2% ABV pretty well.

M - nice medium body, probably this beers best feature.

D - glad I tried it once. Left me never wanting another.

2.18/5  rDev -52.2%

Fresh 2014 bottle dated 3/14/14. Pours a dark imperial stout black. Unfortunately for this rating, i am continuing past the appearance. Aroma is coffee, but not the most pleasant coffee. Reminds me of the subpar coffee at Munster donut. Kinda stale. Taste is even worse. Stale coffee with a bit of roast and chocolate. Some might say the flavors are balanced. No the stuff is just weak. That's like complementing Budweiser on the water and piss being perfectly balanced. Mouthfeel is thin. This stuff has the body of a coked out Olsen twin. Overall, this is a subpar bourbon imperial stout. I used to think this stuff was really good. I don't know if founders has dropped off in an effort to crank out more of their most coveted annual release or if everyone else has caught up to and blown past. Either way, this stuff is highly overrated and really only serves as trade bait. Don't believe the hype.

2.19/5  rDev -52%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had really high hopes for this beer. I love the Founders Imperial Stout and the Breakfast Stout, so I was really excited to try the KBS. The KBS poured a rich black color. To me the smell was a little overpowering. This seemed more of a sipping beer and not a gulper. The alcohol taste was too overpowering to enjoy and it nearly masked the hints of coffee and chocolate.

2.24/5  rDev -50.9%

One of the most disappointing BBA stouts I've ever had, have "enjoyed" both fresh and aged, coffee smell and taste was old and stale, quite the letdown. Perhaps the greatest downfall of this beer minus its vegetative nature is its incredible thinness. Perfect example of a hype beer.

2.24/5  rDev -50.9%

So this beer pours a nice deep opaque black, that lets no light though. It also tops off with a nice deep tan head that is very dense, and laces very nicely. So this is where this beer went WAAAY down hill for me. This beer starts off with that obvious deep coffee grain aroma, that has the hint of paper, and some grass to it. not hops, but that old musty grass. Oh the The bourbon barrel comes up from the rear with the hickory aroma as well. Of course there is the standard chocolate, molasses, licorice, and well the standards. But damn, that coffee/musty smell has got to go. Its not balanced, and... it just has to go. The aromas transfer to the flavor unfortunatly and make this beer damn near undrinkable. Leaves a very unpleasant taste of cardboard along with the aforementioned aromas that make up the taste. Man, this is rough. The mouthfeel is nice. it Starts off with a nice smooth creamy feeling. Little bit of carbination. Leaves no residue. Its just nice. Now for the drinkability. I just have to say that this beer is way, WAAAYY over-hyped. It should be in the top, 50, but not the top ten, or thirty for that matter. I am not a fan.

2.25/5  rDev -50.7%

2.38/5  rDev -47.8%

Appearance- dark brown to black, light tan head quicly fades away, very dark no light

Smell- very strong coffee and espresso, so strong and unique
smell, some roasted malts, but mostly pure coffee more then anything else

Taste- im a blown away how strong the taste of burbon whiskey is, infact way stronger then i had been hoping or expecting when i had put off to save trying this, not well balanced nearly enough as it should have been, literally not literally hint o f burbon taste like im drinking straight burbon, way to much alcohol to call it purely enjoyable, way overated and not enjoyable, unbalanced too burbony not enough beer,

Mouthfeel- semi sweet and syrupy but nothing impressive, the body is actually very light believe it or not in a way

Drinkability- tastes way to strong of liqour, i hope my other kbs tastes way better aged big freaking let down a terrible beer as of now that tastes too much burbon to be called beer, could never drink more then even one of these overerated beers, in my opinion had much better stouts

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company