Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,056 | Ratings: 11,994
4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Vintage 2010. Served at cellar temp ~55°. Poured into a plain snifter. Color is pitch black....maybe some hints of brown in the right light. With a fairly vigorous pour, KBS only develops about a 1/4", brown colored head, that receded pretty rapidly to a sudsy ring, leaving a modest amount of lace on the glass.

The aroma starts out with some pretty nice coffee and dark chocolate aromas, giving in quickly to a well-balanced bourbon character. Roasty and burnt caramels, with some sweet molasses notes.

The flavor follows suit. The coffee/dark chocolate characters take front seat, followed up quite nicely by a sweet booziness from the bourbon as well as a nice woody/oak character that I don't necessarily pick up in the aroma. The finish is well balanced, starting out with a sweet cream/marshmallow flavor, but falls short of becoming cloying, leaving just a mildly bitter, roast coffee flavor on the palate.

Mouthfeel is thick & sticky-icky. As I swirl it in my snifter, it coats the surface of the glass with an oil-like slick. Carbonation is very mild, just enough to tickle the tongue, but doesn't distract from the creamy mouthfeel of the beer. Compared to some of Founder's other bourbon barreled aged beers, I found this one to be the most balanced with the bourbon flavors. The bourbon is there but it melds perfectly with the characteristics of an amazingly well-crafted coffee stout. KBS is full of complex flavors yet remains well balanced. While I wouldn't recommend drinking more than one or two, all I know is I can't wait to crack my next KBS in a few months!

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

Thanks to slasher007 for sharing this beer. This has been on my to-try list for years and it didn't disappoint.

The beer pours a thick black with a brown head. The aroma is bitter coffee with some chocolate as well. The flavor is very complex with bourbon, oak, chocolate and coffee. The aftertaste is heavy on the chocolate with a strong warming from the alcohol. Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. An outstanding beer overall.

4.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with no distinguishing marks of vintage or bottle number. 2010 batch.

Poured into a chalice/snifter a thick and opaque black reminding me of the mirror like qualities of a crystal ball... only jet black like the darkest of nights. Carbonation was fantastic and bubbled upwards to create a finger width head filled with colors of cappuccino and creamed coffee with just a touch of red. Head quickly fades to just a skimming but with great lacing that seems to haunt the side of my glass in large menacing rings and drips.

A heavy of bouquet of espresso beans, rich coffee and chocolate is quickly complemented by oak and vanilla. The vanilla lingers onward with hints of alcohol sharpness and bourbon richness.

Heavily alcoholic, the brew hits like the first sip of whiskey but then comes the chocolate... An interesting mixing of dark chocolate, black coffee, light oak, light molasses and espresso beans confuse my palette. Definitely enjoyable but very different. The more I sip, the more I feel as if I am drinking a cup of really great coffee as the aftertaste is only of coffee, cream and light vanilla.

Mouthfeel is medium heavy and a bit syrupy at times. For a stout, it drinks nicely and as I would expect.

Drinkability? I've downed half a chalice at this point and, at 330 pounds, feel warm and fuzzy... Don't even try to make this a session beer unless, perhaps, you're used to drinking moonshine. The beer is smooth enough, however, and the alcohol becomes dangerously more hidden over time. Careful drinking if you're having more than one.

All in all, this is a great beer with, perhaps, a little too much hype surrounding it at times. I would still recommend any BA to try one or two of these but don't go trading one-for-one for a Westy or vintage DL or anything. This is a grade "A" beer but it shouldn't be a white whale. This is another great offering from an already solid brewery that finds it's beers as regulars in my cellar.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle that I found hidden behind a row of breakfast stout at the local 21st amendment. I know very lucky! To make it even better, I found two of them.

A- Very thick and black. IF I didn't pour it from the bottle, I would think it was motor oil. Of course the nice tan head would give it away. Very sticky looking with the way it clings to the side of the glass.
S- Coffee, check! Bourbon, check! KBS smells just as it advertises plus a little vanilla and roasty malts. I can't wait to try this year's version.
T- As I begin to taste the coffee flavor is over powering. After a few sips, I taste the bourbon, but a stronger vanilla flavor comes through. The finish is very sweet almost like a chocolate malt. Although I taste all of these flavors, KBS becomes more balanced as it warms and as I drink more. There is no alcohol flavor at all. I can't believe I am drinking an 11%ABV beer.
MF- KBS is very creamy in the mouth. It is not as thick as it looks!
D-This beer is awesome. I could drink this beer again and again and again and again and again and again. O.K. You get my point. Despite the ABV, I will drink this beer anytime I have the chance. I do have 5 more chances because I own that many more. I will have to limit my intake if I do not find anymore. Please let more of this perfect beer fall my way!!!!

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Pours a beautiful, thick, opaque black with a one finger mocha-colored head. Fair head retention.

S- Sweet,slightly boozy, some caramel, woody, rich coffee and a bit of dark chocolate.

T- Coffee and chocolate up front, accompanied by a nice vanilla that comes out more as the beer warms. Very rich, although I could do with a bit more bourbon flavor. A bit of woodyness littered throughout the beer as well.

M- Not the heaviest of hitters, but plenty thick and viscous. Perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Very very drinkable and it only gets better as you go. The alcohol is deceptively hidden, but you'll know it's there by the time the beer's gone.

I've drank two bottles of this years KBS purchased from two different locations, and they proved to be a bit different, so I scored them based on the better of the two. The difference seemed to be in the mouthfeel and the alcohol presence, with one being thinner and boozier that the other that was thick and has less bourbon presence. I'm curious to see how time will treat these...

4.41/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to Wespatrick for sending this my way

12fl oz bottle poured into my snifter

This poured an opaque like color with no light being able to pass through this darkly stout. Pour produced a very little half inch mocha colored head with less than average retention. As it faded it left a mere ring on the outer edges of the beer. No lacing was left at all.

Aroma consisted of some bourbon which was not overpowering, some vanilla, chocolate, oak, oats, leather. Very good aroma coming from this beer.

Upfront slightly sweet chocolate taste is first noticed that lead into some vanilla flavor coming through. In between I get some oatmeal with some coffee and a slight bourbon undertone that is really not that noticeable. Overall very smooth throughout.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with average carbonation. Smooth taste all throughout.

My impression of this beer is that it is a very good stout and deserves the praise and hype it gets. The only thing I would have though was that it would have a more prominent bourbon flavor as others have mentioned.

Maybe the best beer I have ever had. Only beer at the LI festival I went back to for seconds. The pour was inky black with a bit of a tan head. You could smell rich chocolate and coffee. You could definitely taste elements of the bourbon oak barrels. In addition to the chocolate and coffee you could taste some vanilla. None of the flavors were overpowering and you could taste the different layers of flavor in each sip.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

I have been on BA for a while and have been a BA for much longer. I have finaly desided to make my first reviue.
A- This beer is a beauty, very dark very thick and from my pour the dark tan head will reapear with a swirll of the glass every time.
S- I am drinking this from a Chimey chalis and to get good draw I have to cup the top of the glass. It is a very sweet and moacha chino with a touch of whiskey.
T-It is soooo gooood. To me the the un sung hero that I have not seen in any other reviues is the Chocolate and vanilla. Coffee and the whiskey heat in the finish, so balanced between all the flavors the 70ibu. is not even noticable.
M- The mouth feel is so velvety it is like melted chocolate I dont get oily or viscos at all
gd this beer is good.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

3/27
Appearance - Pours pitch black with a short-lived brown head. The beer itself leaves no lacing behind. Faint mahogany fringes.
Smell - Intense roasted coffee, smoke.
Taste - Roasted coffee, smoke, slight cocoa note, enjoyable bourbon presence adds to the harmony of flavors rather than dominating. Delicious finish of vanilla and oak.
Mouthfeel - Very smooth with a luscious thickness. Well carbonated.
Drinkability - Very slow sipper, very filling and rich, but I would be happy to nurse this all night.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to jmu500 for this one.

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A: Pitch black dark with the darkest head I've ever seen. Pores fairly thick . No light gets through this one. The head is on par with the color of chocolate milk and coats the sides of the glass with nice lacing.

S: Wonderful strong smell here. Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, cream, and a touch of oatmeal all blend together for a stinging complex nose.

T: Coffee, roasted malts, and a nice layer of bourbon and vanilla all fill the tastebuds. My first bourbon aged stout, but this sets an enormous bar for the rest to come.

M: Rich with moderate to low carbonation. Would think this beer would be more creamy being a stout. A little thin, but surprisingly the bourbon kind of flows with this feel in my opinion.

D: From what I've read this one goes down very smooth. For me, the bourbon takes a little out of the drinkability. Warms up the stomach and nose during consumption.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally got my hands on a four-pack of this from my local eclectic beers shop, Lighthouse Beer and Wine. Love that place, and they definitely know their stuff. I walked in, asked if they had KBS, and the guy there nodded slowly, almost as if he didn't want me to buy it and was hoarding it for himself. Finally he said, "Fucking...Awesome." Of course I knew this. Scooped it on the spot.

Pours dark, dark, dark as the darkest evening you can imagine. Absolutely zero light filtration. I poured the damn thing nearly straight down, trying to get a semblance of a head on it, but no dice. This thing is HEAVY.

Wow, the smell...coffee, chocolate, so much malt, oatmeal, perhaps traces of fruitiness that reminds me of chocolate-covered cherries or something along those lines.

The taste was like no beer I have ever consumed, and I doubt I'll encounter an equal any time in the future. So much going on. Sweet, yet...not. The first taste is almost milk-chocolatey, and there's a lot of sweetness. But it finishes with a slight bitterness, much like a cup of good coffee. Your tastebuds yearn for more right after you swallow.

Not much carbonation, but there's so much going on that it would be hard to ask for more bubbles. It's very smooth, and it goes down quite easily. Perhaps a little aftertaste of bourbon as the beer begins to warm, which only makes it better.

Worth the hype.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Big thanks to Dunt for throwing this one in as an EXTRA!!! Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Motor oil! A small tan head that quickly disappears. Some lacing left behind.

S- Coffee and bourban as to be expected. Some caramel and molasses.

T- Coffee out the gate. Then the bourbon steps to the plate, not overpowering though. It doesn't drown out the other flavors in the beer. I still get some vanilla and molasses. As it warms I believe the bourbon flavor becomes stronger, however, it's still not overwhelming.

M- Thick and creamy. A little burn in the throat.

D- I could easily drink a 4 pk without even thinking about it. I'm sure the ABV would creep up on me though.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

2010 release

A: pours black, completely opaque... most opaque beer I have ever seen in fact. small dark tan head with really good lacing.

S: Big coffee aroma that gives way to bourbon and roasted malt, There is a good dose of chocolate in there as well. Im gettin a bunch of really dark dried fruits. reminds me of burnt raison oatmeal cookies with coffee for desert. Im also gettin a smoky campfire and licorice

T: This beer is hugely sweet right from the get go. There is a great malt presence that is in danger of getting overlooked due to the bourbon flavors. Lots of rich roasted malt, burnt bread and coffee from the malt. The actual coffee that was present in the aroma is takes a back seat in the flavor which seems odd cause you would think the aromatic property would be the first to drop off. The benchmark and profile of this beer lies in the bourbon. there is a huge bourbon flavor that is very strong but it doesn't mask everything else, there is a real complexity to this beer. Finally as you swallow and take that first breath you're hid with a nice alcohol warming and flavor. its not harsh or overbearing like i feared, it just makes for a nice warming affect. I wish this beer was released in the fall and not the spring, just seems like a camp fire beer to me (to each his own)

M: With the appearance and sweetness of this beer you'd expect you could cut it with a knife, but its surprisingly short of chewy... now that being said, its still full bodied just not as chewy as i had anticipated

D: If you define drinkability as how many you can suck down in ten minutes then cross this off the list. For me drinkability is synonymous with enjoyability. And this one's up there. Its a solid A beer, Its not my favorite beer, and I can't see drinking it all the time but it definitely deserves a spot in the cellar... vertical serious would be real cool.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass. It poured a deep black color with a slight amount of deep brown head. The aroma was all bourbon and all coffee. The taste was powered by bourbon. It had a nice balance of bourbon playing off the dark malts. The coffee was a little subdued compared to the aroma. The overall complexity of the flavor was incredible. As I mentioned the bourbon was in the driver's seat, but there were so many flavors present it was hard to comprehend. Overall an incredible brew. I was a little worried because of the hype that I would be disspointed, but it lived up to the hype.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Thick black pour with minimal light brown head that fades quickly. Dark brown at the edges. Minimal "small bubbles" lacing.

S: Kahlua, fresh roasted coffee and vanilla. Lots of chocolate milkshake as well. Bourbon is also present. It smells like some sort of chocolaty dessert. Smells like heaven.

T: Very complex, many different layers of flavor....Heavily creamed coffee (not over powering though) and lots of vanilla. Some oats, dark rich chocolate, brown sugar and carmel near the end and a crazy strong bourbon finish. Coffee is less evident in the taste, bourbon is more pronounced. The taste of bourbon and dark, creamy chocolate linger on the palate for a very long time. Going to come back to this one once I have some more reviews under me.

M/D: Full bodied, thick and very rich. Lower carbonation, silky smooth. Definitely a sipper due to the high abv and bourbon aftertaste. It probably took me a good 30-45 min to finish. It is very very drinkable though for being so heavy and rich.

* Have had this many times now since my original review, all with anywhere from 2-8 months of age on it and I gotta say, I prefer it fresh.

3.86/5  rDev -15.4%

On draft at Monk's. Pours jet black, small mocha head. Rich bitter chocolate and coffee aroma, vanilla and bourbon. Unfortunately, flavor is very boozy with a bit too much bourbon. I may be in the minority, but this is my least favorite of the three (Canadian, regular, then Kentucky).

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Oh, time to review this I guess. I've had the 08 and 09 at a tasting and a few bottles of the 2010 edition. Cracking a 2010 now, into chouffe tulip.

A- Dark dark roast, head is nutmeg brown and thick as they come. Settles to 1 finger after the pour and laced thickly. Really appealing pour on this one.

S- Vanilla, caramel, bourbon, heavily creamed coffee. Delightful.

T- Follows the nose. Caramel is strong, as is a smooth as butter bourbon note. Creamed coffee and a bit of cola come through. A bit of a hop bite does a great job of breaking up the sweet, rich flavors that come through in the front. I really like how the bourbon is incorporated but allows other notes to come through

M- Perfection. 11.2%? So smooth, great carbonation (low, where it should be) and a full, amazing mouthfeel.

D- High, ABV in mind. A delight to drink, worthy of its place in the top 100 and all the buzz surrounding it. A perfect bourbon beer.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Every now and then this little town gets some good stuff.

Absolutly no head during the pour, only around the sides

Smell seems to be weak but the taste packs a punch. Bourbon, yes I can taste it. You can feel the complelxity of all the notes but in unison.

This deserves a spot on the boards.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a massively dark used oil black with a one finger thin bubble head. Terrific in appearance, can't be any better.

Oats, bourbon, dark chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, vanilla and much more. Such a complex smelling beer, once again, can't be any better.

Wow, this beer is amazing. Huge bourbon and coffee flavors up front. Oats come through in the finish as well as big dark chocolate flavors. Such a complex beer, the bourbon is strong, but not overwhelming, everything just seems to work together in great harmony.

Mouthfeel is big and rich, medium carbonation with flavor that just seems to linger on the tongue for hours.

Very drinkable for such an enormous beer. Not going to lie, this ranks very high on my list of all time favorites.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Happy to find this on the bottle list on a visit yesterday to Brews Cafe in Granville. Along with finding Founders BB Imperial Stout, this was quite a good trip.

Appearance- Pours the usual opaque black with the thinnest sheet of dark brown head across the top. Head is gone to nothing shortly thereafter, though it appears minimal carbonation remains.

Smell- Lots of bourbon and coffee just like I was expecting. Huge notes of vanilla and rich dark roast coffee primarily that are well integrated. Finished off with just a whiff of sharp alcohol.

Taste- Very similar to the nose but I found the bourbon to come more forward than the coffee. Starts out with strong notes of vanilla and wood. Followed up with burnt, bitter coffee. Again, finishes with a bit of astringency and some sharp alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was decent if leaning a touch towards the thin side as the carbonation died with the warming of the beer. Didn't really take away too much. However, in terms of drinkability for the style, I found it a bit hard to get this down towards the end of the glass primarily due to the alcohol with I felt showed through fairly strong.

Overall, a very good barrel-aged beer. However, I don't think I could have done more than one of these. Also, it is worth noting that I had this against the BB Imperial Stout, and I greatly preferred the latter. This is definitely worth a shot though and would probably benefit from some aging.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

served on-tap at Flying Saucer: Kansas City, MO, into a tulip glass

Pours what appears to be a jet black but scrutiny when held to light reveals it to be a very dark brown akin to the color of woodstain. 1/2 finger of lightly tan head forms with pretty soapy lacing that doesn't cling all that well.

Make no mistake -- despite the bourbon this beer is still in the Breakfast Stout family. The coffee aromas coming out of the glass are enormous. BA member turamarth turned to me and said that it smells like a mocha. Yeah, pretty much. Lots of sweetness -- vanilla, oak, coffee-flavored candies. Not so much chocolate as just a sense of maltiness. The bourbon manifests itself subtly as a kiss of alcohol on the deep inhalations. I can haz candle plz?

There is a lot of unique things going on here wrt the taste. The coffee isn't as strong as the nose suggests and the bourbon is stronger than the nose suggests. The bourbon isn't hot or overwhelming; it just adds roundness and sweetness to what the roasted malts are already doing. There is a greater presence of dark fruits in this draught version of the beer than in the bottled incarnation. Light touches of green hickory wood and a vanilla/milk sweetness add dimension and dynamism. The toffee flavors here are much stronger than in the bottle. The draught KBS has a lot more of the barrel taste within it.

Mouthfeel is thicker on-tap than the 2010 bottled version. It still isn't super-thick but it is certainly thickER. It is supremely drinkable, relatively speaking. You are drawn, commanded, to further sips. And KBS is ever-so accommodating. The high ABV% of 11.2% keeps the score from being a 5.0

KBS is slightly different on tap but no less delicious. Founders knows what the Hell to do with a stout, that's for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured the 12 oz 2010 bottle into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Jet black with dark brown hues. It poured with a thick milk chocolate head that died to a film and lace quickly.
S: Dark chocolate, molasses, raisins, raspberries, brandy, and oak... the aroma is very sweet with present alcohol. Wow.
T: Oatmeal and milk chocolate, bourbon vanilla, all with fruity raisin and blackberry oak. The alcohol lingers--as opposed to the usual charred flavors of stouts--like a shot of bourbon and rum. Really... my lips are burning from alcohol just as if I took a shot.
M: Mildly syrupy with a very frothy and creamy feel. Not bad.
D: Difficult. One would really be enough.

My final rating probably doesn't do this one justice. I'd put it up there with the best of imperial stouts.

EDIT: Changed "drinkability" score to reflect overall score, which is much higher. This was done with a live review on 03/16/11.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

I was lucky enough to get some of this while in Wisconsin. It sells out very quickly.

I poured this into a tulip glass and saw a very dark head that left a ring around the edge of the glass only.

The initial waft was possibly the strongest smelling beer I have ever had. That went away quickly. I think it was alcohol esters with bourbon. The final nose is charred wood, boiled down coffee and vanilla. However, a swirl of the contents continues to release intense aroma.

Taste is very complex with coffee, dark chocolate some malts, but not that roasted, vanilla and sweet. I did not notice much bourbon flavor. The aftertaste is slightly bitter yet sweet.

Very, very appealing. I see why everybody goes crazy for these. It is not hard to drink at all. The mouth feel and body was not as heavy as I thought it would be. This is a top stout, hard to beat.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lucky enough to score a couple 4pks yesterday. Worried that it wouldn't live up to the hype. No longer worried.

Poured into a snifter. Black just doesn't seem to adequately describe it. I imagine it is not unlike a deep ocean abyss. 1/2 inch head the color of peanut butter fudge. Beautiful.

The smell is quite simply the best I have ever encountered. Rich, freshly brewed coffee, dark chocolate, oak and just a hint of bourbon.

The taste is what had me worried. I have limited experience with bourbon aged beers, finding most of them too sweet for my liking. This is completely different. The balance here is incredible. The coffee is obvious, as is the chocolate. You then begin to pick up the subtle bourbon notes, along with vanilla, all countered nicely by a slight alcohol burn. I enjoy my bourbon straight, on the rocks, so I didn't find the bourbon here to be overpowering at all.

Incredible in the mouth. Thick, but smooth. Very lush with a perfect almost dry finish.

Amazingly drinkable beer for such ABV. I think I will go get more of this, 8 (now 7) may not be enough.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Grynder33 for hooking me up with this beyond-delicious brew.

I am frequently at a loss for words when confronted with a beer of this magnitude and pedigree. This is no exception.

G - Delirium tulip

A - Blacker than my dog, the Piggy. And she is really super black. And it looks as demonic and menacing as her too. Except she has a head, and it doesn't. Furthering the inane comparison, it is surprisingly nice.

S - It smells of real Irish cream like my Grandparents made from scratch; also of Kahlua, bitter cocoa and seriously good coffee, roasting, not brewed.

T - Dark chocolate covered espresso beans, Kahlua, dark roasted coffee, bitter cocoa, vanilla on the finish. An unbelievable flavor. All stouts in the discussion of the goodness have most or all of the elements and nuances; but this one is amazing in the fusion and confluence of the impressions. This is a flavor that is beyond superb. So worthy of the hype. Oh, and the Bourbon, it is amazing. I've had many a whiskey-aged brew, this is top of the heap for the treatment.

M - Very thick and rich mouthfeel, with a syrupy viscosity which is appropriate and a dry bitter dark roast finish.

D - Breakfast? What about lunch and dinner? Not to mention snacks...

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company