Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,474 |  Reviews: 3,189
3.5/5  rDev -23.2%

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

CreepinJeeper sent this one over to me, just 'cause he's a nice guy. He also threw in a BCBCS, can you believe that? I had to go out and buy a snifter. This one's been covered to no end so I'll keep this short.

This beer is DARK! Smells that way too. I'm surprised at the bitterness, but I feel like I shouldn't be... beer + coffee + bourbon... I knew what I was getting myself into. I've had BBA stouts, and I've had Coffee stouts - but I almost wonder if this isn't too much for me - maybe I'm not worthy, but I don't think I've ever had a DIPA that struck me as this bitter. I certainly need to take my time with it, and that's just fine, I have work to do (I'm not going to get much of it done). The flavor here is BIG, very complex. The alcohol hangs out in the liner notes, but makes itself known. Warm, that would be my one word descriptor. Should have saved it for winter, but that's so far away, and I just bought a snifter.

In closing, this is like a cascade of whiskey barrels rolling down the back of my throat while coffeed-up Mario jumps over them to ascend the esophagus and strangle my tongue . There you have it - that last bit was for those who have been whining about the flowery language of beer reviews.

KBS - try it - it just might kick your ass.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company