Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,552 |  Reviews: 3,206
3.77/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Cellared for six months, I found it overall not very impressive. Lacked the strong bourbon flavors I was hoping for; maybe I'm just in the "fresh is best" camp, though I haven't had the chance to try it fresh.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Have had at tap room and in bottle many times. Top end barrel aged stout for sure. A must try !

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at Founders and from the bottle more recently. Basically a perfect beer all around with great pitch black look, bourbon and chocolate smell and perfectly balanced coffee/chocolate/bourbon flavor and thick MF you'd expect for the style. Outside of CBS, I don't know that I've had a better beer.

4.88/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

3.29/5  rDev -27.9%

Truth be told, I am not a fan of Bourbon stouts because I don't like to drink hard liquor. To me, a beer should taste like a beer, not like anything else. The bourbon flavor is overwhelming. I know that some people love this stout, but I'm not a fan. I would much rather have something smooth and creamy that doesn't assault my taste buds with alcohol. My brother paid something like $30 for a 4 pack of this and I don't feel it is worth the money. Again, I'm not a fan of hard liquor, just beer.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.37/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.24/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.44/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I could literally fill myself up drinking this for breakfast, assuming I'm not doing much else that morning. Rich, thick, dense, black as sin, and decent foam on medium carbonation, the texture of a great beastly stout is there. And it gets better once you sip it. This is, for my money, the superior big brother of CBS, and while it shares textural qualities, it's a different animal and, aside from being easier to find, my preferred brew.

Not overtly chocolatey, but plenty of cocoa and coffee for sure, which keeps it from being overwhelmingly sweet. The bitterness of the flavor works here better than any stout I've had before, I think. There's also a mesmerizingly chalky, tannic texture to the bitterness brought on by the cocoa and oak - what I assume is charred oak from the smokey smell that, mixed with a hint of vanilla, makes me dream of this beer days later. God, there's so much going on in this beer that it's hard to say much else besides "drink the dang stuff!"

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark chocolate color, has a nice aroma of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. The flavor follows the aroma but its very smooth. This is a very flavorful beer that drinks incredibly sooth for how heavy it culd be

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle courtesy of LehighAce06. No bottling or “best by” date, but it’s the 2015 vintage according to the label. This was a longtime want.

Poured into an Iron Goat snifter, this was inky black and quite viscous looking as it poured out of the bottle. There was a modest tan head that dropped quickly, which was not a surprise given this beer’s potency, but a collar of tan foam remained afterwards. The lace reminds me of pictures of distant clumps of trees on the African Savannah.

Boozy and sweet aroma, in that order. It smells like a dessert. Although the label boasts of 70 IBUs, no hop aroma seems able to cut through the scents given off by the dark malts, bourbon, chocolate and coffee.

This beer tastes rich and decadent. Chocolate and bourbon lead the assault on the taste buds. The coffee flavor is more subdued, kicking in after the initial flavor blast and providing a kind of backbone of rich bitterness to the sweeter aspects. There’s a big, boozy undercurrent here. It doesn’t exactly dominate things, but it keeps you aware at all times that this is a BIG beer. Slight dry, hoppy zap at the swallow, but that’s about the extent of any standout hop character.

Full bodied, with a rich, sticky, coating, velvety mouthfeel.

God, I love this beer! It’s great after a late breakfast and coffee, but would be amazing after a dinner or as a nightcap. Going forward, my problem is that I’ll have to trade or do more BIFs just to get this beer again. Thanks, Kevin!

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This beer lived up to its billing.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company