Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,048 | Ratings: 11,927
4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

3/27
Appearance - Pours pitch black with a short-lived brown head. The beer itself leaves no lacing behind. Faint mahogany fringes.
Smell - Intense roasted coffee, smoke.
Taste - Roasted coffee, smoke, slight cocoa note, enjoyable bourbon presence adds to the harmony of flavors rather than dominating. Delicious finish of vanilla and oak.
Mouthfeel - Very smooth with a luscious thickness. Well carbonated.
Drinkability - Very slow sipper, very filling and rich, but I would be happy to nurse this all night.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to jmu500 for this one.

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A: Pitch black dark with the darkest head I've ever seen. Pores fairly thick . No light gets through this one. The head is on par with the color of chocolate milk and coats the sides of the glass with nice lacing.

S: Wonderful strong smell here. Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, cream, and a touch of oatmeal all blend together for a stinging complex nose.

T: Coffee, roasted malts, and a nice layer of bourbon and vanilla all fill the tastebuds. My first bourbon aged stout, but this sets an enormous bar for the rest to come.

M: Rich with moderate to low carbonation. Would think this beer would be more creamy being a stout. A little thin, but surprisingly the bourbon kind of flows with this feel in my opinion.

D: From what I've read this one goes down very smooth. For me, the bourbon takes a little out of the drinkability. Warms up the stomach and nose during consumption.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I finally got my hands on a four-pack of this from my local eclectic beers shop, Lighthouse Beer and Wine. Love that place, and they definitely know their stuff. I walked in, asked if they had KBS, and the guy there nodded slowly, almost as if he didn't want me to buy it and was hoarding it for himself. Finally he said, "Fucking...Awesome." Of course I knew this. Scooped it on the spot.

Pours dark, dark, dark as the darkest evening you can imagine. Absolutely zero light filtration. I poured the damn thing nearly straight down, trying to get a semblance of a head on it, but no dice. This thing is HEAVY.

Wow, the smell...coffee, chocolate, so much malt, oatmeal, perhaps traces of fruitiness that reminds me of chocolate-covered cherries or something along those lines.

The taste was like no beer I have ever consumed, and I doubt I'll encounter an equal any time in the future. So much going on. Sweet, yet...not. The first taste is almost milk-chocolatey, and there's a lot of sweetness. But it finishes with a slight bitterness, much like a cup of good coffee. Your tastebuds yearn for more right after you swallow.

Not much carbonation, but there's so much going on that it would be hard to ask for more bubbles. It's very smooth, and it goes down quite easily. Perhaps a little aftertaste of bourbon as the beer begins to warm, which only makes it better.

Worth the hype.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Big thanks to Dunt for throwing this one in as an EXTRA!!! Poured into a CCB snifter.

A- Motor oil! A small tan head that quickly disappears. Some lacing left behind.

S- Coffee and bourban as to be expected. Some caramel and molasses.

T- Coffee out the gate. Then the bourbon steps to the plate, not overpowering though. It doesn't drown out the other flavors in the beer. I still get some vanilla and molasses. As it warms I believe the bourbon flavor becomes stronger, however, it's still not overwhelming.

M- Thick and creamy. A little burn in the throat.

D- I could easily drink a 4 pk without even thinking about it. I'm sure the ABV would creep up on me though.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

2010 release

A: pours black, completely opaque... most opaque beer I have ever seen in fact. small dark tan head with really good lacing.

S: Big coffee aroma that gives way to bourbon and roasted malt, There is a good dose of chocolate in there as well. Im gettin a bunch of really dark dried fruits. reminds me of burnt raison oatmeal cookies with coffee for desert. Im also gettin a smoky campfire and licorice

T: This beer is hugely sweet right from the get go. There is a great malt presence that is in danger of getting overlooked due to the bourbon flavors. Lots of rich roasted malt, burnt bread and coffee from the malt. The actual coffee that was present in the aroma is takes a back seat in the flavor which seems odd cause you would think the aromatic property would be the first to drop off. The benchmark and profile of this beer lies in the bourbon. there is a huge bourbon flavor that is very strong but it doesn't mask everything else, there is a real complexity to this beer. Finally as you swallow and take that first breath you're hid with a nice alcohol warming and flavor. its not harsh or overbearing like i feared, it just makes for a nice warming affect. I wish this beer was released in the fall and not the spring, just seems like a camp fire beer to me (to each his own)

M: With the appearance and sweetness of this beer you'd expect you could cut it with a knife, but its surprisingly short of chewy... now that being said, its still full bodied just not as chewy as i had anticipated

D: If you define drinkability as how many you can suck down in ten minutes then cross this off the list. For me drinkability is synonymous with enjoyability. And this one's up there. Its a solid A beer, Its not my favorite beer, and I can't see drinking it all the time but it definitely deserves a spot in the cellar... vertical serious would be real cool.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into a Dogfish Head Signature Glass. It poured a deep black color with a slight amount of deep brown head. The aroma was all bourbon and all coffee. The taste was powered by bourbon. It had a nice balance of bourbon playing off the dark malts. The coffee was a little subdued compared to the aroma. The overall complexity of the flavor was incredible. As I mentioned the bourbon was in the driver's seat, but there were so many flavors present it was hard to comprehend. Overall an incredible brew. I was a little worried because of the hype that I would be disspointed, but it lived up to the hype.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

A: Thick black pour with minimal light brown head that fades quickly. Dark brown at the edges. Minimal "small bubbles" lacing.

S: Kahlua, fresh roasted coffee and vanilla. Lots of chocolate milkshake as well. Bourbon is also present. It smells like some sort of chocolaty dessert. Smells like heaven.

T: Very complex, many different layers of flavor....Heavily creamed coffee (not over powering though) and lots of vanilla. Some oats, dark rich chocolate, brown sugar and carmel near the end and a crazy strong bourbon finish. Coffee is less evident in the taste, bourbon is more pronounced. The taste of bourbon and dark, creamy chocolate linger on the palate for a very long time. Going to come back to this one once I have some more reviews under me.

M/D: Full bodied, thick and very rich. Lower carbonation, silky smooth. Definitely a sipper due to the high abv and bourbon aftertaste. It probably took me a good 30-45 min to finish. It is very very drinkable though for being so heavy and rich.

* Have had this many times now since my original review, all with anywhere from 2-8 months of age on it and I gotta say, I prefer it fresh.

3.86/5  rDev -15.4%

On draft at Monk's. Pours jet black, small mocha head. Rich bitter chocolate and coffee aroma, vanilla and bourbon. Unfortunately, flavor is very boozy with a bit too much bourbon. I may be in the minority, but this is my least favorite of the three (Canadian, regular, then Kentucky).

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Oh, time to review this I guess. I've had the 08 and 09 at a tasting and a few bottles of the 2010 edition. Cracking a 2010 now, into chouffe tulip.

A- Dark dark roast, head is nutmeg brown and thick as they come. Settles to 1 finger after the pour and laced thickly. Really appealing pour on this one.

S- Vanilla, caramel, bourbon, heavily creamed coffee. Delightful.

T- Follows the nose. Caramel is strong, as is a smooth as butter bourbon note. Creamed coffee and a bit of cola come through. A bit of a hop bite does a great job of breaking up the sweet, rich flavors that come through in the front. I really like how the bourbon is incorporated but allows other notes to come through

M- Perfection. 11.2%? So smooth, great carbonation (low, where it should be) and a full, amazing mouthfeel.

D- High, ABV in mind. A delight to drink, worthy of its place in the top 100 and all the buzz surrounding it. A perfect bourbon beer.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Every now and then this little town gets some good stuff.

Absolutly no head during the pour, only around the sides

Smell seems to be weak but the taste packs a punch. Bourbon, yes I can taste it. You can feel the complelxity of all the notes but in unison.

This deserves a spot on the boards.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours a massively dark used oil black with a one finger thin bubble head. Terrific in appearance, can't be any better.

Oats, bourbon, dark chocolate, roasted malts, cocoa, vanilla and much more. Such a complex smelling beer, once again, can't be any better.

Wow, this beer is amazing. Huge bourbon and coffee flavors up front. Oats come through in the finish as well as big dark chocolate flavors. Such a complex beer, the bourbon is strong, but not overwhelming, everything just seems to work together in great harmony.

Mouthfeel is big and rich, medium carbonation with flavor that just seems to linger on the tongue for hours.

Very drinkable for such an enormous beer. Not going to lie, this ranks very high on my list of all time favorites.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Happy to find this on the bottle list on a visit yesterday to Brews Cafe in Granville. Along with finding Founders BB Imperial Stout, this was quite a good trip.

Appearance- Pours the usual opaque black with the thinnest sheet of dark brown head across the top. Head is gone to nothing shortly thereafter, though it appears minimal carbonation remains.

Smell- Lots of bourbon and coffee just like I was expecting. Huge notes of vanilla and rich dark roast coffee primarily that are well integrated. Finished off with just a whiff of sharp alcohol.

Taste- Very similar to the nose but I found the bourbon to come more forward than the coffee. Starts out with strong notes of vanilla and wood. Followed up with burnt, bitter coffee. Again, finishes with a bit of astringency and some sharp alcohol.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel was decent if leaning a touch towards the thin side as the carbonation died with the warming of the beer. Didn't really take away too much. However, in terms of drinkability for the style, I found it a bit hard to get this down towards the end of the glass primarily due to the alcohol with I felt showed through fairly strong.

Overall, a very good barrel-aged beer. However, I don't think I could have done more than one of these. Also, it is worth noting that I had this against the BB Imperial Stout, and I greatly preferred the latter. This is definitely worth a shot though and would probably benefit from some aging.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

served on-tap at Flying Saucer: Kansas City, MO, into a tulip glass

Pours what appears to be a jet black but scrutiny when held to light reveals it to be a very dark brown akin to the color of woodstain. 1/2 finger of lightly tan head forms with pretty soapy lacing that doesn't cling all that well.

Make no mistake -- despite the bourbon this beer is still in the Breakfast Stout family. The coffee aromas coming out of the glass are enormous. BA member turamarth turned to me and said that it smells like a mocha. Yeah, pretty much. Lots of sweetness -- vanilla, oak, coffee-flavored candies. Not so much chocolate as just a sense of maltiness. The bourbon manifests itself subtly as a kiss of alcohol on the deep inhalations. I can haz candle plz?

There is a lot of unique things going on here wrt the taste. The coffee isn't as strong as the nose suggests and the bourbon is stronger than the nose suggests. The bourbon isn't hot or overwhelming; it just adds roundness and sweetness to what the roasted malts are already doing. There is a greater presence of dark fruits in this draught version of the beer than in the bottled incarnation. Light touches of green hickory wood and a vanilla/milk sweetness add dimension and dynamism. The toffee flavors here are much stronger than in the bottle. The draught KBS has a lot more of the barrel taste within it.

Mouthfeel is thicker on-tap than the 2010 bottled version. It still isn't super-thick but it is certainly thickER. It is supremely drinkable, relatively speaking. You are drawn, commanded, to further sips. And KBS is ever-so accommodating. The high ABV% of 11.2% keeps the score from being a 5.0

KBS is slightly different on tap but no less delicious. Founders knows what the Hell to do with a stout, that's for sure.

4.74/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured the 12 oz 2010 bottle into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Jet black with dark brown hues. It poured with a thick milk chocolate head that died to a film and lace quickly.
S: Dark chocolate, molasses, raisins, raspberries, brandy, and oak... the aroma is very sweet with present alcohol. Wow.
T: Oatmeal and milk chocolate, bourbon vanilla, all with fruity raisin and blackberry oak. The alcohol lingers--as opposed to the usual charred flavors of stouts--like a shot of bourbon and rum. Really... my lips are burning from alcohol just as if I took a shot.
M: Mildly syrupy with a very frothy and creamy feel. Not bad.
D: Difficult. One would really be enough.

My final rating probably doesn't do this one justice. I'd put it up there with the best of imperial stouts.

EDIT: Changed "drinkability" score to reflect overall score, which is much higher. This was done with a live review on 03/16/11.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

I was lucky enough to get some of this while in Wisconsin. It sells out very quickly.

I poured this into a tulip glass and saw a very dark head that left a ring around the edge of the glass only.

The initial waft was possibly the strongest smelling beer I have ever had. That went away quickly. I think it was alcohol esters with bourbon. The final nose is charred wood, boiled down coffee and vanilla. However, a swirl of the contents continues to release intense aroma.

Taste is very complex with coffee, dark chocolate some malts, but not that roasted, vanilla and sweet. I did not notice much bourbon flavor. The aftertaste is slightly bitter yet sweet.

Very, very appealing. I see why everybody goes crazy for these. It is not hard to drink at all. The mouth feel and body was not as heavy as I thought it would be. This is a top stout, hard to beat.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Lucky enough to score a couple 4pks yesterday. Worried that it wouldn't live up to the hype. No longer worried.

Poured into a snifter. Black just doesn't seem to adequately describe it. I imagine it is not unlike a deep ocean abyss. 1/2 inch head the color of peanut butter fudge. Beautiful.

The smell is quite simply the best I have ever encountered. Rich, freshly brewed coffee, dark chocolate, oak and just a hint of bourbon.

The taste is what had me worried. I have limited experience with bourbon aged beers, finding most of them too sweet for my liking. This is completely different. The balance here is incredible. The coffee is obvious, as is the chocolate. You then begin to pick up the subtle bourbon notes, along with vanilla, all countered nicely by a slight alcohol burn. I enjoy my bourbon straight, on the rocks, so I didn't find the bourbon here to be overpowering at all.

Incredible in the mouth. Thick, but smooth. Very lush with a perfect almost dry finish.

Amazingly drinkable beer for such ABV. I think I will go get more of this, 8 (now 7) may not be enough.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to Grynder33 for hooking me up with this beyond-delicious brew.

I am frequently at a loss for words when confronted with a beer of this magnitude and pedigree. This is no exception.

G - Delirium tulip

A - Blacker than my dog, the Piggy. And she is really super black. And it looks as demonic and menacing as her too. Except she has a head, and it doesn't. Furthering the inane comparison, it is surprisingly nice.

S - It smells of real Irish cream like my Grandparents made from scratch; also of Kahlua, bitter cocoa and seriously good coffee, roasting, not brewed.

T - Dark chocolate covered espresso beans, Kahlua, dark roasted coffee, bitter cocoa, vanilla on the finish. An unbelievable flavor. All stouts in the discussion of the goodness have most or all of the elements and nuances; but this one is amazing in the fusion and confluence of the impressions. This is a flavor that is beyond superb. So worthy of the hype. Oh, and the Bourbon, it is amazing. I've had many a whiskey-aged brew, this is top of the heap for the treatment.

M - Very thick and rich mouthfeel, with a syrupy viscosity which is appropriate and a dry bitter dark roast finish.

D - Breakfast? What about lunch and dinner? Not to mention snacks...

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours pitch black with very little layer tan head. No real lacing but the thin layer sticks around.

Huge aroma of straight bourbon, could smell it a few feet away from the glass. Also hints of roasted malts.

Taste smacks you in the face with the strong bourbon flavor, yet it's just the right amount. For the big alcohol profile and flavor, this goes down smooth and warm. This is definitely a sipper.

This is the perfect beer when kicking back at night on the couch, but one or two will be the limit.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Heard about this one on the forums and was lucky enough to pick up two bottles at WWS.

A- Dark, chocolaty, thick looking beer that pours with a brown head that dissipates away quickly. This is a case where you can judge a book by its cover. This beer *looks* formidable.

S- Initial smell is of bourbon on the top and coffee and dark bitter cocoa on the bottom. The smell of bourbon predominates once you start drinking.

T- Rich thick flavor. Nice blend of the bitter cocoa and coffee bean tastes set up with the sharp sweet bourbon flavors. Finish leaves lingering sharp bourbon taste.

M- Velvety as it rolls around in your mouth after the initial light carbonation fizzes away. This beer feels luxurious.

D- This is an 11.5% beer and it feels it. It's definitely a beer you want to savor while spending the evening sitting in your favorite leather chair thinking about how good life can be.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

Been waiting a week to pour this guy, since I was sick when I first purchased.
2010 vintage poured into a Stone IRS tulip.

A-Thick pour, as black as you're going to get in color. A finger of tan head that fades surprisingly quickly.

S-Coffee and bourbon dominate the aroma. Coffee almost overpowering. Hints of chocolate and vanilla.

T-Happy to say the coffee wasn't overpowering like it was in the aroma. The bourbon is great here, adds awesome flavor, not hot at all until it hits your throat. Chocolate, caramel, and wood come in nicely. It's not overly complex, just blended and balanced perfectly.

M-Very big body. Carb is medium, great for the style. Great aftertaste as well. Just makes me wanna sip it more.

D-ABV is barely present. Big body, but still smooth. It's a sipper, but a fast one.

I'm not a huge fan of coffee in my beer, but this one hits the spot. It's so perfectly crafted, how could I not love it?

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours a deep black, no light getting through this at all. Forms a tan head that is not quite an inch thick, which reduces down to some nice lacing.

There's a lot going on in the smell. Coffee seems to be the main scent here, but there is also chocolate and vanilla, can also smell the alcohol.

This is one complex beer. There's coffee, there's chocolate, there's vanilla. There's flavors I can't readily identify, likely a lot is the bourbon, but since I am not familiar with that taste, I can only assume that is. Nice warming at the finish.

The feel is good and solid, just what I expected. This is one solid, serious beer.

Considering the strength, this is a very drinkable beer. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5 is the bitterness in the aftertaste. I am not a fan of a lot of bitter flavor, but that is personal preference. Overall this is an amazing beer, layers of flavor, and one of the best I have tasted.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at the Brickskeller in DC last night.

Founders makes some impressive looking stouts and this is no exception. Jet black with a dense, thick, dark brown head with great retention and lacing, this is one gorgeous beer. The nose is similar to my experience with this beer out of a bottle, but a little different. There's copious amounts of coffee and chocolate, with plenty of roasted malt, but there's also a more pronounced bourbon character, with a pleasant, welcome booziness and some vanilla. Caramel character is low. The palate is quite the whopper. Big coffee and chocolate up front with plenty of roasted malt bitterness. The coffee is big, with plenty of espresso character, and coupled with the medium-full body, it just feels like one. Bourbon is quite prominent as well, with heat and vanilla present. Bitter chocolate and coffee are present on the finish, along with a boozy heat. Pretty solid stuff, I drank about 20oz of it and could have gone for another glass.

**Edit 07 Sept 2015. 08 Vintage, old style label.

Coffee's faded, bourbon is noticeable but mellowed, bitter dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa, some raisin, port notes. Buckwheat honey. Palate has more of these flavors in harmonious balance. The lack of coffee makes this less glorious, but still, this is delicious. Just a shade thin in parts, this medium to full bodied beer is delicious. 4.5/4.25/4.25

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

2010
Pours out one of the darkest beers I've seen lately. Dark fudge color 2 finger head. This thing is unbreakable. Great retention, great lacing. Amazing looking beer.

The smell could overall be a bit stronger. You can really get an idea for the whiskey here. Other things I can pick up off the bat are chocolate, toasted malt, and vanilla.

The chocolate is abundant in the taste. Probably my favorite aspect of this beer. Another point of interest is the vanilla. From what I've been told, last years KBS was different in that it didn't have vanilla. Toasted malts, cocoa, bourbon, feint hops; the two strongest elements are the whiskey and the chocolate.

The mouthfeel is also spot on. Very rich. Full-bodied, wonderful creaminess. There is some heat from the alcohol, it might be easy to consider this too hot. I'm going to wait quite a while before I drink anymore of these

This beer is excellent, but the price is off-putting. I may enjoy this extremely, but there are many other beers for much less that I also enjoy extremely. I've seen some wallets pillaged for 14 dollars a bottle at the Dirty Truth in Northampton. The price and the hype don't make this beer any better than it is, which is good to keep in mind.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Appearance - Black with no light able to penetrate through. There was a small amount of tan head that settled down to just surrounding the edge of the glass within a minute.

Aroma - Initially I was hit with coffee and then sweet bourbon, chocolate, and some vanilla notes. In away it kind of reminds me of an Irish cream.

Taste - Well balanced, sweet and bitter with the taste of bourbon, warm alcohol, chocolate, vanilla, and coffee are also present here.

Mouth Feel - Smooth and creamy! Coats the mouth nicely and has the perfect amount of carbonization.

Drinkability - I would love to session this stuff but it is a tad expensive (but worth it) and it may be hard to walk after a few. This is something to save for special occasions, excellent beer!

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

2010 KBS

Big black body with a thin tan head that slowly reduces to a ring of foam around the glass. Light lacing is left behind.

A decent amount of bourbon on the nose, but not overpowering. The barrel wood comes through quite a bit, along with some well roasted coffee beans and dark rich malts. Some chocolate is present as well. One of the better bourbon stout aromas I've come across.

Bourbon soaked wood and roasted coffee roll across the tongue on the first sip. Lots of the barrel coming through, but the bourbon is actually much more toned down than I would have thought. Very well balanced. A touch of vanilla and some faint dark fruits (most likely from the bourbon). A little bit of astringency from the coffee, but evened out by a subtle chocolate presence. Rich and complex. The flavor is excellent and the bourbon is integrated well.

A smooth, creamy body adds points to the mouthfeel. Carbonation is about right. Slight warming from the alcohol and a bit of harshness from the wood and coffee beans.

One bottle is the perfect serving size. This is definitely a sipper, but quite drinkable for the style. The ABV is pretty well masked and the complexity and richness of the flavor make this very enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is probably one of the best, if not the best bourbon stouts I have had. Instead of knocking you over the head with bourbon, Founders does a really great job of balancing the barrel aging with the rest of the flavor profile. Lots of stuff going on with this one. This beer lives up to the hype and is worth the price. It will be hard to resist the other three I'm trying to age in my cellar. Once again, great job Founders!

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company