Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,158 | Ratings: 12,355
4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz Bottle received in trade with igeunard - 2012 edition

Appearance - Dark brown colour with a small size frothy light brown head. I can't make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 2-3 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, chocolate, coffee, bourbon

Taste & Mouth - There is a below average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, chocolate, and vanilla. There is also some coffee, wood, and some bourbon. There is also a bit of a nuttiness.

Overall - One of the best Imperial Stouts I have ever had. The chocolate flavours are very rich and you can tell they used high quality ingredients. It's bold yet well balanced and the alcohol is incredibly well hidden.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Enjoyed with grassrootsVT at 4 am after he helped me fix my toilet with a knife, a nail, and some silicon...
Appears a pitch black with a 2 finger high, tan head. Tons of lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of coffee grounds, cocoa, fresh espresso beans, roasted nuts, creamy vanilla.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with a huge nod to ground coffee and not enough of the oak, or bourbon going on as anticipated.
Mouthfeel is medium/full bodied, rich, huge coffee, sweet, creamy, with a grainy, biscuity feel in the swallow.
Personally, I enjoyed the regular Breakfast Stout more. Maybe it was the bottle? I've heard these have differed.
---
Edit - 5/4/09
I finally got this on tap at Capone's. Man, this was much better than what I remember it being in the bottle. Plenty of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and cocoa adding to the mocha. The draft version was top notch.
Bottle notes...
A - 4.5
S - 4.5
T - 4
M - 4
D - 4

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

I got this bottle in a trade with hoppymeal. Thanks Derek!

It pours from 12 oz bottle a near pitch black witha finger tannish head of thick creamy foam.

The smell is very *very* nice. Tons of bourbon, chocolate, coffee, dark fruit and toffee tickle my nose buds.

The taste on first sip gives me loads of chocolate and bourbon followed immediately by coffee and some dark fruit and a nice hot cocoa bitterness. Yum!

More sips in, and that's quite easy to do as this has great drinkablity, I find more of the same but this is anything but boring. I really can't believe how darn tasty yet smooth drinking it is. As for the abv, there's just some slight warming after the swallow and the mouthfeel? Thick and chewy and absolutely superb. One of the best I've had to date.

I'm *trying* to stretch this bottle out for as long as I can but my glass keeps beckoning me to take another sip and I just don't have the will power to say no. ;^) What a drinking experience I'm having here...Founder's really set a high standard for the style when they brewed this puppy.

Btw, the foam retention is *very* good and there's lots of lacing hugging the side of my glass. Another point to mention is the aftertaste. It lingers on for a like forever and I couldn't be happier. Again, Yum!

Bottom line: A world class brew that is worth seeking out again and again. In fact, it's going right back on my Wants list as I write this review....

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Aged in burbon barrels.

A: Dark viscose motor oil pour sits heavily in the vessel supporting a scant brownish-orange head that dissipates rather quickly.Dark and brooding.

S: Burbon laced burnt chocolate first arrives on the nose with a noticeable alcohol content that is pleasant and well mannered for its 11.0 abv nature. Burbon barrel woodiness comes through nicely, licorice, burnt barley and strong vanilla and cinnamon notes.

T: The flavor is thick chocolate slurry with a strong boozy burbon alcohol. Vanilla, cinnamon alcohol influence, burnt chocolate sweetness and barrel woodiness. A fade of alcohol heat comes with some dark fruit and burnt barley but the flavor is very smooth and silty like a campfire bitterness.

M: thick and creamy, viscose with a warming of alcohol glow. Burnt roasted chocolate bitterness warms the inner cheek and stays behind.

O: Im no fan of hard liquor but if I was burbon would be my choice of poison, just love the influence the burbon barrel aging on beers, especially a hearty stout. The alcohol is no slouch here, a heavy hand helping that compliments the thick viscose stout nature. Burbon and burnt chocolate works well together delivering a blast of bitterness to the taste buds. One bottle is memoriable, fulfilling, and worthy the wait.

Serving type: bottle at the South Philadelphia Taproom, Founders Event, Philly Beer Week 2007.

Bottle brought out as a surprise during Founders event at South Philadelphia Taproom. And what a surprise it was! Pours pitch black with thin coffee colored head. Excellent aroma which is dominated by bourbon and oak but not too much so that you cant't detect the chocolate and roasted coffee. I smelled this beer for several minutes before sampling it. This beer is very smooth considering it's complexity and ABV. Lots of bourbon and oak flavor, roasted coffee maltiness, vanilla, chocolate candi sugar and caramel. Excellent!

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 02/15/10.

(A)- Pours thick & as dark as the blackest night. Produced a frothy & large 3+ finger almost dark brown head with some good retention behind it. The head actually became a tan color as it finally settled to a light layer of froth on the surface. Left some legs of foam on the sides of the glass.

(S)- Dense aromas of coffee grounds, brown sugar, vanilla, molasses, dark chocolate, and light bits of wood. Rich & decadent. I could really smell this all day; a combination of all my most favorite smells rolled into one.

(T)- Exactly like the smell. Wonderful combo of coffee & chocolate with vanilla & brown sugar. Sweet, but not overly so. Finishes up dry & slightly bitter. Let this warm up to cellar temp.

(M)- Great carbonation level & balance. Sweet, yet dry & bitter to smooth it all out. Very impressed with how smooth this years is; great alcohol integration. There is a warmth to it going down, but in no way harsh or overpowering whatsoever. I am really surprised how smooth it is this fresh already!

(D)- Everytime I have had this beer, it continually surprises me and amazes me at the same time. An amazing example of the style that never disappoints. Founders just knows how to do their stouts; KBS/CBS/BS are overall just fantastic & perhaps my most favorite lineup of beers.
This years release will not disappoint if you havent had it yet & are wondering the quality of the batch. In fact, it may just be better than last years. Simply a delight to drink & enjoy, I didnt want it to end.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a chilled pint glass. Deep dark, almost black color, with thin beige head, lots of tiny bubbles, and strong, consistent lacing throughout. On the nose, strong scents of chocolate, caramel, toffee, and butterscotch jump out of the glass. And I think I smell a hint of cinnamon (or some other peppery spice). The bourbon/alcohol is not readily apparent until the first taste, and them BAM! On the palate, the bourbon announces itself, draped in a silky smooth chocolatey/coffee awesomeness. Yowza! Incredible balance between the rich, velvety malts and the balls to the wall bourbon bonanza. When I die, please embalm me with this nectar of the gods. The mouthfeel is full, lush, and absolutely chewy wonderful. Before KBS, I would not have considered myself a huge stout fan. But now? Sell the wife & kids, burn down the house, empty the 401(k), and move to Buenos Aries with a truckload of this shit (if you can get it)! Hallelujah!!!!

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/17/11 - Vintage 2011
*From notes

A: It's like someone turned off the lights with this one. Look up the word black in the dictionary and you'll see a bottle of KBS. Supremely elegant 2+ finger bubbly head that looks like whipped motor oil. Thick lacing rims the glass throughout.

S: Sweet vanilla bean and woody, dark, smokey char. The bourbon makes a move and really sears the nostrils.

T: Wow - there is so much happening here it's crazy. Bourbon, really smooth and slightly sweet whiskey. This compliments the vanilla essence which shows up on the mid-palate. Freshly roated coffee and 70% dark cocoa nibs finish this one out and linger on the back of the tonsils for minutes on end. As it warms, the bourbon and 11.2% alcohol really come through.

M: In one word, it's perfect. Like a carbonated, bourbony, chocolate & coffee milkshake. I can't think of another beer that feels quite like KBS. So rich and immensely creamy. Just delicious.

O: Founders KBS is simply a marvelous brew. It's so well put together, perfectly balanced and utterly drinkable. This heavenly nectar is liquid crack.

I have no qualms that this '11 vintage will age beautifully. I can't wait to find out.

Two BIG thumbs up - seek this out.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Poured a deep, deep brown with a small tannish head. Nose is coffee, cocoa, light hints of bourbon, vanilla, oak and oats. taste is heavy oats, coffee but light on cocoa and bourbon. Very tasty and very, very drinkable. Outstanding beer and well worth a try.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Last time I had one of these was on Derby Day. The convenient 12oz bottle makes it available to break out at a variety of settings. You don't need help. Pours thick and black. Hits the tan head, even amasses a 1/2" break point. Retention isn't all that high, there's a lot of booze slickness. Aroma is bunches and bunches of chocolate, vanilla and bourbon.

Chocolate really pushes itself in this one, especially with time on it. Isn't boozy, is enjoyable. Pro tip: Save a few ounces at the bottom of the bottle and put it in your morning coffee. Start the day a fun way. Its not all chocolate, bourbon and vanilla though. There is a mild oak contribution.

She's a keeper and elite tier barrel aged stout. No infection issues ever that I recall.

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to BigBlueBeerGuy and GoGriz for sending me KBS in recent trades. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured pure black with just a very thin cap of deep tan head that no retention or lacing.

The first aromas were coffee and maple syrup. On second approach a bit of the roasted malt was present. On the tongue, the coffee dominated, with some bourbon showing up behind the maple notes.

The body was solid, as expected, but a bit too thin for this style. As I am not a coffee drinker, I found the coffee to be a bit more noticeable than I like, but not as strong as some other brews I've had.

Overall, a very good and solid brew that I enjoyed a lot. Did I enjoy it $6 a bottles worth? I'm not sure. With Old Rasputin and Old Stock Ale, both from North Coast, available for $9 a 4-pack, KBS wouldn't be a regular purchase for me, but I'd have a couple a year. Certainly a worthy beer.

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours an inky black body with a thin film of dark espresso head that fades quickly. No sign of carbonation in that dark body.

S- This beer has a big oak and bourbon note with coffee and black roasted malt in the background.

T- This beer has a big wet oak flavor that starts off followed by a flavor of black roasted malt and some chocolate malt with a vinous finish with notes of bourbon.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an alcohol heat that cleans the finish nicely.

D- This beer is big on wood and bourbon and those flavors increase as the beer warms. Not much other malt complexity to balance out the oak which gets to be a bit to much toward the end of the beer.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

A: pitch black with a thick, dense brown head

S: Chocolate with strong roasty notes. The bourbon is quite understated in the aroma

T: Smooth and creamy chocolate and coffee deliciousness. A little vanilla. Some bourbon on the finish, but it's very in balance and drinkable for the ABV

M: Low carbonation, creamy and mouth coating, but not sweet or sticky.

O: quite excellent. A very tasty and drinkable imperial stout.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Hot damn! Served on tap at the brewery. Like a dream come true.

A: The stout is black with a tan head. Dark and absorbing. Great to look at.

S: The nose is heavy with coffee. Bourbon and lactose follow with a pronounced sweetness. But the coffee? Oh how wonderful.

T: Each sip is a treat. Coffee and chocolate are dominating, follwed by a mild sweet bourbon flavor. Lactose lends a milky smoothness. There is just far too much going on to truly appreciate how awesome the ale is. I liked the maple ale but this one takes the cake.

M: I rated the bottle version of this perfect on all aspects. The mouthfeel really lives up to that original rating. I'd let it sit on my palate for hours.

D: Just friggin' awesome. Thank you, Founders, for making this.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle poured into tulip sept19 2010

A jet black right out of the bottle and a thumbs width of mocha head falls pretty quick but leaves some lace where it lasted

S smokey bourbon with a little bakers chocolate, coffee, vanilla and some booze

T much like the nose but even better, the bourbon is strong but not overwhelming and works for it, the chocolate tastes more like coco powder in the mouth but again it works well. I'm loving the woody earthiness and the smokey finish just wonderful stuff

M silky but a little thin and considering how dark this one is I'm a little surprised, not flat but could use some more carbonation but the flavors just stick too your gums I'll be tasting this for ages

D pretty good for a giant bold high booze stout, the taste alone is reason for another, there's a little heat from the liquor but I bet it would mellow out with some time

I can see why this beer is so highly ranked it tastes great, truly one of the better tasting beers I've had yet. A big thank you to MasterSki for sending this one my way

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Context: 12oz bottle of the 2013 vintage (just obtained today in the Great KBS Derby of Madison 2013) poured into a Bell's tulip. This is the first I've had of 2013, but I've had 2012 in the past. Disclosures: there is the potential for the extra work of obtaining this beer to influence this review, as I left work early and drove across town to get some.

Aroma: Smells just as good as I remember it. Very big, pungent nose that I can smell coming out of the bottle. Very, very bourbon barrel forward nose- vanilla and oak dominating. There is some dark brewed coffee, and some cocoa and chocolate malt aromas that comes to the front as it warms up. While its dominated by the bourbon barrel characteristics, it's up there with BCBS and Black Note when it comes to aroma.

Colour: Looks great. Pours a viscous jet black body- not quite Ten FIDY but really thick. It may be the way I poured it, but it comes with nearly no head whatsoever and leaves just a thin brown collar. It might have to do with me drying my tulip glass by hand with a towel just before drinking this. I'll revisit when I drink another one in a clean dry glass, but even then- the relative lack of head is pretty typical of imperial stouts. Also, the lacing is pretty average- it's there and sticks, but there isn't a ton of it. Overall it beats some of the other BA stouts I've had but not by much.

Flavour: Nice. The first sip of this beer kicks me in the face with its bourbon barrel-forward character. Tons of vanilla and oak. Just like the nose. It's pretty much all bourbon barrel for the first few minutes. And as it warms up, I can make out cocoa and dark chocolate malt flavours, almost on the bitter side even. Warming up some more, the coffee definitely makes its appearance, tasting like cold brewed coffee- not too stale, not too pungent- not too coffee forward like people seem to always be saying about fresh KBS. A nice progression of flavours that continue to layer on top of each other. It's quite fun to sip on as it goes from fridge-cold to room temperature.

Mouthfeel: Compared to what I remember of last year's, it's actually a bit thicker on the body which I'd classify as on the thinner side of thick body. Last year would be thicker side of medium bodied. This could be pure semantics or pure folly. It's as creamy as ever that leaves my palate with a dry finish. Carbonation is average for beer in general, and is just about right for this kind of beer. The aftertaste is a nice, smooth mix of bitter coffee and chocolate and the bourbon barrel oak flavours. And I definitely feel the heat as the beer warms up to room temperature. This beer doesn't disappoint in the mouthfeel department.

Overall: Despite all the naysayers saying this year's KBS is thinner bodied, has no bourbon, etc., it seems to me that this is the same KBS that we've all come to enjoy. I'm happy to have gotten my hands on some of this year's vintage. It's a nice, complex beer that's great to sip on- it really should be released 3 months earlier in the winter. It's a very good bourbon barrel-aged coffee imperial stout that any BA stout fan would really enjoy and that's as simple as that. Ignore the hype, taste the beer and be happy.

Old rating: 4/4.5/4.5/4.5/4.5, total score 4.48

Note: I would consider holding onto this beer for a month or two to see if the bourbon barrel contribution mellows out a bit and to see if you can get some of the underlying malt flavours.

Re-review (2014 vintage): Picked up a bottle of this perennial treat on KBS Day yesterday, 4/1/2014. Poured into a Founders' etched snifter today, 4/2/2014. Essentially, it's very similar to last year in terms of my tasting notes. However nose-wise, I feel that the coffee is very subdued, and the bourbon is a bit watered down. Not as much vanilla (from the bourbon/oak) or oak presence here. The bourbon really doesn't hit me in the face as much as it did in last year's vintage. Flavourwise, plenty of sweet chocolate flavours, dark malts, milk chocolate, some coffee which is clearly not as noticeable as BCBCS et al. On the backend, there is more of a solid straight bourbon flavour that is initially sweet and a bit ashy, but the barrel contribution is relatively minimal. Good mouthfeel, viscous but a bit hot, leaves a nice warmth in my stomach as I drink it. But overall this is a slight letdown for me considering how much I enjoyed last year's version. It could very well be palate evolution or bottle variation.

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. There's a number near the base of the bottle: 14213421. No idea what it's supposed to mean.

A- Pours a fully opaque motor oil black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small side patch of bubbly surface foam. Strange lacing that's split into three columns and is not-so-resilient.

S- Nice waft of oak and vanilla that's sweet and carries with it notes of chocolate and mild coffee. I really like this because of its sweetness. You can definitely smell the bourbon but the brown sugar/caramel/maple notes round it out to make it quite awesome.

T- Initial dark chocolate flavors wind their way across the vanilla, bourbon and finally coffee notes to make for a complex, nearly decadent, drink. The booze becomes apparent after a few hearty swigs but never gets in the way of enjoyment. Wonderful cherrywood finish.

M- Nearly the best part of the beer. Soft, silky smooth and semi-syrupy. Medium-low carbonation and the fullest of bodies.

O- Wow. Fuck all the haters that say "It was better last year, the year before, the year before..." This is a premium BBA stout. While the coffee isn't as prevalent as expected, I've had enough BBA stouts to know this is one of the best. Killer drinkability, incredible flavor and feel.

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Ahhh yes, finally. KBS.

A-Pours a complete black. Light has no effect upon the deep rich endless black. Dark brown head appears then dies leaving luscious brown lacing.

S-The most potent stout I have ever laid nose to. A overpowering aroma of bourbon hits. Oaky and burnt. Huge chocolate notes. Alcohol plays into the complexity of the nose. Smells like a monster.

T-An absolute beast. The whiskey flattens out the palate immediately. Literally tastes like bourbon. Oakyness is so potent. Huge milky sweet chocolate. Huge coffee flavor. Big alcohol punch. One of the most intense things I have ever put into my mouth.

M-Satin smooth. Sticky. Well carbonated. Heavy. Awesome.

D-Must sip... so much flavor... so much intense deliciousness...

Completely different than the Breakfast Stout. A behemoth of a beer. Absolutely awesome. One of the most intense beers I have had if not the most intense. Only need one of these and you'll have a buzz. Can't help but appreciate this beer's superior flavor.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from 2016, aged a year. Love having a Friday off, so I’m celebrating with KBS. Just a fantastic coffee aroma on the nose, nice and dark appearance. Smooth mouth feel, coffee, cocoa, and a little roasty malt on the palate. Toffee on the finish. Overall, a great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

On draft at sams in Durham. 16oz pour into a pint glass for 7 bucks. great price.

pours a pitch black with a nice frothy beige head.

chocolate, vanilla coffee and hints of bourbon on the nose. very nice.

taste starts out with vanilla and chocolate and ends with a bourbon kick. ooh, very balanced and smooth. bourbon is a great kicker and isn't too overpowering. excellent .

creamy, not syrupy. 11.2% is unbelievable. full bodied with mild carbonation.

overall a world class bourbon stout. also, I've had it before in bottles but its significantly better on draft. nice!

4.54/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Finally getting around to reviewing this one...

Pours like engine oil, a beautiful jet black opaque color with a frothy milk chocolate head that lingers.

Coffee, dark chocolate, vanilla, oak, tar, and roast malt begin the aroma. Decidedly coffee dominant, with enough bourbon and oak to add complexity to the roast malt character without overwhelming.

Luxurious is the only way to really describe the flavor. Sweet, rich malt balances the slightly bitter coffee, dark chocolate, and roast malt elegantly, while vanilla and toasted oak provide contrast. The finish is fairly dry and roasty. Coffee is definitely the prominent flavor, but it completely lacks acrid character, and it doesn't dominate. Bourbon gives it excellent complexity. Dark fruit notes of bruised cherries emerge late. Chocolate and bourbon ball character really comes out as it warms.

Body is full, smooth, creamy, and luscious. Carbonation is low, and alcohol warmth is significant, but not at all offputting.

Just delicious. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I tend to prefer more of a bourbon ratio, like in bourbon county, but this is just a damn good beer.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a totally thick texture. There was a small amount of tan-colored, lasting head and good lacing.

S: A big aroma of malt, coffee and alcohol.

T: Tasted of coffee, vanilla, malt and bourbon. Very complex with a big taste.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, yet slightly slick finish. Full-bodied.

D: This is definitely a drinkable beer. One of the best imperial stouts out there.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Served in a snifter, the KBS pours dark brown/black with a very small brown head which went away pretty fast. Lacing is good. It smells like coffee, oak, bourbon, vanilla and dark/bitter chocolate. The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but there's also some roasted malt, licorice and molasses too. Mouthfeel is medium/full, and it's creamy, smooth and oily. The low carbonation makes the drinkability of this beer excellent. The alcohol is well hidden, I can't notice it at all so it's easy for me to start taking bigger gulps of the beer instead of little sips. I think this is an excellent beer, it's one of if not the best beer I've ever had. It definitely lives up to the hype, if you ever get the chance to try KBS, you should!

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance: dark black, next to no carbonation, no head

Smell: strong burnt coffee, oats, and molasses

Taste: more burnt coffee and a little toasty smoke, some oak

Mouthfeel: I found it heavy and chewy

Drinkability: I am not always a stout person, but I find this excellent for its style. It is what I will reach for in its style..There are lots of layers here..A very complex beer...I could have several

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Recently sampled on both bottle and draft. The below mirrors most of my thoughts from the draft version, but with a few noted differences. The bottle was approx. a year old or more.

A - Dark brown, minimal head... good lacing. While the tap version stuck to the glass, leaving a sticky film after each sip, there was very little of that from the bottle.

S - dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, slight milky sweetness, wood, subdued burbon and booze. Much more mellow than draft.

T - As the scent goes...complex blend of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate combined with a delicate blend of burbon, vanilla, wood with a touch of milky sweetness. The bottle version featured a more mellow burbon taste which allowed the other flavors to stand out and blend.

M - Medium bodied. The bottle version is much smoother, slightly lighter and less sticky than the tap.

D - Well the bottle version wins out over the tap version in my book. The extra aging gives the flavors and textures a bit more time to mellow out and blend together. The subdued boozyness increases the drinkability. The only attribute that was less desireable was the appearance due to lack of full head and lack of coating.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company