Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
World-Class
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

#27

Ratings: 12,822 |  Reviews: 3,258
4.27/5  rDev -7.4%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA

I saved this special treat for review #200.
Poured a super thick and viscous pitch black. I have compared other beers' appearances to motor oil but this one much better suits that description than the rest. There was no head on the beer but rather a small amount of coffee-colored, bubbly frothiness. Tiny streaks of lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

The aroma was outrageously rich and beautifully aromatic. (I felt that only giving this beer a "5" for smell was doing it a disservice.) As soon as the beer was poured, sweet-smelling, freshly roasted coffee beans smacked me in the face. (The only other beer that had such an intense coffee aroma was Founder's Breakfast Stout.) Fragrant notes of molasses, brown sugar, vanilla and a distinct oakiness rounded out the nose.

The taste was rich and flavorful but not as smooth as the aroma. Deep roasted malts and coffee were apparent up front. The coffee flavor continued along the palate, taking on an almost Bailey's-esque flavor at times. Oaky, woody notes and maple syrup emerged mid-palate. The initial pleasant alcohol warming on the back end turned a bit hot by the drink's end. The finish was bourbon-like, hoppy (a somewhat minty and tingly hop flavor) and dry and it became progressively stronger as the beer warmed. By mid-bottle, the hoppiness emerged considerably and was noticeable from start to finish. The never ending aftertaste was reminiscent of freshly brewed coffee.

Mouthfeel was extremely full-bodied (this may have been the thickest beer I have ever drank), viscous, creamy and rich. It truly felt like a blanket on my tongue.

As for drinkability, this beer was a mixed bag. I enjoyed the initial flavors immensely, but found that both the hops and the alcohol became a bit overwhelming as the beer warmed. The effect of the 10% ABV definitely hit me hard.

Overall, this was a terrificly complex, flavorful, rich and unique beer. At $20 for a four-pack this stuff is pricey, but I am glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

Grabbed this four pack at Blanchards in Allston. Been looking forward to trying for a long long while. Pours black as night with a golden brown head that quickly fades into the darkness of this beer. Smells of baking chocolate and vanilla rising upward.

First taste is of vanilla giving way to a dry chocolate and hickory barrel before the alcohol hits. Amazingly complex beer. Ends with a bourbony finsh that hangs around in the back of the throat till the next sip. This is a great beer Founders had brewed up. Gonna cellar this for a year to see if the alcohol notes (10%) settle down a bit. One of the best, most unique beers I've had to date.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked this beer up from A-Wines in Inman Square. Lets see how it is compared to the regular Breakfast Stout. Not a shred of light was getting through the blackness of this brew. A small tan head also gave way to a brown lace. In the aroma were traces of smooth chocolate, coffee beans, whiskey, and some earth tones. Taste started off slightly acidic, then turned to burnt coffee and roasty bitterness. All the while there is a big background of fudgy chocolate.Mouthfeel, needless to say, is quite big, although the alcohol is not all that pronounced. This is an incredibly smooth brew; very silky, and big on flavor. At this point in the review, I have been drinking this one too fast, I will definitely be slowing down to let more of the complexities of this beer pull through. Although this beer was really expensive, it is so worth it. Definitely liked this one more than the normal Breakfast Stout. Founders continues to amaze me. This goes in as one of the best beers I have yet to sample. Cheers

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This one and the regular BS are pretty equal in my mind. Poured a pitch black with brown/tan head with about a half inch thickness. Smells better than any beer I've put my nose to or at least right with it. Vanilla, bourbon, coffee, hint of chocolate, too much going on here. Taste is just as complex and excellent as the smell. Basically everything I picked up a scent of came through in the flavor here. Tamed bourbon, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, even some dark cherries or some sort of fruit. Alcohol seems to come out a little more as it warms but for the first time I like it! Mouthfeel attempts fullness at first but quickly drops off and seems to absorb on the tongue. Actually, this is pretty much full. It coats my tongue with its greatness and stays there for what feels like an eternity. Overall a damn drinkable brew...not quite as much as the regular BS, regardless of ABV.

Big thanks goes out to czoch75 for the bottle...this stuff is good!

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Spun a few yarns with some good ole boys with this one on 5/27/2007. 12-oz. bottle poured in a shaker glass.

Very thin camisol of threaded beading hides the core of the pour with a truly nice red-brown hue to the striations. Plentiful, spiderpig webbing of lace throughout. On the nose, mahogany, linseed oil, coca cola, French roast coffee, and chocolate caramel all mix together for a powerful karate chop to the olfactory senses. Enormous coffee jackhammer on the tongue, with a cherry infused chocolate trifle boring like sugary good acid through the tonsils, a smoky applewood trickling down the throat, suffusing every part above the neck in a sea of sublime super stout. Medium-heavy body, very silky.

Wish I had a few more of these; truly excellent.

3.8/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 vintage.

Pours out black and very thick. The head finally came up after I finished pouring. It grew to about 1/2 inch and then fell into a thin layer on top and almost went away completely. Lacing is strong and very nice. Smell is a slight bourbon with chocolate tones and a light cappacino backround. Taste is bourbon with roastiness and a little aftertaste of chocolate tones. A little warm on the tongue with a harsh carbonation on the palate. Very peppery in the finish and on my palate. Overall, I will let this baby age a little more before opening a new one. I don't even taste any vanilla which I got a nice flavor of from a small sample from MABZ last year. His last bottle God bless him.

4.37/5  rDev -5.2%

Received bottles from grub and Unclejedi...drank one of them, saving the other.
This has a tremendous reputation, so I'll try to remain calm.
Pours black, silky, some dark burgundy/ruby hints. Head comes to about a 1/2 finger. Medium brown. I think I served it a bit cold, we'll see how it holds up.
Wow, the smell is rich coffee grounds, roasted coffee beans, some prune and anise. Chocolate seems to linger, but not a lot. Alcohol? I don't detect it. Man, this coffee is strong.
Taste is fantastic. Starts as expected with the coffee. A slight intensity is followed by a move toward more caramel and whisky, hint of alcohol. Then it moves to a slight bite of anise and hops, earth tones. Then it moves on to the chocolate. A rich dark chocolate aftertaste, clean and silky. Which leads me to the feel. Silk, not really heavy, not velvet. A smoothness to it. Real nice. Drinks very well for the style, abv, and for me.
What a brew!

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours out black as night with dark tan suds and spotty lacing around the pint glass. This is black, as black as any beer I have tried.
Burnt coffee and dark chocolate malt and a yeast that burns the nose. A hint of the bourbon is in the back with the sugars.
Taste is mellow and fruity and sweet. I taste wood here. There is grape and black cherry with the coffee and chocolate. This is unlike anything I have ever tried. Just fantastic. You can not tell that there is any alcohol here. Masked quiet well.
Mouthfeel is very mellow/mild. While there is coffee here there is no bitterness in the aftertaste. The flavor dies out quietly and quickly making the palate ready for the next drink.
Too bad I can't get this on a regular basis. They need to make more.
Just fantastic. Like no other.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Wow, I've never had a beer quite like this before. It was pitch black, of course, with a short brown head. The aroma and flavor, to me, were dominated, but wonderfully so, by the coffee. The coffee blended right into the chocolate and roasted malt flavors, which gave way to the whisky. Still, there was a bland spot in the flavor profile just before the bourbon, and because of that, I can't give it a 5 for taste. I found it surprisingly drinkable and hope to find this again sometime.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Little to no head although it's a style that doesn't demand it. Lacing is present and the tan bubbles betray only the slightest light shining through the edges of an otherwise ominous black body.

The beauty of this bourbon-barrel bon-bon is that the nose isn't dominated by said spirit. Vanilla, charcoal, chocolate and of course, coffee all waft tantalizingly upward to greet me. I haven't waxed poetic in a review for a while but I haven't had reason to for a while either. This is a great start.

I can't even comment on taste yet because the first thing that strikes me is that this is flat-out the smoothest 10% ABV brew I've ever had. Creamy coffee laced with the gorgeous vanilla notes from the wood. Honey and smoke disappear as quickly as they arrived but aren't gone from my memory. All the flavors come back to the central theme of coffee and finish with a nutty toffee flavor. This is a superlative beer whose flavors work in congress with one another as well as I've ever experienced.

Mouthfeel is luxuriously creamy without ever hinting at syrupy. I don't care that it's a 10%er because I can't taste it and, so far, I can't feel it. This is deadly drinkable and might be my favorite beer to date.

A long overdue thanks to the departed AKSmokedPorter/Lhasa/MC Gordon.

3.88/5  rDev -15.8%

Thank you, BeerBeing, for sending this one out to me. I love the spiel on the bottle! Poured into a Belgian goblet at 50° F.

Very deep colored stout; it only lets in a tiny bit of light. The smallest little brown head tries desperately to cling onto the sides of the glass. Medium-low carbonation.

Tons of roasted coffee beans and vanilla in the nose. Tons. It's actually difficult to detect any beer in there. Touching the beer leaves a definitive "old cup of coffee" smell on your skin. Only as the beer warms does the whiskey come out; sweet bourbon whiskey, almost like a Beam and coke.

On to the taste: lots of bitter coffee. A huge amount of flavors, making them difficult to pick out individually. The coffee beans are by far the most prevalant flavor. It's one big thick beer, although the viscosity is totally under control. The vanilla definately adds another bitter element to the mix; as it warms the notes become more like the vanilla notes in bourbon. There is some alcohol in the finish, and there are higher alcohols present. I detect subtle amounts of noble hops, and lots of black malt, but the beer seems to be the backup band here, and the lead singers are the coffee and whiskey. Probably some roasted barley.

The mouthfeel is very smooth. It is not very carbonated, and the barrel aging gives it a great "polished" vibe, smoothing out any harsh tones. The beer isn't overly sweet or sticky, although it certainly is evident that lots of sugars are in it.

Eat your heart out, Starbucks. A very good stout, but I don't believe it deserves quite the high rating on this site. Recommended, though. Cheers!

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Cheers to hoppymeal and Sudsdog for this truly amazing brew!

Poured this 12 oz. beauty into my oversized snifter.

Nothing but black with this beast that tops off with a bubbly brown head that dies down soon after pour. Swirling leaves spotted lacing and minimal stickiness. Bubbles move so slow, almost like traveling through molasses. Moving on to the smell, so complex, I can't stop putting my nose up to this one. Fresh brewed coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, dark chocolate, toffee, caramel...everything you can ask for! Honsetly, I hardly smell alcohol at all. I could smell this baby all day long, but my tounge needs to appreciate this one for sure...moving on...starts with a delicious fresh black coffee taste that goes down as a smooth sweet oaky vanilla. The bourbon definitely appears more as it warms up, but I'm lovin' it. So many complex malty flavors of toasted coffee/chocolate/coffee/molasses/coffee/nuts. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light to medium because of the more than expected carbonation. So smooth, so delicious, so true. Drinkability is scary good. Almost makes me wonder if this is alcoholic at all. Gimme more! Luckily I received a second one :) but that one will have to wait. Give up what you need to in a trade for this one, but luckily we have a very generous group of traders on this site.

4.83/5  rDev +4.8%

What a freakin’ great brew. At first, it seemed high priced at $5 a bottle – but crap – that’s only $10 for a bomber.

SOB – this bad boy poured pure black, and a frothy tan head popped up that just painted the glass the entire quaff. Can’t believe this is a filtered brew.

Malty goodness of dark fruit – plums and raisons in the aroma, chocolate and deep roasted coffee. Thick and chewy as you quaff, the bourbon is there but not overwhelming in the least. Like eating a cherry chocolate bourbon bon-bon. No hint of booze until the cheeks start to flush.

I can’t wait for another one, but I may hang onto it for a year and see what happens.

4.35/5  rDev -5.6%

thanks to sudsdog for this via trade! Almost by chance I wound up being able to try this much sought after brew.

A - Viscous on the pour, pitch black, a small dark brown head that quickly dissipates

S - Roasted malts with a big sweet underlying aroma. Reminds me of sam smiths. Hints of bourbon, vanilla and oak initially - poured it too cold - which gather a wonderful strength as the brew warms up to room temp.
T - Rich sweet malts, interspersed with espresso, some bourbon, vanilla and oak.
M - Medium to full bodied. modest carbonation, rich and smooth!
D - definitely a brew to savor! Easy to enjoy and so smooth it belies the strength.

Try it if you get a chance!

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Served in a snifter, the KBS pours dark brown/black with a very small brown head which went away pretty fast. Lacing is good. It smells like coffee, oak, bourbon, vanilla and dark/bitter chocolate. The taste is pretty much the same as the aroma, but there's also some roasted malt, licorice and molasses too. Mouthfeel is medium/full, and it's creamy, smooth and oily. The low carbonation makes the drinkability of this beer excellent. The alcohol is well hidden, I can't notice it at all so it's easy for me to start taking bigger gulps of the beer instead of little sips. I think this is an excellent beer, it's one of if not the best beer I've ever had. It definitely lives up to the hype, if you ever get the chance to try KBS, you should!

4.32/5  rDev -6.3%

Appearance: This beer poured jet black with little to no head. Spotted brown suds are left clinging to the glass as I swirl along with a dark topaz colored stain. No much lacing to speak of.

Smell: The aromas are very complex. This has a combination of milk chocolate and a bitter dark chocolate. The vanilla is exploding throughout this dark enigma. The wood from the barrell is very strong as well. Perhaps some cedar notes? Wierd, i'm getting some celery too. The alcohol is definitely strong due to vapors that are almost burning the nostrils.

Taste: Chocolates galores. Bittering cocoa film all throughout my palate. A premium blend of the worlds finest coffee grounds seem to be ground up within. The vanilla is a bit overpowering for me, but then again it is well balanced for a monsterous chocolate thunder of a beer. The alcohol doesnot seem to have the same punch that I was getting in the aroma, but believe me it is present. In the words of Borat," Very niiicce!"

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I had anticipated, but I would say it has a lighter side of thick body with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Alcoholic vapors musters all throughout the session. It leaves behind a gourmet coffee film. Sweet and bitter.

Drinkability: This does improve as it warms. I like the complexity. I would love to try this again perhaps a fresher bottle. If you have not had the pleasure , you dont know what your missing. Mmmmm....(Raises glass)....

Cheers2Beers

4.1/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer pours a pitch black with a mild gray and reddish/purple hued, motor oil thick body with a very small off-white head that died almost immediately.

Nose is an intense grainy rich milk chocolate with a boot leather type wooden bourbon barrel smell. Hints of espresso beans, vanilla beans, chalk, dark chocolate, very faint hints of smoke and mild alcohol. It's a very compact nose with subtle smells that shine through more as it warms.

Taste is very full bodied and almost syrupy thick. Strong woody alcohol rich bourbon flavors dominate and mix with a rich espresso and chocolate flavor. There's a graininess throughout as well as a strong burnt malt bitterness that's mixed with a dominate hop bitterness. Vanilla notes are mixed with a chocolate and bourbon, but since vanilla is such a key characteristic in these to begin with it's a bit overshadowed. Mild chalk touches and some strong charcoal notes.. There really isn't much in the way of hop flavor albeit a few brief citrus notes, but honestly it's hard to tell if it's hops or the dark malt and bourbon flavors you're mis-tasting.

A good beer, but still not my favorite from Founders. Could probably use some aging to mellow it a bit, but still, this beer is an experience that needs to be sipped slow.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle courtesy from CBA and Moejuck: Poured a deep black color stout with a small foamy head with limited retention but some lacing. Aroma of coffee and vanilla is well balance and even more so then the regular version. Taste was a nice and well balance mix between some coffee, vanilla and light bourbon. The alcohol was hidden and didn’t overpower the beer, coffee was well balance as oppose to the regular version and body was oily with a full texture. I have to admit to being quite impressed with this after having been totally disappointed by the regular version.

4.84/5  rDev +5%

It poured like a thick syrup out of the bottle into my glass. The color is darker than any I've ever seen, pure black. The small head is tan but doesn't last long. There is a bit of foam around the edges and not much lacing.

Smell is an elegant blend of vanilla, coffee, and alcohol. The best way I can describe it is to say that it smells like Kahlua. Someone should make a scented candle out of this.

Taste is like nothing I've ever experienced. I'm hit with coffee, sweet carmel, and a strong roasted flavor. The alcohol is noticeable but not unwelcome. As this beer warms the flavor of bourbon from the barrel becomes more evident.

Mouthfeel is extremely full and creamy. The alcohol is apparent again and leaves a clean lingering feeling in the mouth. It warms the throat as it goes down. I'd love to have this on a cold winter night. This beer is a pleasure to drink and I was sad when I reached the end of the pint.

Wow, what an interesting brew! I must thank my girlfriend who gave me a 4 pack as part of my birthday gift. I don't know what to say about this beer that hasn't been said. It is like nothing else yet delicious. Founders really pushes the envelope with this one. If you get the opportunity you owe it to yourself to try this one.

3.79/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks Derek hoppymeal for the opportunity!

Pitch black brew with little of a dark brown head that dissipated very quickly.
The aroma is rich, with roasted malts, chocolate, strong coffee, and a hint of whiskey/bourbon.
Taste is powerful and pleasant, but disappointingly unidimensional.
Coffee, and more coffee, drowning most of the other tastes in there, that include molasses, caramel and bourbon, but those unfortunately, just occasionally reach your palate given the excesssive coffee.
Medium bodied, it is a pleasant brew, but the coffee can get overwhelming (mind you, I do not drink coffee). If you are a coffee lover, this might be a great brew.
Interesting anyway.

3.3/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Welcome to Starbuck's, would you like to try our Irish-American Coffee today?

'Cause that is how this beer tastes. It tastes like coffee and bourbon together with a nice sweet backbone. It tastes pretty good, since I like coffee, I like bourbon, and I don't mind a little bit of sweet with both . . . but what is lacking in this beer is the, ummm, beer element.

It pours jet black. Maybe at the bottom of my glass I can get a hint of red, but not really. The head is thin and flimsy, but it does stay there and it leaves a nice lace as I drink this malt beverage.

It smells like fresh ground coffee with a nice amount of vanilla present. A little bit of the oaky bourbon shows though. It smells like a very nice coffee.

The taste is quite pleasant. The coffee and bourbon play together with the vanilla supporting both and a nice sugary-sweet backbone.

The mouthfeel is a little flat and slick. Coffee with a dash of motor oil.

Look, this is a fine beverage, but we have to draw the line somewhere. Smirnof Ice is brewed with malt, does that make it a beer? There is nothing beery about this beverage. It is an Irish-American coffee malternative.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Pours an opaque color thought to be brown by the looks of the thin head. There is more lacing going on as it warms up even more.

Up close you can smell the oak treatment and intense expresso character.

The mouth feel is thick without being sticky syrupy, creamy and smooth with a sharp tingle of complexity in the front of the tongue and roof of the mouth and it has another distinct layer of complexity from the Kentucky bourbon as it finishes.

It has a creamy smooth coffee flavor that lingers somewhat. Hints of chocolate and bourbon.

Drinkability - A real sipper. The alcohol is definitely there, but it's not distracting. Now there's something that would be nice to have around

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

W00t! Received a 4 pack from hoppymeal at DLD (Thanks Derek!!!!) as well as a bottle from nlmartin from BC2 (Thanks Nate!!!!)

Pours an absolutely opaque black, no light visible, thick brown head forms, wicked lacing, settles down to a pretty layer, very sticky. Smell is heavenly, roast coffee, lots of dark chocolate, fruits, toffee, bourbon, bit of alcohol, oaky vanilla, more coffee roast, insane rich and amazing. Taste is insane roasty goodness, like fresh espresso, lots of vanilla, bourbon, oak, chocolate, more espresso, toffee, some dark fruits, tiny amount of alcohol, more espresso and more vanilla, fucking fantastic. Mouthfeel is full bodied, nice and thick, low carbonation, very coating, nice alcohol warming. Easily the best oak aged beer I've had. Captures it perfectly, amazing harmony between the beer and barrel. Way too drinkable, just an insane beer, deserves its accolades and then some. Thanks Derek and Nate!!!

Recieved in a DLD trade w/ Sman (insert #'s here).

Poured into my oversized DFH snifter.

Jet black body. "How much more black can it get? Really, the answer is none. None more black". -Spinal Tap
Like I said, very dark body. Dark tannish/brown head. 1finger. Decent retention. Heavy whisps of lace left in the glass once the head subsided.
Huge malty coffee and bittersweet chocolate nose. Semi smokey bourbon with whisps of marinated figs and peat. More alcohol comes through as the beer progresses.
Sooo smooth on the tongue. Oh my god. This is one smooth beer. I'm gonna be all over the place with this one between mouthfeel, taste and drinkability, because I think all 3 play into each other.
Chocolate and coffee instantly assault my palate. But it's a good assault. Bourbon and vanilla oakiness come through almost as fast. This is gorgeous. I find myself wanting drink this beer faster than almost any beer I've ever had. I have to force myself to slow down at every sip. Sips turn into swigs which turn into gulps. And this is definitely not a gulping beer. Although it goes down like one. This is too drinkable for a 10% beer. The bourbon is well present, but so well balance that you don't recognize an alcoholic "burn". It's just not there. I almost want to chew this beer there's so much flavor. I feel like I'm rambling, but it's hard to put into words everything I'm tasting.
This is one hell of a beer. I'm gonna leave it at that. Thanks to Founders for this offering. My first perfect 5 beer.

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

hoppymeal hooked me up with a 4-pack of this one at dark lord day. thanks again derek! also got a bottle in a trade with Jay23, so thanks jay!

12oz bottle.

pours thick and black, like burnt motor oil. a thin layer of very fine brown head forms and quickly disappears leaving a bit of spotty lace.

aroma is great. dark chocolate. roast. bit of coffee. bourbon. vanilla. alcohol. burnt caramel. big bready malt.

taste is fantastic. tons of dark and milk chocolate. lots of coffee. bourbon. vanilla. bit of alcohol, but mostly as warmth on the way down. bready malt. roasty. medium bitterness. as it warms the bourbon and vanilla really start to come out, overshadowing the chocolate slightly. still, an incredible beer.

mouthfeel is great. big chewy body. medium carbonation level. just a hint of astringency. carbonation has just a touch of sting, but that fades as it warms and a little comes out of solution.

drinkability is great. the alcohol is balanced quite well, mostly showing as warmth on the way down. complex and enjoyable. having sampled a 2003 founders imperial stout about this time last year (thanks DrJay!), i can only imagine what this will be like in a few years. i think i'm going to try and hide one away and revisit it in 2010.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company