KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

Now labeled as "KBS."

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,937 |  Reviews: 3,273
4.16/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle, sampled alongside the Breakfast Stout. Pours pitch black, with a short, light brown head that quickly diminishes to a thing ring of bubbles that hugs the walls of the snifter. Strong coffee aroma; with some dark chocolate, oak and vanilla. The coffee aroma is stronger here than it is in my Breakfast Stout. The coffee again defines the flavor, again with some bitter dark chocolate in the background along with caramel and burnt toast flavors. Bourbon was not as prominant as I expected. More intense than the Breakfast Stout, but still smooth and enjoyable.

4.7/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle received in trade from JMZ.

Poured into a snifter and the experience began. Rich dark black almost burnt looking. Khaki brown head that leaves a lacing of bubbles floating all around the top of the pour.

Smell is toasted malts, dark dark chocolate, oaky scent?

Taste is where I gave up taking notes. This is my first taste of the beer, and I could not get over how rich and flavorfull this drink was. At this point I gave up and realized I was not worthy to review this beer, but I decided to give it a try anyway.

Need more to review ;)

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

First off i want to thank my good buddy Sudsdog for just sending me this beer because i need to try it. Man, i love being a BA.
PS. Send more !

Poured the 12oz. stubby brown bottle into a Mad Elf tulip glass (Good Choice) Looked like dirty motor oil you know Texas crude,black oil I felt like a millionare. Opaque could also be used here. Got A 2'' mocha head from a hard pour had decent retention left a thick creamy layer that just would not die.Some beautiful lace curtians decorating the glass on the way down. Just a smigen shy of a 5 on the head

The aroma one word "Heavenly" complex to say the least. A strong charred wood smell,bakers chocolate the chocolate aroma reminded me of the ride through the Hershey factory.Very roasty,cappachino,sweet sents of chocolate throughtout. Very earthy,woody a toasty/toffee with a candied carmell and a hint of some vanallia creamer added.

Intense roastyness/bitter chocolate with strong charred/burnt wood tastes. Has a flash of alcohol in the mid taste with a note of vanallia. Great balance with a sharp,crisp,dry/puckering feel get right to the point. Very earthy feel with overtones of burbon throughout. The taste is simply out of this world.

The mouthfeel is extremely light and creamy, "nitro-like" with some some slight cloying this beer just seems to melt away in your mouth.
The most drinkable 10% stout you will find went down so smooth and easy really wishing I had more. Don't know what else to say other than: "wish i had more" A must try beer in my book !

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%

Careful to let it warm accordingly, it poured into a snifter a glistening oily black, already beautiful, and with that toasted brown head (no tan about it, it's totally brown!)...well, this is an amazing looking beer. Not much head, but that would be expected, considering the style and ABV. If you can see even the smallest bit of light through the blackness, you're inhuman.

Aroma is deep dark chocolate, burnt marshmallows, bourbon, bonfire/smoke/wood...maybe just a little too heavy on the bourbon and the smoke/char, but still quite a nice aroma.

Flavor sticks around in the mouth a long, long time. I took one small, slow sip and it felt like I'd be tasting it throughout the entire evening, on just that one sip. Features a whiskey-like burn, but balanced very well by strong coffee, bitter dark chocolate, charred wood, and a deep, heavy graininess that I can't quote put my finger (tastebuds) on.

That great aftertaste/finish is enhanced by a creamy smooth mouthfeel, less heavy than you might expect, but very present with ample carbonation (ie. on the low side, perfect for the style). The stickiness was perfect for the flavors and not overbearing; probably a large reason why the flavor rides with you for so long.

What to follow this with? How about nothing. This is a slow mover, one that opens up new things every sip. Glad to have finally tried this heavily hyped cult classic. I prefer the regular Founders B'fast stout, I think it's more drinkable overall, but what's not to love here? Thanks once again to the man, aka msubulldog25, aka Brian. Cheers!

Photo of
4.75/5  rDev +3%

12oz. bottle. 2007 release.

Poured an opaque, dark brown. When held up to light, you could see ruby/mahogany edges. Capped with a small, cocoa colored head which faded fast. No lacing, lots of legs. Viscous and thick looking.

Aroma was fairly strong to begin with, and increased with temp. Chocolate and espresso hit me first. Alcohol said hello. Some roast notes, but fairly mild. Dark fruits - figs and raisins. Herbal scents.

Taste was sweet initially, and became even moreso as I drank. Coffee, alcohol and mild roast notes. Dark fruits again and a herbal finish. Aroma and taste were remarkably similar in this beer.

Full/thick/viscous body. Minimal carbonation. Not dry.

This is what a double stout is supposed to be. Much more impressed with this than Founder's regular Breakfast Stout (which is pretty damn good!). A very complex beer, you could spend a long time figuring this one out. I've got a few more in the cellar, and look forward to doing just that!

4.75/5  rDev +3%

Sampled on 6-21-07
2007 Vintage

Pours a hugely slick deep red/brown. A darkish tan head forms on top, and leaves big, foamy lacing.

Smell is all coffee, and then bourbon. I seem to get an alcohol smell, but it's probably just my association with the bourbon. Rich, super dark malts followed by a distinct hoppiness.

Taste is superb. Huge malt backbone with a big woody bourbon kick right in the middle. Flavors of oak, dark fruits, anise, and vanilla precede a surprising grassy hop balance. The aftertaste is smooth and oaky, with just a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Ultra-think and super-smooth, it really conveys the bourbon flavor and oak-aged character.

Drinkability is surprisingly good, very strong flavors but all in a masterfully delicate balance.

Overall, one hell of a beer. The complexity shows an obscene amount of skill from the brewer, and the immense flavors show a daringness as well. Highly recommended.

3.9/5  rDev -15.4%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours an inky black body with a thin film of dark espresso head that fades quickly. No sign of carbonation in that dark body.

S- This beer has a big oak and bourbon note with coffee and black roasted malt in the background.

T- This beer has a big wet oak flavor that starts off followed by a flavor of black roasted malt and some chocolate malt with a vinous finish with notes of bourbon.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an alcohol heat that cleans the finish nicely.

D- This beer is big on wood and bourbon and those flavors increase as the beer warms. Not much other malt complexity to balance out the oak which gets to be a bit to much toward the end of the beer.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Wow! A great big thank you to Sudsdog for this one!

A: Coal black with the thinnest of espresso head. So dark I don't know if there are any bubbles in there or not. There is no lacing to speak of.

S: I am already in love with this one. Smoked coffee with a hint of vanilla. I sat and sniffed it so long I had to actually tell myself, enough drink the damn thing already.

T: Oh my god and baby Jesus, this is it! WOW! This baby is quite possibly the best tasting beverage to ever pass my lips and cross my tongue. A perfect match of coffee. bourbon, cocoa, and vanilla. Starbucks wishes they had something that tastes like this.

M: This baby is blended so perfectly. It is medium to full bodied and slides down my throat sooo smoothly.

D: Oh yeah it’s drinkable. I put this baby down so fast I was begging for another, but alas the cupboard is bare. Sudsdog send another please I am begging you.

Overall: As I stated this is quite possibly the greatest beverage to ever pass my lips. If I were to die today I would die a very happy man. This brew is perfect in every single way. I held off on giving it a five in the event that there is something better out there. If there is, please bring it forth because this one is going to be hard to beat. Once again Founder's has impressed! No matter the price get your hands on this one, and while your at it pick up all you can afford because this one it what it is all about.

As it says on the bottle: Is good for everything a stout ought to be good for.

4.37/5  rDev -5.2%

Thanks to Chris at Ebenezer's Pub for this one. Intensely black, with a small cocoa head. It had an aroma of coffee, molasses, and whiskey. The taste followed right along. Very strong coffee, like espresso, the molasses and whiskey more muted but still present. Fairly smooth in the mouth. This is a beer to sip and savor one at a time.

3.4/5  rDev -26.2%

Got in a trade with BeerBeing - thanks! Since trade not sure the year but notch definitely shows March. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my trusty pint glass. Had a cool label with fake claims of health cures. Was pitch black even when head against the light. It had an average sized dark brown head that settled into a collar with just a little lacing. The aroma was strong! It was coffee, coffee, more coffee and then several shots of bourbon thrown in. Also had a good vanilla aroma in the background. Gotta admit that I'm just not a fan of the bourbon/oak barrel aging of beers. Keep trying em hoping that I'll grow into it but I guess I want my beer to taste like beer and not whiskey. The taste pretty much followed the smell. Was an Irish coffee more than a beer. Got marginally better as it warmed but for me this one is overhyped. Glad I tried it as I like to try new things but this is one and done for me. (3, NA, ML, O?)

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

First off I must offer immense thanks to hoppymeal for sending this and other treats to me so speedily and kindly I owe him big time.
Woke up around 11:00 o’clock to day (I don’t work until around 4) cracked this immediately after a shower around 11:45 and damn am I happy. Chilled and poured into my Three Floyds nonic, head rose a good inch and a half and lingers now a couple centimeters above the surface. A dark milk chocolate color leaving wonderful foamy lacing like a wave washing on the walls of my glass. The body is as black as black can be like brand new polished black leather. The nose is fabulous tons of dry roast kona coffee, hints of vanilla from oak, rich dark chocolate and a subtle saltiness. I can only smell a small suggestion of bourbon aroma, which is perfect. To me most bourbon aged beers have good aromas, but are a tad too cloying or harsh, however this is so well done it makes me sick. I get no real hop aroma in comparison to the big bold, dare I saw magically malt/ dry roast coffee aromas. Alcohol is not really present in the aroma, it is amazing how well it is hidden.
The flavor is equally amazing perfectly well balanced, just enough bitterness to support the superior malt complexities. I can taste coffee, bitter chocolate and hints of vanilla with a great Kona backend. Even after I swallow I can still smell it almost as if it is seeping out. Mouthfeel is not as thick as I thought it was going to be for strength which makes this even better. I feel like their mash temps matched with other proceeders / ingredients are so well chosen and performed, its like magic, great work, I am so blown away. I could drink this every morning for the rest of my life. This has to be one of the most quaffable big beers I have ever consumed. I now know what all the buzz around this beer is about and it is every bit deserved.

4.22/5  rDev -8.5%

4pk of this brew bought for $19 at the Founder's Brewery
Also obtained a six pack in a trade with citrusjim

Smell, Whoa! Alcohol up front, and it lets you know it. Coffee, a sweet oak scent, which I'll assume is the vanilla, and toffee and dark raisins fill up my nose

Taste, much smoother than the nose would indicate, big coffee and oak flavors up front, alcohol and bourbon flavors follow. Little bitterness, the bourbon notes take care of that. Vanilla flavors mesh well with the oak, makes this one very smooth and complex.

Overall, not worth the $19 a 4pk I paid at the brewery to drink every day. But don't get me wrong, this stout is very complex, and worth seeking out. Hands down one of the most complex stouts I have every had, and believe me, that is saying something. I'm glad I have 9 more bottles to cellar, I can't wait to see what 6 months to 3 years in the cellar will yield.

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

Certainly a must-try beer. The hype is warranted enough for you to get your hands on at least one bottle try for yourself.

I'll skip the usual breakdown in this review, and just say that in general I'm not a fan of barrel-aged beers, especially bourbon barrels. Most brewers overdo it the moment a barrel is involved.
And I love bourbon on its own.

But in the case of KBS, bourbon is a beautiful complement to the very rich vanilla and coffee. It definitely works, and isn't even as syrupy as you might expect.

I prefer the Founders Breakfast Stout to the Kentucky Breakfast, but I love both. Your life as a beer drinker is not complete until you've at least tried this magnificent beer.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle courtesy of nlmartin. Thanks again!

Pours a flat black color, with a small tan head.

Aromas are nice, bourbon, oak, and coffee notes. It's quite a pungent beer, I noticed the aroma right when I opened the bottle.

Flavors are dominated by bourbon. Very boozy and alcohol flavored. There are subtle hints of coffee, cocoa, and oak. Beer is big flavored, but still quite smooth. Very interesting flavors here.

Mouthfeel seems to lack a bit on this one. It is supple and smooth, but also feels a bit lean for such a big flavored stout.

Drinkability is quite good, this is very easy to sip. A very interesting and excellent beer.

3.76/5  rDev -18.4%

Getting ahold of this was a coup. To make a long story short, my mom wheedled the last bottle out of Holiday Market for me. Wow.

A: Absolutely opaque with a thin-though-everlasting head, which is a deep, coffeeish tan in color.

S: Coffee dominates and overpowers most everything else. In some ways, it's a pleasant aroma, yet it is ultimately so much less than it could be.

T: Though coffee dominates here too, it's not in any way overpowering. There's a rich vanila flavor that hits midway through the tongue, and it finishes with a dry and very bitter aftertaste. You can remark a distinct alcohol tinge throughout, also.

M and D: Syrupy and heavy (as one would expect), with an admirable complexity that develops more and more with each sip. The range of flavors across the tongue is remarkable: coffee, vanilla, alcohol, tar, tobacco, leather, cocoa, and brown sugar.

Overall, this is a fine, if not awe-inspiring, brew. I might have liked a little more bourbon flavor and presence, but that's a secondary concern. I would happily pay another $6 for another 12 ounce sample of Kentucky Breakfast.

Drink it, if you can find it.

4.27/5  rDev -7.4%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Liquor World, Cambridge, MA

I saved this special treat for review #200.
Poured a super thick and viscous pitch black. I have compared other beers' appearances to motor oil but this one much better suits that description than the rest. There was no head on the beer but rather a small amount of coffee-colored, bubbly frothiness. Tiny streaks of lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

The aroma was outrageously rich and beautifully aromatic. (I felt that only giving this beer a "5" for smell was doing it a disservice.) As soon as the beer was poured, sweet-smelling, freshly roasted coffee beans smacked me in the face. (The only other beer that had such an intense coffee aroma was Founder's Breakfast Stout.) Fragrant notes of molasses, brown sugar, vanilla and a distinct oakiness rounded out the nose.

The taste was rich and flavorful but not as smooth as the aroma. Deep roasted malts and coffee were apparent up front. The coffee flavor continued along the palate, taking on an almost Bailey's-esque flavor at times. Oaky, woody notes and maple syrup emerged mid-palate. The initial pleasant alcohol warming on the back end turned a bit hot by the drink's end. The finish was bourbon-like, hoppy (a somewhat minty and tingly hop flavor) and dry and it became progressively stronger as the beer warmed. By mid-bottle, the hoppiness emerged considerably and was noticeable from start to finish. The never ending aftertaste was reminiscent of freshly brewed coffee.

Mouthfeel was extremely full-bodied (this may have been the thickest beer I have ever drank), viscous, creamy and rich. It truly felt like a blanket on my tongue.

As for drinkability, this beer was a mixed bag. I enjoyed the initial flavors immensely, but found that both the hops and the alcohol became a bit overwhelming as the beer warmed. The effect of the 10% ABV definitely hit me hard.

Overall, this was a terrificly complex, flavorful, rich and unique beer. At $20 for a four-pack this stuff is pricey, but I am glad I had the opportunity to try it.

4.87/5  rDev +5.6%

Grabbed this four pack at Blanchards in Allston. Been looking forward to trying for a long long while. Pours black as night with a golden brown head that quickly fades into the darkness of this beer. Smells of baking chocolate and vanilla rising upward.

First taste is of vanilla giving way to a dry chocolate and hickory barrel before the alcohol hits. Amazingly complex beer. Ends with a bourbony finsh that hangs around in the back of the throat till the next sip. This is a great beer Founders had brewed up. Gonna cellar this for a year to see if the alcohol notes (10%) settle down a bit. One of the best, most unique beers I've had to date.

4.72/5  rDev +2.4%

Picked this beer up from A-Wines in Inman Square. Lets see how it is compared to the regular Breakfast Stout. Not a shred of light was getting through the blackness of this brew. A small tan head also gave way to a brown lace. In the aroma were traces of smooth chocolate, coffee beans, whiskey, and some earth tones. Taste started off slightly acidic, then turned to burnt coffee and roasty bitterness. All the while there is a big background of fudgy chocolate.Mouthfeel, needless to say, is quite big, although the alcohol is not all that pronounced. This is an incredibly smooth brew; very silky, and big on flavor. At this point in the review, I have been drinking this one too fast, I will definitely be slowing down to let more of the complexities of this beer pull through. Although this beer was really expensive, it is so worth it. Definitely liked this one more than the normal Breakfast Stout. Founders continues to amaze me. This goes in as one of the best beers I have yet to sample. Cheers

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This one and the regular BS are pretty equal in my mind. Poured a pitch black with brown/tan head with about a half inch thickness. Smells better than any beer I've put my nose to or at least right with it. Vanilla, bourbon, coffee, hint of chocolate, too much going on here. Taste is just as complex and excellent as the smell. Basically everything I picked up a scent of came through in the flavor here. Tamed bourbon, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, even some dark cherries or some sort of fruit. Alcohol seems to come out a little more as it warms but for the first time I like it! Mouthfeel attempts fullness at first but quickly drops off and seems to absorb on the tongue. Actually, this is pretty much full. It coats my tongue with its greatness and stays there for what feels like an eternity. Overall a damn drinkable brew...not quite as much as the regular BS, regardless of ABV.

Big thanks goes out to czoch75 for the bottle...this stuff is good!

4.45/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Spun a few yarns with some good ole boys with this one on 5/27/2007. 12-oz. bottle poured in a shaker glass.

Very thin camisol of threaded beading hides the core of the pour with a truly nice red-brown hue to the striations. Plentiful, spiderpig webbing of lace throughout. On the nose, mahogany, linseed oil, coca cola, French roast coffee, and chocolate caramel all mix together for a powerful karate chop to the olfactory senses. Enormous coffee jackhammer on the tongue, with a cherry infused chocolate trifle boring like sugary good acid through the tonsils, a smoky applewood trickling down the throat, suffusing every part above the neck in a sea of sublime super stout. Medium-heavy body, very silky.

Wish I had a few more of these; truly excellent.

3.8/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2007 vintage.

Pours out black and very thick. The head finally came up after I finished pouring. It grew to about 1/2 inch and then fell into a thin layer on top and almost went away completely. Lacing is strong and very nice. Smell is a slight bourbon with chocolate tones and a light cappacino backround. Taste is bourbon with roastiness and a little aftertaste of chocolate tones. A little warm on the tongue with a harsh carbonation on the palate. Very peppery in the finish and on my palate. Overall, I will let this baby age a little more before opening a new one. I don't even taste any vanilla which I got a nice flavor of from a small sample from MABZ last year. His last bottle God bless him.

4.37/5  rDev -5.2%

Received bottles from grub and Unclejedi...drank one of them, saving the other.
This has a tremendous reputation, so I'll try to remain calm.
Pours black, silky, some dark burgundy/ruby hints. Head comes to about a 1/2 finger. Medium brown. I think I served it a bit cold, we'll see how it holds up.
Wow, the smell is rich coffee grounds, roasted coffee beans, some prune and anise. Chocolate seems to linger, but not a lot. Alcohol? I don't detect it. Man, this coffee is strong.
Taste is fantastic. Starts as expected with the coffee. A slight intensity is followed by a move toward more caramel and whisky, hint of alcohol. Then it moves to a slight bite of anise and hops, earth tones. Then it moves on to the chocolate. A rich dark chocolate aftertaste, clean and silky. Which leads me to the feel. Silk, not really heavy, not velvet. A smoothness to it. Real nice. Drinks very well for the style, abv, and for me.
What a brew!

4.82/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours out black as night with dark tan suds and spotty lacing around the pint glass. This is black, as black as any beer I have tried.
Burnt coffee and dark chocolate malt and a yeast that burns the nose. A hint of the bourbon is in the back with the sugars.
Taste is mellow and fruity and sweet. I taste wood here. There is grape and black cherry with the coffee and chocolate. This is unlike anything I have ever tried. Just fantastic. You can not tell that there is any alcohol here. Masked quiet well.
Mouthfeel is very mellow/mild. While there is coffee here there is no bitterness in the aftertaste. The flavor dies out quietly and quickly making the palate ready for the next drink.
Too bad I can't get this on a regular basis. They need to make more.
Just fantastic. Like no other.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Wow, I've never had a beer quite like this before. It was pitch black, of course, with a short brown head. The aroma and flavor, to me, were dominated, but wonderfully so, by the coffee. The coffee blended right into the chocolate and roasted malt flavors, which gave way to the whisky. Still, there was a bland spot in the flavor profile just before the bourbon, and because of that, I can't give it a 5 for taste. I found it surprisingly drinkable and hope to find this again sometime.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Little to no head although it's a style that doesn't demand it. Lacing is present and the tan bubbles betray only the slightest light shining through the edges of an otherwise ominous black body.

The beauty of this bourbon-barrel bon-bon is that the nose isn't dominated by said spirit. Vanilla, charcoal, chocolate and of course, coffee all waft tantalizingly upward to greet me. I haven't waxed poetic in a review for a while but I haven't had reason to for a while either. This is a great start.

I can't even comment on taste yet because the first thing that strikes me is that this is flat-out the smoothest 10% ABV brew I've ever had. Creamy coffee laced with the gorgeous vanilla notes from the wood. Honey and smoke disappear as quickly as they arrived but aren't gone from my memory. All the flavors come back to the central theme of coffee and finish with a nutty toffee flavor. This is a superlative beer whose flavors work in congress with one another as well as I've ever experienced.

Mouthfeel is luxuriously creamy without ever hinting at syrupy. I don't care that it's a 10%er because I can't taste it and, so far, I can't feel it. This is deadly drinkable and might be my favorite beer to date.

A long overdue thanks to the departed AKSmokedPorter/Lhasa/MC Gordon.

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company