KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.6/5
World-Class
KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

This stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels for over a year

Now labeled as "KBS."

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#33

Ratings: 13,291 |  Reviews: 3,370
4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance- Pours a liquid coal, spent motor oil black. NO light can be seen through this eveil colored brew. But even after a hard pour with no glass tilting, hardly any head was yielded. A mild ring-o-foam was amintained throughout the brew.

Smell- Lots of coffee with some milky, creamy notes, smoked and roasted malts, as well as my old friend JACK.

Taste- Starts out with what taste like spent coffee grounds, but develops into something much more creamy and even slightly bitter. The coffee, vanilla, and bourbon barrel aging are very evident. Imgaine having a cup of straight black coffee thats been sitting on the hot plate for an hour with a spalsh of vanillas bean and a shot of JACK.

Mouthfeel- Pretty smooth and some very surprisingly noticeable carbonation. This helped to anhance the blackk coffee bitterness that I like in both my coffee and my beer.

This is a beer that deserves all the hype that it gets. This beer is awesome and I will definetly buy this beer again regerdless of the price. And I recommend all BA's who haven't had this beer get their hands on some of it.

Many, MANY thanks to AlohaC for making my tasting of this beer possible.
Hmmm...where to begin.
Pours a deep used motor oil black with a creamy tan head that melts to thick glass-sticking lacing.
Aroma is unbelievable chocolate, espresso coffee and cream, followed with vanilla and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging with definate oak scents.
Mouthfeel is oh so buttery smooth and creamy with just a tingle of hops/carbonation.
Taste is also unbelievable. Coffee...lots of vanilla....light boubon....chocolate...almost a cream chocolate...more vanilla. WOW.
This could be the inside of a cream sees candy...or better a Beligium chocolate..a handmade Belgium chocolate.
Aftertaste is again sudden vanilla...chocolate, bourbon vanilla.
This is more than a desert...more than a meal....more like a sin.
I know that all 5's are not often supposed to happen and I have only given them to one other beer. 5's mean you cannot improve anymore.
For this beer, I do not think there could be anything better.
Thanks again, AlohaC

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

This brew pours a used motor oil black color. The head is small, about one centimeter in height, and tan in color. Lacing is thin at best. The aroma is outstanding; one of the best I have ever smelled. Coffee, chocolate, toffee, bourbon. Nothing is dominant over then other aroma, instead everything works in harmony with each everything else. The taste is like the aroma, but a bit more intense. The mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation. Overall, this is one of (if not) the best bourbon aged beers I have ever had. I really like the way the bourbon has been added to the stout rather than taking the stout over entirely.

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer gurgles from the 12-ounce brown bottle a soot black, the head is thick and creamy, the color a deep chocolate, the size perfect, as it slowly erodes the laces forms a thick concealing blanket to surround the glass. Nose is steeped with toasted grain, hints of chocolate and a touch of Bourbon barrel sourness, quite mouth watering. Start is somewhat sweet with a rich grain profile, the top rich and full in feel. Finish has a nice acidity, the hops plentiful and the deep roasted grain flavor sits long on the palate, a sure fire winner in my book.

4.22/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours jet black with a small brown head. Quickly fading, no lacing. The aroma is bourbon, vanilla, coffee, molases, chocolate, plenty of roast with some dark fruits in there as well. Flavor is moderately sweet, plenty of roast, lots of vanilla, light bourbon, lots of dark matl flavors come into play, molases, chocolate, toffee as well as raisins and prunes. The mouthfeel is full, oily, soft and smooth, with a very long, slightly warm finish. ABV is well hidden. I must admit, I was sceptacle of a top 50 bourbon BA beer, but this was nicely done.

Bourbon is an American taste and while some finds its way over here, it's simply a novelty. This is a medium or possibly less thick stout. I guess my expectations were primed for the breakfast level of stout. I taste the stout, the bourbon, some roast, a tad coffee. It's a nice stout to drink with some different flavouring.With great appreciation to Putnam for allowing me to buy the last bottle in the store, hidden away for someone like me.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Pitch black, topped with a wimpy tan mist. The head dies out very quickly, leaving the brew naked. Very dark and oily looking. Attractive, besides the lack of head. Big, big french vanilla coffee aroma. Sweetish, not at all what I expected. I was anticipating something brash, bold and american, and instead I get this velvety little gem wrapped covered in milk chocolate. Silky and creamy. Phenomenal. Strangely, the scent gets a bit dusty/musty as the brew near room temperature, like an old closet. Not bad, it's more reminiscent of inspcting old wooden barrels, sticking your head right in there. The flavor opens with sweet, milk chocolate covered coffee beans, drizzled with a bit of caramel and white chocolate. Lightly carbonated, very, very smooth, allowing the malty sweetness to really come forth. The bourbon aging adds a silken, creamy vanilla note. Creamy and full bodied, but leaves off rather dry. Actually, the vanilla is quite pronounced. A hint of smoke, with lighter, restrained hop bitterness in the finish. Very long finish, managed by bittersweet roastiness and an inexplicable milk chocolate flavor. Alcohol is present, but melds perfectly with the other flavors so as to be part of the experience...and what an experience it is.
Give me a little bit of head on this beer that lasts for over a minute, and this is pure black gold. Solid gold. One of the best beers I've had in a while.

And now, a beer review update:

I first reviewed this beer almost three years ago, when I was an unexperienced BA. Since then, it has grown on me and become my favorite beer in the whole world, and worthy of all fives. Here's my updated review:

A: Pours out like 10W30, with hardly any head, but what is there is light brown - none of this tan colored head - it was the color of brown sugar.

S: Wonderful! Tons of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, hints of vanilla, maple syrup, and bread. I could catch whiffs of it a foot from the glass - it saturated my nose.

T: It tasted superb, as well: the alcohol was perfectly present, along with the java and dark chocolate flavors, and even a hint of maple syrup. If I had to drink a beer for breakfast, this would be a good choice. There was a lingering dark roasted bourbon flavor.

M: Rich and creamy, with an appropriate measure of carbonation to complement the alcoholic bite to it.

D: No, you couldn't keep pounding these, but it's a lovely, awesome beer to drink. I love drinking it, and I'm so happy to live in the city in which it's brewed.

4.36/5  rDev -5.2%

Review 200 for me...figured I'd celebrate with what seems to be an amazing beer. It is also the first day of summer and we hit 97 in ATL today, so what better reason...

No sense in describing the color, its pitch black...nothing else. Dark chocolate milk colored head, only about 1/4" on the pour, reduced to a slick black surface with some bubble "scum" sitting on top.

Dark semi-sweet chocolate and dark coffee beans. Bourbon alcohol wafts up and fills the nostrils. The taste comes on strange to me, I get flavor at the beginning and when I swallow it, I don't really get anything and then a huge hit at the end...a bit strange. Dark chocolate and coffee blend form the inital basis for this with a bit of charred malts. The finish is strong with bourbon and wood and the definate effects of alcohol. Alcohol is more of a typical whiskey flavor But I don't find the alcohol to burn at all or to be unpleasant. This version really plays up the bourbon.

This is the creamiest beer I've had to date, it feels extremely viscous on the tongue. It coats every bit of the mouth and the flavor hangs in for a long while. Carbonation is low as would be expected.

Drinkability is good. This is a great beer but its upfront nature limit this to no more than one a night for me. I definately would like more, just not tonight. Extremely well done, I like it much better than the original breakfast stout.

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/4" dark brown head over an opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades pretty quick, to an uneven layer of bubbling, with minimal yet present lacing. Aroma is coffee, bourbon and vanilla, just as I expected. Taste is sweet coffee upfront, which immediately is coupled with hearty bourbon, with touches of vanilla and oak. A whole lot of throat warming going on here. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, and drinkability is excellent for the style. Wow, this beer lives up to the hype.

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle provided by deejaydan as part of BIF33. I've been eager to get my hands on a bottle of this...thanks for the opportunity. Pours really thick. Hard pour to get a half finger of dark brown head over a pitch liquid. No edgings when held to light. Smells espresso, chocolate, molasses. Not so much oak or whiskey as I was expecting.

Tastes incredible. Potent dark and sweet with some booze. Dry roast and coffee with a smoothing chocolate. Whiskey in underneath, both in flavor and in burn. Molasses and fig. A tough ofblack patent sour. Actually, probably alot of sour, but the other flavors are so intense the sour is buried. Thank goodness for the dry finish with cleansing alcohol, because if the thick mouthfeel was able to set the liquid on the tongue it might come across asoverly sweet. Modestly carbonated and forms a fine carb sting on the flat of my tongue. Wet sweet espresso in the aftertaste keeps my mind on the flavors thathave just graced my palette.

Anyone thinking of offering me this in a trade is strongly encouraged. This beer was a truly wonderful experience. Not immensely complex like a top-notch quad. Just tasty and well balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

They drink used motor oil for breakfast in Kentucky? Odd. Perfect appearance for a stout, as black as you could get, with a creamy full maroon head. Smells like a shot of whiskey with dark chocolate, coffee and maybe a little smoke. Taste is rich, strong, whiskey and coffee are all over the place, yet smooth and concise, working well together. Dark chocolate and espresso are also in the mix. Drinkability is perfect, I will enjoy abd appreciate every sip of this all the way down. Can't get enough of those barrel aged beers. Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the bottle.

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%

It’s not often a “Top 15” Best of BA beer is given to me (or loosely traded for). This beer has stared at me too long. It is time to pop it...

Really dark brown in hue with an infusion of black ink; impressive. I love dark foam; the bubbles were a lovely shade of brunette. At the apex the head was a half finger tall, sadly the bubbles collapsed quickly to a thin, soapy cap. I suppose the lack of head retention can be expected. The subsequent lacing was spotty and not widespread. For some reason I was expecting a dark (thicker looking?) beer. Of course I want better head retention and more lace. What a fucking complainer. Yeah, this beer looks like shit. Christ, how can I really complain about this beer’s appearance?

The nose is a dead-on match for an iced-mocha espresso with a shot of bourbon! I can clearly detect the “regular” Breakfast Stout qualities. I looked back at my review for that beer and I noted, “The first thing that popped into my mind as I took my first sniff was how much it reminds me of Thunderhead’s award winning Black Sheep Espresso Stout. I wish I could do a side-by-side sniff test… I smell amble roasted coffee notes, dark chocolate, a hint of sweetness and a roasted/acidic finish.” That is all true for this version. The bourbon aging is very subtle, especially compared to Goose Islands Bourbon County Stout. Don’t get me wrong the bourbon notes are hardly hidden but I was expecting more. Damn you Craft Beer Radio! Moderate-high potency, very complex and chatty… I am impressed. It is not the earth shattering event I was expecting but it was awesome nevertheless! It is time I take a sip.

Thunderous palate… wow. The bourbon heat is scorching on the throat. Hot. Pain. Pain is good. I think I am getting heartburn. Seriously. It is taking quite a few sips before I can deconstruct any sort of beery aspects. Like the nose I am detecting ample amounts of iced espresso and coffee grounds. Bitter baker’s chocolate, some vanilla, a kiss of oak, some dark chocolates, dark berries, chocolate covered cherries, hints of caramel and malted balls. Hell, there is even a slight earthy underbelly. Warm, smoky, alcoholic, sweet finish… it is oh so luscious. The palate is very special. However, personally, I think I prefer both the original Breakfast Stout and Goose Island Bourbon County. Can you imagine pouring both those beers into one glass? Holy Shit!

Almost full body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel was almost perfect. It is surely big enough but I found it almost slick and oily. Maybe this is nitpicking. Nevertheless the mouthfeel fits this beer very well. The aftertaste is remarkable, hot and lingering with plenty of maltiness and bourbon. My belly is warm. My brain is soaked. My mouth is worn-out (but in a very good way!).

Powerful. Complex. Alcoholic. And yet it is damn drinkable. This is yet another amazing beer from Founders. Michigan is golden for great beer. While I might prefer Breakfast Stout I am very, very grateful that RedHaze graciously supplied me a bottle of this succulent beer. I hope I can try this again… I really like it. But, really, who wouldn’t? It is big and beefy but with plenty of complexity and depth. Highly Recommended.

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Received from BA orbitalr0x as part of BIF 33, this much anticipated beer came in a stubby bottle with a label design reminiscent of bygone time. When poured, the deep brown opaque body aided by a mocha colored, one finger thick, foamy head was inviting and imposing at the same time. The aroma was heavily laden with dark roasted coffee and freshly hewn oak. I took a half a point off for the smell being a little too acrid, and lacking either the chocolate or dark fruit undertones of other imperial stouts. The taste was naturally coffee driven as well, with the Bourbon barrel aging providing a smoother, and drier feel than was expected in a stout of this strength. The vanilla like oak tannins and the substantial hop and roast grain bitterness came through much clearer towards the end of each sip, before being subdued by the eventual warmth of the peppery ethanol. The mouthfeel was abundantly thick and just a hair short of chewy. The hefty punch of alcoholic strength made this a fine late night digestif, but detracted from the drinkability a little. If you drink this at breakfast, call in sick and go back to bed till noon.

3.92/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a midnight black color, minimal head, as expected by the ABV. Aroma is charcoal like, some oaky character there as well. Taste is burnt, with a hint of high alcohol. Taste is good, a touch astringant from the oak, but that's to be expected. Kind of puckering. Charcoal again on the taste. Mouthfeel is good, but thin, probably the bourbon coming through. Drinkability is okay, but this isn't my favorite barrel aged beer.

4.32/5  rDev -6.1%

It's been a while since a beer with such hype really lived up to it in my mind, but this one certainly does! I love the bourbon touch to this brew, some beers that try this stray too far from beer territory and are closer to just basically tasting like bourbon themselves, this one balances things nicely. Pours a deep dark black, viscous and marvelous. No real head to speak of but a thin medium brown crown formed a few seconds after finishing the pour. Nose is roast, wood, cocoa, vanilla and of course, bourbon. Taste follows suit but with a nice milky consistancy as well. Impeccible balance, well done! Beautiful!

Slàinte!

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Served slightly chilled into a Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter. Pours a viscous, ebony body, very opaque. A small cocoa head slowly arises and quickly falls into a garnet hued ring that lasts the distance. Delicate specks of lace compliment the garnet rings.
Aroma opens with a profound note of chocolate, followed by earthy oak wood, premium bourbon, and some powerful coffee aromas. The coffee notes are of fresh roasted and unroasted beans like you'd find in a good coffee shop. Very robust! Vanilla and fresh cut sawdust complete the nose.
Mouthfeel is medium full, the carbonation soft and subdued. Some alcohol burn is present here. The dark roasted malts make their presence known here, with some assertive bitterness.
Taste is complex, like the aroma. Chocolate and coffee dominate the flavors. Chocolate is more prominent than expected, but the coffee beans are the real highlight here. Bourbon is easily noted, but is more muted than expected. A bitter, fresh roasted, coffee bean presence comes to dominate as it reaches room temperature. A hint of figs and smoke adds to the complexity.
This one is worthy of its hype, a true masterpiece that is an ultimate sipper.

4.37/5  rDev -5%

The beer poured into the glass black with a brownish black low head which formed slowly and fell slowly to lace the glass.

The aroma was coffee with a strong expresso influence. The aroma contained wafts of bourbon, but not overpowering, much more subdued in nature. The alcohol was present and with the roasty character almost led to a spicy conclusion. Coffee and roast still rule the day with some caramel and bourbon thrown in for good measure.

The flavor was complex and smooth with chocolate and coffee melded together with a strong expresso character and bourbon. The bourbon was mellow and smooth with chocolate and caramel and some vanilla. Some dark fruits were present at lower levels, raisins and cherries, but the emphasis was certainly on chocolate, coffee and bourbon. As the beer warmed the bourbon gave the beer a muted smoky character.

The finish was dry with a lasting bit of bourbon, chocolate and coffee well into the aftertaste and beyond. The body was full, but not viscous with a low carbonation level. Alcohol was prevalent all through the aroma, flavor and especially in the warming that occurred after consumption. A luscious and well achieved brew!

12 ounce bottle, thanks AKSmokedPorter (justcas I will get to the bottle you sent me soon enough!)!

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

$4.39 for a single @ Jack's. I had to try a single before deciding if I needed more at this price. This brew literally pours out to a glossy piano black. The stream of beer is so dark, it shines like the CGI "Black Oil" from X-files, forming a super thick creamy dark brown head akin to espresso crema. The head is creamy and whipped like meringue, something not easily found in a bottled product, but the mild tempered carbonation helps out in this respect. Retention is excellent as are the solid sheets of lace. The aroma is thick and huge, starting with caramel-sweet bourbon, coffee grounds acidified by modest amounts of green oily hops and a ton of freshly ground vanilla bean. Dark chocolate and the faint suggestion of smoke are evident with swirling. Has a "cool" smell, like it actually cools off the nostrils. As it warms, alcohol warms the nostrils and the bourbon flavors really pop out. Cleanly fermented with no off-aromas. The mouthfeel is oh-so-pillowy-soft, like 1/2 & 1/2. Dense, oily huge sticky body. The taste begins with an interesting coffee acidity which is okay, but I would have used a lower acidity coffee in here...it throws the sweetness and balance out of whack. There is a modest woodsy whisky flavor (which I appreciate more that I'm starting to develop a taste for scotch) in the middle, but it's most evident in the super-long finish, imparting a sweetness to the back of the throat like a mild licorice. Anise, dark molasses, and vanilla open up in the middle. Bitterness is mild yet very herbal in nature. Towards the end of the swallow, and particularly as it warms up, the alcohol takes on an isopropyl nature and becomes quite evident. Despite how complex this is, I think it tastes much better cold as it shows some flaws as it warms up.

Despite my recent ability to fully appreciate Scotch, I would rather have the Imperial stout over this (Founder's brews a truly world-class Impy, IMO). One bottle is like an entire meal. If you really want to taste the bourbon in this, let it warm up to ~58F.

4.92/5  rDev +7%

I have rated this higher than most beers, as it is an exceptional brew that doesn't dissapoint. I have had three bottles so far to enjoy, and have a 4th sitting with my vintage beers.
Served in a Brandy Snifter
A: I don't know really what to say about the appearance. I would have given it a 5 in this category, but there isnt much to see. It pours thick and black, with a head that looks like frothing coffee. The carbonation is pretty hard to see due to the thickness.
S: Coffee and a bit of malt. There is a hint of chocolate as well. And when I say coffee, I mean fresh roasted coffee beans. It is a wonderful aroma.
T: Heaven in a bottle. Tastes of coffee, malt, roasted hops, chocolate, maybe even a little smokey. Has a hint of oak and bourbon as well. It is very sweet for being so dark and thick. I will never get tired of that flavor.
M: Thick. It isnt too bad if you are used to Porters or Stouts. I dont think a Pilsner lover would enjoy as much.
D: Excellent drinkability. As soon as I finish one, I wanted another. It is high in alcohol, but you cant really tell. The thickness may be the only thing that could hurt drinkability, but I dont mind that.

This was purchased for $6 a bottle at Binny's in Glen Ellynn, IL (best store in the world). I would have missed it completely if one of the guys I speak with there all the time hadn't pointed it out. The label didnt stick out to me at first. This is one of my favorite beers, and it is hard to get. Binny's is completely out. I hope this isnt the last time I get to enjoy this fine beer.

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%

Thick black pour, beautiful dark tan crust, with a fair lace. Intense aroma of fresh coffee grounds, much like the original, but with an added hint of the bourbon sweetness and light chocolate in the background. The alcohol is not very detectable. The taste is not as overpowering as I expected. Smokey coffee blended with bourbon ending with a moderate bitter finish. Alcohol appears more strongly now but doesn't detract. The mouthfeel is semi-thick, with nice subtle carbonation. There is an intense smoothness present likely due to the barrel aging. Drinkability is good. I would love to have access to this beer anytime, although I think one per sitting would be recommended.

4.92/5  rDev +7%

I had this at the Publick House in Brookline earlier this week, and was surprised to see it after hearing about this beer online. What a wonderful surprise--probably my new favorite stout. Served in a large wine glass, dark black in color with a small amount of brown head.

The smell of this beer is the first thing you notice--really wonderful, strong coffee scent. Taste is rich, complex with coffee flavors dominant, but also chocolate and others present. The alcohol flavor is actually quite mild given the high ABV, with a beautiful combination of rich flavor and light mouthfeel. Very highly recommended, and deserving of its place in the Beer advocate top 10. I would only put 1 or 2 other stouts in its camp.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%

Ok...well since I could not make it out to TPH for this gem on tap, I had to pull this one out of the cellar...this bottle is courtesy of the very generous malty.
Pours a deep dark black with no light passing thru...a 1/4 finger of cocoa colored head sits there for a few minutes and leaves behind some decent lacing.
Huge coffee profile in the nose...like the most freshest Breakfast stout you could possibly imagine. Deep roast espresso, liquor, not much oak hitting me at this point.
Yeah...no mistaking this one for the regular Breakfast Stout...immense coffee with a beautiful blend of vanilla, oak, and bourbon...gets better with each sip honestly.
The malt sweetness is divine and masks the alcohol very well...it does warm you up quickly though.
Mouthfeel is thick and creamy...carbonation low and great for this brew.
Definitely a sipper, but I would never get bored of this flavor...simply divine.
Too bad the bottles did not make it to our area...there is always hope for next year.

on tap at the publick house

my first experience with the Kentucky breakfast and i dare say it was nothing short of perfect. everywhere I though the regular breakfast stout lacked, or fell shy of perfect, this beer improved on. huge aromas of chocolate, coffee, vanilla, hints of bourbon, cinammon, pastries. huge flavors of the same. incredible chew in the mouth, huge full body, coating. extrememly balanced, no booze to be found anywhere. unbelievably drinkable for such a huge and high alcohol beer. i put down 4 with total ease and sheer joy. this is truly an amazing brew. i hesitate to even try and describe it. thats it, im done. excellent.

4.97/5  rDev +8%

First sampled this at the EBF and had reserved myself that barring a trip to Michigan, would probably not see this again soon. To my surprise, had from TPH on 5/23/06.

Presented from the tap in a big oversized wine glass with about a half pour. The beer was a jet black color with slight ruby near the edges. A thin sliver of tan head sat atop the beer and quickly faded. No signs of carbonation (as expected) and served at a significantly warmer temp. than most beer (as expected).

The nose was full of bourbon aromas and semi-sweet roasted malt. The alcohol came with traces of whiskey in it and chocolate undertone pervaded the nose.

The innitial taste is a slight searing of alcohol mixed with chocolate and roasted malt. Subtle bitterness to each sip and the bourbon flavor is quite pronounced. Robust to the finish with a hearty alcoholic presence throughout the sample.

Medium-heavy body with almost no carbonation. A sipping beer all the way.

KBS is extremely drinkable and perfect to sip and savor from a snifer as one would a fine whiskey. I found the bourbon flavors pronounced, but still not quite as much as they were at the EFB. Although "only" about 9% ABV the beer drinks and smells greater than that. Very enjoyable and one I hope to have again even if it means a trip to Mich.

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company