KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.6/5
World-Class
KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company
foundersbrewing.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

Availability: Spring

This stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels for over a year

Now labeled as "KBS."

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#43

Ratings: 13,325 |  Reviews: 3,374
4.65/5  rDev +1.1%

Served on-tap and poured into a scotch snifter with my Sunday brunch today at Sunset Tap & Grill. Liquid velvet. Just so simply, wonderfully smooth.

Poured the color of chocolate milk that had too much Hershey's syrup added. Just a slight shade shy of being really black and more of an extremely dark brown. Slight scuzz of carbonation resting on top of the beer that I just swirled around the snifter. Aroma was chocolate and raisins.

This beer is scary if it is really 10% ABV. The brewers did a masterful job of concealing the alcohol. Drinking it is like drinking liquid velvet. Just smooth, rich, relaxing and warming. All sorts of chocolate tones, coffee flavors, raisins, and prunes. However, what really makes the flavor in this beer is the presence of cream and vanilla. Like drinking a milk shake--but not as cold and with alcohol. Mouthfeel is smooth with a texture like licking velvet I would imagine. Just so smooth and rich. I had to drag myself out of the bar without ordering another.

4.89/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to battlekow and Golden2wenty1 for the opportunity to try this.

Appearance: Black with the faintest tan hues. Medium viscosity, with just a little head and slight lacing out of the bottle. Impressive, but subdued in appearance.

Aroma: This is the hook for this beer - coffee bitters and acidity, vanilla, and a biscuity snap. Some burnt toffees and just a hint of bourbon in the background - this is more the support for the whole nose rather than the emphasis.

Taste: This is maybe one of the best beers I've ever had. The bourbon enhances the coffee finish, leaving it crisp and peppery alongside the more common roasted flavors. Cocoa, rosted chocolate malts on the front palate. Some cream and vanilla on the middle palate. Bitterness and malt compete in a perfect finish. An amazingly balanced beer that using the barrel aging as a means of boosting all the other flavors, rather than drowning them out.

Mouthfeel: Bourbon thins an otherwise full body, but renders a perfect brew in the process. Dry, crisp finish carried by low carbonation and followed by a rich malt aftertaste.

Drinkability: Awesome - this beer has made me rethink my opinion of barrel aging. I can't wait to try this on-tap tomorrow in the lead up to the Great Taste. One of the smoothest, most drinkable beers I've ever had.

4.45/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This rated #1 in our top 10 stout sampling and I am reviewing from the notes I took that night.

A- Pours a pitch black with just slight crimson when the glass is tilted.

S- Sweet malts and coffee dominate. There is some fruity sweetness and a slight chocolate note too.

T- Cherries, coffee and bitter chocolate. Huge taste with no holes at all. Nice hop balance. On my scale this one tied Speedway and lost by .5 to Dark Lord. I love the huge coffee presence.

M- Creamy and thick with a very mild carbonation.

D- This tastes so damn good which makes it very, very drinkable. Try it if you can find it.

This is my review from the sample I savored at the MBGSBF.

Pours deep, dark brown with a dark brown head.

Nose is dominated by roast, with a bit of bourbon thrown in for good measure. Coffee notes is well.

Very complex flavor. Chocolate, maple, bourbon, coffee, roast merge into a bludgeoning mass of flavor. Really, very nice.

Huge body, smooth and very nice. Not a summer beer, but I'll never turn down the opportunity.

3.98/5  rDev -13.5%

Opaque black color. Full light brown foam. Sensational nose which combines the characteristics of the original beer (intense coffee, roast and chocolate) and the barrel (vanilla, coconut, oak) to create a smell that is pure bliss, resembling a melting Snickers bar. Flavor, unfortunately, was a bit of a let down. It just didn’t seem very concentrated and full, not as intense and gripping as the nose promised.

4.45/5  rDev -3.3%

Deepest ebon hue, an impentrable blackness, above which nestles a modest ring of earthy brown, espresso tinges.

Aroma is chocolate first, followed by coffee, then molasses, brown sugar, and licorice.

Taste: Full and thick as it boards the mouth, slipping rich, deliciousness everywhere...this is stoutness of the highest order. Bourbon flavor is here, but feels less sweet than the same stuff straight from the bottle, an impressive blend of flavors. Further in, I can taste the charcoal, even.

So huge, and rich, and very rewarding. Each sip has enough flavor to taste a good 20 minutes, if you're not too thirsty...definitely a sippin' stout! If you don't take your time, you're spoiling a wonderful experience.

I must say, this is a hyperbolic label, but it's all truth in advertising. Gotta wonder how they slip it past the beurocracy, with it's jesting claims of giving relief from all manner of ailments. It is most assuredly "good for everything a stout ought to be good for."

Very nice bedtime brew. Wish I had a case or three to last me a spell.
Way to go, Founders, another impressive ale!
(and thanks to AKSP!)

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Whoops. This might be a little past prime drinking. Yeah, sadly this is only great now and not stupendous. The looks of this beer are enough to get the salivation processes rolling. It is dark. It forms a small cocoa coloured head that fades rapidly, but leaves some decent streamers of lace behind as a reminder. Fine bubbles of carbonation squiggle upwards as a ring holds fast around the perimeter of the glass.

The nose is grainy and full of coffee notes. The bourbon accents seem to be a bit faded out at this point as this thing is not actually a young pup anymore. I feel some peanut shell or butter impressions as well as the vanilla qualities drift across my nares. Beans and smoke. Woody whiskey.

The taste is ashy and coffee and bourbon. There are no off qualities to be found. This tastes great. Great stout flavours improved by the barrel aging process. There is a nice creaminess to the taste as well.

The mouthfeel is the best aspect of this beer. KBS hits the mouth and bathes my palate in flavour and all the while a fluffed and creamy mouthfeel enhances the experience into bliss. This feels whipped and creamy like a fine malt and is matched by no other beer I have consumed.

Drinkability is superb. This is just a lip smacking good stuff. This beer has fallen down a few points from the initial release, which saddens me. I had many a four pack of this in the prime of this beer's life and I am sad to report that it is starting to make a decline. Drink this now if you have it. I am confident that this brew, when fresh off the dock, was at least as good as any beer that ever crossed my lips. I have graded it as such. This is surely worthy of the acclaim it has received. I only hope there are subsequent barrlels of it, and that everyone will be able to enjoy this as fresh as possible. A truly mindblowing experience for lovers of the stout style and your mama.

3.79/5  rDev -17.6%

This beer is impressive...and yet not. Quite a conundrum we have here.

The beer pours out as a rather uninspiring black mass. Not quite as thick and chunky as many big stouts and no head at all - even with a vigorous finish to the pour. No head, no lacing.

The smell is complex and inviting with lots of dark malts including both caramel and molasses coupled with strong notes of coffee with a touch of vanilla and chocolate. No hops to speak of and (surprisingly at 10% ABV) no sweet alcohol notes.

Flavor is complex but a bit heavy on the coffee. Again the previously mentioned malt flavors with a good dose of coffee adding both a dark note and quite a bit of bitterness. Disappointingly no real oaky notes like I've found in many other barrel aged stouts. There are faint hints of bourbon but it's pretty far in the background.

Mouthfeel is silky and smooth but a but cloying and with no carbonation to speak of there's a pretty persistent sugar coating on the tongue.

You know, this is a good beer but in the end it's a disappointment. There aren't the kind of oaky or bourbon characters I'd have expected in a barrel aged stout. Side by side there may be differences between the Breakfast Stout but it just didn't warrant the fanfare. Either the stout needed more barrel aging, the barrels needed more residual whiskey or perhaps a coffee heavy stout just isn't a good candidate for the process.

4.74/5  rDev +3%

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout poured impregnable black topped by a thin, but well sustained, mocha head. Aroma of brewing coffee and a hint of bread. Chocolate fudge flavor starts things off followed by espresso, chocolate mousse and a heavy bitter finish. Body was medium/full with mouth coating viscocity and moderate carbonation.

Oh yeah! Kentucky Breakfast is rich and bold. If you don't like coffee, you won't enjoy the KY Breakfast. This is not a beer I'd take to a party. I'm a little greedy.

4.82/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance- Pours a liquid coal, spent motor oil black. NO light can be seen through this eveil colored brew. But even after a hard pour with no glass tilting, hardly any head was yielded. A mild ring-o-foam was amintained throughout the brew.

Smell- Lots of coffee with some milky, creamy notes, smoked and roasted malts, as well as my old friend JACK.

Taste- Starts out with what taste like spent coffee grounds, but develops into something much more creamy and even slightly bitter. The coffee, vanilla, and bourbon barrel aging are very evident. Imgaine having a cup of straight black coffee thats been sitting on the hot plate for an hour with a spalsh of vanillas bean and a shot of JACK.

Mouthfeel- Pretty smooth and some very surprisingly noticeable carbonation. This helped to anhance the blackk coffee bitterness that I like in both my coffee and my beer.

This is a beer that deserves all the hype that it gets. This beer is awesome and I will definetly buy this beer again regerdless of the price. And I recommend all BA's who haven't had this beer get their hands on some of it.

Many, MANY thanks to AlohaC for making my tasting of this beer possible.
Hmmm...where to begin.
Pours a deep used motor oil black with a creamy tan head that melts to thick glass-sticking lacing.
Aroma is unbelievable chocolate, espresso coffee and cream, followed with vanilla and a hint of the bourbon barrel aging with definate oak scents.
Mouthfeel is oh so buttery smooth and creamy with just a tingle of hops/carbonation.
Taste is also unbelievable. Coffee...lots of vanilla....light boubon....chocolate...almost a cream chocolate...more vanilla. WOW.
This could be the inside of a cream sees candy...or better a Beligium chocolate..a handmade Belgium chocolate.
Aftertaste is again sudden vanilla...chocolate, bourbon vanilla.
This is more than a desert...more than a meal....more like a sin.
I know that all 5's are not often supposed to happen and I have only given them to one other beer. 5's mean you cannot improve anymore.
For this beer, I do not think there could be anything better.
Thanks again, AlohaC

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

This brew pours a used motor oil black color. The head is small, about one centimeter in height, and tan in color. Lacing is thin at best. The aroma is outstanding; one of the best I have ever smelled. Coffee, chocolate, toffee, bourbon. Nothing is dominant over then other aroma, instead everything works in harmony with each everything else. The taste is like the aroma, but a bit more intense. The mouthfeel is full bodied with good carbonation. Overall, this is one of (if not) the best bourbon aged beers I have ever had. I really like the way the bourbon has been added to the stout rather than taking the stout over entirely.

4.53/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer gurgles from the 12-ounce brown bottle a soot black, the head is thick and creamy, the color a deep chocolate, the size perfect, as it slowly erodes the laces forms a thick concealing blanket to surround the glass. Nose is steeped with toasted grain, hints of chocolate and a touch of Bourbon barrel sourness, quite mouth watering. Start is somewhat sweet with a rich grain profile, the top rich and full in feel. Finish has a nice acidity, the hops plentiful and the deep roasted grain flavor sits long on the palate, a sure fire winner in my book.

4.22/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours jet black with a small brown head. Quickly fading, no lacing. The aroma is bourbon, vanilla, coffee, molases, chocolate, plenty of roast with some dark fruits in there as well. Flavor is moderately sweet, plenty of roast, lots of vanilla, light bourbon, lots of dark matl flavors come into play, molases, chocolate, toffee as well as raisins and prunes. The mouthfeel is full, oily, soft and smooth, with a very long, slightly warm finish. ABV is well hidden. I must admit, I was sceptacle of a top 50 bourbon BA beer, but this was nicely done.

Bourbon is an American taste and while some finds its way over here, it's simply a novelty. This is a medium or possibly less thick stout. I guess my expectations were primed for the breakfast level of stout. I taste the stout, the bourbon, some roast, a tad coffee. It's a nice stout to drink with some different flavouring.With great appreciation to Putnam for allowing me to buy the last bottle in the store, hidden away for someone like me.

4.94/5  rDev +7.4%

Pitch black, topped with a wimpy tan mist. The head dies out very quickly, leaving the brew naked. Very dark and oily looking. Attractive, besides the lack of head. Big, big french vanilla coffee aroma. Sweetish, not at all what I expected. I was anticipating something brash, bold and american, and instead I get this velvety little gem wrapped covered in milk chocolate. Silky and creamy. Phenomenal. Strangely, the scent gets a bit dusty/musty as the brew near room temperature, like an old closet. Not bad, it's more reminiscent of inspcting old wooden barrels, sticking your head right in there. The flavor opens with sweet, milk chocolate covered coffee beans, drizzled with a bit of caramel and white chocolate. Lightly carbonated, very, very smooth, allowing the malty sweetness to really come forth. The bourbon aging adds a silken, creamy vanilla note. Creamy and full bodied, but leaves off rather dry. Actually, the vanilla is quite pronounced. A hint of smoke, with lighter, restrained hop bitterness in the finish. Very long finish, managed by bittersweet roastiness and an inexplicable milk chocolate flavor. Alcohol is present, but melds perfectly with the other flavors so as to be part of the experience...and what an experience it is.
Give me a little bit of head on this beer that lasts for over a minute, and this is pure black gold. Solid gold. One of the best beers I've had in a while.

And now, a beer review update:

I first reviewed this beer almost three years ago, when I was an unexperienced BA. Since then, it has grown on me and become my favorite beer in the whole world, and worthy of all fives. Here's my updated review:

A: Pours out like 10W30, with hardly any head, but what is there is light brown - none of this tan colored head - it was the color of brown sugar.

S: Wonderful! Tons of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, bourbon, hints of vanilla, maple syrup, and bread. I could catch whiffs of it a foot from the glass - it saturated my nose.

T: It tasted superb, as well: the alcohol was perfectly present, along with the java and dark chocolate flavors, and even a hint of maple syrup. If I had to drink a beer for breakfast, this would be a good choice. There was a lingering dark roasted bourbon flavor.

M: Rich and creamy, with an appropriate measure of carbonation to complement the alcoholic bite to it.

D: No, you couldn't keep pounding these, but it's a lovely, awesome beer to drink. I love drinking it, and I'm so happy to live in the city in which it's brewed.

4.36/5  rDev -5.2%

Review 200 for me...figured I'd celebrate with what seems to be an amazing beer. It is also the first day of summer and we hit 97 in ATL today, so what better reason...

No sense in describing the color, its pitch black...nothing else. Dark chocolate milk colored head, only about 1/4" on the pour, reduced to a slick black surface with some bubble "scum" sitting on top.

Dark semi-sweet chocolate and dark coffee beans. Bourbon alcohol wafts up and fills the nostrils. The taste comes on strange to me, I get flavor at the beginning and when I swallow it, I don't really get anything and then a huge hit at the end...a bit strange. Dark chocolate and coffee blend form the inital basis for this with a bit of charred malts. The finish is strong with bourbon and wood and the definate effects of alcohol. Alcohol is more of a typical whiskey flavor But I don't find the alcohol to burn at all or to be unpleasant. This version really plays up the bourbon.

This is the creamiest beer I've had to date, it feels extremely viscous on the tongue. It coats every bit of the mouth and the flavor hangs in for a long while. Carbonation is low as would be expected.

Drinkability is good. This is a great beer but its upfront nature limit this to no more than one a night for me. I definately would like more, just not tonight. Extremely well done, I like it much better than the original breakfast stout.

4.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/4" dark brown head over an opaque dark brown/black brew. Head fades pretty quick, to an uneven layer of bubbling, with minimal yet present lacing. Aroma is coffee, bourbon and vanilla, just as I expected. Taste is sweet coffee upfront, which immediately is coupled with hearty bourbon, with touches of vanilla and oak. A whole lot of throat warming going on here. Mouthfeel is velvety smooth, and drinkability is excellent for the style. Wow, this beer lives up to the hype.

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle provided by deejaydan as part of BIF33. I've been eager to get my hands on a bottle of this...thanks for the opportunity. Pours really thick. Hard pour to get a half finger of dark brown head over a pitch liquid. No edgings when held to light. Smells espresso, chocolate, molasses. Not so much oak or whiskey as I was expecting.

Tastes incredible. Potent dark and sweet with some booze. Dry roast and coffee with a smoothing chocolate. Whiskey in underneath, both in flavor and in burn. Molasses and fig. A tough ofblack patent sour. Actually, probably alot of sour, but the other flavors are so intense the sour is buried. Thank goodness for the dry finish with cleansing alcohol, because if the thick mouthfeel was able to set the liquid on the tongue it might come across asoverly sweet. Modestly carbonated and forms a fine carb sting on the flat of my tongue. Wet sweet espresso in the aftertaste keeps my mind on the flavors thathave just graced my palette.

Anyone thinking of offering me this in a trade is strongly encouraged. This beer was a truly wonderful experience. Not immensely complex like a top-notch quad. Just tasty and well balanced.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

They drink used motor oil for breakfast in Kentucky? Odd. Perfect appearance for a stout, as black as you could get, with a creamy full maroon head. Smells like a shot of whiskey with dark chocolate, coffee and maybe a little smoke. Taste is rich, strong, whiskey and coffee are all over the place, yet smooth and concise, working well together. Dark chocolate and espresso are also in the mix. Drinkability is perfect, I will enjoy abd appreciate every sip of this all the way down. Can't get enough of those barrel aged beers. Big thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the bottle.

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%

It’s not often a “Top 15” Best of BA beer is given to me (or loosely traded for). This beer has stared at me too long. It is time to pop it...

Really dark brown in hue with an infusion of black ink; impressive. I love dark foam; the bubbles were a lovely shade of brunette. At the apex the head was a half finger tall, sadly the bubbles collapsed quickly to a thin, soapy cap. I suppose the lack of head retention can be expected. The subsequent lacing was spotty and not widespread. For some reason I was expecting a dark (thicker looking?) beer. Of course I want better head retention and more lace. What a fucking complainer. Yeah, this beer looks like shit. Christ, how can I really complain about this beer’s appearance?

The nose is a dead-on match for an iced-mocha espresso with a shot of bourbon! I can clearly detect the “regular” Breakfast Stout qualities. I looked back at my review for that beer and I noted, “The first thing that popped into my mind as I took my first sniff was how much it reminds me of Thunderhead’s award winning Black Sheep Espresso Stout. I wish I could do a side-by-side sniff test… I smell amble roasted coffee notes, dark chocolate, a hint of sweetness and a roasted/acidic finish.” That is all true for this version. The bourbon aging is very subtle, especially compared to Goose Islands Bourbon County Stout. Don’t get me wrong the bourbon notes are hardly hidden but I was expecting more. Damn you Craft Beer Radio! Moderate-high potency, very complex and chatty… I am impressed. It is not the earth shattering event I was expecting but it was awesome nevertheless! It is time I take a sip.

Thunderous palate… wow. The bourbon heat is scorching on the throat. Hot. Pain. Pain is good. I think I am getting heartburn. Seriously. It is taking quite a few sips before I can deconstruct any sort of beery aspects. Like the nose I am detecting ample amounts of iced espresso and coffee grounds. Bitter baker’s chocolate, some vanilla, a kiss of oak, some dark chocolates, dark berries, chocolate covered cherries, hints of caramel and malted balls. Hell, there is even a slight earthy underbelly. Warm, smoky, alcoholic, sweet finish… it is oh so luscious. The palate is very special. However, personally, I think I prefer both the original Breakfast Stout and Goose Island Bourbon County. Can you imagine pouring both those beers into one glass? Holy Shit!

Almost full body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel was almost perfect. It is surely big enough but I found it almost slick and oily. Maybe this is nitpicking. Nevertheless the mouthfeel fits this beer very well. The aftertaste is remarkable, hot and lingering with plenty of maltiness and bourbon. My belly is warm. My brain is soaked. My mouth is worn-out (but in a very good way!).

Powerful. Complex. Alcoholic. And yet it is damn drinkable. This is yet another amazing beer from Founders. Michigan is golden for great beer. While I might prefer Breakfast Stout I am very, very grateful that RedHaze graciously supplied me a bottle of this succulent beer. I hope I can try this again… I really like it. But, really, who wouldn’t? It is big and beefy but with plenty of complexity and depth. Highly Recommended.

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Received from BA orbitalr0x as part of BIF 33, this much anticipated beer came in a stubby bottle with a label design reminiscent of bygone time. When poured, the deep brown opaque body aided by a mocha colored, one finger thick, foamy head was inviting and imposing at the same time. The aroma was heavily laden with dark roasted coffee and freshly hewn oak. I took a half a point off for the smell being a little too acrid, and lacking either the chocolate or dark fruit undertones of other imperial stouts. The taste was naturally coffee driven as well, with the Bourbon barrel aging providing a smoother, and drier feel than was expected in a stout of this strength. The vanilla like oak tannins and the substantial hop and roast grain bitterness came through much clearer towards the end of each sip, before being subdued by the eventual warmth of the peppery ethanol. The mouthfeel was abundantly thick and just a hair short of chewy. The hefty punch of alcoholic strength made this a fine late night digestif, but detracted from the drinkability a little. If you drink this at breakfast, call in sick and go back to bed till noon.

3.92/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a midnight black color, minimal head, as expected by the ABV. Aroma is charcoal like, some oaky character there as well. Taste is burnt, with a hint of high alcohol. Taste is good, a touch astringant from the oak, but that's to be expected. Kind of puckering. Charcoal again on the taste. Mouthfeel is good, but thin, probably the bourbon coming through. Drinkability is okay, but this isn't my favorite barrel aged beer.

4.32/5  rDev -6.1%

It's been a while since a beer with such hype really lived up to it in my mind, but this one certainly does! I love the bourbon touch to this brew, some beers that try this stray too far from beer territory and are closer to just basically tasting like bourbon themselves, this one balances things nicely. Pours a deep dark black, viscous and marvelous. No real head to speak of but a thin medium brown crown formed a few seconds after finishing the pour. Nose is roast, wood, cocoa, vanilla and of course, bourbon. Taste follows suit but with a nice milky consistancy as well. Impeccible balance, well done! Beautiful!

Slàinte!