Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,056 | Ratings: 11,994
4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

New Beer Saturday! A HUGE thanks to erikkoppin for this amazing extra. Cheers!

2010 vintage.

Appearance - Completely pitch black in color. A 20 LED flashlight is held up to the glass and zero light penetrates, even around the edges. Pours into my Bell's tulip with less than a finger of dark mocha head that quickly dissipates and leaves little lacing. Overall, a very ominous looking brew!

Smell - Heavy coffee, coco chocolate (bittersweet), oak/wood, slight vanilla, and a hint of bourbon.

Taste - I know I shouldn't mention the mouthfeel till the appropriate section but damn. The taste is quite similar to the nose. Despite the bourbon being one of the last scents I smelled I taste this and the coffee heavily up front. This is followed by a heavy dark/bittersweet chocolate flavor which is completely infused with oaky/vanilla flavor. Extremely complex, extremely flavorful, extremely enjoyable.

Mouthfeel - As mentioned, holy cow. The first sip makes me think I'm drinking whole milk. Quite a creamy, thick viscosity we have going on here. Slight carbonation but any more and it would ruin this beer.

Drinkability - A massive sipper for sure. I am enjoying this with some Trader Joe mini chocolate peanut butter cups. They go amazing with this. I am extremely grateful to have this, being able to try the normal Founders Breakfast Stout earlier this year. Very enjoyable on this slightly chilly Southern California night. Thanks again to erikkoppin who is an amazing and generous trader.

3.21/5  rDev -29.6%

'10. Pours a nice dark brown/black with a quarter inch head, typical for Founders stuff. Nose is a lot of espresso, some minor notes of bourbon and vanilla. Taste is more of the same. Not sure how people describe this as a bourbon bomb, in fact it is quite the opposite. This is a coffee stout to me. It's all espresso on the tongue. Must say it's a bit disappointing. Mouthfeel is a tad fizzy. Definitely not a top 20 beer.

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%

One of the better beers I've had in 2010. Poured on tap at The Bomb Shelter in Milwaukee, WI.

Shared a round of this delicious dark and complex beer with some friends, and while one was enough for that night -- its a beer I'd like to try again.

Love the intensity of the flavors, including the big bourbon notes.

Big fan of Founders Brewing overall. Cheers to them for creating this awesome brew.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

I really felt like I missed something the first time i tried KBS. I then tried it again. And then a 3rd time. I didn't miss anything, its just not at all what its cracked up to be.

YES its goood, but there are so many better beers out there. The flavors of this beer are like 3rd grade soccer. They are all just kinda running around, doing nothing of real importance. Finally, I dont think the gravity of the beer stands up to the flavor.

I will age the hell out of my last bottle and hope that it may change my opinion but as of right now there are a handful of coffee stouts/porters that I would say are better then KBS and even more of the barrel aged variety

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle, goblet, bottled 2/18/10. I wanted to reserve this special beer for my 100th review. Circumstances have made it convenient to savor it early.

Well, here it is, black as night in the mountains with a serious little cappuccino brown head. Soon a frothy ring on top of a liquid that no light penetrates with spotty lacing. This is the darkest thing since Ten Fidy.

The nose is spicy with bourbon and rich with coffee. We're talking Kentucky coffee rather than Irish coffee. Loads of vanilla, cocoa powder, black coffee, oak, hop spice, and a bit of alcohol. A very deep dark chocolate note develops.

There is a massive amount of woody, oak flavor that enhances or comes across as spice, slightly peppery and singeing. The boozy bourbon no doubt is the originator of this spice, but the hops are generous in helping it along. Sweet vanilla, sweet oak, dark chocolate, bitter bourbon, black coffee in the finish.

Satiny and creamy in the mouth with minimal carbonation.

Anyway you cut it, I do not believe this to be a drinkable beer. Even though the alcohol is apparent in a pleasant way, it limits consumption. Boozy is a very appropriate word. The belly feels fire, one can get their whiskey fix, and enjoy a well crafted beer for likely no more than 12 ounces.

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

2 oz. from 2007 bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Motor oil; not much head or lacing

S - Smoke, coffee, mildew? Sad, but true

T - Bourbon is definitely lingering despite the aging, as is some heat. I'm tasting more tobacco than coffee or chocolate here. This tastes very good (no mildew, thankfully), but not quite at the level of the 2008 or 2009 which I had last year.

M - Still has some heat; relatively thin for an imperial stout.

D - 2 oz. was decent, but I'd gladly have 4 or so more. An entire bottle would be overkill.

12 oz. bottle from 2010 poured into a DFH shaped pint glass

A - Significantly more head, partially due to the pour. Similar consistency as the 2007.

S - Alcohol heat & bourbon

T - All bourbon & heat for me...this needs some time. I prefer Founder's Breakfast Stout to this at the present.

M - Syrupy, albeit somewhat thin; warming

D - This is enjoyable in small quantities presently. I'm confident that it'll be much more drinkable in a year, but this still is a sipper and definitely not sessionable.

Overall, this is a top-notch stout. Right now, it's too boozy to enjoy all of the complexities of the bouquet and flavor, but I can't wait to crack them open in 3 to 6-month intervals over the next couple of years. I've had too many good KBS experiences over the past couple of years to mark this down in any one category, but aging will improve the current batch, without a doubt.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours dark brown with a thin tan head, but still leaves ample lacing on the glass.

Strong, inviting aromas of malt and bourbon along with dark, pruny fruit.

The bourbon taste comes through strongly, but that is on a foundation of dark chocolate ice cream and dark, aged fruit that creates a wonderfully unique taste impression. Really tasting like a chocolate boozy dessert, like a bourbon chocolate ball. Finishes with a bitter hoppy dryness, along with a lingering bourbon note.

Body is moderately thick, with a little prickly carbonation.

This is an awesome, although quite boozy beer. Good for a nightcap, but more than that will cause trouble. It is an exemplar for a craft brewed stout. Every swallow is a delight.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

on tap at growlers

pour was dark cocoa black, light cocoa head. not much lacing, but a very nice dark cocoa color.

mainly whiskey up front with hints of vanilla and coffee behind it. very light chocolate and roasted malt.

the booze was big and bold. tons of whiskey up front. lots of vanilla backing it up. the chocolate and coffee were a bit subtle compared to the whiskey and the vanilla. the flavors need more time to both mellow and blend. this was very hot.

very thick, very filling. the booze factor burned the gums and left some tingle.

i live KBS but this needs to age to REALLY enjoy what it is capable of doing. i enjoyed 1 pint but 2? probably not. it is way too hot.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had at Madison, WI BA Tasting #2

'07 bottle

appearance - black. medium carbonation
smell - smoke! so smoky I can't smell anything else
taste - smoke is in the flavor, but not as strong as the nose leads on. Its a smoked coffee taste rather than the campfire smoke smell. The caramel sweetness comes in beautifully.
mouth - thick! even with the good carbonation it feels chewy.
overall - so glad I got to try the '07. Booze is almost undetectable. very mellow.

4.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Now listening to...clocks ticking, fans blowing and toilets flushing

2010 batch from bottle into a large widemouth scotch glass.

A - Jet black body, so meets expectations there. Head was about a nice single finger of dark rust.
S - Aromas were much tamer than expected, but pleasant. Vanilla, coffee and bourbon, but only a hint of actual booze.
T - Here is where KBS gets its reputation. This is a perfect blend that is only slightly high on the vanilla for my taste. Otherwise... bourbon, coffee, roasted malts, chicory, oak, chocolate and the booze in the taste compliments such bold flavors.
M - I was surprised that this was not actually thicker than it is. Don't get me wrong, this is thick enough to hold up, but the whole breakfast stout aspect gave me the impression that it would be meatier. But having said that, I was completely happy with the mouthfeel and level of carbonation.
D - OK, I am sure this is where my rDev is going to dip, but I think that anybody who rates the drinkability of an 11+% beer in the 4+ range is out of their mind. This is a very strong beer and after just one, I was feeling every point of that ABV. It is also rich like cheesecake and I couldn't just sit around eating piece after piece of cheesecake. It took me close to an hour to drink a 12 ounce bottle. Enjoyable - yes, drinkable - 3.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to NorthsideFred for sending this bad boy my way. 12oz bottle poured into a Brooklyn snifter. 2010 vintage

A: Dark, dark brown pour that leaves a... wait, where did it go? There was a thin mocha head that disappeared fast, leaving a ring around the glass. No lacing

S: Notes of cocoa nibs, bourbon, vanilla, caramel, nut and malt fill the air. Very complex. Just the slightest hint of alcohol present in the finish [update: Alcohol is much more present after this warms up]

T: Just as wonderful as it smells. The alcohol is much more present however, leaving a nice warm feeling after swallowing. I'm fairly certain the heat is the only thing keeping this beer from being amazing. Has a nice roasted, bitter finish

M: One of the smoothest, creamiest beers I've ever had. Just the right amount of carbonation. Leaves a bitterness on the tongue after a few sips

D: This is truly one of the best stouts I've ever had. Definitely a slow sipper right now though. The bourbon is a little overpowering currently, but damn I can imagine this being fantastic in 6-12 months. Glad I have another bottle stored away

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

2010 vintage in a trade from chcfan. Thanks, Chris!

A: Absolutely pitch black with a brownish coffee tint (may be my imagination). No light penetration when held to a lamp. Pours with half a finger of tan-colored head, which recedes into a collar with light filming on top of the brew. No lacing.

S: Coffee, caramelly bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some booze sting.

T: Follows the nose perfectly. Coffee and bourbon are quite strong; I know this isn't barrel-aged FBS, but I swear that's the first thing that comes to mind. Vanilla and roasted malt, with the mid-taste seeing a rounded out coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Oak hints throughout, but the finish is all alcohol and chocolate, with a pleasant warmth on the way down (an occasional burn, though). Very impressive.

M: Velvety and creamy from the full body and low carbonation. A little alcohol warmth at the end of a swig, but it's not fusel-y.

D: The recipe change threw me off a bit last year, but the 2010 vintage is amazing. I enjoy this more than Peruvian Morning (another bourbon coffee stout), and more than some other competitors in the style. Really top-notch stuff, and it amazes me that it's so plentiful and relatively cheap. I should get a case of this or something.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

On tap at the Flying Saucer 5/2/10

A: pours thick and black as night. Small thin light brown head with little to no lacing

S: vanilla, bourbon, chocolate, oak, boozy all dancing together. very complex, very fantastic

T: bourbon comes on first and gives way to vanilla and chocolate, oak, dark roasted fruits, figs, molasses. flavors change as it warms

M: thick, chewy, heavy, with mild carbonation

D: at 11.2% abv very drinkable. a sipper for sure but that part of the beauty of this beer. the more it warms up the more flavors come out in it.

Overall, an amazing beer. So complex and wonderful. I'm guessing this beer with change a lot over time and I'm looking forward to it.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap @ Founders (Grand Rapids, MI) on 4/22/10. 8 oz of the 2010 edition served in a snifter.

Pours black as midnight in the glass, with a thin covering of reddish & burnt looking mocha colored head. Swirling elicits a huge creamy flare-up that drenches the sides with thick swathes of lace and dark goo. I'm surprised by just how much of the Breakfast Stout is coming through upon first whiff. Roasted coffee and chocolate form a decadent smelling pillar in the nose, which the bourbon and vanilla notes rises up and wrap themselves around. Woody tannins and a touch of floral character lend this a certain degree of gentleness in the nose despite this being such a powerful bouquet.

The taste is very rich up front with crunchy coffee chocolate roast before bourbon and vanilla character just absolutely DRENCHES the back of the throat with warm sweetness. The bourbon does have some sharpness to it but never does quite get stinging (although it is close). It definitely does spread a boozy feel across the palate and in the chest. The tannic notes from the oak has a touch of raw and green feel to it, with the bourbon and wood leaving a lot of deep dryness in it's wake. The mouthfeel is full bodied and rich, with a big creamy feel that fills the mouth up with flavor. I'm getting some of that 11% ABV but most of the alcohol appears to come from the bourbon and stays out of the body for the most part, helping keep this a very steady sipper.

It's hard for me to say if I like this beer fresher, with the coffee and vanilla popping, or if I like it more with some age and all of that bourbon and wood showing itself a little stronger. Makes me wish that I had tried a glass of the 2009 next to it. Always the tough decisions to make on these ridiculous pre-DLD trips to Founders in the wake of the Black Party the weekend before...

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

Bottle shared by Jeremy - thanks! 2007 vintage.

Pours black with a one-finger brown head. The head dissipates into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of robust roasted malts, coffee, and bourbon with hints of vanilla. The coffee is more intense than it was fresh and the bourbon is more restrained.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Roasted malt and dark chocolate flavors kick things off. Smooth coffee flavors join in shortly thereafter. Midway through the sip vanilla and bourbon flavors make an appearance, the former more intense than the aroma intimates. Mildly sweet oat flavors kick in right before a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is great. It's got a very smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have another.

Overall I thought this was still a phenomenal beer after a few years on it but I was a bigger fan when it was fresh. The bourbon flavors are much bigger although it is boozier when fresh. In any even, it's worth a shot fresh or aged.

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%

2010 Vintage, poured into a snifter. Enjoyed at cellar temperature.

A: Brownish black in color, not too terribly dark. Slight tan head evolves with a vigorous pour and recedes to the outer rim of the glass. Looks thin, leaves very scant residual lacing on the glass.

S: I love the smell of fresh KBS. Predominantly coffee and bourbon with light vanilla and oakiness. The bottle I am currently enjoying also has a mild to moderate aroma of alcohol, a first for me while enjoying KBS. One of the best smelling beers I have ever had the pleasure to sniff.

T: This batch is a little hot. I have had this aged a year, which was incredibly smooth with diminished coffee, but this has some pungent alcohol. But overall, very enjoyable. The taste follows the nose very well. Creamy, smooth, coffee, vanilla, bourbon. But not overly done with the bourbon. Compliments the base beer very well. Some mild earthiness is still hanging around as well as mild residual chocolate from the original breakfast stout.

M: Very creamy with little carbonation as one might expect from a beer of this sort that has already been aged for some time.

D: As I said earlier, this batch is a little hot (maybe a funny bottle, I had it around Easter and remember it being pretty well balanced as always). But overall pretty mellow for a beer at 11%. If this was more accessible and readily available throughout the year, I would drink it all the time. Have no problem consuming a whole bottle. One of Founder's best and always worth seeking out.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a snifter

A: Pours a pitch black with a dark brown lace ring of head around the surface of the beer. This beer looks like engine oil.
S: Smells of bourbon, roasted coffee beans, and dark chocolate
T: Bourbon flavor up front, which turns into roasted malt then dark chocolate with a hint of dark fruit and then finishes with an oaky flavor. Amazingly this flavor is balanced enough that there isn't a lot of "heat" to the flavor and all the different flavors seem to compliment each other.
M: Very thick and chewy mouthfeel, slight carbonation.
D: This is a fine sipping brew with a complex flavor and a high ABV. Sit back and enjoy.

A-Dark as night. A hard pour produces a little film of very fine dark tan head. A little swirling and the glass gets coated with bubbles on the inside.

S-Mostly vanilla, chocolately, oaky and bourbony. But all the smells seem to compliment each other instead of overpower each other.

T-Vanilla and chocolate then the oak and bourbon barrel come through. The alcohol comes out a little in the end but nowhere near the 11%. Very oaky aftertaste. The wood stays in your mouth after the beer is gone.

M-Surprisingly light for such an amazing beer. I'd say medium body and very lightly carbonated.

D-The aroma draws you in, the taste makes you stay.

I was honestly surprised at how light the mouthfeel was for such a big beer. Very easy drinking for a bourbon barrel ages 11% stout. I'm gonna keep this on my want list.

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%

This is deep black with a reddish brown head that disappears into bubbles. Coffee is the first note that hits the nose followed by milk chocolate, light maple syrup, bourbon, and a bit of oak. I almost don't want to drink it because it smells so good. Almost. The bourbon is not shy in this. Comes out right away in the taste, but smooths out into oak-hinted toffee, creamy chocolate, and roasted coffee which lingers and bitters a bit with a mild whiskey burn at the end. A little chewy with a sweet malt feel and a little carbonation, but velvety and well-blended--a great libation. The label disclaims any remedies, but this is a cure for all that ails.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

After hearing about this beer from this site and from friends and related sites I just had to try it.

When first pouring the beer I noticed that it was a Jet Black color with a Dark Tan head which depreciated quite quickly.

When smelling the KBS I noticed a strong coffee and chocolate smell

The taste was excellent! A combination of coffee, chocolate, vanilla and a "barrel" taste, which was a great combination.

the KBS had a strong but smooth mouthfeel and aftertaste

Overall I found this beer to be very drinkable and quite tastey. This beer can defiantely creep up on you and I look forward to purchasing this each year when it first comes out. Well worth the hype

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Bottle tasted side by side with Founders Breakfast Stout.

Pours pitch black with a finger of khaki head that quickly drops to a wispy film, leaving only a few lone streaks of lace on the glass. The typical appearance you expect for a barrel-aged stout. Sweet bourbon aroma brings wood, brown sugar, vanilla and spice, while the base beer has some delightful dark chocolate and coffee notes. Its certainly the kind of beer that telegraphs its quality by its scent.

Sumptuous, rich and luxurious flavour elevates this into the top echelon of imperial stouts. The balance between the base beer and the barrel character is perfectly recognised, and a harmonious marriage is created. Sweet and smooth on the tongue, with great chocolate, vanilla, and brown sugar notes. Creamy coffee, irish cream, a touch of wood - its all there. Wonderfully integrated bourbon and a prime dessert beer. Full mouthfeel, with a smooth, slightly chewy viscousness, and a soft carbonation that works just perfectly. Slightly warming alcohol, but very well-hidden considering its weight. Certainly not noticeable enough to stop me drinking this in record time!

I really liked this, and think it may be one of the best examples of barrel-aging I've come across. The bourbon adds just the right notes to this beer, and transforms it into something sublime, and truly worthy of its accolades. Everything about it is rich and decadent, making this a luxury to drink.

Big thanks to Eric for the bottle!

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter. Pours black like oil with a thin brown head. It smells of coffee, chocolate, slight toasted malt slight booze. The taste follows with vanilla and bourbon. So delish! Let this warm a bit. This ale is full bodied- almost syrupy but in a fantastic way. I would love to drink 4 of these but the ABVs remind me to consume slow. This will only get better with age. My second favorite beer of all time.

2009 vintage

Very boozy. Wonderful bourbon aroma. Black as night. Thin head. Not like Founders Breakfast Stout (one of my favorites). This is a Fabulous beer! Better than Bourbon County Stout from Goose Island. I am going to lay this one down in the cellar to see what it does...

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours coffee black with a thin tan head that dissipates pretty quickly. Some spotty lacing on the sides of the glass

S: Smells of toasted malt, coffee, and some notes of chocolate. On top of those a smell of bourbon and a hint of vanilla

T: Small bourbon bite leaves the mouth dry. Huge does of bitter chocolate followed by a marshmallow like sweetness with a touch of coffee and rich brown sugar

M:This went from creamy and sticky to dry and bitter. They both worked complimented each other nicely and kept anything from being too overwhelming

D: Very drinkable, very tasty. Comes pretty close to living up to the hype.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

had an 2009 and 2010 side by side. both were incredibly good but in a very different way. the coffee had almost completely faded in the 2009 and the chocolate, vanilla, oak, bourbon mix were out of control good. the review is for the fresh bottle

a- thick pitch black liquid. cocoa brown head reduced to a thin film and collar. expected and appreciated for this big black abyss of a stout.

s- big coffee shines above a still fairly strong mix of chocolate and vanilla. the bourbon was surprisingly not that prevalent. it all seems like the textbook aromas for a BA stout, but simple done right is good

t- so, incredibly smooth for a BA stout. big coffee and chocolate fight for the top dog of the flavors. the mix into a blend of oak, vanilla, and bourbon. the mix of all those flavors is really sublime. the 70IBUs advertised on the label does a good job of keeping the sweet/bitter battle balanced and enjoyable.

M- thick, and very silky. doesn't overly coat your mouth and really has an exceptionally decadent mouthfeel. the feel is aided by a subtle carbonation level.

d- it's a very rich beer even for a RIS. rich and delicious though. I'd never let a drop be wasted. I'd drink it until I passed out and is well worth the $20/4pk

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company