Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
Liked This Beer
4.61 w/ 12,680 ratings
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

4.61/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 12,680 |  Reviews: 3,242
4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Pipeworks snifter.

A: Pours a deep black with a slight khaki head that fades quickly.

S: Sweet, mellow bourbon, some coffee, mild milk chocolate. Intoxicating.

T: Mellow chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. The bourbon makes itself present in the finish with a slight burn down the throat and a lingering presence in the mouth after swallowing. Pretty complex.

M: Very smooth, almost no carbonation. Of most interest, though the alcohol and bourbon characteristics make themselves known in the taste, there is almost no alcohol presence in the overall mouthfeel, lending to the smoothness of this beer. The mouthfeel is what, I feel, really separates this beer from others BA stouts.

O: Is there some overhyping of this beer? Sure. Are all of the detractors correct? Absolutely not. This one is complex enough to reveal itself in different ways to different palates; to me, it's not as enjoyably complex as, say, BCBS. I'm not sure this belongs in the top 10 on BA, but it's definitely not outside of the top 20.

I really love this beer. Its hard to find though. I drink these in the morning. This is one of those beers you start to drink cold but it warms and it still tastes just as good. color is perfect. Smell is incredible. Tastes like bourbon and i like that. Mouthfeel is like a party in your mouth. You gotta love this beer. Pick it up when you can.

4.66/5  rDev +1.1%

02/17 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. It's been a while so I figured I'd revise. These gals/guys have tamed the burn like forest rangers without damaging the wilds herein. This is one kick ass glass full. The hint of cocnut is there but extremely subtle. There's coffe, licorice & a sidekick share of chocolate. All of which adds up to a treat that's worth the annual wait. I'll withold "supurb" but surrender to superlative without a hint of duress. An enduring treasure.

08/15 Scored, with help, a couple of bottles of the 2014. This has definitely mellowed. Lux on the taste buds is still elegant, but the burn has been extinguished. Therefore I'm upping the scores to reflect the newer superlatives.

04/14 - Later that week I was able sit & indulge & an indulgence is what this is.

My attempt to put into words what I smelled & tasted can not do it justice. Superlative after superlative will not convey the message. As long as you realize there will be an alcohol 'burn' on the first sip (as with just about every bourbon barrel aged quaff) & stick with it, you will be rewarded.

I've been around the block & resent the type of hype that goes on around these "roll-out" events, but I begrudgingly admit this is worth going out of your way for.

Even being over charged by a shady bartender when it came time for settling up, did not spoil the experience. I was in such a good mood that I didn't set the turd on fire, I just flamed him on YELP.

04/02/14 On tap. Just a taste as I was too late by 5 min. Keg lasted 65 min. Nice enough. Noteworthy was the coconut after tones, but at $10 per 8oz. ... I'll hang for the bottles.

4.24/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle with unknown date. I have to thank Dan for supplying this bottle on my retirement after 40 years.

Poured black with almost no head, but plenty of lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is of toasted almonds, vanilla and bourbon and very much like most barrel aged stouts. I have been looking for KBS for more than 3 years. It doesn't usually make it out to the west coast. I was very glad to finally get to try this.

The taste follows the nose with some coffee, burnt almonds, vanilla and bourbon notes. I do like coffee stouts and glad that this was done very well. Although the coffee was forward and the burn in the back of the throat testified to the barrel treatment. It was a little more rough than I expected for a refined barrel aged stout. It may need more aging and I don't know what year this bottle was from. When compared to BCBS or King Henry it didn't seem to measure up. I think it is more closely related to barrel aged Victory at Sea or perhaps Black Xantus. I found the date and it is from 12/12, therefore it has rested for 2 years in the bottle/cellar. With that knowledge, I am going to have to reduce the rating a bit as it has rested 1 1/2 years in the bottle. When compared to other 2 year aged coffee stouts it is in the middle of the pack.

Overall it is a very good coffee stout, and I enjoyed every last ounce of it. But it left me wanting for more refinement that perhaps longer aging will help. The coffee is noticabley similar to Black Xantus, but Black Xantus gets really really good after two years of cellaring and perhaps this would also. I'm glad that I could have a chance to drink and rate it. After letting it warm it does improve and becomes more blended and refined. I would wait for it to warm for 15 to 20 minutes to get maximum enjoyment.

4.79/5  rDev +3.9%