Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,548 |  Reviews: 3,205
3.81/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2014 edition poured into a KBS glass

A: dark dark dark with a mocha/khaki head

S: sweet fudge, wet coffee grounds, and vanilla

T: dark chocolate that overwhelms the subtle vanilla and oak flavors from the barrel; nice roasted coffee and raisin flavors but, again, they're in the background and drowned out by the chocolate; rough, unfinished, and unpleasant booziness was a surprise, given the modest abv

M: low carbonation; very sticky

O: not bad but not great. dark chocolate is the dominant player here, which is kind of a shame. kind of hard to detect the barrel in this year's batch, and coffee also took a backseat. i hate to be that guy who says it was better last year, but it was better last year…or at least i remember liking it a lot more last year

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a fantastic beer, well worth the pain of finding it.

A: Very dark, with a very small tan head.

S: Coffee, dark bitter chocolate, a restrained hint of bourbon, malty.

T: Starts off with a pleasant mellow bourbon taste, with a bit of dark molasses and vanilla. Finishes off with a dark chocolate and coffee taste, with a hint of the vanilla lingering. Long aftertaste.

O: This beer makes me happy and surprises me with every taste. It's the best bourbon barrel aged beer I've tried, without adding an overwhelming bourbon flavor but still infusing the beer with sweet and complex whiskey notes.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Shroud0fdoom for hooking me up with this one! 12 oz bottle into a Chimay goblet.

A: Pours a pitch black color. The head is a bit less than a finger high, with a khaki shade. As expected, retention isn't great. Minimal lacing is left on the glass.

S: Wow, this is almost a dark chocolate bomb. But note the almost - it's the underlyling, subtle notes that turn this into a winner. Bourbon, black coffee, vanilla, oak, and bourbon are all soft yet expressive. And did I mention how great the chocolaty tones smell? The nose could be a bit beefier, but damnit I'm still impressed with its aroma.

T: At first, I'm getting nice chocolate flavors, which build into a bourbon-laden middle. On the finish, I'm getting gentle coffee, roast, and vanilla. The alcohol notes also seemingly shift from bourbon to Irish cream in a way. Still, it's never too alcoholic or harsh (really, the bourbon and oak notes are subdued in the best way). I'm enjoying this a lot...but there's something missing. The more I sip it, the more it hits me: the flavors are a bit muddled. Don't get me wrong, it has great complexity, it's just the individual notes are a bit undefined. It's a bit difficult to discern the chocolate/coffee/vanilla/roast notes from one another. Otherwise, this is still a VERY good brew.

M: Generally, the feel is soft and creamy, but a combination of decent carbonation (for the style) and mild alcohol bite the palate a bit. The bite is never harsh, though. Like many BA beers, it's a bit on the thin side (by no means is it insubstantial, however). A very pleasant sipper that isn't overly sweet.

O: Hmmm. I like this - a lot actually - but I'm honestly not blown away. I think my expectations were too stratospheric for this one. After having the "Big 3" of barrel-aged imperial stouts (this, Parabola, and BCBS), I'd put BCBS 1st, Parabola 2nd, and this one 3rd. But to dismiss this beer entirely would be folly: it's more (dare I say) 'elegant' than the other two, every bit as complex, and well balanced with a delicate bourbon character. Like I said, it's just not extremely exciting: BCBS is over-the-top in the best way possible, and Parabola - despite its incredible harshness - is loaded with a metric ton worth of twists and turns. This just seems a little muddled and unexciting in comparison. I'd definitely drink this again. I'd still buy this again if I got so lucky. But I wouldn't chase trucks just to get my hands on this again.

4.46/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This is a really amazing beer. It has almost everything I look for in a RIS, the one critique that I'd offer; the bourbon is just a bit too hot when the beer is cold. I love the vanilla and tannins that come through, and, as it comes up to temp (or, as I've had half a glass, hm, maybe both?), I can get more of the malt and sweetness as well as more hop-bitterness to balance it out.

I'd call 55 the perfect temp for this beer, and, should I find a place pouring at 55... I'll be happy to sit drink until they cut me off.

4.16/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%