Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,647 |  Reviews: 3,233

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 12oz. bottle kept overnight in fridge to a KBS snifter. Its appearance is a stout lover’s dream – pours the darkest black with an apparent thickness in its body that you know to fit this style well. Halfway through the pour, thousands of bubbles start a carbonated explosion that culminates in the birth of a heavy, two inch tall head that looks like the crema in a finely crafted espresso – aromas of chocolate and bourbon invade the air around the glass as the head forms. Ultimately the short-lived foamy head sinks into the absorbing darkness of the beer below, leaving an elegant ring to remind you of its once majestic existence.

Its aromas boast dark dried fruit that brink back plum & rum-soaked raisins, medium roast espresso coffee (although not as much as expected), chocolate ice cream , sweet bourbon, molasses with faint notes of oak. Upon taking the first few sips my immediate impression is obvious, KBS’ taste mimics its aroma. After savoring the first few sips and soaking my palate I can tell that its taste stronger in the coffee & chocolate than its nose, the coffee tasting more dark roast and the chocolate tasting like cacao. There are also vanilla notes which complement its coffee and chocolate forwardness very well. The oaky bourbon presence, both in its warming heat and taste, surrounds the vast array of flavors and seems to aid well their transition. There is a warm yet mildly bitter finish to the beer which I consider very inviting. Its mouthfeel is great although from the appearance of the pour I imagined it to be slightly more viscous and chewy – which I believe would make its flavor profile even more enjoyable.

Overall – in this BA’s humble opinion - KBS definitely lives up to the hype. I wouldn’t say its my all-time favorite, but I would happily trade for it again or go out of my way to get it when travelling.

4.99/5  rDev +9.4%

Had 4oz bottle of 2013 and had a 12 oz 2014 draft in a tulip glass at Churchkey on 5/10/14

A-Pours black, slight tan creamy head. Very nice lacing!

S-Aroma roast malt, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, and molasses.

T-Taste huge roast, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, oak, vanilla, molasses.

M-Mouthfeel perfect, smooth, alcohol bite very pleasant, balanced finish.

O-Overall both beers were excellent the 2013 had more bourbon in the aroma and taste however the 2014 had the better head and lacing. I can't wait to compare them to my Parabola and GI BCS!

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep black, good opaque depth in it, and decent sized head of brown bubbles. Nice lace. Nose was my favorite quality of the beer with some very seductive bourbon dark-chocolatey notes, and roasty aromas. Big body on the palate, heavy dark chocolate, and plenty of bourbon booziness. Perhaps too boozy.

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours out like dark oil that hasn't been changed in years with a small dark brown head with little retention and no lacing.

Smell is dark fruits, molasses, burnt malt, and a little bit of sweetness.

Taste is different in that there is some nice vanilla, some chocolate, definitely some dark malts, and there is some sweetness in there. Ironically I thought there would be some big coffee flavor but I only get a TINY hint of it and I would not have noticed it if I really wasn't looking for it. I get a little sweet toffee in this as well.

Mouthfeel is quite thick compared to most stouts in this ABV range. Just had a Black Tuesday and it is no where near that thick. I think its pretty thick but I found a new benchmark today.

Overall this is an incredibly tasty stout. There is so much going on and everything really melds well together. I really like this beer but I was surprised by the lack of coffee which really isn't there for all practical purposes but really there is nothing to complain about here. This is a really complex stout with all the different flavors it is amazing. I don't really get much booze from this beer which is surprising as all the great flavors really work well and I would say hide the booze. That being said I love bourbon so what I can taste is great.

I really love this beer but I won't be chasing trucks for it. It's great, complex but if I'm going to be chasing anything it won't be this. Maybe I'm just putting it up against the Black Tuesday I had today. They are almost 8ABV between them but this just doesn't even come close to that. I guess I would have rated this higher if I didn't have that other beer today. Amazing how an amazing beer can make you think another amazing beer isn't as good. I guess I got spoiled today. Still an amazingly complex beer that demands respect.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Holy crap I'm so glad my buddy told me that river city draft house was tapping this tonight. I've been trying to get it for a while now. My buddy who doesn't prefer stouts says this is one of the best beers he's ever had. The appearance is near perfect, dark black and a creamy brown head persists throughout. The smell is perfect, bourbon coffee and chocolate. Taste is bourbon forward with a smooth chocolatey coffee taste mid palate through the finish. Bourbon lingers and is very pleasant. The mouthful is awesome. It's so smooth.
This is incredible. A friend of mine picked up a 6er of bourbon county brand stout. Gonna try this soon and compare.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company