Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
World-Class
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

#27

Ratings: 12,726 |  Reviews: 3,246

4.74/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've been eagerly anticipating my first taste of KBS and goddamn was it worth it!!! Maybe the best beer I've had to date. The pour is an inky black with a very small and short lived tan head that leaves a slight lacing but lots of legs. The aroma is a perfect blend of(in order of dominance) coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, oak, and a little hops. The mouthfeel is as silky and smooth as any beer ever made. The flavor is an incredible smooth bomb of coffee, bourbon, chocolate, oak, vanilla, butter, hops. Simply fucking delicious and amazing. I'd sell my soul for a whole case. J/k....not really.

4.08/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I looked to trade for this beer for a long time and finally got a four pack of the 2014 release. While it is a great bourbon barrel aged stout, I personally thought both bourbon county coffee stout and founders breakfast stout were better. I can't wait to revisit this beer every six months until I run out to see how it matures.

4.94/5  rDev +7.2%

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Originally rated 4.25 on draft from brickyard in Jan 2014 (2013 KBS)

The bottled version of the 2014 is a very dark brown/black pour with short tan head and lacing. Big aromas of chocolate syrup, coffee liqueur and vanilla.

The coffee and chocolate are forward with a mild sweetness followed by vanilla and marshmallow flavors. There is some oak on the end finishing in a boozy astringent dryness reminding me of lower quality bourbon.

The mouthfeel is silky and delightful but thinner than I'd like. The thin mouthfeel makes this beer easier drinking than other barrel aged stouts.

Breakfast Stout is one of my favorite beers and I love how KBS shares some similarities and adds some of the benefits of barrel aging. The end result is very good but it falls short of my high expectations. The flavors are big but aren't well integrated. The thin body combined with the astringent boozy finish kill it for me until I take another sip of the chocolately goodness.

4.14/5  rDev -10.2%