Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,635 |  Reviews: 3,232

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

2013 and 2014 Vertical pours at Yard House, Lynnfield, MA. 2013 has mellowed nicely with with subtle bourbon and coffee notes. Mouthfeel and body is slightly thinner than expected, but doesn't disappoint. 2014 is a little hot, but delicious none the less.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Black viscous body, red tinge around the edge with the proper lighting. No head was produced on my pour, nor is carbonation visible through the opaque body. No lacing, either.

S: Strong notes of burnt malt, coffee, chocolate, smoke, and faint alcohol burn. A little harsh, but loud and clear.

T: Started off with dark chocolate (yum), turned to smoke and harsh bourbon (ok, but disruptive), palate ends with semi-sweet chocolate, smoke, coffee, maple wood, coconut and vanilla (more like a traditional beer, with more than one flavor apparent at once). Very enjoyable, especially the very well done and realistic chocolate notes, but that middle stage was harsh. Alcohol readily present on the finish throughout.

M: Medium bodied, nice and thick but too oily for my preferences, appropriate carbonation.

O: Doesn't cut any corners, for better of worse. Those chocolate notes are incredible- I think they snuck a bar of chocolate into my bottle. Those alcohol/whiskey notes are lifelike- I think they isolated pockets of straight ethanol in my bottle, too. Very well rounded stout, tons of flavors that I can honestly say I've never experienced before (coconut) or at least not with such clarity. The expectations were high, no doubt, and while it did not live up to them it still surpassed nearly every other stout (and most beers of any category). Try to avoid any hype and simply enjoy it for the fantastic beer that it is.

4.64/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured into a Funky Buddha Brewery snifter. There's a number near the base of the bottle: 14213421. No idea what it's supposed to mean.

A- Pours a fully opaque motor oil black color with a 1/4 inch light brown head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a small side patch of bubbly surface foam. Strange lacing that's split into three columns and is not-so-resilient.

S- Nice waft of oak and vanilla that's sweet and carries with it notes of chocolate and mild coffee. I really like this because of its sweetness. You can definitely smell the bourbon but the brown sugar/caramel/maple notes round it out to make it quite awesome.

T- Initial dark chocolate flavors wind their way across the vanilla, bourbon and finally coffee notes to make for a complex, nearly decadent, drink. The booze becomes apparent after a few hearty swigs but never gets in the way of enjoyment. Wonderful cherrywood finish.

M- Nearly the best part of the beer. Soft, silky smooth and semi-syrupy. Medium-low carbonation and the fullest of bodies.

O- Wow. Fuck all the haters that say "It was better last year, the year before, the year before..." This is a premium BBA stout. While the coffee isn't as prevalent as expected, I've had enough BBA stouts to know this is one of the best. Killer drinkability, incredible flavor and feel.

4.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: pitch black and very thick like syrup. Little lacing
S: a predominating bitter chocolate, cherry sweetness, and molasses. Not as potent as I would have hoped with all of the hype.
T: a unique dry bourbon flavor behind a bitter chocolate. Well balanced and focused in those two notes for me.
M: heavy with little carbonation
O: an amazing well balanced beer but not up to the hours finding and extreme hype. Worth a try but have enjoyed other BB Stouts that surpass this. Hopefully it will aeg well.

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a jet black with a finger of dark brown head that fades to a lovely lace.

S: Strong black coffee dominates, touches of oak and sweet booze come through. Also touches of honey, chocolate and loads of sweet malt.

T: The first touch is nice freshly roasted coffee, chocolate, and definite strong bourbon. A nice vanilla and oaky flavor is evident as well but the coffee and alcohol dominate.

M: Full bodied with just-right carbonation and a noticeable alcohol burn. This is a pleasant sipper as the booze is there, but doesn't dominate. The flavors mesh together and it even gets better as it warms.

O: Definitely hyped, and for good reason. This is an amazing barrel-aged coffee stout that I'm glad I got to try. If you like barrel-aged beers, coffee beers, or big stouts this is a must try.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured and served into a snifter. Black pour with a dark tan creamy head with good lacing.

S: Coffee and bourbon aromas hit your nose in the best way.

T: with the first drink, heavy chocolate hints hit my tongue blended with coffee grounds and a bourbon finish.

M: This was very smooth and easy to drink; I would have forgot about the alcohol content if the bourbon didn't shine through so well.

O: The hype of the beer was lived up to. I have heard so many great things and I wS fortunate to try it for the first time this year. The bourbon could be a little more mellow, however I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

3.82/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at RFD DC Chinatown. 6 oz for $10. I got two back-2-back. Drank this with my good friend Dan. He wasn't as impressed as I was, going in knowing the hype. He preferred BCBCS.

I liked this more as a vanilla bomb. I don't get the coffee as much. I get the malt. I get the chocolate. The classic bourbony/ vanilla flavor i love so much. Black, smooth, creamy. No charring. No bitterness. I probably prefer the regular BCBCS, but this is still phenomenal. Definitely worth a try, even if it is $10 for 6 oz.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Yes, I am calling this beer perfect. I cannot get over how all of the wonderful flavors blend together to create such a unique experience. My initial taste was bourbon, but as the beer warmed more and more flavors came to light, especially malt and chocolate. I found one bottle, but I need to find at least one more before this goes away for the year, I'd like to age it some and taste the results. Smooth, clean, fresh. As the description says, this is not simply barrel aged breakfast stout, this is an entirely different beer. An amazing experience.

Bottle poured into a snifter

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A- jet black body with minimal mocha colored head

S- chocolate, malt, bourbon, vanilla... Very little coffee.

T- very similar to the nose. Chocolate, followed by bourbon, & finishing with vanilla. Coffee is barely there.

M- thick, smooth body. Moderate carbonation.

O- Great beer with complex flavors. I'd like to taste more coffee though. For such a high ABV, it's very easy to drink.

4.86/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Good friend had snagged one of these and held onto it to split with me and my beer guru. What can be said, awesome beer, smell could be rated above 5 and with the ABV so high it gets an overall as almost perfect. I would love to track down some more of these.

Had it on tap at Billy Jacks, even better