Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Ratings: 12,551 |  Reviews: 3,205
4.76/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Another beer that had me worried about the hype. It lived up to it, as did Heady.

A- brownish blackish black. Coffee head that got to about 1 finger with an aggressive pour then calmed down quickly.

S- bourbon, chocolate, coffee, sweet. So much complexity. There were so many flavors it was hard to pull them all out.

T- Rich, sweet, smooth, tiny alcohol burn that I hoped for. Too easy to drink. Left me wanting a second one. Tasted bourbon, coffee, vanilla.

M- nailed the consistency. Velvet. Creamy. Not oily. Not overly thick. Just what I hoped for. Carbonation balances the beverage but is hardly noticeable past that.

O- I just said to my wife "I was really looking forward to this one, but I would rather sit on these last few than drink them on anything other than a special night." This beer shocked me. Best stout I've had. Phenomenal.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Glass Used: Teku

Appearance: The stout poured a raven black with some brown highlights. You see a root beer color around the edges when held against a light. A thin chocolate milk foamy cap rests on the surface. When the head begins receding, some lacing is left behind.

Smell: Wow...big bourbon and oak fill the nose followed by dark bittersweet chocolate, and espresso notes. Also get the booze.

Taste: Big bourbon, coffee, chocolate, heavy roasted malts, booze are present. When you take a sip and savor, it tastes like a rich chocolate cake made with espresso and soaked in bourbon. Delicious.

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth and cooling alcohol vapor. While the 11% is felt, it's not un-welcomed or overpowering.

Overall: Amazing. This was my first KBS and I do understand the hype. It's an amazing and fantastic stout. Period.

3.75/5  rDev -17.8%

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

I hate to give a beer a perfect score especially after it being the 2nd beer I am reviewing on BA but I have had my fair share and I know a good, perfectly amazing beer when I try one. And this is it.

A: Pours still with lacy dark chocolate pecan colors and thin head that edges to the side of the glass.

S: Smokes the nose with intake of tobacco, smokiness, chocolate and staled bourbon essence.

T: Light and silky while cold with burnt coco flavors, maybe some toasty marsh mellows, finishes on the taste buds with a smooth flavor of bourbon as it warms up, hints of pecans and even darker chocolate.

M: Still as the black night, steady, thick but ready to go down perfectly from start to finish.

O: This beer changed my way of thinking, experiencing and most likely brewing beers. A style unique but does not shun anyone from enjoying and experiencing a very delicious stout.

Thank you, thank you....