Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)
4.61/5
World-Class
Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

#26

Ratings: 12,774 |  Reviews: 3,252

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

ReReview 04-04-14....
Not as good as past vintages. Thinner and more porter like, lots of coffee/bourbon/chocolate in aftertase. However it is lacking with in your face aroma and flavor. Maybe I am spoiled, but not as god-like as it's former self , still an amazing brew as it is now, but nothing like I remember. Slightly disappointed in Founder's after all the expansion, Breakfast Stout has/ is not the same, nor is KBS now.

2011:

figured this would be a good place to start for my first review since it's the best beer I've ever had and prolly ewill have this year

Bottled 2-25-11 poured into New Belgium Globe

A- Jet black with dark brown mocha head that sticks around for awhile... Looks beautiful

S- Bourbon and vanilla dominate, with hints of coffe and chocolate.. Alcohol.. Just incredible

T- Where to begin so complex and smooth and balanced it's ridiculous... Bourbon dominates the aroma up front, lingering into a awesome dark chocolate/coffee taste that stays long after it's gone... High ABV is masked perfectly and is there just enough to warm ya up....Tons if oaky bourbon flavor as it warms

M- perfect.... Coats the mouth with all the flavors and clings on to ur
tastebuds forever, good minimal carbonation and incredibly smooth

O- Founders is one of the best and they never fail to remind you of that with KBS. best stout money can buy imho... Had a ton of gre
at stouts over the winter and can honestly say this beer is worth the hunt and money you will go through/pay from here on out... Look forward to
having the rest in the future

4.4/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.29/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.39/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.84/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Founders KBS 2014 release 11.2% abv

Pours black/midnight brown with no head, no lacing

Smell is sweet bourbon booziness, vanilla, heavily sweetened dark roast coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, . Everything it says on the box. No nonsense.

Taste has a bigger coffee presence than the nose because of some bitterness in the aftertaste. I’m also getting darker chocolate, almost approaching cocoa powder tartness. Vanilla and sweet bourbon booziness are very enticing. I’m detecting a little licorice as well. The warming alcohol presence is delightful. Bourbon is very present in the finish. All the flavors blend together nicely. More and more bourbon as it warms.

Low carbonation, full body, a little sticky, never cloys. Delightfully alcoholic.

I can’t say much about this beer that hasn’t already been said. It is amazing. One of the best BBL stouts I’ve ever had. I feel like a lot of breweries that do BBL stouts make the mistake of not leaving them in the barrel long enough. It takes patience to make a beer this good, just like it took me a hell of a lot of patience and effort to find the damn thing. I can say with great confidence that I am enjoying this more than BCBS. I haven’t had the coffee varietal yet, so lord knows how delicious that is. The only beer that I can say I enjoyed more than this is Old Rasputin XVI. Now that was a hell of a beer. That being said, this is a much cheaper beer. A 500ml bottle of XVI cost 24$, whereas I was able to get a four pack of this for about the same price, making this beer infinitely more economical.

About the four pack - the four pack was a mish-mash of bottles from different locations around Northern Virginia. I had quite an adventure assembling the four pack, one that I will probably remember for the rest of my life as my first real beer adventure. I’m sure there are more to come, but those will probably involve trips to Belgium. Or Vermont. Or California. You know what I’m getting at. All that I can say is that it was totally worth everything I went through to get it. So please please please do try this beer. You will love it.

Also, drink it first. You’ll only get a full appreciation for this beer if you start drinking it sober. This is not a nightcap. It is an event, and should be treated as such. I’ve made that mistake before, and it is the worst mistake you can make.

4.25/5  rDev -7.8%