Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,056 | Ratings: 11,997
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

1st review! Might as well start with a big boy. Had this puppy alongside a bourbon county. Honestly, the bourbon county blew it away. Not to say the KBS was at all bad, it was delicious. Great blend of chocolate and coffee with good lingering taste. Good mouthfeel. Not flawless but would be nitpicking to mention anything serious... I thought it would have a more complex taste but still absolutely delicious. If you find this rare gem, pick it up.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful from aroma to taste; big, bold, and boozy. You will feel every ounce of this 11.5 monster, tread slowly. Is it worth the hype, lines, and lists? Somewhat. Try it at least once in your life.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

A buddy of mine picked this up for me, I've never ben able to find it. Pours like 10w40, it is just BLACK, smell is alcohol at first, it's overpowering almost, it smells like whiskey hence the aging. Taste is very whiskey heavy, it doesn't really taste like a normal stout, but that is what makes it so special. Mouthfeel is very thick, one of the thickest beers I've ever had.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

Review number 111!!! (I forgot to have something special for review 100, so this will have to do.)

Bottle poured into a Duvel glass. Thanks to a trade with triptens.

Dark black with a hint of brown. Pours a one finger mocha head. Quickly resides to a soapy ring of foam around the edge of the glass. Oily, spotty lacing down the walls of the glass. Exceptional looking, especially when considering the abv and barrel aging.

Smells of mocha, coffee, vanilla, and molasses. Also, a light bourbon and light oak presence. Strong, complex nose. Smells great.

Taste comes full force with mocha, dark chocolate, vanilla bean, bitter coffee, toffee, molasses, and oak. Some boozy bourbon at the end accompanied with a bitter smokiness. The bourbon flavor is lighter than expected. The bitter coffee/dark chocolate flavor is pretty strong, but balanced with all the sweet flavors (vanilla, molasses, toffee). Very flavorful, complex and delicious.

Full bodied, viscous and chewy. Low end of medium carbonation that serves to break up the thickness. Smooth and creamy. Slightly hot as well. Mouthfeel met my greatest expectations for this beer.

This beer is balanced enough, and the alcohol is hidden well enough to be considered to have good drinkability. Also, the flavor is complex and delicious which continues to invite you back for more.

A truly exceptional beer. I'd buy a case if it were distributed out here.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

Served at cellar temperature. 50th review.

A - Two finger, brown head into a Kuhnhenn tulip. Dark as night. Beautiful. Lacing alll the way down.

S - So complex. Chocolate. Coffee. Vanilla. Alcohol. Bourbon. Toffee. The Coffee Beanery. Freshly roasted. More bourbon on the back end.

T - Bliss. Perfectly balanced. I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype but it really has. Tastes exactly as it smells but slightly more intense on all flavors. Different nuances with every sip. Bourbon finish is constant and wonderful. Alcohol warms the tummy but doesn't burn my mouth. The warmer it gets the more you taste the actual barrel.

M - Creamy, thick, viscous. Carbonated coffee.

D - ABV is the only limiter. I will cherish my stash. A sipper, but a genuinely decadent treat.

Michigan beer is wonderful... it's hard to get a grade like this out of me.

Bottle from the 2014 batch

A. Dark brown almost black. Normal pour yielded 1/2 finger of head. Slight lacing and very little head retention.

S. Big whiff of chocolate followed by bourbon. Bitter coffee but it is a bit masked by the bourbon.

T. Chocolate, bourbon, and vanilla from the barrel. Bitter coffee on the finish and heat from the alcohol.

M. Lower to medium carbonation. Medium to thick mouth feel. Significant warming from the alcohol. This is 11.2% and I can tell.

O. This is one of the more chocolate forward beers that I have ever had. The coffee isn't as prevalent as I had expected. The heat is a bit much, so I'm hoping that with some age it'll mellow out. All things considered, this is a tasty brew and is something I'd like to drink again.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black color with a small brown, foamy head. Retention and lacing are both almost non-existent. Strong coffee and chocolate aroma. Some roasted malts. Bourbon is strong. Strong chocolate and coffee flavor with some big time bourbon and some vanilla. Medium to heavy bodied with low carbonation. Very good but cannot drink a lot.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Huge huge shout-out to cpferris for this bottle as part of his classic rock LIF. The regular Breakfast Stout stands as one of my all time favorites, so I am psyched to finally have a couple bottles of this.

Viscous and dark, no light stands a chance in hell of penetration. Brown highlights accents the edges with a thin layered cap of espresso colored head to top it off. This is an '09, so the carbonation has seemed to have faded a bit, but that's a sacrifice I'm more than willing to make for what time has done to the flavor profile.

Explosive aromas on the nose: bourbon whiskey on the forefront plus unmistakable scents of strong coffee, dark chocolate and just an iota of vanilla. I'm also picking up some hints of herbal/leaf elements in the background as well as mild whiffs of booze.

First taste reveals an affluence of malt sweetness, unleashing relentless waves of chocolate, caramel, as well as bourbon obviously. A slight herbal twang is present in the aftertaste, camouflaging the expected high ABV, which is rendered almost undetectable.

Medium bodied, this is actually a little lighter than I anticipated, but it still posses a silky smooth quality that makes it an absolute delight.

Overall, I have to say as much as I enjoyed this, I actually prefer the original Breakfast Stout. The bourbon seems to overbear the subtle nuances that are more apparent in the regular variety that make it my personal favorite stout, but this is still certainly a world class beer. Cheers!

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Review #100, bottled 2/25/11 vintage. Poured into a NB globe and allowed to warm up a bit.

KBS pours a very viscous dark-as-a-moonless-night black. No hints of any light come through even when directly held up to the lamp. A ever so slim tan head sticks around for a little bit. Some good lacing coats the glass as well.

The aromas are strong to say the least. Very powerful notes of dark chocolate, quality bourbon, some vanilla, caramel, and lots of roasted malt. Really deep and complex nose. Didn't get a ton of coffee but it was there.

Taste is just as great as the smell. Nice bourbon up front melds wonderfully with chocolate undertones. The roasted malts are pronounced and add another layer to savor. Some nice coffee notes also help pull everything together making for a phenomenal beer. A bit of alcohol warmth in there too.

Full bodied, very rich and smooth. Carbonation is pretty mild.

One of the best beers I've had in my short beer drinking career. A truly great stout that I'll be savoring as it warms up a bit in my glass.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

A very generous extra, courtesy of ShogoKawada (a million thanks!). Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Portsmouth tulip.

Opaque, charcoal-tinged seal brown with a low camel head which has decent retention despite being diminutive. Thick clear bands of tears suspend the fine lacing like specimens under slides.

Rich fresh roast coffee, brown butter, light toasted malt, and faint cocoa nibs in the nose. Hints of vanillin and coconut suggest bourbon, but it is free of solventy aromas.

Like dipping milk chocolate into Buffalo-Trace-spiked fresh french-press coffee, this is quite a drinking experience. Bold flavors duke it out, but no single taste emerges victorious. Brown sugar, anise, and light oaky notes round out the profile. Strong yet mellow finish with a lingering smokiness from the charred barrels and a faintly bittersweet aftertaste.

Thick, creamy, chewy, and lush, but with just enough carbonation - everything the style should be.

The ABV sneaks up on you a bit, so I don't recommend more than one of these for breakfast - the char begins to wear on the palate by the end of the glass as well, so I think the standard Breakfast Stout wins out in the drinkability contest.

A very impressive stout, worth seeking out if you love bourbon and black coffee.

4.47/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a bottle at Joe Canal's Black Friday sale a week ago so it's got almost 8 months on it at this point.

Appearance: Jet black with a nice mocha head that sticks around for a while. Lacing all over the glass at is disappears. Pretty stout.

Smell: coffee, chocolate, and a nice sweet bourbon smell. Exceptional smelling bourbon barrel stout. Little roasty too.

Taste: Bourbon out front and coffee follows immediately. Even with a bit of age on it it's still has a great balance to it. It's a sipper, but not because of the heat (which is non existent) or intense bourbon barrel flavor. It's just delicious. The flavors come together wonderfully. I definitely think it deserves the hype it gets.

Moutfeel: A little thin, suprisingly. I expected this to have a bit more chewiness to it to be honest. I'd say this is it's one minor flaw.

Overall: Hunt this beer down, trade for it, whatever (don't chase trucks...that's lame). It's worth a bit of effort and certainly worth the price ($5-9 for 12 oz). Top 5 stout for me.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

It’s not often a “Top 15” Best of BA beer is given to me (or loosely traded for). This beer has stared at me too long. It is time to pop it...

Really dark brown in hue with an infusion of black ink; impressive. I love dark foam; the bubbles were a lovely shade of brunette. At the apex the head was a half finger tall, sadly the bubbles collapsed quickly to a thin, soapy cap. I suppose the lack of head retention can be expected. The subsequent lacing was spotty and not widespread. For some reason I was expecting a dark (thicker looking?) beer. Of course I want better head retention and more lace. What a fucking complainer. Yeah, this beer looks like shit. Christ, how can I really complain about this beer’s appearance?

The nose is a dead-on match for an iced-mocha espresso with a shot of bourbon! I can clearly detect the “regular” Breakfast Stout qualities. I looked back at my review for that beer and I noted, “The first thing that popped into my mind as I took my first sniff was how much it reminds me of Thunderhead’s award winning Black Sheep Espresso Stout. I wish I could do a side-by-side sniff test… I smell amble roasted coffee notes, dark chocolate, a hint of sweetness and a roasted/acidic finish.” That is all true for this version. The bourbon aging is very subtle, especially compared to Goose Islands Bourbon County Stout. Don’t get me wrong the bourbon notes are hardly hidden but I was expecting more. Damn you Craft Beer Radio! Moderate-high potency, very complex and chatty… I am impressed. It is not the earth shattering event I was expecting but it was awesome nevertheless! It is time I take a sip.

Thunderous palate… wow. The bourbon heat is scorching on the throat. Hot. Pain. Pain is good. I think I am getting heartburn. Seriously. It is taking quite a few sips before I can deconstruct any sort of beery aspects. Like the nose I am detecting ample amounts of iced espresso and coffee grounds. Bitter baker’s chocolate, some vanilla, a kiss of oak, some dark chocolates, dark berries, chocolate covered cherries, hints of caramel and malted balls. Hell, there is even a slight earthy underbelly. Warm, smoky, alcoholic, sweet finish… it is oh so luscious. The palate is very special. However, personally, I think I prefer both the original Breakfast Stout and Goose Island Bourbon County. Can you imagine pouring both those beers into one glass? Holy Shit!

Almost full body, low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel was almost perfect. It is surely big enough but I found it almost slick and oily. Maybe this is nitpicking. Nevertheless the mouthfeel fits this beer very well. The aftertaste is remarkable, hot and lingering with plenty of maltiness and bourbon. My belly is warm. My brain is soaked. My mouth is worn-out (but in a very good way!).

Powerful. Complex. Alcoholic. And yet it is damn drinkable. This is yet another amazing beer from Founders. Michigan is golden for great beer. While I might prefer Breakfast Stout I am very, very grateful that RedHaze graciously supplied me a bottle of this succulent beer. I hope I can try this again… I really like it. But, really, who wouldn’t? It is big and beefy but with plenty of complexity and depth. Highly Recommended.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

S: Fresh roasted coffee, dark chocolate, restrained bourbon

L: Thick black, tan head that dissipates.

T: Bourbon sweetness up front followed by rich roasted coffee. Solid medium bitterness and alcohol leads to a wave of bourbon and chocolate sweetness. Finishes fairly sweet with more bourbon and touch of roasty coffee.

M: Medium full body, medium low carbonation.

Fantastic, i feel like the bourbon was stronger than i remembered when i tried last years. But i'm not complaining, a very good beer.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

2009 Version: new bottle design, new glass, my Sam Adams broke earlier this fall unfortunately but replaced by the New Belgium snifter. Now that I've had a number of more massively hyped beers. I am going to keep my original rating intact because it was one of the most amazing beer experiences in my young career. Appearance suffers slightly to my jaded eyes, the head is just as dark as I remember but doesn't last as long, spread out over more surface area. Lacing not as sticky. Aroma is again incredibly good as I remember, maybe even a bit more heavy on the bourbon side that seems to mask some of the past woodiness I remember and the vanilla. Taste is phenomenal again a bit hot but still amazing, lots of bourbony heat, vanilla, oak and cocoa with the smoothest mouthfeel this side of anything. Just about lives up to the hype I remember. I would go and seek more of this stuff out because damn it's good, but I think I've had better. Abyss comes to mind, Ten Fidy holds up pretty well and one of my faves of all time GIBCS, some great shit all around.

2009 rating A: 4 S: 4.5 T: 4.5 MF: 4.5 D: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into one of those new Sam Adams glasses.

A: Pours about the deepest and thickest blacks I've ever seen in a beer, the head is darker than at least 3/4 of all the beers I've ever tried, with a thick milk chocolate colored one inch creamy head that lasts surprisingly long and leaves a decent amount of lacing considering how much alcohol is in this beer.

S: Fresh, just about the freshest ground coffee aroma I've ever come across in a beer, like walking into a tiny corner coffee shop, but along with this comes an incredibly strong dark chocolate aroma backed by a subled bourbon and vanillia that is nearly masked by the first two aromas, but is still able to be dected, for as powerful as the coffee and chocolate flavors are in this beer there is a subtle balance going on between all of these aromas the prevents this from becoming too cloyingly sweet.

T/MF: Super thick and creamy mouthfeel but also stongly bittering as well, this bitterness seems to offset the smoothness and provides an excelent counterpoint to this inital smoothness. The taste is worth the hype I think, the first thing I notice is the woodiness of the beer, slightly smoked flavor with strong coffee and chocolate undertones which give way, as the beer warms a bit in the mouth to the more boozy aspect of this beer when vanilla and bourbon highlights begin to become more of a focal point. This beer just melts in your mouth but there is just enough carbonation to lift every flavor exactly where it needs to be. The oaky wood flavors coupled with a slightly smoky chocolate and coffee all work wonderfully together with the vanilla and bourbon. The beer says it is 10% ABV but it hides it so well that you can only really detect a subtle heat the only works to keep the beer from becoming too sweet. Everything is where it should be nothing is out of place, wonderfully crafted, worth the hype and then some.

D: This beer is damn fine to drink, not a session or easy to drink but why would anyone want to pound this beer anyway. The super long finish almost makes you want to stop drinking and enjoy the lingering flavors but one sniff and you are right back there, begging for more, I am so glad I have more than one of these.

2008 Rating A: 5 S: 5 T: 5 MF: 5 D: 5

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Ahh, the elusive KBS. Been trying to get my hands on one of these for about a year. Thanks to Hooliganlife, I can finally taste this fabled brew on this lazy Sunday morning ...hey, if it has "breakfast" in it's name, who am I to argue?. Here we go. 2010 vintage.

Appearance. Pours thick and pretty much black, like hot dirty engine oil. Just a skim of brown head.

Smell. Bourbony vanilla, some sweet chocolate and booze with a little roasty coffee. Smells nice and rich.

Taste. Wow. Coffee, bourbon, vanilla and chocolate all fairly mellow, but blend to form a rich and ballanced flavour. Some roasty bitterness present at first, which fades into the flavours mentioned with just enough booze to compliment.

Mouthfeel. Full body with lower, smooth carbonation. Just a little warmth.

Overrall. Really nice beer here. The flavours are all nicely balanced and just a hint of sweetness which makes this beer fairly easy to drink despite it's enormity. Then again, why would you want to drink it any fasster than you would have to? This one is to be savoured.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to jmu500 for this one.

Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A: Pitch black dark with the darkest head I've ever seen. Pores fairly thick . No light gets through this one. The head is on par with the color of chocolate milk and coats the sides of the glass with nice lacing.

S: Wonderful strong smell here. Bourbon, vanilla, coffee, cream, and a touch of oatmeal all blend together for a stinging complex nose.

T: Coffee, roasted malts, and a nice layer of bourbon and vanilla all fill the tastebuds. My first bourbon aged stout, but this sets an enormous bar for the rest to come.

M: Rich with moderate to low carbonation. Would think this beer would be more creamy being a stout. A little thin, but surprisingly the bourbon kind of flows with this feel in my opinion.

D: From what I've read this one goes down very smooth. For me, the bourbon takes a little out of the drinkability. Warms up the stomach and nose during consumption.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

First review. Can't believe I've never reviewed and have been on BA for a while.

2011 12oz Bottle. Bottled on 2/25/11.

A- Pours pitch black with a small tan head. No light getting through this baby.

S- Bourbon upfront followed by vanilla and dark Belgium chocolate.

T- Lot's of fresh coffee upfront, dark Belgium chocolate, bourbon, vanilla, burnt sugar. Coffee and slight boozy aftertaste.

M- Low carbonation, but very creamy and smooth.

O- Wow, thought this might be a booze bomb, but is incredibly well balanced and dangerously drinkable. One of the tastiest and most unique beers I've had in a while. Have another bottle to age and hoping to grab a couple more bottles.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Appearance- Poured rich and dark, nice caramel colored foam collar.

Smell- Full smell, with vanilla, coffee and caramel hints.

Taste- This is where it kind of lost me. It tasted like a good Imperial Stout should, until the after taste where it hit me like I had just taken a shot of less than premium whiskey. Good thing is, it encouraged me to take another drink quickly to replace the taste.

Mouthfeel- Not overly carbonated and the perfect heaviness for the style.

Drinkability- The texture of it was great, and it went down smooth, up until the after taste.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

I was lucky to get this beer... Joe at Julio's had a four-pack left in his cooler, and he had someone go get it for me at one of their beer fests. (Which are VERY good events, by the way, and well worth attending.)

This beer had a thin layer of head off the pour made of small foamy bubbles. It died quickly. I had expected a bit more, but perhaps I was a bit timid in pouring.

Aroma first hit me with very strong roasted malts. Then notes of coffee, dark bitter cocoa (not chocolate, but pure cocoa powder) and hints of vanilla and bourbon came through. As it warmed, the alcohol became more noticeable in the nose.

Taste again was initially very strong dark roasted malts. Then coffee flavors flowed in, with a slight fruitiness. Overtones of oak and bourbon wafted around, and the finish was a long one, full of roasted barley flavors.

Mouthfeel was smooth and silky... wonderful.

Drinkability was excellent. It went down easily, and I could have had another without a problem, although it would have knocked me on my ass. I can't wait to see what aging does to this one. The other three bottles are cellaring.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Received thanks to a trade with jrob21. Well worth the wait!

Pours black with a burnt tan, quickly dissipating head.

Smell is over the top coffee/espresso, huge roast notes, liquorice, caramel, toffee, vanilla.

Taste is coffee, nuts, bit of chocolate, vanilla, and some booze.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light, but coats the mouth, right amount of carbonation.

Delicious and amazing, well balanced, great great beer.

4.47/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

(2016 release) This seasonal imperial stout from Founders is a great-looking beer: a giant pebbly brown head lasts nicely atop an impenetrable black body, devoid of highlights save for a slight orange glimmer at its base; lacing is quite good, consisting of bands and caverns. The nose is medium-big in intensity; it leads with bourbon and oak, backed by subdued milk chocolate, brown sugar and modest alcohol undertones. The palate is a seamless blend of bourbon, milk chocolate and molasses riding atop a quite assertive undercurrent of alcohol; it lands just a bit on the sweet end of the balance. The finish is a good hit of booze and chocolate, followed by the onset of a slight chocolate flavor that lingers, with a modest oaky bitterness, for a few minutes. Mouthfeel is on point for the full body, and quite warming; the texture is viscous, sticky/creamy, and slightly peppery from the well-expressed carbonation. The bourbon character is nicely done- it is central to the flavor and aroma, but not domineering in either case. While the oak is very prominent on the nose, on the palate it plays coy, declining to act the diva as can sometimes be the case with barrel-aged stouts. (12 oz bottle, 73 days after pkg)

G: Oversized snifter.

A: Pours very, very dark and thick with a single-finger caramel-colored head, which has plenty of carbonation and air bubbles. Head recedes quickly; nice lacing.

S: Coffee and dark chocolate. A little bit of hops. Bourbon presence with a little bit of alcohol.

T: Burnt espresso to go with the bourbon; lots of malt and a little bit of hops to go along with the alcohol. Chocolate and creamy flavors linger after the beer goes down. Hints of caramel and vanilla as well. Incredibly complex--each sip brings something new.

M: Incredibly smooth. Unbelievably sooth and medium-bodied in the mouth, with the perfect amount of carbonation and a striking alcohol presence, which is not overpowering. Simply lovely.

D: Very drinkable for the style and ABV. It's a shame I was only able to pick up two bottles--hopefully I can scrounge some more up somewhere else.

03/21/11 - Bottled 02/25/11

12oz to snifter

Ahhh... Spring is finally here... and it's snowing?... this is fine with me, perfect time for my first KBS.

A: Pours an espresso-black with 3/4" cinnamon colored head that was fairly short lived but rich looking nonetheless.

S: Big, Bold, Beautiful - A balance of sweet bourbon, a little more bourbon, charred oak woodiness, coffee, and a bit of chocolate. Didn't pickup on the vanilla, but perhaps it was lost in the bourbon.

T: Kickass layers of awesome. Bourbon starts the dance and is quickly joined by thick dark chocolate, rich coffee, and sweet vanilla (ahh vanilla, I missed you in the nose, but so glad you joined the party) alcohol adds a nice bit of warm spice to the mix. Finish is slighty dry bitter chocolate and splash of bourbon goodness.

M: A hot big bodied beer with thick ankles. The alcohol doesn't hide but doesn't need to as the rest of the components have no problem playing their parts. A super smooth sipper.

O: This tastes like a lil' chuck of vanilla fudge bathed in bourbon then covered in a thick layer of dark chocolate and dipped in bourbon again for good measure. I'm so glad there's snow on the ground to look at while I drink this. I'd welcome a few more inches just so I could run outside to shovel and crack my second bottle as a reward. Spring sucks.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.
2011 release (bottled 2/25).

pours a velvety jet black with a thin, mocha-colored head that quickly dissipates (unsurprising on that count given the strength); a bit of patchy lacing evident. good presentation, though nothing i haven't seen in a dozen or so other imperial stouts.

nose is bold and complex, offering strong notes of coffee, chocolate, roasted malt and vanilla... in the background i get a booze, oak, and the bourbon. it's not a BCBS or older viscosity-like bourbon bomb; more subdued.

flavor follows the aroma very closely - chocolate, coffee, vanilla, roastiness, bourbon, and a bit of oak: it's all there. delicious. borderline world-class. maybe world class. a slight touch of hops as well as alcohol in the finish. i think the booziness is going to keep it from a perfect five, but with a bit of age...

velvety, smooth, medium-full mouthfeel with average carbonation. in the final analysis this is a truly great beer, one of those rare breeds that lives up to substantial hype; if only it you could get your hands on more than a bottle or two for 6 fleeting seconds once a year. i'd put it behind BCBS on my personal barrel-aged stout list, but that's hardly a knock considering goose island's product is on a short list of my favorite overall beers.

originally reviewed: 03-18-2011

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Birthday Breakfast made possible by either Mid or mdfb79. Two great traders that sent me one of these.

12oz into a goblet fit for a King!
2011 vintage I believe

A: KBS pours a deep dark chestnut brown that sits a dark oily black in the glass. Forms a thin rim of turbinado sugar that settles down to a crown leaving light spotted tracks of creamy lace.

S: Smells of dark roasted malts with a big bourbon kissed oak influence. Alcohol noted with some lesser aromas of chocolate, caramel, and a dash of black licorice. Really nice with evident bourbon character.

T: Tastes is incredibly rich with deep roasted cereal/grains, bourbon, vanilla, chocolate, and earthy oak. I get secondary flavors of coffee, toasted caramels, and bit of earthy spice hops. Brings in a slight bitter touch to things. Some warming booziness flares at the nostrils but this is amazingly smooth for an 11%+ ABV brew. Bourbon barrel treatment is masterful. Strong and forward but not domineering. Thick, filling and slightly sweet but not syrupy. Just a real delight.

M: Feel is a bit heavier but not incredibly thick. Super creamy with a great silky texture. Oily sleek coating across the palate.

D: A real showcase of what bourbon barrel aging should be. Artfully crafted and incredibly smooth with layers of burnt toast, chocolate, coffee, vanilla, and oak.

A great breakfast sipper. Would gladly trade for more.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company