Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,071 | Ratings: 12,097
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Review #500... Woo Hoo!! 12 oz from the cellar.. I believe I got this bottle from Archer Liquors... Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

2 finger head took a few minutes to dial back.. looks like a thicker cappuccino.. pretty lacing... brew is completely pitch black.

Aroma is expected chocolate.. French roast.. and subtle bourbon... vanilla with some soft toasty oak.

Flavor is like boutique store fudge.. but spiked with coffee beans.. some coffee liquor.. deep dark dried fruits.. waves of milky chocolate mid palate... bourbon notes don't taste of alcohol, more like just what my mind imagines bourbon to be.. no burn.. just pure flavor from the beginning to the long luscious finish.... some coffee acidity as it hits room temperature. Body is thick and smooth.. velvety.. this is a sipping beer for sure.. I've been enjoying it for more than an hour now.

4.5/4.5/4.5/5/4

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

That is one hell of an aroma. Beautiful rich espresso riding on luscious dark chocolate. Hints of dark fruits hide in the background. Taste the beer? But I'm having so much fun smelling it..

Well, that taste lives up to the hype. That same decadent espresso wrapped in dark chocolate hits you up front. The coffee, thankfully, never gets to be bitter or astringent as can happen with coffee beers. Tasty, funky dark fruits play a much stronger role in the taste. Alcohol is present but not unwelcome. Slightly bitter hoppy finish.

After getting used to the flavors a bit more, I am slightly less impressed. Still very good, but some of the flavors clash just slightly.

Mouthfeel is overall quite good.

Drinkability is very good.

Highly recommended. Definitely one of the better imperial stouts out there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to OlieIPA for hooking me up with this.

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium globe glass, this beer pours motor oil-black. An aggressive pour yields about one-finger of head that's solid brown in color as it settles to a patchy layer, leaving behind lots of spotty lacing on the glass.

S- A sharp smell of bitter coffee and roasted, chocolatey malts with some rough edges of charred oak barrel. A trace of bourbon lingers in the background, but you really have to dig for it.

T- Lots of coffee and roasted malts up front, but these flavors gradually subside to a slightly bitter finish that's accompanied by a mildly boozy taste of bourbon. I would have liked the bourbon character to be more prominent in the taste of this beer, but I do appreciate how well-integrated it is. Very drinkable and coffee-like.

M- The mouthfeel is full-bodied and slightly syrupy with gentle carbonation. Maybe just a little on the thin side though.

D- The 10% ABV is very well-hidden, and this beer is pretty light on the stomach for a barrel-aged stout. I felt like I could easily have two of these in a sitting.

Bottled 2/17/2012

Poured a dark black that was totally non-translucent. Produced virtually no head and has just the slightest dark mocha colored lacey ring around the glass. I don't drink many stouts these days so it's pretty uncommon for me to see brews this dark. First aromas are of sweetened coffee, slight chocolate, hints of caramel and roast, Kaluha, deep malts and of course... bourbon! Unlike Goose Island BCS, this one is not over the top on the bourbon alcohol booziness tastes. The chocolate coffee is complimented by just the right amount of bourbon. As the brew warms, I notice the bourbon tastes becoming a bit more prevalent. It has a very crisp mouthfeel, not very heavy or sludgy. 11.2% abv? Seems about right. Perhaps even a bit smooth for that high of an alcohol content. Glad I finally got to try the infamous KBS. Worth a taste! Hopefully I can find it on tap some time.

Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured like dirty, black,sludgy motor oil. Darkest beer I think I've ever poured.
Smell was HEAVY roasted coffee, light chocolate, and very slight booze.
Taste is black coffee with a hint of bitter chocolate and light booze hitting in the middle. The bitterness and booze linger a bit in the finish.
A rich, full bodied brew. Drinks smooth though and the booze never overpowers the beer. Well balanced. Drinkability is a lot higher than I expected for 11.2% ABV. Glad I had the chance to try it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A- Pours a deep black with minimal light coming in around the edges. The head is pretty typical of this style of beer, barely a cap on it and settles on the edges. There is pretty good lacing left on the side of the glass.

S- Rich dark chocolate with a heavy dose of coffee. A good amount of toasted malt in there as well. The bourbon melds well with the other scents and doesn't take over. When it warms, the oak comes out as well.

T- Dark chocolate with a little bit of coffee and a nice brown sugar in there as well. The bourbon seems to add a smooth undertone to the beer. The alcohol becomes a little more present as the beer warms up. Very nice balance all around.

M- This is a full bodied beer that coats the mouth and provides some bitterness on the tongue and a little bit of a dry finish. You also get a little warming the back of the throat from the alcohol. It has a little more carbonation that some other beers of the style but the thicker mouthfeel makes up for it.

D- This beer is a sipper for sure but it is smooth and rich. I would have no problem having a consecutive glasses of this. I would have to say this is more balanced that the regular Breakfast Stout and not as bold of a coffee flavor. Should be interesting to see what a little bit of age does to this beer.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

Most recent vintage, a.k.a. 'KBS.' Served in my Bell's tulip glass.

Pours ominously dark, like a strong cup o' joe, with only a sliver of brown lacing. On the lips, it is surprisingly silky, almost oily, not nearly as thick as the color would have you believe. Taste is - wow, starting sweet, maybe with some alcohol hotness, then turning into dark chocolate, bitterness coming out, espresso flavors in the finish. Based on the smoothness of the mouthfeel and the flavors that remain interesting throughout, it is highly drinkable, though the alcohol will catch up to you.

I don't know if it's worth the hype necessarily, but it's a good beer.

bottle poured into snifter

A - Pitch black, tiny tan head that leaves little lacing around the glass.

S - Taste of vanilla beans with some coffee roast and lots of bourbon.

T - First taste is complete bourbon, with hints of coffee and dark malts.

M - Medium-full bodied, nice coating.

D - This beer is phenomenal , definitely will be aging some bottles.

2010 version into a goblet

A - Poured out an opaque, jet black color with a one finger, bubbly, caramel-colored head of foam. It left thin rings of sticky lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of coffee, chocolate and bourbon. These three aromas were all very balanced, none overpowered the others. There were very mild notes of vanilla and toffee.

T - Some boozy, bourbon flavors with dark roasted coffee flavors. Nice chocolate, caramel and toffee flavors, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied beer with some warm alcohol heat.

D - First of all, it's delicious and fairly easy drinking considering its potency.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a (overpriced) single earlier this week at Table & Vine. Luckily, my awesome girlfriend picked me up a 4-pack out in Worcester today, so I feel fine about drinking this now. Pours a truly evil shade of black, nice creamy 1-finger tan head. Looks good the whole time and leaves some nice lacing. Smell is incredible, smells like rich vanilla bourbon, throw some great chocolate and oak/caramel and you've got the smell of this beer. If I blindly smelled this I would probably think it's some chocolate mix drink. I only pick up a very slight coffee scents. Taste seems to be chocolate right off the bat, followed by strong tastes of bitter roasted coffee, then finishes with a vanilla/strong bourbon taste. I truthfully pick up a bit more bourbon in the nose than in the taste. It is an extreme taste at times though, sitting on the tongue long after a sip and burning the nostrils slightly. The alcohol is definitely a bit much but it has a great warming affect. Mouthfeel is definitely more creamy than thick, coats the mouth nicely. Definitely hot on the mouth and throat especially with booze though. Drinkability I gotta pin at a 3.5 because of that too. Overall another excellent beer from Founders, but the alcohol is too hot and the flavors don't jump out enough. I don't think it really lives up to the hype, fresh anyways. As of right now I prefer the regular Breakfast Stout, but I'm going to save the rest for at least a year and re-review/put notes here...

*More notes - 3/17/11 - 1 year old bottle*

Alcohol is toned down for sure from the fresh bottle, but still a little hot for my tastes. The chocolate and coffee are really intense, and balance out the bourbon nicely, tastes linger on the tongue long afterwords as it writhes from the madness. Smooth oily mouthfeel, low carbonation, feels a bit thin to me though. Very roasty and strong. Too hot for me to consider it one of the best stouts I've had, but undeniably excellent flavors here. Overall I did prefer the aged bottle to the fresh one.

2015 Bottle
Pours jet black with a 1/2" caramel head. The aroma is strong coffee, dark chocolate, some bourbon, vanilla & molasses notes. Taste is like the nose, roasted coffee, dark chocolate, balanced with bourbon and vanilla oak. Has a oak dry finish. Full bodied with more carbonation than expected.

Would preferred less carbonation and thought the finish was quite oaky & dry.

Overall- first time experiencing KBS and must say it lives up to the hype. A very well crafted and delicious beer. Complex and balanced.

'09 KBS 12 oz bottle poured in tulip snifter

A: Black as night. When held up to light, nothing penetrates. Half inch of dark tan head recedes but leaves lots of sticky lacing

S: Very nice combination of aromas going on----dark/bitter chocolate, coffee, molasses, dark fruits, slight bourbon, slight vanilla and booze.

T: All the above mentioned aromas blend very nicely in the taste with a nice finish of bourbon and booze. The bourbon is perfect, the booze is a little too much. Everything blends together very nicely. If the booziness was a little less I would have given it a 5.

M: Thick-bodied! Very full mouthfeel on this one. This is how a big stout should be.

D: As mentioned above, the booziness detracts a little from the drinkability of this, along with the 11.2% abv

I first sampled this last year when I first picked it up and it was much 'hotter'. It has definitely dissipated quite a bit but is still a little on the hot side. With that said, this is a very well-done, big stout. I still have another '09 to have, along with a couple of '10's. Another gem from Founders!!!!

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

2010 vintage in a trade from chcfan. Thanks, Chris!

A: Absolutely pitch black with a brownish coffee tint (may be my imagination). No light penetration when held to a lamp. Pours with half a finger of tan-colored head, which recedes into a collar with light filming on top of the brew. No lacing.

S: Coffee, caramelly bourbon, dark chocolate, oak, vanilla, and some booze sting.

T: Follows the nose perfectly. Coffee and bourbon are quite strong; I know this isn't barrel-aged FBS, but I swear that's the first thing that comes to mind. Vanilla and roasted malt, with the mid-taste seeing a rounded out coffee and dark chocolate bitterness. Oak hints throughout, but the finish is all alcohol and chocolate, with a pleasant warmth on the way down (an occasional burn, though). Very impressive.

M: Velvety and creamy from the full body and low carbonation. A little alcohol warmth at the end of a swig, but it's not fusel-y.

D: The recipe change threw me off a bit last year, but the 2010 vintage is amazing. I enjoy this more than Peruvian Morning (another bourbon coffee stout), and more than some other competitors in the style. Really top-notch stuff, and it amazes me that it's so plentiful and relatively cheap. I should get a case of this or something.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

Pours a nice black color with a slight brownish colored head.

Bourbon. No avoiding that but at the same time, one sip you get the dark chocolate aroma, while the next is an espresso, then a sweet molasses, etc. Keeps you guessing which one will pop up as you drink.

Lightish mouth feel. Not bad, but the barrel aging has thinned down the oatmeal base maybe a touch too much.

Still very drinkable, even at the higher ABV.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

I've had the opportunity to have this beer for the past 3-4 years, both in bottles and on tap. To be perfectly honest, I enjoy it more fresh (as I've also had aged varieties both on tap and from a bottle). The more it ages, the more alcohol / bourbon I taste. While some prefer this, I prefer the alcohol/bourbon taste to be present, yet more mild.

I would give the 'fresh' (if you can call a beer aged a around a year in bourbon barrels such a thing) KBS a rating of 4.75, while the aged KBS rates 4.25.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours midnight black, no foam, little/no carbonation. very intriguing, you couldn't see a spotlight shined directly on this thing! I am ready to jump right in and taste the hype.

S - coffee, chocolate, expresso, caramel notes, reminds me of a starbucks double shot.

T - am I drinking a beer or a coffee? it's got a very nice stout taste, lots of coffee flavors, definitely taste some chocolate, and even seems a bit creamy, reminding me of an irish coffee. I also can taste the bourbon flavoring quite well.

M - not as thick as it looks, very smooth and no carbonation at all. the alcohol is there but do not feel any burn

D - 11.2% Holy Shit! I don't feel any burn at all. I might need to wake up to a KBS every morning to start my day off right! I would have again, wouldn't mind aging one of these beasts for a year or so and tasting again.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Glad to finally get ahold of a bottle. Looking forward to trying it and found a nice cool evening even in June to enjoy.

The beer pours a very dark and truly opaque black. Not even the slightest hint of ruby or brown along the edges of the glass to let in the light. The mocha colored head briefly fights to maintain its height, but eventually falls to a foamy collar.

The scent is wonderful and complex. Slight char from the oak barrels and a nice roasted scent without being overwhelming. Nice hints of vanilla and maybe even a touch of allspice. A bit of dark sugar and treacle to round things out.

The flavor is not an overpowering onslaught I had anticipated. No doubt it's a big beer, but it's a nice complexity rather than a strong punch of flavor. The vanilla comes through nicely giving a sweet impression. This fades to the dark sugar and roasted flavors. The oak and bourbon inter plays nicely rather than feeling layered on as can sometimes be the case. Finishes with a slightly bitter roasted bight, but still comes off as silky smooth. No astringency. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy.

Overall a fantastic brew. Wish it was more readily available, but the long aging time must make it difficult to distribute to a wide audience. Glad I had the chance to enjoy it and will keep an eye out each year.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very very black color. Had a wonderful charred bourbon aftertaste that i really liked after the third sip. Once again like the darklord I taste a very dark chocolate like a 72% or higher of coco. I did prefer this beer over the Darklord.
This is also another beer that i think only one bottle would be my fill since it is so heavy, but i savored it and drank it slow. I wonder what bourbon barrel it was in to get that taste. Maybe a makers mark or a pappy van winkel if we are lucky.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It was great - a phenomenal beer. I had the 2015 version. Recently had 2013 & 2014 BCBS which I thought were both superior to this though. My take was that KBS '15 should age a bit. There was a sharpness to it that made me think the edge could be smoothed out with a little more time. I have one more that I'll wait on. It was still an incredibly delicious beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle (bottled 03Mar15) into a Spiegelau stout glass.
LOOK: Pours with a half finger's worth of khaki foam that halves itself after 50 seconds. Black in color with orange tint. Rising bubbles are very small in size and moderate in quantity. Lacing is thick and moderate.
SMELL: Strong aromas of molasses, figs, and plums, entangle with mild aromas of vanilla, sweet chocolate, sweet coffee, and subtle aromas of oak, bourbon, and bitter roasted malts.
TASTE: Initial taste is of strong molasses, fig, and plum flavors. Mild sweet chocolate, vanilla, and sweet coffee flavors enter right after. Next, enters mild flavors of oak along with subtle flavors of bourbon and bitter roasted malts as all flavors persist, except for vanilla and coffee, which grow stronger.
FEEL: Full-bodied with hints of carbonation. Goes down smoother than a Keystone and creamier than cream itself. Finishes with a moderate dryness.
NOTE: An amazing imperial stout, however, I feel this is strongly hyped. I have definitely had better.
______________________________
2016 Release
Poured at 48°F from a 12oz bottle (bottled on 12Feb16) into a Spiegelau Stout glass. Allowed to warm up to 50°F before reviewing. Consumed on 11May16.
LOOK: A fingers worth of dense, cinnamon colored foam is formed after the initial pour. Well after 3 minutes, the foam head hasn't receded, but has only become slightly less dense and has changed color to khaki. Black in color with an orange luster. A plethora of small, rising bubbles explains the head's refusal to die. Lacing is high in quantity and both thick and very thick.
SMELL: Strong aromas of coconut, sweet chocolate, and sweet coffee entangle with mild bourbon and oak aromas. Subtle aromas of vanilla and molasses further contribute to the complexity of the sweetness while hints of bitter roasted malts join the bourbon aromas in bringing balance to the brew.
TASTE: A wondrous sweetness takes hold of the palate as strong sweet chocolate, sweet coffee, and coconut flavors enter. Mild bourbon flavors grab onto the palate right after and ensure that no cloying takes place. Sweet coffee flavors fade to mild as mild molasses along with subtle vanilla and oak flavors make their debut. Hints of bitter roasted malts trail lastly as chocolate, coffee, and coconut flavors maintain, but bourbon, molasses, vanilla, and oak flavors all grow slightly stronger.
FEEL: The thickness of the beer lies somewhere between medium-bodied and full-bodied. Given that this is an Imperial Stout, that is quite disappointing. Carbonation levels are subtle. The beer goes down smooth and creamy. Due to the large alcoholic presence, this finishes with a strong and unpleasant dryness.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

What an exceptional beer. This has been on the list of beers I've been wanting to try since the second I heard about it. Founders has continued to not disappoint with their offerings.

It pours beautifully with a short dense light brown head. It holds onto a nice little film of foam which leaves lacing down the side of the glass. Really exceptional aroma. Huge coffee notes, with mild mocha chocolate and light bourbon in the background. The taste is the same, with a mild pleasant alcohol burn. It is chocolate, coffee, creamy, and a very small dash of bourbon to add character. As a matter of fact, I was expecting a bit more of the bourbon -bal or oak in here, as i thought a touch more vanilla would be really nice with the other flavors. As such, it is extraordinarily balanced. The mouthfeel is creamy and full bodied. Really happy with founders on this beer. Delicious beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This rated #1 in our top 10 stout sampling and I am reviewing from the notes I took that night.

A- Pours a pitch black with just slight crimson when the glass is tilted.

S- Sweet malts and coffee dominate. There is some fruity sweetness and a slight chocolate note too.

T- Cherries, coffee and bitter chocolate. Huge taste with no holes at all. Nice hop balance. On my scale this one tied Speedway and lost by .5 to Dark Lord. I love the huge coffee presence.

M- Creamy and thick with a very mild carbonation.

D- This tastes so damn good which makes it very, very drinkable. Try it if you can find it.

Arooo!

A: Into the oversized Riedel snifter it goes. Pours thick like motor oil, almost as black too. Not a lot of carbonation going on…a head conjured quickly but fell just as quick leaving a slick across the top remaining.

S: Fully roasted and choc full of nuts. Copius amounts of freshly ground espresso, bitter bakers chocolate and some oily licorice dominate the nose. In the highs the bourbon can be found, especially as it warms.

T: Begins with strong brewed coffee, totally charred. Chocolate mousse like flavors accompany the coffee and create a quite decadent moment. The more I drink it, the more pronounced and exhilarating the vanilla becomes. Totally creamy, shares a lot of traits with a chocolate milkshake thanks to abundant lactose. They don’t try to hide the alcohol here, its present and accounted for. Only faint bourbon tastes, picking up most of the vanilla and not a lot of the astringent off flavors bourbon barrels can give.

M: Full body, creamy and rich. Perfect.

D: First sip I wasn’t impressed at all. This is one of those beers that definitely grows on you. In all honesty, I could certainly use some more bourbon character…I think it would have balanced well with the rest of the flavors. It’s a great stout but I don’t think it’s the best.

Dear God,
Please send more KBS down to Earth.
Amen

Dear Santa,
All I want for Christmas is more bourbon barrel aged beers. Maybe a redux of the Wood Aged Weekend? I will settle simply for a 6er of KBS, though. All I really need is that coffee and bourbon, The Big wood and vanilla, angry notes of black magic. Those things that make my gums tingle and my heart sing. Bittersweet. Perhaps some notes of chocolate and astringent wood and coffee.
I have been (mostly) good this year. I should not have set off bottle rockets inside of the indian casino, but other than that, I think I've been the model of "what is good." Thanks for listening,
Love,
Joe

PS: The most recent bottle I had was way better than the watered down version that was my first experience of KBS. That first one alone is what keeps this from more 5s.

Dammit, KBS. I'm going to have to make a shift in the ratings here on account of 2 of the 3 bottles now that I've had not being at all up to the amazing record. Only the middle bottle has been outstanding. The first was crazy over the top coffee, this one currently is bourboncentric. Those two were from the same trade. Zany, yes.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Service: Bottle
Bottled: 2015

A:
Thick opaque black with tight finger of brown velvet-bubbled head, settles to a film; some speckled lacing. (4)

S:
A rich melange of sweet roast flavors and bourbon. Chocolate, leather, vanilla, bourbon, old wood, smoke. (4.5)

T:
Smooth rich chocolaty roast flavors, coffee, nuts, oak with a splash of bourbon character and warmth with a soft vanilla/cocoa flavor at the end. (4.5)

M:
Smooth and creamy, full bodied, low carbonation, alcohol warmth in the finish. (4.25)

O:
Really nice BA Stout.
This one is a tasty, boozy beer that is very smooth and strikes a good balance between all the characteristics at work. The aromas are a smooth stream of chocolatey tones with a roasty, oily coffee backbone and some sweet roast notes. The flavor follows suit. The bourbon is at a nice level for my tastes. It is definitely there and can even be felt going down, but I don't feel like I am drinking whiskey like I do with some BA stouts. Based on it's heat, maybe this is cause the base beer is so crammed full of flavor that it overpowers the sharpness or maybe it's cause it's a year old? Either way, it is a smooth velvety beer, that is way too drinkable and manages to be straightforward and complex at once. Really nice. Hopefully I get to try it again at some point. (4.5)

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company