Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,042 | Ratings: 11,890
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a (overpriced) single earlier this week at Table & Vine. Luckily, my awesome girlfriend picked me up a 4-pack out in Worcester today, so I feel fine about drinking this now. Pours a truly evil shade of black, nice creamy 1-finger tan head. Looks good the whole time and leaves some nice lacing. Smell is incredible, smells like rich vanilla bourbon, throw some great chocolate and oak/caramel and you've got the smell of this beer. If I blindly smelled this I would probably think it's some chocolate mix drink. I only pick up a very slight coffee scents. Taste seems to be chocolate right off the bat, followed by strong tastes of bitter roasted coffee, then finishes with a vanilla/strong bourbon taste. I truthfully pick up a bit more bourbon in the nose than in the taste. It is an extreme taste at times though, sitting on the tongue long after a sip and burning the nostrils slightly. The alcohol is definitely a bit much but it has a great warming affect. Mouthfeel is definitely more creamy than thick, coats the mouth nicely. Definitely hot on the mouth and throat especially with booze though. Drinkability I gotta pin at a 3.5 because of that too. Overall another excellent beer from Founders, but the alcohol is too hot and the flavors don't jump out enough. I don't think it really lives up to the hype, fresh anyways. As of right now I prefer the regular Breakfast Stout, but I'm going to save the rest for at least a year and re-review/put notes here...

*More notes - 3/17/11 - 1 year old bottle*

Alcohol is toned down for sure from the fresh bottle, but still a little hot for my tastes. The chocolate and coffee are really intense, and balance out the bourbon nicely, tastes linger on the tongue long afterwords as it writhes from the madness. Smooth oily mouthfeel, low carbonation, feels a bit thin to me though. Very roasty and strong. Too hot for me to consider it one of the best stouts I've had, but undeniably excellent flavors here. Overall I did prefer the aged bottle to the fresh one.

4.17/5  rDev -8.6%

poured from bottle into poperings goblet ..it poured a black oil color with a small head i thought it was flat but alas here comes the bubbles and black cherry ring it has lots of sticky lacing on side of glass but a minimal head..the smell is vanilla bean and chocolate with smooth coffee mixed with bourbon and oak ..the taste is a smooth very smooth with roasted coffee/chocolate taste that hit the taste buds with vanilla bean /malt mixed with bourbon and hops in the background then i taste some fig and some caramel /raisins this is a nicely balanced and smooth stout..founders put alot of work into this especially with the aging process i bought a 4-pak and will drink 1 more then i will cellar the other 2 for a year if i can..what strikes me most about this stout again is how smooth it is and oh so drinkable

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle
1/2 into snifter @ 55 F
then 1/2 @ 50 F

A - Poured slowly: oily black with almost no head. Very dark with 0 - minimal visibility around the edges. 2nd 1/2 glass poured more vigorously to reveal an 1/8th inch tan/brown head that dissipates into light lacing.

S - Predominantly coffee with hints of oak, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, prunes and/or figs. Very nice!

T - Mildly boozy with coffee up front that develops into roasted coffee then chocolate/vanilla/oak flavors. Balanced by enough bitterness and sweetness to age very well (this is a newly released bottle) and as importantly, taste great now. Finishes with a dry roasted coffee flavor.

M - Thick and slightly oily/syrupy, but with carbonation that lifts into delicate small bubbles at the end.

D - This is dangerously delicious, but much better sipped, slurped, rolled, and savored.

... 20 min later... just swilled the KBS bottle with 1/2 a guinness stout and poured into the same snifter... added 1/2 oz Irish Whiskey 1/2 oz Irish Creme for a "car bomb." The tiny amount of KBS made it the best one I've ever had... try it!

3.84/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A= pours a pitch black color that at first I was worried that it was gonna be flat. After about a second in the glass a nice brown bubble skin rises out of the glass. The bubbles are few but do form an entire skin on the top of the beer for a little bit and then falls to a thin ring on the glass. No lacing to be seen.

S= Nice complexity here. There is a lot of coffee in it but the coffee is mixed in with a ton of other flavors. Nice oak and vanilla complements. Loads of dark chocolate as well. There is a real nice roastyness to the malts as well. Really a ton of nose to this one.

T= The beer starts again with a lot of coffee flavor. Then the oaky wood comes through with a smaller amount of vanilla. A little less vanilla than I usually get from Founders beers. There is a pretty decent amount of heat coming from the alcohol in it. The chocolate is deep and dark in this one too. The finish highlights the chocolate and heat in it.

M= Low carbonation making this a little more coating than the average stout. A little too much heat in the back making it burn a little.

D= Let this one warm up a bit for sure. This beer is good but I just don't see it living up to the hype that it recieves. Good impy stout but not quite the most amazing thing ever. Great beer but I'm gonna put some age on it and see how it does.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into pint glass. Served 50-55 F.
A: Opaque. Tan brown with thick frothy head. Leaves behind a thick sticky lace.
S: Coffee, chocolate, and woody.
T: Malts are very dark and toasted. Coffee is sharp and very chocolaty. Strong amounts of spice. Finishes with a biItter hoppy linger.
M: Sticky and syrupy, Very warming, and alcohol is strong.
D: Big beer. Top to bottom filled with flavor and alcohol. Smells as complex as it tastes and has a great mouthfeel.

3.96/5  rDev -13.2%

I imagine the degree of difficulty in creating something like this is pretty high. For that I really respect this beer.

However, one of the reasons I love beer is that is a unique experience. The taste and the buzz are unavailable elsewhere.

Flavor and experience-wise, this beer could be easily surpassed by pouring a 12-year-old bourbon into a French press Coffee.

That option is cheaper and better. The tastes of my favorite quads, tripels and IPAs, however, cannot be imitated so easily.

Sorry to go against the grain, but this is merely a B+.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

A - The appearance is very similar to the standard Breakfast Stout. Pours the color of motor oil with a half inch tan head that fades quicker than expected. Some nice soapy lacing remains.

S - This aroma is tremendous. Chocolate milk mixed with coffee and sugar. A deeper inhale produces the oak.

T - Huge amount of roasted malt upfront quickly mixes with some chocolate sweetness. This tastes much sweeter than I expected and almost like there is a shot of Hershey's in here. You get a little of the bourbon in the finish but this is not boozy at all. Top class.

M - This has almost a velvet feel on the tongue. Soft and smooth.

D - I could drink these all night. There would be no way to guess this is 11% if you couldn't see it printed on the bottle.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%

The critically acclaimed KBS. Was quite excited to see my local liquor store had a few four packs on the shelf. Lots of hype surrounding this, so here goes.

Poured into a Duvel Tulip.

A: Jet black with brownish hues. As I pour it, it doesn't have a ton of carbonation. This shows in the head, as there really isn't a whole lot. The 1/2 inch head I do get, dies quickly. Other than this, it looks like a nice black stout with an brownish head.

S: Now we're getting better. Chocolate and roastiness is there first. Definitely some coffee in here. This is followed up by vanilla and chocolately sweetness. The barrel notes round out the end with some woodiness and burnt coconut. Slight bourbon notes as well. Smells like a fine desert rather than a beer, but that is ok with me.

T: So flavorful and complex, where do I start? First I notice the stout components with roasty malts. This is followed up by strong coffee flavors. Not overpowering but a nice, faintly earthy roast. This is followed by a nice strong chocolate flavor. Not too dark, not to light, not too overpowering, but there. The chocolate blends with the pleasant malty sweetness. In the end a ton of stuff going on. Woody barrel flavors, a touch of vanilla, some burnt coconut and there's the bourbon. All of these are subtle but the bourbon seems to last a bit. Not overpowering but definitely there. The hops lend a necessary bitterness, but it ends there. Maybe some pine, but with all of the other flavors going on, the hops don't need to add much flavor.

M: Medium bodied. A bit on the lighter end for a bigger stout. The carbonation is a little lower than I'd normally like. Otherwise velvety and smooth.

D: This is an exceptional beer. Definitely lives up to its name. I'm glad I picked up a 4-pack because this will age well. Will be nice to compare it in years to come to the newer batches. I still think the Goose Island BCS is still my favorite for the Bourbon stouts. This comes in a close second however.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured a room-temperature bottle of the 2010 release Kentucky Bourbon Stout into a rinsed-out sippy cup.

..just kidding, it's in a large wine glass.

Pours black as night. Minimal dark brown head, that sorta sticks around the edges of the glass. Swirl the glass and the beer oozes down the sides. Neat.

Smell is strong with black coffee, charred oak, burnt toffee... and something else I can't quite place. Smells totally awesome.

Taste is chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and charred.. something (maybe more toffee). Lots of coffee and bourbon in the aftertaste. Crap, this is some good stuff.

Mouthfeel is super thick, almost the consistency of heavy cream. The bit of carbonation that's in the beer seems to load up on your tongue and make the beer seem really thick.

Drinkability is as high as an %11.2 abv beer could be. Can't taste much alcohol. Really, the most surprising thing about this beer is how balanced all the flavors are, and how nothing is all that overpowering.

Lives up to the hype. Fantastic. I only managed one 4-pack.. I had planned on putting at least a couple down for a year, but I really don't know how I'll manage that.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

had to try this on tap when we went to founders for $2 pint night.
8 oz pour into a snifter, 2010 batch.

a - pours black w/ some slight red highlights. a thick tan head forms quickly and retreats slowly to a ring around the glass with some spotty lacing.

s - oak, roasted malts and sweet, sweet booze.

t - fantastically complex! roasted and chocolate malts are obvious, with overtones of smoke, molasses and vanilla. perfectly balanced with a bittersweet hop finish.

m - smooth and creamy without being too heavy. enough carbonation to make the flavors really pop.

d - surprisingly drinkable for something so rich and strong. founders clearly put some love into this brew. got a bottle of this in the beer fridge that i'm gonna try to sit on for a while, this should age pretty well.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

Appearance - Pours a nice motor oil black. Literally looks like that stuff thats been sitting in the oil pan. Pours with a small head which quickly dissolves, however a nice lace is left throughout.

Smell - Initial smell is definitely a nice bourbon and boozy smell, definitely smell the alcohol in this brew. This initial smell is followed by nice strong coffee and chocolate aroma. Strangely enough I definitely smelt some vanilla as well.

Taste - Bourbon is definitely present in the taste, followed by chocolate and coffee. The bourbon feel definitely continues throughout. This reminds me of those cold "tailgate mornings" where you add a little nip to your coffee for extra warmth.

Mouthfeel - Nice mouthfeel. The booze makes it a little drying, but the malt presence is very nice for such a strong beer.

Drinkability - Definitely a good beer to split with a friend. I had the entire 11.2oz bottle to myself over the course of probably 75 minutes, and I would suggest splitting it with friend due to the strong alcohol content.

Overall, this is an excellent beer, and deserves to be ranked as highly as it does. This beer would truly be great sitting by a fire on a cold evening.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

A - Pours like a slightly thinned black enamel with a nice two-finger, medium-brown head that fades fairly quickly, but leaves heavy lacing in its wake.

S - Sweet-smelling, with strong vanilla and chocolate, not unlike a malted black-and-white milkshake. No kidding. Undertones of tobacco and (obviously) bourbon. Possibly the best-smelling beer I've ever sniffed. Almost seems a sin to drink, but if I must...

T - Up-front malt, oak, and warm alcohol on first sip, not unlike what I imagine a coffee-flavored bourbon to taste. Second sip brings out more flavors. This is a complex brew. Lots of tastes now. Chocolate more pronounced, and oak moves to the finish. Lots of dark flavors and slight spice.

M - Smooth and chewy like a stout should be, but finishes quite dry. Has a little bite to it. Coats the palette and lingers, even a few minutes after finishing.

D - Due to the dry finish and complexity, it practically begs to be sipped over and over. I often drink stouts quite slowly, but not this. It's what I call "dangerous" - high alcohol that is incredibly drinkable. Possibly the most drinkable stout I've had.

Overall, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, especially being such a fan of the "ordinary" Breakfast Stout. While I'm not entirely certain it lives up to hype, my score certainly tells a different story. I can honestly say that I think it's the best stout I've had. However, I think I still *prefer* to drink others.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

A - Pours a thick black with a creamy, tan head. Quite a bit of lacing on the glass. Nice looking stout.

S - Smells very strongly of coffee. Chocolate tones are there too. A little vanilla in there too. The scent of bourbon comes in a bit later but its definitely there.

T - Tastes just like it smells: rich, roasty and complex. The coffee and chocolate flavors play off each other beautifully. Whiskey tones are there the whole way, although not overpowering. Its a nice complimentary player. Alcoholic, whiskey like finish.

M - So smooth and creamy. Low carbonation level is perfect. Absolutely amazing mouth feel.

D - This one lived up to the hype for me. Surprisingly drinkable for an 11% beer too.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours total black with a fair size brown head. Pretty good retention with a bit of sticky lacing down the glass. The nose is a coffee assault - the moment I popped the cap off the bottle, my nostrils were being assailed. Wonderful.

Taste has the strong coffee taste, with layers of bourbon, vanilla, toffee and a fair bit boozy - there was also a characteristic that reminded me of cough syrup or NyQuil, which distracted me a bit from time to time (note from the future: I don't experience this every time, so I'll just mark it down as my screwed up palate). Aside from that distraction, the taste is excellent. Extremely intense taste. Mouthfeel is absolutely phenomenal - silky smooth, space-gobbling full, and perfect carbonation. I don't think I've ever experienced a better mouthfeel.

Phenomenal stout. This thing is huge in every sense of the word.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Split a 12oz poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: This Cure-all pours a syrupy thick opaque brown. Even cures away the light from the lamp next to me. About 3cm of copper creama colored head. Lingers for a second or two then recedes to a thin film on the surface of the oil. Specks of lacing on the walls of the glass; probably will disappear once drinking has begun.

Nose: First wiff this elixer smells like a top of the line Mocha from my fav coffee haunt. Soft milk chocolate hints laced around some bitter coffee and sweet milk. A sort of dusty coffee scent as well, like if you were to sniff a really, really thick cup of dark coffee brewed in a french press. Almost makes me think that when I taste it, it will leave a coating of sedimentary coffee grounds. A bit of toffey. And a hint of booze.

Taste: Again reminds me a lot of a very sweet mocha. The flavors here are very subtle and bold at the same time. There's a big coffee chocolate base to the flavors. But, there's also a milky softness to the palate. Vanilla is there, along with milk chocolate, and a nice espresso-in-a-latte bitterness. Some musky hops rest on the aftertaste. Booze is in the taste, some may think a little too much. This is super tasty.

Mouth: Founder's Magical Cure-all is thick and smooth. Milky almost in texture. Still has a nice carbonation that keeps it from getting too muddy on the mouth. Don't need no sugar to keep this medicine down.

Drink: This is a big, thick, coffeyey son of a bitch. Drink this quickly and yous a fool for a number of reasons. This deserves to be sipped and appreciated. And its pretty boozy...

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Snifter.

Appearance: Pure black with thin cappuccino colored head and some spotty lacing.

Smell: Lots of layers here - chocolate, espresso beans, vanilla, oak, cherry, cocoa, char and molasses.

Taste: Chocolate, coffee, molasses and licorice upfront and then becomes more bourbon-like with vanilla, oak and cherry. Rich, complex and delectable.

Feel: Low carbonation, thick and chewy body, wonderfully smooth, extremely warming - almost burns down the throat.

Drinkability: Fantastic cross between an Imperial Stout, coffee ale, and Bourbon-aged beer. Never before have I finished a beer over 10% abv and immediately wanted a second. Too bad I have a kids to get to sleep and can't pass out before they do.

4.23/5  rDev -7.2%

Presentation: One of the first pours from a 2009 barrel, on tap down at Sycamore's Founder's Beer Dinner

Appearance: Pitch black, and I mean BLACK, opaque beer, with a large creamy dark tan cap with good retention and some nice thick sticky lacing.

Smell: Massive aromas of coffee liqueur and dark chocolate; this is sweet, lightly boozy, rich, and wonderful

Taste: Wow, this has aged beautifully. There are notes of rich medium-roast coffee, dark chocolate, a mild bourbon character with some dark fruit as well...coffee is predominate here, but this has aged very nicely and everything is blended together into a nearly seamless whole. As it warms, the chocolate notes become a bit more pronounced, and the booze emerges a bit, along with some very light wood notes

Mouthfeel: Smooth and fairly rich/full

Drinkability: You know it's strong...but you keep drinking it...

Conclusion: I had high hopes for this, and they were well-met. One of the best coffee (and bourbon-barrel, for that matter) stouts I've had to this point. Well-done Founders. I don't know if it's sharper and more intense when it's fresh; I'll have to wait until the bottled 2010 comes out in two days; what I will tell you is that with a year of age on it this is great.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

2010 vintage, poured from a 12oz into a nonic imperial pint glass.

A- Oily, impenetrable black pour with some understated lacing. A thin, creamy caramel head lingers densely around the edge of the glass.

S- Bitter chocolate, cracked, dark roast coffee and smoky hickory wood. A powerful and outstanding smell deserved of a brandy snifter.

T- Triumphant. Dark chocolate, espresso, vanilla bean and bourbon notes rise like an Italian aria. Deeply kilned and roasted malt are overwhelming, resonant and thunderous, with carefully balanced adjuncts lingering in the finish. I hate to jump on the bandwagon and proclaim this to be the finest imperial stout I've ever tasted, but I have no reason to lie to you.

M- Can the body get any fuller? This beer coats the tongue richly, like chocolate pudding. A splash of CO2 complements its charred-chocolate character, but a nitro tap would improve its consistency to the point of perfection.

D- So bold that I can't call it sessionable. This beer is a meal, one so satisfying that another plate would just be decadent. Drink this like a fine liquor, or digestif, perfect for after dinner. I wish Michael Jackson (the beer critic) could have lived to try this.

On this St. Patricks' day, I am proud to be from Michigan. This is stout ale. This is real American beer.

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

A-Poured into a glass, a dense, 2+ finger width, light brown head appeared and remained for several minutes leaving a fairly uniform residue around the glass. The beer was very dark, virtually black with redish hues and so thick that direct sunlight could not penetrate through.

S-Potent malty-coffee-chocolatey aroma is immediately evident with hints of vanilla, oak and bourbon fighting for their place.

T-Despite the lack of aging, the bourbon is well masked until after the swallow and the heat then reveals itself. The coffee and chocolate flavors meld well together and there is a smooth silkiness throughout the tasting process.

M-Very thick and creamy and the liquor presents itself at the swallow with a slight bitterness and heat which should mellow with aging.

D-Excellent sipping beer. I started at cellar temperature and allowed it to come to room tempature as I sipped and enjoyed this one for over and hour. I can't wait to crack the next one!

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice.

A- Pours a deep black with minimal light coming in around the edges. The head is pretty typical of this style of beer, barely a cap on it and settles on the edges. There is pretty good lacing left on the side of the glass.

S- Rich dark chocolate with a heavy dose of coffee. A good amount of toasted malt in there as well. The bourbon melds well with the other scents and doesn't take over. When it warms, the oak comes out as well.

T- Dark chocolate with a little bit of coffee and a nice brown sugar in there as well. The bourbon seems to add a smooth undertone to the beer. The alcohol becomes a little more present as the beer warms up. Very nice balance all around.

M- This is a full bodied beer that coats the mouth and provides some bitterness on the tongue and a little bit of a dry finish. You also get a little warming the back of the throat from the alcohol. It has a little more carbonation that some other beers of the style but the thicker mouthfeel makes up for it.

D- This beer is a sipper for sure but it is smooth and rich. I would have no problem having a consecutive glasses of this. I would have to say this is more balanced that the regular Breakfast Stout and not as bold of a coffee flavor. Should be interesting to see what a little bit of age does to this beer.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a oversized wine glass. This beer was expensive man 21.99 for a 4 pack. Still lets see what we got.

A - Pours a gorgeous pitch black oily beer with a nice reddish hues. There is almost no head but a thin little fizzle that leaves a nice ring on the sides of the glass.

S - WOW!! I cant decide were to begin but here goes. First some strong roasted coffee hints are felt. This is followed by some nice rich bitter chocolate notes. Some nice woody notes with hints of vanilla spices and of course some bourbon and alcoholic esters.

T - Ok! I believe this beer is worth the hype. Begins with a nice roasted malt flavor with coffee and some nice caramel sweetness as well. Woody oak flavors a plenty that lead into the Bourbon notes which are very well balanced and not too overwhelming like other Bourbon aged stouts. Chocolate hints a plenty that are well balanced by some nice vanilla bean spices. The woody notes also carry a nice spice to it and there is definitely some alcoholic warmth as the beer goes down. Very delicious.

M & D - Nice oily and creamy mouthfeel with a full body. Nice CO2 balance. Great beer. Drinkability lowered because of ABV but I would definitely have more of this as time goes by.

4.36/5  rDev -4.4%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Pours the way a big, bold stout ought to: deep pitch black (or is pitch "KBS-black"?) with a quarter-finger of burnt sienna head that dissipates into a flat cloud lingering on the surface. A slight bit of sudsily-ringed lacing is left behind. The nose has a seemingly unhealthy amount of wood in it, almost as much as a small forest. There's also some bourbon, maple syrup, molasses, dark roast coffee, and charcoal smoke, making this one of the darkest-smelling brews I have ever had. That said, the coffee, wood, and bourbon o'erwhelm the other notes a bit, leaving me an iota unfulfilled. The taste marks a second manifestation of the nose: heavy wood notes, bourbon, molasses, vanilla, smoke, nutmeg, dark roast coffee, toffee, and a hint of chunky peanut butter. This is a fair improvement on the nose, and leaves very little to be desired. The body is indeed pretty hefty, but not too much so. The low carbonation, thick chewiness, and spitefully smooth feel all lead to a high drinkability, though this brew is clearly not a gulper; rather a highly enjoyable deep-sipper. Definitely lives up to the hype!

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Finally got my hands on some KBS!!! And damn it was worth the wait!

A: This beer pours a rich deep, dark, opaque black. No real head sits on this one, but a brown film sits on top and stays throughout. Very spotty, minimal lacing is left on the glass.

S: Nose is of rich roasted malts, coffee, milk chocolate and light hints of bourbon.

T: Taste starts with a touch of caramel sweetness, hints of vanilla and perhaps a touch of dark fruits. Rich prominant coffee flavoring mingled with milk chocolate comes in. Roasted and burnt malts then take over made bitter with some baker's chocolate. Bourbon then begins to creep in ridiculously smooth. Finish is light continued bourbon flavoring mingled back with more coffee notes.

M: Medium to full bodied, low carbonation, rich and creamy with a chewy finish.

D: This beer is ridiculously and dangerously smooth. Well balanced, quite complex, flavors play off one another, and great representation of the style!

3.45/5  rDev -24.3%

Fair bourbon imperial stout with a charred coffee range.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle. Light cream and dark brown label, highlighting name of the brew with a small tongue-in-cheek paragraph about what it does not ail, alongside a presiding intro about its acclaimed status. Notes IBUs (70), and Alc. by Vol. (11.2%). Served into a snifter.

A - Black pour with brown edges, nice 1/3" bubbly brown head, poor retention and lacing with a fair surface memory ring.

S - Prominent coffee nose, burnt coffee that is, riding roasted malts with a mellowing whiff from a boozy bourbon touch on its back.

T- Charred coffee, malty notes with an acidic follow up that is finished with a nice bourbon pull. Uff, this reminds me of my problems with mainstream coffee in the States. Luckily the bourbon and boozy feel does some to rescue the brew from the coffee pits of their Breakfast Stout, although it is close. The acidic coffee note seems to be woven and not helped but enhanced by part of the hop bill. Faint vanilla-oaky notes riding the finishing coat of bourbon as they try to come to the rescue and add some make up to the pig that I have been kissing now for a while. As it warms up completely even a sweet sugary touch emerges. I wonder if some aging will help this a bit as hops subdue in a nice meld, and somehow coffee integrates with some benevolence.

M - Medium-full body with tingly carbonation held around a warm boozy finish with an overall creamy smoothness that unfortunately is hurt by the coffee profile. Otherwise its mouthfeel would be its most redeeming feature.

O - This is not bad but reminds me of "carajillos" i.e. mixing black coffee with whisky, cognac or a similar liquor, which is fine for those who like it that way. I typically enjoy the coffee on its own and the liquor sitting right next to it. Plenty of coffee and bourbon aged stouts offer a rich range, which feels like its own enticing brew and not a mix. For me this is not the case...

Notes: Unfortunately this is not for me. It is close to the shortcomings of their Breakfast Stout with an awful coffee offering, which kills the quality of the brew. I´m constantly surprised that this is so popular, but it could be a wrong turn in my palate... It´s like bad quality coffee trying to hide under an aggressive roast. I have chewed coffee grains on several occasions and one can notice the difference in quality, typically a bitter range is prominent but good ones have a nice range and a quality to them that low quality ones often translate as crash and astringent bitterness. This one feels like bad grains... And typically coffee stouts can get away with mediocre beans and average malt roasts if they do it well, let alone using quality stuff that really kicks them up a notch, but this? I really wonder what they are doing and if it is actually quality why it comes out in this manner. I know that very acidic coffees do not agree very well with me so that could be it.

Different brews but pricing, hype and quality considered I´d take Goose Island Bourbon Stout ahead of this any day, or even some underrated brews like say Schlafly Reserve Bourbon Imperial Stout... Sorry KBS, it's me not you.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Ah, my pretty. I love this beer despite the limited number of bottles I've consumed (around 5-6?).

A - Exactly what it should be. Darker than dark body, teeny tiny mocha head that disappears except for a few lingerers throughout.

S - bourbony chocolatey coffeey goodness. Unlike, say, Black Ops, the bourbon in the nose doesn't waft up the booze. Perfectly balanced between the coffee and bourbon (larger notes), vanilla, oak, roasty malt; that's enough of the description while it's sitting here in front of me.

T - heavenly. A bit of sweetness up front with more of the chocolate, which blends smoothly into coffee and vanilla, oak, a little tiny bit of sweet booze. Then it segues into the bitter coffee and oak, with lingering bourbon notes that keep lingering after swallowing. The coffee is present throughout but blended enough that it doesn't overpower - same goes for the bourbon. The blending with aging (after one of last year's) isn't necessary, but it makes it unimaginably smooth. The blend from sweet chocolate to bitter coffee, all the time underlined with the woody vanilla of the bourbon, is sublime. The best-tasting imperial stout I've ever had, taking the title from Sexual Chocolate, Dark Lord, etc.

M - just right. The carbonation is there in moderation throughout, with a great thickness. This isn't motor oil or Guinness, it's where it should be in between. It would be perfect if the carb was just a tad lighter.

D - amazing. If not for my brain, I could easily down one of these quickly and be really happy. Or I could sip on several over the course of a night. For a bourbony imperial stout over 11%, it just doesn't get any better.

And, in my opinion, it just doesn't get any better among imperial stouts. My favorite.

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company