Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) | Founders Brewing Company

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout)

Founders Brewing Company

ABV varies by batch.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-13-2004

Reviews: 3,042 | Ratings: 11,888
4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

I decided to crack a 2009 vintage bottle tonight to see how it's aging. 12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

This beer is very dark brown to black with a finger of very silky chocolate milk colored head. The head fades into a thin layer and leaves very spotted lacing.

The nose is full of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, and baker's chocolate. It smells delicious!

The first sip hits me with coffee and bourbon. I'm actually getting a lot more bourbon in this now than when it was fresh. The vanilla and chocolate come next and are rounded out with some oaky tannins and alcohol. There's a slight bitter finish that lingers in between sips. The alcohol isn't hot, but it is warming.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy with low carbonation, but I wouldn't say it's slick.

One of the best imperial stouts out there and a must try if you haven't already. I can't wait for the next release.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

12-oz bottle of the 2008 vintage poured into a tulip.

A = Dark mahogany, very small medium reddish tan head. When I first started pouring I thought it was flat, but some carbonation did show up after all.

S = Vanilla, oak, chocolate powder, some mustiness (not as in an off way) but more of the nice smell of an unused, clean attic, even some hints of dark fruits, plums, dark cherries.

T = Wow! The bourbon tastes are still in there in force, also very strong flavors of chocolate and vanilla, some woody oak, and also still some of those fruits I picked up in the nose but much more subdued given the wealth of flavors up front.

M = A truly exceptional mouthfeel, full bodied, great mouthcoating, frothy, luscious, creamy. Just excellent!

D = A little strong in strength of flavor and burn to rate perfectly in drinkability. You don't just want to quaff this. On the other hand, it is really good, I really want to keep taking each sip and look forward to the next time.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Slightly chilled poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Deep black. The head was roughly an inch thick with a caramel coffee coloration. Left a thick lacing behind as well as a "stained" look on the empty glass.

Smell: This beer has an invigorating smell that is remeniscent of espresso beans with a hint of Bourbon.

Taste: A seemingly complex taste for a stout. The beer has a bourbon laced coffee taste. It is malty and sweet with a smooth taste of bourbon/vanilla. The alcohol can easily be sensed from the first drink making it a nice beer to savor. Took me about 35 minutes to finish the first one.

Mouthfeel: It has a nice thick coating feeling which leaves every taste bud tingling and exploring for ever note of the beer. Surprisingly has an alcohol type burn similar to a shot of bourbon.

Drinkability: Like I said, it took me 35 minutes to drink one but this isn't a beer that was meant to be devoured immediately. It seems to mature the longer it sits in your glass so patience is rewarded. Overall drinkability is very good.

Was served out of a bottle. I recently talked with a Founders Rep and he stated they have it on tap currently. I'm going to try and hurry in for some. I guess they also have some great habanero beer. Can't wait.

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

2009 bottle of KBS consumed on 9/24/09, served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Poured with a small foamy brown head that dissipated leaving almost no lacing on my glass. The beer is black and lets no light through.

Smell: Amazing, so strong I can smell it 2 feet away. Strong delicious coffee, Dark chocolate, deep roasted malt, faint sweet plum, and a small amount of toffee.

Taste: Strong coffee like the smell, nice roasted malt flavor, sweet malt, plum flavor is more prevalent in the taste than smell, some sweet oaky and bourbon flavors, dark bitter chocolate. The flavors are combined so nicely, I can only imagine what a few more months would do to this beer!!

Mouthfeel: Thick body, very smooth with a nice, but small, amount of carbonation, a little sticky sweet, leaves mouth with a nice roasted dry feel and a little bit sticky. Very little alcohol burn, especially considering the ABV on it.

Overall: Amazing drinkability!! So many huge aromas in the smell, it made me think this would be difficult to finish... until I tasted it. Despite the huge coffee flavor and roasted malt this beer is so smooth!! The sweet character combined with the bitter roasted/coffee/chocolate flavors and oaky bourbon keep me very interested. Quite complex and smooth... just what I was hoping for!

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not sure how old this bottle since I randomly came across it...I know it's not fresh...there was the tiniest "tss" sound when I opened it which made me think it might have lost it's carbonation...

This beer pours a thick jet black. It gloops nicely into the glass. With a vigorous pour there is initially no head whatsoever, but it eventually erupts briefly into a small dark tan head and recedes relatively quickly. Nice lacing that doesn't seem to budge.

Strong smell of oak and a smokiness that was also present in the regular breakfast stout. Espresso, chocolate, and bourbon combine in a way that's reminiscent of a coffee liqueur. Heat from the alcohol is nice and not overpowering.

Rich...very rich...the taste goes a long with the smell with more bitter chocolate and dark roasted coffee. It sort of expands in the finish with the oak and smoky flavors.

Thick and oily with very little carbonation, smooth and not cloying...the flavor slowly erupts and lingers with a very long finish

For the ABV it's very drinkable, the bourbon is not over the top and it's very rich and thick. Even though I wouldn't guzzle this beer, I don't exactly feel the need to call it a "sipper"

Founders has really perfected balance with this beer. All of the flavors are pretty evenly represented. Nothing is too much or too little. I think the bourbon flavors could have been easily over the top for me since I'm not really a hard liquor fan, but it's evenly balanced with coffee and chocolate. Just plain delicious!

Phenomenal...to be able to have just as rich (if not richer) chocolate and coffee flavors as a Peche' Mortel but have 11.2% alc. as opposed to 9.5% blows me away!

My girlfriend and I had it for the very first time last night and what made it even sweeter is whoever rung us in at the register charged us for only 1 instead of 4!!!

Extremely smooth and HIGHLY recommended to anyone that enjoys a good american double!!!

Cheers!!!

Tom and Analise

3.83/5  rDev -16%

Purchased in a 4 pack of bottles.

Beer pours with some viscosity and little head. What head there is dissipates quite quickly.

Smells delicious, caramel, malt, chocolate with a hint of hops.

Initial taste has some bite, but mellows out quickly. Definite biscuit, chocolate with a silky smooth finish. No real strong aftertaste, ends up surprising clean. Feels quite nice, low on the carbonation a bit but not too shabby!

A drinkable beer without a doubt.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was poured on tap into a snifter glass. The beer was black wtih a brown head. The head was big and fabulous. There was a definite chocolate aroma (which is a bit of a surprise). The taste was super chocolately and you could feel the bourbon barrel but not overwhelmingly so. The alcohol was noticeable and had a bit of a bite on the tongue (I imagine before aging it might have had a lot more bite!) Drinkability... I never know how to rate drinkability on a high ABV beer, it's drinkable, yes, only to a point!

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared by Arbitrator, labeled as KBS (I heard this is due to a similar legal problem that caused Kentucky Fried Chicken to be called KFC). If lawyers have their way, we'll be speaking in all acronyms before too long. Anyway, this beer owns something fierce, almost but not quite eqaul to the legendary Canadian Breakfast Stout.

A - Pours a viscous, oily jet black with a small, creamy tan head that leaves a ring around the glass. This has legs like a Swedish bikini model, i.e. they're very good.

S - Aroma is coffee, roast, chocolate, and high-quality Kentucky bourbon.

T - Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt that adds a little sweetness, vanilla, oak, and of course loads of bourbon. Not too much though. Almost but not quite as good as Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. A little boozy, but certainly not unpleasantly so...or maybe I was just too drunk to notice (and you can't blame me since we had all three Breakfast Stout incarnations at this tasting + other awesome stuff).

M - Palate is smooth, creamy, and oily with low carbonation. Some alcohol warmth.

D - Pretty good for a bourbon barrel imperial stout.

4.2/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Thick syrupy black in color. Two fingers of thick creamy medium brown head. Good rention and plenty of lacing. Very beautiful.

4.5 S: Bourbon and pungent espresso offer a big punch right from the get go. Roasty toasty barley and chocolate top off the aroma.

4.0 T: I am a bit disappointed. The taste is very good and I really enjoy it. However, the bourbon and coffee don't mesh as well as I hoped or expected. Flavors include lots of bourbon, lots of coffee, chocolate and roasted barley.

4.5 M: Full body. Very creamy and smooth. Warming on finish.

4.0 D: Alcohol is less pronounced than I'd expect and that is great. Like I said in the taste section, the coffee and bourbon competes rather than complements. I probably won't be having too many more of these since GI BBS is a much better bourbon barrel brew and the regular FBS is a much better coffee stout.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Recently sampled on both bottle and draft. The below mirrors most of my thoughts from the draft version, but with a few noted differences. The bottle was approx. a year old or more.

A - Dark brown, minimal head... good lacing. While the tap version stuck to the glass, leaving a sticky film after each sip, there was very little of that from the bottle.

S - dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate, slight milky sweetness, wood, subdued burbon and booze. Much more mellow than draft.

T - As the scent goes...complex blend of dark roasted coffee, dark chocolate combined with a delicate blend of burbon, vanilla, wood with a touch of milky sweetness. The bottle version featured a more mellow burbon taste which allowed the other flavors to stand out and blend.

M - Medium bodied. The bottle version is much smoother, slightly lighter and less sticky than the tap.

D - Well the bottle version wins out over the tap version in my book. The extra aging gives the flavors and textures a bit more time to mellow out and blend together. The subdued boozyness increases the drinkability. The only attribute that was less desireable was the appearance due to lack of full head and lack of coating.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Acquired this beauty thanks to BEERchitect. I've been dreaming of cracking this open for weeks. I've woken up in a cold sweat a few times dreaming of dancing Founders bottles with KBS letters flying out at me and into my mouth, and rivers of dark tasty liquid showering me in droves of awesomeness. And now its finally time to sample this thing. I feel like that virgin 17year old at prom that finally steps into the hotel room with his date, made of beer.

A: AS it pours it leaves a dark stain on the air. As it rims around the glass it also leaves a dark brown syrup on the sides, it so thick I can't even call it a stain. I can only match the thickness of this to 40W oil after it came out of a 200k mile car and was there almost all 200k miles. I can almost see chunks of grains floating out with it, but I think that's my brain on KBS. A very faint almost detectable head starts to appear, but it's just a tease as it fades from memory and leaves a few small cliques of bubbles

N: Despite being able to smell the roasted malts and chocolate from the stains on the air, I decided to go in deeper. I think I need someone to cover me. The nose is so overwhelming I think my insides just stained a dark coffee brown color. Tons of coffee and roasted malts just come billowing out of the glass on a horse of dark bakers chocolate. It does remind me a lot of regular breakfast stout at this point, but then comes the awesomeness of the bourbon and oak. The remnants of the bourbon and alcohol dance their way into my nostrils burning the edges slightly as my nose both cringes and begs for more like a sadomasochistic kid getting his first taste of the whip. Did I mention there was some coffee and chocolate there?

T: Oooohhhh snap! Here comes the train. The molasses thick oil like liquid slowly spreads out over my tongue. Lots of sweetness and chocolate come spreading out. The coffee instantly wakes my ass up, hence breakfast. The alcohol taste and burn really just lashes out at my mouth with hot pokers almost as if my mouth has just died and gone to hell. The bourbon taste starts to come through once the heavy set chocolate and coffee attempt to die out. And by attempt to die out I mean when your mouth starts to become used to it because this stuff never goes away. More dark sweetness that could only have come from the depths of Candyland hell start to berate my taste buds for attempting a second sip. It leaves a thick coating all around the mouth as if it was secretly made of wax that sticks when warm. It also seems to leave a slightly milky residue bringing me back to 5th grade and dousing my milk with so much chocolate I used to just take the Hersheys plastic container and fill IT with milk rather than the other way around. Some quick oats dash their way into the taste enough to make a horse blush. A touch of oak and vanilla round it off, if you can say that.

M: Really? Have you not figured out by now? Super thick and sticky, a viscosity of some huge number. The alcohol burns the edges of the mouth and any flesh that dares stand in it's way. Could use a slight bit of more carbonation, but that is most likely a product of the aging.

F: Finishes semi sweet, like just chewing on a piece of rubber coffee cake and then biting on some baker's chocolate. The thickness fills all the pours and taste buds so much so that I don't think I'll be able to taste my dinner tomorrow. The coffee's caffeine can't be absorbed anymore as everything is coated with that huge thick substance, more solid than liquid. The slight oak and vanilla, followed by bourbon and more alcohol seem to fade last on the tongue, except the chocolate and coffee which never disappear. With it being so ridiculously thick and strong tasting I can barely continue to sip it.

Final thoughts: While I'm sitting here enjoying this amazing beverage that I have been having wet dream about, I think my house is on fire, my son is probably in the corner chewing on wires or something, and the Patriots are somehow getting their butts kicked by Buffalo, but none of that matters as my world fades into a vertigo feeling as I blissfully attempt to consume and digest this crazy stuff. It's almost as if I'm living vicariously through myself trying to enjoy this, or am I still dreaming. Perhaps its a coma I slipped into when I took my first sip of it. I don't even think there is a word in the English language to describe it, so I'll make one up. This beer, is it still really a beer at this point, anyways this beer is transcendingerompteous. Need I say more? Can't wait till this stuff comes around again.

Edit: The Patriots came back to win with :50 left in the game, 2 hours later, just as I was finishing up the KBS!

4.94/5  rDev +8.3%

Usually, Im the type who is disappointed when something his hyped, this case did not hold true.

Just darkness. Angry deep black darkness. Thin and short lived brown head. Huge bouquet of chocolate malt, well roasted. No trace of bourbon or even alcohol for that matter. Just incredible depth.

Taste is beyond description, just more going on here than one's taste buds can tell. Ive never had something like this before. Tons of dark chocolate, roasted coffee, some smooth bittersweet malt (presumably from the bourbon), significant bitterness adds depth to the monstrous wall of dark chocolate. Bitterness is well blended in. Nice dry grassy hoppyness. Theres just an insane amount of flavor here, but its organized confusion.

Body is beyond just chewy, its more like a steak. Its a meal, full beyond comparison.

Its more than drinkable, its an easy addiction.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Yum...

A- Dark dark dark! Opaque black with brown head and decent lacing, moderate head retention.

S- Coffee, vanilla, bourbon, dark malts... just smells delicious, there's more to be found in every whiff.

T- Oh wow... not as much bourbon as BCS, but I love it! Big roasted malts, espresso, some dark fruit, bourbon, chocolate--it changes with every sip. Not very much alcohol in there either.

M- Velvety and thick--perfect for the double imperial stout.

D- Gotta slow down, but this one is epic. I love it.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured into snifter. ('08)
A: Lacing hangs to the side of glass, color is dark as night. Mild retention, expected for a stout of this stature.

S: Slightly smokey bourbon which mixes with a scent of oaky dark fruits (prunes/raisins) that cannot be overlooked beyond the everpresent irish/coffee undertone.

T: The coffee overtones complement the everpresent boozy character which allows this to be such a strong stout that is also paired with a dominating aged fruit body.

M: Thick full-body with adequate carbonation. At first it appears that you are sipping an ealry morning mocha which quickly turns into a slightly acidic magic bullet with tones of coffee, roasted malt, and bourbon chocolate that diffuse into a pleasing aged fruit character.

D: This russian imperial stout not meant for summer sessions; but rather long, cold winter nights.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

My first review in a while that did not come from Abe's Cold Beer in Bethlehem, rather I picked this up at one of my spots just over the border in Pburg, NJ. Been looking for this one for a loooong time, so I was thrilled to finally get a shot at a legend.

A: Jet black color with a micro thin tan head that disappears almost immediately but leaves a bit of lacing.

S: Bourbon and coffee dominate the nose with chocolate shavings underneath.

T: Starts with a SMOOTH bourbon infused chocolate flavor which is balanced perfectly by an undertone of lightly astringent/ bitter coffee/ hops flavor.

M: Full bodied but extremely smooth with little carbonation. A pretty easy drinker for a beer of this strength.

D: The smoothness of this brew really blew me away, I didn't think a beer of this size could be drunk that easy. Probably the best bourbon barrel aged brew I've had as the bourbon flavor was perfectly balanced with the other flavors. I've been sold on Founders for a while, but this brew is a further testament to their greatness. I still think their Impy Stout is better, but if you're a fan of Founders try this beer at all costs.

4.73/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Very dark, almost black with a small amount of brown head.

S: Roasted coffee aroma with a hint of bourbon.

T: Nice coffee and chocolate taste with a bourbon finish. This beer got better with each drink. I had heard a lot about this one and was not disappointed.

M: Smooth with just enough carbonation.

D: I would definitely get more when it becomes available again.

3.94/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Pours pitch black with very small head that diminishes into a very small ring.

S: The smell is fantastic! Aromas of coffee, whiskey, milk chocolate, and dark roasted malt.

T: The taste mimics the nose but without any whiskey flavor which is pretty disappointing. I was expecting more milk chocolate/vanilla flavors and they are no where to be found. There's a hop/burnt malt bitterness in the finish which really wasn't what I was expecting either.

M: It coats the mouth and feels about like an imperial stout. Very light carbonation at first but it shows up if you swirl it in your mouth.

D: The bitter finish and the disappearing act the whiskey does in the taste plus the high ABV really don't make this very drinkable for me.

I was really excited when I smelled this beer but the flavor really came up short for a bourbon aged beer. I didn't think I'd say this but I think I prefer Bourbon County Stout to this.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

12 oz. bottle, shared at an impromptu throwdown at CCB today. poured into a snifter.

A: Almost opaque, dark brown color. The pour produces a finger of sand color head the retained nicely and left nice spotty lace.

A: I get the coffee at first, almost like used coffee grounds. Then hints of vanilla and chocolate. The burbon is not in your face, but present.

T: There's the burbon. Subtle but very nice. Again, I get the coffee, vanilla, and chocolate, and a very nice earthiness. Finishes dry and burbony, with just a hint of alcohol.

M: Silky smooth from the barrel aging. The carbonation delivers the flavors nicely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is great! I am a coffee and burbon fan, so this one is just about perfect. This is a must have, and worthy of its place among the best beers in the world. Skal.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Another excellent bonus from Masterski.

Pours pretty much flat black: no head, a little white lacing. The smell is whiskey, dark dried fruits, toffee, cocoa. The taste is burnt malt, chocolate, whiskey, more chocolate, of the salty, bitter, unsweetened variety, in the aftertaste; coffee taste is mild but throughout. It's viscous, low in carbonation, nicely filling. Too easy to drink: the alcohol is not apparent.

4.82/5  rDev +5.7%

On the unofficial last night of summer, I figured that I would cap off an incredible summer of beer consumption with one more special treat from my trip to Pittsburgh one week ago. The trip that brought Yellow Bus, BA Decadence, and BA Yeti continues to give. Picked this bottle up at the Fathead's bottle shop.

A: Just about everything you would expect from a big imperial stout. Thick in the pour like a used 10-W30 motor oil. It almost looks like syrup as it leaves the bottle and deposits itself in my glass with hardly a disturbance to the surface. Black, dark, and creamy. The laces start as thick rings and finish as speckles of foam as the lacing slowly slid back into the beer. The only thing missing here is a bit of head.

S: Where do I even start? Hazelnut coffee and dark roasted malts spring out of the beer into my anxiously waiting nostrils. Bourbon and vanilla find their way with a little more effort, and as I bury my nose in my glass, I can make out some freshly ground coffee beans as well, rounding out a stellar aroma.

T: Complexity out the ass...let's see how I can describe it...It starts with the roasted flavor of dark coffee. As the beer sits on my tongue, maple syrup swarms around my pallet as if I just drowned a stack of pancakes and went in for the first bite. Oakey and vanilla notes fill in as the syrup reluctantly bows out and all of a sudden BAM! There is the bourbon. It really gets you, and if you love bourbon, this is a dream come true. The bourbon, like the rest of the flavors, lingers just long enough to satisfy, then moves on. It gives way back to coffee in the aftertaste, and a slight taste of alcohol in the exhale, bringing the flavor full circle.

M/D: Extremely thick, as I mentioned before. Every bit as thick as the pour indicates. Almost no carbonation at all. The texture is silky, smooth, and creamy. The complexity is the most amazing part of this beer. I have never experienced so many flavors in such even and well- balance proportions. A bit too heavy for more than 2, but an absolutely phenomenal beer. I am so happy that I was able to enjoy this.

4.69/5  rDev +2.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth goblet. Bottled 2/16/09

A - Pours an opaque, pitch black. A vague attempt at forming a head, but it ultimately fails, only creating a short lasting dark tan colored collar and small islands on the surface.

S - Smells heavily of coffee, deep and roasty. Dark chocolates and licorice join in with a faint bourbony aroma and a hint of vanilla too. Very thin alcohol smell contributes as well.

T - Taste closely mirrors the aroma. Lots of coffee and dark chocolate flavors. Heavy roastiness. Vanilla flavors keep things smooth. Bourbon flavor adds nice complexity without lots of alcohol burn...just a nice warmth. Where GI BCS is bourbony and hot, this is smooth, complex, and much more drinkable.

M - Thick and oily feeling. Coats the entire mouth. Alcohol level and bourbon aging provide some warmth that lingers. Vanilla stays well into the aftertaste and gives a rich, smooth finish.

D - Bourbon barrel aged beers take on lots of different characteristics. This is probably my favorite of these beers. The aging gives lots of added flavors making this beer taste great. The big trick is obtaining the complexity without the heat - something this accomplishes very well. I want to feel like I'm drinking a beer (albeit a strong one), not a shot of bourbon. Given the strength of this, it is extremely smooth and drinkable...just great for this style.

4.07/5  rDev -10.7%

bottled on 02/16/09, poured into pint glass from 12floz bottle

A - bottle pours a pretty thick pitch black liquid, that only forms about a single mm of head after a forced pour. the body is pitch black. head is so incredibly minimal that is is quite a let-down on the visual aspect. what little head there is has a medium-dark brown colour to it.

S - the top note is espresso. smells quite a lot like chocolate covered espresso beans, which is the chocolate aspect mixing into the predominant coffee part. the mid note is dark roasted malts, while the rest of the aroma way down below it all is this slight whiskey flavour, a bit spicy and boozy, but for the most part the nose is completely dominated by this chocolate covered espresso bean aroma. would have liked to see more of the kentucky aspect, and have a much bigger whiskey presence.

T - the taste is like a mirror refleciton of the nose: majority is this distinctive choco-espresso bean flavour, while the malts are in the middle with some slight whiskey taste. the initial taste is the choco-espresso and some slightly sweet malts; bitterness is definite at 70 ibu but there is no real identifiable hoppy bitterness, nothing vegetal; slight alcohol warmth and minimal whiskey taste along with it. the finish has more of a dry alcohol taste than a whiskey burn. the espresso bean flavour also stays with us for the entire finish; slightly more bitter at the far end of the finish than the rest of the process. the aftertaste is like i've had a handful of dark chocolate covered espresso beans. I am throughly unimpressed with the beer; though it is very smooth and tastes pretty good, the redundancy of the taste and distinct lack of whiskey is much to much to ignore.

MF&D - the one real redeeming factor for this brew is that it is very very drinkable despite the high abv. one hardly (sadly) taste the alcohol or whiskey barreling process. aside from that, the body of the beer is too thin for the style. american doubles are supposed to be thicker than an ris, but this is barely cutting it for that. it has a heavy body, but one at the far light side of heavys. not something for which I would dish out the money again, much prefer the regular breakfast stout.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Many thanks to rnorgart for the hook-up in his Ghetto Fabulous BIF! 12oz bottle into a Great Divide tulip (bottled on 2/17/09).

According to the label, KBS "is good for everything a stout ought to be good for". So I guess if I ever run low on motor oil, this beer just might do the trick. After all, it pours like the stuff--viscous, oily, black. A dark brown head creeps slowly from the depths beneath and eventually settles to a scant ring of foam. A few speckles of lacing cling to the glass. An earthy, musty aroma eminates from the hops amidst a black sea of baker's chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans, and vanilla-rich bourbon. The alcohol is hardly noticeable...quite a feat considering the monster ABV on this thing. Sharp, woody tannins and spice round out the astounding aroma.

Designer dark chocolate bars and booze-soaked bourbon-barrel planks fight for the tastebuds, with the alcohol eventually winning the rights to the back of the tongue and throat. The finish is sticky with a warming booze and bitter with earthy hops, but neither in a harsh way. Few beers completely coat the lips, tongue, and roof of the mouth like KBS. This. stuff. is. THICK. Thankfully, there's enough carbonation to keep this behemoth afloat, as the mouthfeel is equal parts velvety smooth and spiced with booze. Founders manages to both set trends in the American craft brewing industry and simultaneously raise the bar, and as such, KBS deserves its place among the top of the the category that is "Extreme Brewing".

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle. Pours black with a small light tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, chocolate peanut butter, coffee, and a touch of bourbon. Flavor is a touch more bourbony with more chocolate and lots of coffee. The bourbon is light but definitely present in the flavor. This is s good beer! Better than the original? Maybe...

Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) from Founders Brewing Company